Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Will there be another all new Stones cd?
Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: April 25, 2010 19:08

I have heard quite a few people of late claim that the Stones will never make a new cd and from this point on there will be nothing,but archival releases and maybe a few "Plundered My Soul" like "new" songs.

On the other hand the Stones have never said this. In a recent interview Keith Richards spoke openly about the Stones getting together later in the year to record a new album and tour.

Granted, I take anything that Richards and Wood say with a huge grain of salt, but my gut feeling tells me that the Stones aren't done creating new music and touring. Perhaps that tour won't be on the huge scale of the last twenty years (which would be a good thing) but I think we will see them in some form again.

Does anyone know what the real story is? Do you think the Stones will produce at least one more studio album and tour in the future?

Re: Will there be another all new Stones cd?
Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: April 25, 2010 19:12

I sure do hope there will be another Rolling Stones album of new songs. But I've probably just heard the same rumours and quotes that you have.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 25, 2010 19:18

What purpose would it serve, really? They have nothing to say. They haven't had anything to say for a long time. They're like an old prize fighter who thinks he still has one last great fight left in him, but then, when he gets in the ring, every round is the same story. It's all he can do to just stand there and hold his hands up for three minutes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-25 19:20 by tatters.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 25, 2010 19:40

No.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 25, 2010 19:46

There will probably not be another Stonesalbum in the future, but as long Charlie Watts is banging the Boogie like he does with his current project the beat goes on!

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: April 25, 2010 19:49

Hard to say, I think touring is out. They are tired out from last tour. but anything is in the future. Who knows. Hope so but it won't be this year. Bring out your boots guys and turn it loud.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 25, 2010 20:27

I never dreamed I'c hear myself saying that I sincerely hope they don't produce a new cd - not if ABB is an indicator of the quality of songs. I've said it on here on another thread, but in my opinion the only Stones output worthy of taking seriously would be something along the lines of Stripped - covering old country, blblues and reggae songs. That would be a huge success and would suit their abilities at this moment in time. It's so sad to hear some of the music they've produced in the last 10 years...it's very poor compared to their classic stuff. Did someone mention old prizefighter coming out of retirement!

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: April 25, 2010 20:28

The answer is YES, many CD 'll be released in the future :
- Best of
- Greatest Hits I
- The very best of
- Greatest Hits II
- Absolute Greatest
- Platinum Collection

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 25, 2010 20:32

>grinning smiley<

You forgot...

'The Ultimate Collection'
'More from the Vaults'
'Liver than they ever Were'
'Hot Rocks Vol90'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-25 20:35 by crumbling_mice.

Date: April 25, 2010 20:40

tipps
Hard to say, I think touring is out. They are tired out from last tour. but anything is in the future. Who knows. Hope so but it won't be this year. Bring out your boots guys and turn it loud.

you don't think they'd tour again?

it seems the stones at this stage are, if anything, creatures of habit. the 5-0 is coming up, can you imagine mick NOT $$capitalizing$$ on that with at least a tour? probably the same revue style set-up with huge stage, high ticket prices, etc...

i do think though there will be longer period of days off between shows, but it will probably be the per usual 18 mos. to 2 year run. it would be surprising too if they don't record a new (or at least partly new) release to coincide with any tour they do.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: April 25, 2010 20:42

I'm 100% sure they'll commemorate their half century with some new shows and a CD.

50 not out!

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: April 25, 2010 20:43

Yes there will DEFINITELY be a new Rolling Stones cd. ABKCO is working on it right now. smiling smiley

Date: April 25, 2010 20:46

crumbling_mice
>grinning smiley<

You forgot...

'The Ultimate Collection'
'More from the Vaults'
'Liver than they ever Were'
'Hot Rocks Vol90'

'through the vaults darkly'

'beyond the valley of the vaults'

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: April 25, 2010 21:01

What are they supposed to provide to Universal? How many CD?

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 25, 2010 21:12

There will be another CD and another tour.
The tour will be shorter than the other ones - and probably less stadium and more arena.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 25, 2010 21:20

The Joker

They're not contractually obliged to deliver ANY as far as I can see. They have a 5-year deal with Universal which they signed after SAL - around May/June 2009.

IF they release any new studio material in that time, it will be released by UMG, but its not like the label will get any money back from them if they fail to deliver. The money they were paid to sign related (I believe) to their back catalogue.

Date: April 25, 2010 21:49

The Joker

taken from NYT article in '08:

Ending months of speculation in the music industry, the Rolling Stones have left EMI, the record label that has released the group’s music since the early 1990s, and signed a long-term recording deal with the Universal Music Group, the company announced on Friday.

The worldwide contract covers "three new albums" and the rights to release the band’s valuable catalog of music recorded since 1971 for about five years, according to people with knowledge of the negotiations who were not authorized to speak about them publicly. The contract calls for an advance of $15 million and brings the Rolling Stones’ entire output under Universal’s roof, since the company had already distributed the band’s pre-1971 music through the Abkco label.

of course, define "new"-there is now way they'd do 3 studio albums in 5 years.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 25, 2010 22:30

If anyone wants to take me up on a friendly wager about whether "three new albums" will be delivered to Universal, I'm game. That means three albums of new material, not live or repackages or outtakes from old records.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: April 25, 2010 22:31

Three new albums?

I guess that means a true new one, a live one and a compilation... all supported by a limited tour of the major markets.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 25, 2010 23:22

kissinc***incannes
The Joker

taken from NYT article in '08:

Ending months of speculation in the music industry, the Rolling Stones have left EMI, the record label that has released the group’s music since the early 1990s, and signed a long-term recording deal with the Universal Music Group, the company announced on Friday.

