Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Only 9 years between '72 Stones & '81 Stones...hard to believe
Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: April 29, 2010 16:16

So different....any thoughts? These days...9 yrs seems to fly by. Proof that I'm getting old.

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-29 17:49 by sweet neo con.

Re: 9 years between '72 Stones & '81 Stones...hard to believe
Date: April 29, 2010 16:29

Music, lifestyle & image. Yes...I know the Band is a living, breathing entity...always changing etc.....
.. but...very little difference in the 9yrs span between 1994 & 2003.

ok..probably a lame topic. winking smiley maybe not.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-29 21:04 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 29, 2010 16:38

And a very long 29 years since. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: April 29, 2010 16:52

Time passed slowly then, so they say. However artists like the Stones put out stuff almost every year. Drug habits, musical trends, personel changes and technology can make a band change.

Musically: The Stones were a sloppy bar band playing gloriously on statiums in 1981... and like the 1978 Stones I loved this version of the band. 1972? And why is a different band musically? Onstage: MICK TAYLOR Studios: Taylor, Hopkins... and yes I'll give credit to man named Jimmy Miller.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: April 29, 2010 16:55

And another weird thing is some really good songs off the 81 album mor or less originated in the 72-73 sessions! But you are so right about the band looking and sounding totally different from one to the other and both seemed right for the times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-29 16:56 by scottkeef.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: April 29, 2010 16:56

So little is happening in the music business nowadays, it´s all recycling really. Look at the Stones and the Beatles between 1963-69. Only seven years, but an incredible progress. What happened musically in the world between 2000-2010? Nothing.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: April 29, 2010 17:22

think the late 70's/early 80's changed everybody...an amazing change in life, let alone music. I guess music changes with life....

god I miss the Stones...

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: April 29, 2010 17:36

I think it's amazing that all of the Stones, with the exception of Charlie's cancer scare and Ronnie's booze troubles, are still in such good shape. Sure, Keith has arthritis! Well I do too and I'm younger than him! Their lifestyles in the early days seemingly did nothing really to impact their health today. I say SEEMINGLY because none of us really knows what kind of health issues they have on a daily basis. But to think that they're capable of putting on a 2 hour plus show at this point in life is nothing short of miraculous...if they tour again.
I miss the old Stones too, but we should be thankful they've chugged along this long.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 29, 2010 17:37

How about the difference between 1966 and 1969? Only three years, yet worlds apart.

Date: April 29, 2010 17:45

71Tele
How about the difference between 1966 and 1969? Only three years, yet worlds apart.

yes...HUGE

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: April 29, 2010 17:45

even 1971 - to - 1972 ! Stones sound-wise....

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 29, 2010 17:57

Eleanor Rigby
think the late 70's/early 80's changed everybody...an amazing change in life, let alone music. I guess music changes with life....

god I miss the Stones...

I think you nailed it quite well. The arts are an integral part of societal developments. I mean when societal relations change the arts follow them. Artists are of course influenced by their social-economic environment and in a broader sense by societal developments. Late 70's/early 80's was 'restauration' time after the 'revolutionary' sixties/early 70's. The beginning of the 80's was marked by an economic crisis and a shift of power to a more agressively capitalistic society in the west, especially when the cold war was over. Now we can see that financial and commercial interests are dominating everything else. The history of the Rolling Stones, from a rebellious, provocating r&b band towards a corporation band is significant. I think the beginning of the stadium era marked the end of the dominance of creativity and spontaneity. Instead of practising art the Rolling Stones became part of the entertainment industry. In a certain way the Rolling Stones stopped rolling. They've petrified, so to speak. I guess many of us miss the rolling. I for one miss the Rolling Stones from back then.

Re: Only 9 years between '72 Stones & '81 Stones...hard to believe
Posted by: urbanjungle90 ()
Date: April 29, 2010 18:13

Its funny this thread should appear because this is exactly what I have been thinking. The difference isn't in just the albums, also the live shows.

In 72 they were the ultimate rock & roll band, compare the difference of the shows from 72 to 81 & 82. I enjoy some 81 and 82 shows, but in my opinion they're not at their best, more so in 82 then 81.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: April 29, 2010 18:24

I've often thought about the this.... It's mainly how they changed in the 1960s that fascinates me, through to the 70s. Every year they put out music and every year they seemed like a different band - a different look, character and sound.

Possibly it's because I wasn't around in the 60s that I may view this decade in a certain way...... Is there anyone who did witness the Stones in 1960s who can tell us how they changed over time? Did the years go by quick or slow?

1962 - 1972 is a short period of time, so I assume that it went by as quick as it would now. But strangely I always imagine it went by really slowly.

There is a theory that a very busy period seems to go by slowly (like when you're on a holiday)..so imagine possibly the Stones thought 1962 - 1972 went by slowly, possibly fans did also. For me the 1960s seemed like they must have gone by slowly, but the 80s till now has whizzed by.

I'll stop rambling now....

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: April 29, 2010 18:53

urbanjungle90
Its funny this thread should appear because this is exactly what I have been thinking. The difference isn't in just the albums, also the live shows.

In 72 they were the ultimate rock & roll band, compare the difference of the shows from 72 to 81 & 82. I enjoy some 81 and 82 shows, but in my opinion they're not at their best, more so in 82 then 81.

I always think that the 82 tour is unfairly judged . I think we have 1 partial soundboard from Naples and a shedload of 81 soundboards and broadcasts ,so it's hard to compare . I for one enjoyed the shows and thought they played great,especially the last show at Leeds.

sc uk

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 29, 2010 19:02

For me the biggest 12 months in music was autumn 65-autumn 66 which saw r'n'b develop into garage rock and then into the early flowering psychedelia. It Britain we had the Mod movement with bands like The Who and Small Faces coming to the fore.

For The Stones and The Beatles to name just two it was a time for some of the most perfect pop you'll ever hear with acid widening the musical horizons almost on a monthly basis.

For starters we got the fuzzbox and feedback which ultimately gave pop a harder, more chaotic edge with a definite youthful edge to it far away from Tin Pan Ally.

Some of the incredible songs released in these short 12 months are:

Sunshine Superman
Good Vibrations
California Girls
Sloop John B
Paperback Writer
Rain
Help
We Can Work It Out/Day Tripper
Have You Seen Your Mother Baby
Paint It Black
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Get Off Of My Cloud
See My Friends
Till The End Of The Day
Sunny Afternoon
Dedicated Follower Of Fashion
Like A Rolling Stone
Positively Fourth Street
Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window
Rainy Day Women No 12 and 35
I Want You
Evil Hearted You
My Generation
Substitute
I'm A Boy
It's My Life
Keep On Running
Inside Looking Out
Don't Bring Me Down
Shapes Of Things
Over Under Sideways Down
Somebody Help Me
The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore
Daydream
Summer In The City
Homeward Bound
California Dreamin'
Monday Monday
Eight Miles High
Wild Thing
With A Girl Like You
River Deep And Mountain High
Bus Stop
All Or Nothing
Reach Out I'll Be There

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 29, 2010 20:32

time doesn't just seem to fly by faster - it actually does. those interested in finding out more can inquire offline....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1841
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home