Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Mick T. T.W.F.N. Solo vrs. Sway Solo
Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: April 29, 2010 01:48

I'm sorry but I know how everyone drops their jaw over time wait's for no one. but .um...... really? his Best? I disagree.. I think Sway is his best solo it is sooooooo beautiful and melodic it doesn't even compare to time wait's for no one

Go ahead and bash me taylorist's

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Re: Mick T. T.W.F.N. Solo vrs. Sway Solo
Date: April 29, 2010 01:49

Oh and what about Brussel's ? His solo's on y.c.a.g.w.y.w. and m.r. are beyond description!!!

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: April 29, 2010 02:46

Not to open an old can of wormsbut people compare for obvious reasons MT to RW. I am not going to go there. But ia
have always felt that was an incorrect comparison. MT should be compared to Jimmy Page and in my mind is a much better guitarist. Very similar styles.

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: April 29, 2010 02:56

I agree and don't feel Time Waits is the best either. Never cared for it much myself actually. However I am now in the mood to dig out some 73 shows to listen to!! Magic.

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: April 29, 2010 05:02

Not to open an old can of wormsbut people compare for obvious reasons MT to RW. I am not going to go there. But ia
have always felt that was an incorrect comparison. MT should be compared to Jimmy Page and in my mind is a much better guitarist. Very similar styles.

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: russr ()
Date: April 29, 2010 05:07

Sway solo beats Time work by a mile. It's just a knockout. My favorite MT solo's are the live Gimmie Shelter's from 1972 and 1973. I think I have about 50 different versions and they all kill. Just brilliant.

Posted by: msw2525 ()
Date: April 29, 2010 07:31

I also never really got into time waits for no one. not a bad solo but the song just never did it for me. Now sway on the other hand is by far a favorite of mine. I always liked his solo in dead flowers too, the fluid licks that mick could play will never get old to listen to.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: April 29, 2010 11:14

Sway by a million miles, TWFNO is complete crap!

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: April 29, 2010 11:32

TWFNO is complete brilliance!
As is Sway...

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 29, 2010 14:58

I have to go with Time...

Date: April 29, 2010 15:10

<MT should be compared to Jimmy Page and in my mind is a much better guitarist.>

Er, the comparison should be with more traditional lead players, imo. Page is an allrounder like Wood. Taylor is not. IMO, he can be compared with Clapton, David Gilmour etc. Page never had that clean, vibratic, virtous tone that the other british lead player have. He is more of a songwriter/riff/melodic/lead player, if you get my drift.

Just my two cents.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 29, 2010 17:16

Taylor is an all rounder, as you can hear on my YT channel. He rocks, he bluesses, he's playing ballad leads and solos. He can play jazzy, he can play acoustic. Because he's in the first place a musician, in the second an instumentalist. Inventing solos like on Sway and TWFNO is a form of composing. Well, listen for fun to these two alternate Sway and TWFNO guitar parts by Taylor. He kinda lives in those two songs.

(second song/part)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-29 17:18 by kleermaker.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 29, 2010 18:36

Sway is a much better all-around song. Taylor shines when he has a great song to play with. As a mere soloist without the context of superior material, arrangements and other players, he is far less interesting.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: April 29, 2010 18:47

Well, Sway is a better song but Nicky Hopkins also really adds to this track...IMO---Without Nicky this song would not be the gem it
really is....Jagger, Taylor and Nicky take a great song and take it to another level. A gift from the gods...

I have alway loved TWFNO but Mick Taylor is the one who makes this song so great. He poured his heart into this song
taking it also to another level too..Without Taylor it would not be the same song. He makes this song!

So TWFNO imo has the best Taylor solo....

Date: April 29, 2010 18:47

71Tele
Taylor shines when he has a great song to play with. As a mere soloist he is far less interesting.

With this part I totally agree. I would add: Taylor can make a great song sound superior when playing in a great band or a with a good partner indeed. Somehow he has to be inspired to get out the best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-29 19:06 by kleermaker.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: April 29, 2010 19:59

TWFN has a scale as it's theme (so has the eastenders theme and there's bound to be others.) then goes in other directions.
sway solo hits us like a hammer and keeps on going.
sway and TWFN , Both solo's are played over a two chord section, brilliantly!
(so is the classic solo on i'm free from 69)
i would have to pick sway 'cause its smoother and more exiting!

Date: April 29, 2010 20:04

solos on Winter and SAL deserve some mention here too!