The worldwide contract covers "three new albums" and the rights to release the band’s valuable catalog of music recorded since 1971 for about five years, according to people with knowledge of the negotiations who were not authorized to speak about them publicly. The contract calls for an advance of $15 million and brings the Rolling Stones’ entire output under Universal’s roof, since the company had already distributed the band’s pre-1971 music through the Abkco label.

of course, define "new"-there is now way they'd do 3 studio albums in 5 years.

They havent done that in 25 years.

You'll be lucky if they put out three new songs in that time.

I think the sentiments in this blog [lefsetz.com] - whilst I dont agree with some of the tone of it, are a bit more realistic :

as is this comment - "Insiders know those records are probably not guaranteed and will probably never be recorded…"

Basically, regardless of what it says, the Stones arent obliged to do anything as their advance (a mere £15 million - a miniscule figure compared to what CBS and Virgin threw at them) doesnt specifically demand a set amount of new product to be delivered to fulfill their contract.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-25 23:23 by Gazza.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: April 25, 2010 23:27

the guy makes some good points in the link gazz posted

Date: April 25, 2010 23:52

Rik
the guy makes some good points in the link gazz posted

definitely.

i pulled these two paragraphs because it says a lot about the state of the band and how they relate to, i.e. their lack of relevance, to the state of music today:

"If the Stones gave the middle finger to the business entirely… And started marketing their music themselves… Then I’d be interested, then I’d care. But they’re renting these old masters the same way a real estate developer’s son rents out the tenement his father built way back when. There’s no new investment, just profits on what once was.

Embrace new technology. Sell your new music cheaply online like Paul Westerberg. Call Irving and make a deal with Wal-Mart… Shit, he got double digit millions for ONE ALBUM! A cheap impulse item. Maybe an album of old blues covers, your influences. Maybe the Stones PLAY Wal-Marts… Or at least one, chosen by fan/shopper demand. But the Stones don’t want to take a risk, they don’t want to invest in themselves, they just want to clip coupons. And only those who clip coupons can believe that this deal makes any difference."

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: April 26, 2010 00:00

71Tele
No.

they're funny... predictions, I mean, when you have nothing to prove 'em... we'll see mate, we'll see! let's hope you're wrong.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 26, 2010 01:44

Perhaps...Even More Hot Rocks. But wait! For ONLY $49.99 you get this EXCLUSIVE box set of Got Live If You Want It!, Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out and Rolled Gold! A limited edition box set.

We had/have/had Made In The Shade, we should get...Burnt In The Sun
We had Time Waits For No One, we should get...Everything Is Turning To Gold
We had/have/have Sucking In The Seventies, we should get...Oozing In The Eighties
We had Rewind, we should get...Forward.
We have Jump Back, we should get...Leap Ahead.

Ha ha. Maybe we'll get Fifty Riffs.

Can ABKCO possibly release another album with the same tired songs on it in different order AGAIN? YES! OF COURSE THEY CAN! It's what they do best!

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: April 26, 2010 01:57

James Kirk..You ask *Does anyone know what the real story is*about a new Tour+Album.The answer to that is No not really.Theres probadly only a few people that could answer that question and thats The Rolling Stones themselves.The Stones will tell us in their own good time what their plans are for the future.Its all Crystal Ball stuff at the moment.But im pretty sure(90% sure)they will tour again.A new Album about 70%.Like ive said before I dont think weve seen the last of *.The Rolling Stones* just yet..cheers matesmoking smiley

Date: April 26, 2010 02:11

Nobody but the Stones, er, Mick knows about a new Stones CD or record or album or release, whatever you want to call it. Keith doesn't even know. Of course, he doesn't have to worry or be concerned about it. He made a TON of money to never have to worry about anything again if he so chooses to.

It's all and only up to Mick.

When Mick feels bored enough, there will be a new album with one or two decent or good songs on it and a lot of filler and another gigantic tour - yes, there will be another huge huge tour - it's the only way they know how to operate.

But the answer is nobody knows. For short, no for now.

Date: April 26, 2010 02:44

skipstone
Perhaps...Even More Hot Rocks. But wait! For ONLY $49.99 you get this EXCLUSIVE box set of Got Live If You Want It!, Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out and Rolled Gold! A limited edition box set.

We had/have/had Made In The Shade, we should get...Burnt In The Sun
We had Time Waits For No One, we should get...Everything Is Turning To Gold
We had/have/have Sucking In The Seventies, we should get...Oozing In The Eighties
We had Rewind, we should get...Forward.
We have Jump Back, we should get...Leap Ahead.

Ha ha. Maybe we'll get Fifty Riffs.

Can ABKCO possibly release another album with the same tired songs on it in different order AGAIN? YES! OF COURSE THEY CAN! It's what they do best!

Swallowing In the Nineties??

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: April 26, 2010 03:21

Hard to believe they won't make a big fuzz for their 50th anniversary coming
up on 2012.

Date: April 26, 2010 04:14

Gurgling In The Nineties? I like Swallowing...
Yawning In The Oughties?

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: April 26, 2010 04:24

ChefGuevara..It wouldnt surpise me if The Stones do something for their 50th.But ya can imagine the Parties laid on for them only the best served up there.(Food+Alcohol etc)Some of these Companies who cater for Celebrity Parties will certainly doing alright out of it.Now that would be the Party of Parties..be good if they put it on DVD.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1631
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home