Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
What Stones song turned you on first
Posted by: tipps ()
Date: April 24, 2010 14:53

What was the first, I mean very first Stones song that got you going when you first discovered this band? Mine was Brown Sugar, previous I hear Honky Tonk Women but it did nothing.

Re: What Stones song turned you on first
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: April 24, 2010 14:59

no idea, so long ago... I usually don't remember such things.
but I remember when I got hooked on Led Zeppelin after hearing "Your Time Is Gonna Come" a couple of years ago... my first Led Zep song...
"Blue Monk" by Thelonious Monk... another first... "Hoochie Coochie Man" by Muddy Waters... and so on.

when it comes to the Stones it could be JJF - oh, should be JJF.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 24, 2010 15:03

Going To A GoGo, 1982, while entering a record store.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 24, 2010 15:04

My older brother bought Sticky fingers on the day of release...our house was bouncing for a week solid to that record and everytime I heard Brown Sugar it made my spine tingle...I would sneak in his room when he went out and play it and look at the LP sleeve...it fascinated me the zip that actually was a zip and the inner sleeve which was a pair of boxers...from then on there was no looking back...I absorbed that whole LP and then bought everything on day of release up to Still Life...but for me Brown Sugar was the song and I really dont think there exists a better version live or otherwise than the original...pure dirty rock n roll....ahhhhhhh those were the days boys

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: April 24, 2010 15:06

At the age of 3 (1976), my great grandfather spun Honky Tonk Women and the B-side, YCAGWYW and I was hooked. The first 45 I purchased was JJF/ Child of the Moon and from there I was hooked. Then Miss You & Beast of Burden came out in 78 and I purchased my first Stones album- Some Girls. From there, it was a continual battle of them and the Beatles for my money. Honestly, it wasn't until 1984 (with the Rewind album) that I had heard Brown Sugar & Tumbling Dice. It was then official, the Stones had passed the Beatles as my band.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: April 24, 2010 15:07

She´s so cold.........then I really discovered 63-70...Rolled Gold...

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: April 24, 2010 15:16

First one I remember really liking was IORR.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 24, 2010 15:18

Paint It, Black.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: April 24, 2010 15:22

Satisfaction.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: April 24, 2010 15:26

The very first time I heard the Stones was Satsfaction, I believe, but the first song I really loved was Brown Sugar. Still is my favourite.

Posted by: gagi ()
Date: April 24, 2010 18:03

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: April 24, 2010 18:17

Tell Me.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: April 24, 2010 18:28

19th nervous breakdown----what a great-one

Date: April 24, 2010 18:55

Paint It Black on Tour Of Duty Tv Show in 2006.

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: April 24, 2010 19:06

Not Fade Away from Stones Story (2 LP).
My mother bought that LP and I was imediatly in love with that song.

Mr.Fancyman

Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: April 24, 2010 19:51

Tell me. That song still gives me goosebumps. Love to see them play it live smiling bouncing smiley

It's so very lonely, you're 2,000 Light Years from home

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: April 24, 2010 19:54

Paint It, Black.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: April 24, 2010 20:06

Start Me Up!

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: April 24, 2010 20:48

well i remember hearing miss you, emotional rescue, dance pt 1 and she's so cold on the radio and thought they were good songs but didn't know much about the stones but when i heard start me up i played it to death . then i heard them live on the radio and was hooked

Posted by: rainhog ()
Date: April 24, 2010 21:25

My dad went and bought the 45 of Beast of Burden when it came out. After listening to that I knew The STones were my favorite band.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: April 24, 2010 21:50

Satisfaction/ Get off my Cloud drew me to the Band where I then discovered their new hit Miss You.

Posted by: fuwa ()
Date: April 24, 2010 22:18

The Last Time/Play With Fire. Bought this on 45.

If nothing else happened, these would still be on 60's compilations.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: April 24, 2010 22:52

I was 11 years old and I bought the single," Congratulations" ( the B side to " Time Is On My Side" ), and I fell in love with that vocal and guitar sound. I would play it ten times in a row! I still have that record with the cool purple and white label.

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: April 24, 2010 22:59

Angie

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: April 24, 2010 23:39

Miss you. What can I say? - I was a disco babe. Many, many other tracks I prefer now but I have to have a soft spot for this one, which made me listen to the Stones for the first time.

Posted by: likarollinstone ()
Date: April 27, 2010 23:32

The fist wave was "Anybody Seen my Baby?","Already Over Me", "Out of Control"

then "Paint it Black", "Gimme Shelter", "Angie" ...

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: April 27, 2010 23:36

time is on my side

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: April 27, 2010 23:57

The first one to make me wanna jump around and say DAMN (if I knew how to cuss at 7 yrs old) was "Its All Over Now"

Posted by: skelly ()
Date: April 28, 2010 00:06

crumbling_mice
My older brother bought Sticky fingers on the day of release...our house was bouncing for a week solid to that record and everytime I heard Brown Sugar it made my spine tingle...I would sneak in his room when he went out and play it and look at the LP sleeve...it fascinated me the zip that actually was a zip and the inner sleeve which was a pair of boxers...from then on there was no looking back...I absorbed that whole LP and then bought everything on day of release up to Still Life...but for me Brown Sugar was the song and I really dont think there exists a better version live or otherwise than the original...pure dirty rock n roll....ahhhhhhh those were the days boys

The song that turned me on to the stones was satisfaction. Around about 1989 when I was 12 years old I first heard it. From there I listened to a compilation album of my dad's and someone bought me Hot Rocks and Steel Wheels. But then about 1990/91 I went on a school trip to Belgium and on the way home I bought Sticky Fingers at a service station to listen to on the bus home. That was when I really woke up to the stones.
Listening to it on my Sony Walkman turned up loud, Brown Sugar, great track that I already knew, then Sway, bam bam bam bam. I'd never heard anything like it! Once that was finished on to Wild Horses - again a great track that I already knew. Then CYHMK, I never knew the stones could play like that. This 14 year old boy was rocking! You Gotta Move, where did that come from? Bitch! F*ck me! I could go on but you get the picture.
From then on I couldn't get enough. I don't know if I ever again found that feeling that I had when I first heard Sticky Fingers but I always think back to that day (and night) on the bus playing it over and over again. >grinning smiley<

I think I've bust a button on my trousers....

Posted by: chrismusic ()
Date: April 28, 2010 00:13

Older brother was crankin Midnight Rambler...remember it vividly to this day.

I remember I that at the time I did not know what instrument was making that sound/the harmonica that Mick was playing.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1206
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home