Posted by: Rank-Outsider ()
Date: April 29, 2010 20:18

Taylor delivered so many beautiful solo's, that's it hard to choose between them. I think that the solo on Time Waits For No One is loved for a good reason. Whenever you put on good headphones and smoke some reefer (Dutch quality of course!), that solo will blow you away. He plays it with so much soul and style, that at some point you don't even realise that your listening to a song any more. In some way Taylor pushes the laws of nature on that song to the maximum with stunning results.

Another favourite of mine is Taylor's solo on Love In Vain from Ya-Ya's. I don't think I ever heard a more beautiful blues solo than that. Ever since I heard it for the first time, it is a solo that I can play in my mind whenever I want to. It sticks like glue in your head.

OT: I recently saw Keith perform Slipping Away on the Twickenham DVD from the Licks Tour. It was an amazing performance, but I have no words to describe the second solo of that song, that night. It doesn't matter which solo/lead guitarist you bring to the table, for me Keith is the best in every department.

At 4.28.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-29 20:25 by Rank-Outsider.

Date: April 29, 2010 20:59

kleermaker
Taylor is an all rounder, as you can hear on my YT channel. He rocks, he bluesses, he's playing ballad leads and solos. He can play jazzy, he can play acoustic. Because he's in the first place a musician, in the second an instumentalist. Inventing solos like on Sway and TWFNO is a form of composing. Well, listen for fun to these two alternate Sway and TWFNO guitar parts by Taylor. He kinda lives in those two songs.

(second song/part)

I think you´re missing my point, kleermaker. No doubt Taylor can play what he wants brilliantly, if he would focus on that. But he doesn´t. He doesn´t focus on the rhythm - he searches for ways to bring the rhythm back to leads (and I´m not talking about short licks here). Page and Wood are different guitar players that emphasize the song/songwriting imo. Taylor is about icing the cake brilliantly, doing what he is best at, imo.

Date: April 29, 2010 22:20

Well, Dandelion P., of course Taylor doesn't focus on rhythm in the first place, because he has a story to tell. Icing the cake is much too superficial a qualification. That doesn't apply to what Taylor did with the great Stones songs. Wood remains/remained within the limitations of the songs, he adds/added nothing to them, but Taylor put them on a higher level. That's the main difference. It's not about beauty or "icing the cake", it's about telling the essence of the song by his own voice: the guitar. Jagger knew very well that he did and so did Keith. Keith had a problem with that, because Taylor did something he couldn't. Jagger, not a guitar player in the first place but a VOICE, understood Taylor much better and admired what he did, especially on stage. The interaction between Taylor and Jagger has always been great on stage. The same thing with Watts, who estimated Taylor's contribution musically and philosophically very well. I guess Keith as well, but his ego was too big at that time. Jagger never forgave Taylor leaving the band. He knew his band lost a dimension which wasn't possible to compensate. Listen to the vids on my YT-channel. I can't illustrate it in a better way.

I lost my interest in the Stones when Taylor quit, not directly, but when I discovered that the band had gone back to a lower scale. Again, especially on stage. I heard them play live with Wood twice (76 and 82) and with Taylor once (73). I kept on buying the new Stones albums of course, but the times I've listened to LYL and St.Live are not more than the number of fingers I have on one hand. I missed something essentially. Now that I've recently downloaded so much stuff from the Taylor-era I'm more aware than ever why my preference is so outspoken. Music of the quality of the best Stones songs has to be performed at the highest musical and emotional level to move me. With Taylor it works mostly, with Wood (with all respects for his abilities as a guitar player) it never did. In the end it's a musical and emotional matter.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 29, 2010 22:30

Looks like your my twin brother Kleermaker..........I feel the same

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 29, 2010 22:43

Something you said points to why you don't get say the best of the Ron Wood era, possibly the earlier Brian era too?

kleermaker
Music of the quality of the best Stones songs has to be performed at the highest musical and emotional level to move me.

The above quote articulates and makes sense of a whole lot of posts by you here, but I'm curious as to how you view Brian Jones in all of this? You don't say much if anything about that era, so I'm curious to know.

Seems to me you can't appreciate simpler music that at it's core is mostly about instinct, gut reaction focusing more on over all combined rhythm rather than melodic lead guitar playing. I mean, do you like the raw releases from the people who inspired and influenced the band, including Taylor?

Date: April 29, 2010 23:15

Well, HM, I just posted my top ten (instead of 7) of favourite official Stones albums. That answers your question a great deal I guess. As Taylor in an interview simply said: Music is a combination of rhythm and melody. There must be a certain balance and I think that balance was at its best during the Taylor era ON STAGE. Very raw at times as well. For instance SFM, Brown S, MR, All down the line, etc. I guess my YT-channel answers your question too.

In my top 7 I have Buttons and Aftermath which I consider as strongly-influenced-by-Brian albums. If the question was: What official Stones albums do you listen to mostly, my answer would have been: Soup, Buttons and Ya Ya's. But I have a special affinity with Aftermath and Satanic. Satanic is a beautiful, musical and emotional album. I don't understand why the Glimmers have dissociated themselves so much from that special album, which imo stands apart from Sergeant Peppers.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 29, 2010 23:29

kleermaker
71Tele
Taylor shines when he has a great song to play with. As a mere soloist he is far less interesting.

With this part I totally agree. I would add: Taylor can make a great song sound superior when playing in a great band or a with a good partner indeed. Somehow he has to be inspired to get out the best.

This is an 180 Kleermaker. 3 months ago (7.546 posts by yours truly) you butchered me and several others as we stated that Taylor can put the icing on a already fantastic cake, but if the cake's not good Taylor can't do anything about it.

As you now seem to agree with this, then you also agree that Taylor's influence was minimal, and that basically with any other super lead guitarist of the time Sway would still be Sway, Can't You Hear Me Knocking would still be a fantastic piece of music, Exile would have been Exile and we all would have praised X's solo's on that magical '72 tour.

Concerning Ron Wood, I am of the opinion that musically he was far more important than Taylor ever was, as much of what Richards wrote and played was directly influenced by his interaction with Wood. Whether you like the result (Some Girls, 81 tour etc) is a different matter.

Mathijs

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 29, 2010 23:40

Concerning Ron Wood, I am of the opinion that musically he was far more important than Taylor ever was,

Music has nothing to do about important, it's all about what you feel

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 29, 2010 23:44

NICOS
Concerning Ron Wood, I am of the opinion that musically he was far more important than Taylor ever was,

Music has nothing to do about important, it's all about what you feel

You don't understand what I meant: I meant that Wood has had a much greater influence on the music of the Stones than Taylor has ever had.

Mathijs

Date: April 29, 2010 23:57

Mathijs, did I really butcher you? I had at least no intention to do that. I disagree with you as for the "icing of the cake" opinion as I explained up here in this thread. But I agree and have never denied that the cake has to be a good one indeed for Taylor to put it on a musically and emotionally higher level, which no other lead guitarist could have done imo. Because Taylor is a one of a kind musician and guitarist.

I say that you injustly draw the conclusion from what I said that "any other super lead guitarist of the time etc." Without Taylor Sway wouldn't have been Sway, TWFNO no TWFNO etc. The point is that imo Taylor is a very special, even unique musician/guitarist who can do what I said in my former post up here. And he could do that at his best with the Stones.

Maybe you're right concerning Wood's influence on Keith. I think that Taylor had much influence (with great results) on at least Jagger. And I think, but that's of course a guess and my personal impression, that also Richards did learn a lot from Taylor. They were a supertrio, certainly on stage, and they learned a lot from each other.

Posted by: loveyoulive75 ()
Date: April 30, 2010 01:28

I'll take MT's "Sway" solo over "Time Waits..." anyday, but my personal favourite studio solo of his has always been the one in "Winter". One of the most beautiful things I have ever heard in my life. I don't really consider myself to be a very emotional kinda guy, but the first time I actually listened to "Winter" I started tearing up. Awesome song.

I think "Shine A Light" is another classic Taylor solo.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 30, 2010 01:40

kleermaker
Well, HM, I just posted my top ten (instead of 7) of favourite official Stones albums. That answers your question a great deal I guess. As Taylor in an interview simply said: Music is a combination of rhythm and melody. There must be a certain balance and I think that balance was at its best during the Taylor era ON STAGE. Very raw at times as well. For instance SFM, Brown S, MR, All down the line, etc. I guess my YT-channel answers your question too.

In my top 7 I have Buttons and Aftermath which I consider as strongly-influenced-by-Brian albums. If the question was: What official Stones albums do you listen to mostly, my answer would have been: Soup, Buttons and Ya Ya's. But I have a special affinity with Aftermath and Satanic. Satanic is a beautiful, musical and emotional album. I don't understand why the Glimmers have dissociated themselves so much from that special album, which imo stands apart from Sergeant Peppers.

Thanks! thumbs up

Totally agree with you regarding TSMR!

Date: April 30, 2010 04:23

Wow, I thought this was just a "Sway" vrs. "T.W.F.N" question. hehehe... great how the topic went everywhere.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1718
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home