Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Songs played by The stones that aren't in 4/4 time.
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: January 24, 2009 18:18

I know only one : "I have been loving you for too long" a Otis redding's song and it's in 6/8. Any others?
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Re: Songs played by The stones that aren't in 4/4 time.
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 24, 2009 18:19

you're kidding, right? there are countless examples of songs being in other time signatures....

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 24, 2009 18:22

there' quite a few acutally a lot of their ballads. But I was just noticing that "black Limosine" seems to have a beet thats in three's. Maybe Some other people who are more savy about blues rythms can clarify for me, but to mee that song feels like its in 3/4 or some equivalent

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: January 24, 2009 18:29

What about Continental Drift?

Date: January 24, 2009 18:37

ryanpow
there' quite a few acutally a lot of their ballads. But I was just noticing that "black Limosine" seems to have a beet thats in three's. Maybe Some other people who are more savy about blues rythms can clarify for me, but to mee that song feels like its in 3/4 or some equivalent

i believe it's 4 on the floor with limo

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: January 24, 2009 18:54

Looking them up in my songbooks: Only band compositions considered; in order of release:

Heart Of Stone 12/8
Long Long While 12/8
Back Street Girl 3/4
She Smiled Sweetly 6/8
Dear Doctor 3/4
Midnight Rambler 12/8
You Got The Silver 12/8
I Got The Blues 12/8
Loving Cup (chorus in 5/4)
Wasting Time 12/8
Melody 12/8
No Use In Crying 12/8
Winning Ugly 12/8

Date: January 24, 2009 19:00

"Ba;ck Limos" is in 4; but it has an over all weird Bar count. We have discussed this here before. "Little Red Rooster" is also like that.
"Continental Drift" is actually in 4's too. But it just has some strange chopped off bars, or a little tag here and there. It is tricky when a riff (like the basic synth here) is in a strange timing but the song on top of it is straight.
In "Rocks Off" the bridge (the "mesmerized" part) goes in to 6/8 then falls back into 4/4.
In "Loving Cup" they add on xtra beat in the chorus, making the "Gimme little drink" bar one bar of 5/4.
"Down in the Hole" in 12/8.
"Back Street Girl" in 6/8.
"Dear Doctor" in 3/4.

Date: January 24, 2009 19:07

Oh that's good. JMick' post came in while I was doing mine. "Rambler" they must be referring to the slow break; because only then does it go into that count.
It's weird; you can count beats differently. "Melody" e.g I can see how the 12/8 count can be reasoned. But anyone counting off the song (matter of fact the way Jagger himself counts it off!) is in 4/4.
"Winning Ugly" - that is just wrong. It's in 4.
All the others are great. "Heart of Stone" is one of those great great songs in 3's. Especially the way they did it on Licks tour. With the horns at the end.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 24, 2009 19:20

the thing is, almost all rock songs can be counted in 4; for example, even if they're in 6/8, they're in patterns of 4 bars, so it's more like 1,2-2,2-3,2-4,2 and then again. I've never seen the difference between 6/8 and 12/8.

the only song that really seems different here is "Dear Doctor." "Black Limousine" has a weird extra 2 beats at the chorus, but the song as a whole is not in an unusual time.

Date: January 24, 2009 19:42

I think MR changes time signatures.
i guess what I hear in Black Limo is that its synchopated, it makes it so you can count along in three's.

If you compare it to Stop Breaking down thats played more evenly and has more of a feeling of chugging along.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-24 19:51 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: January 24, 2009 19:44

Sleep Tonight has some twists and turns.

Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: January 24, 2009 20:41

Oohh please people....get a life.....do something good.....

Date: January 24, 2009 21:37

keeffriffhard

what's your problem dude?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-24 21:38 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 24, 2009 21:41

Anyone know what time signature Gomper is in?

Date: January 24, 2009 21:46

Silver Dagger

13/7 - a common acid sig

Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: January 24, 2009 22:10

ryanpow
keeffriffhard

what's your problem dude?

If you have a critical note, Anglo-saxon people mostly will say "what your problem? (it's like fukcin'their bitches....they always say "O my God, O my God".

Posted by: therollingmanu ()
Date: January 24, 2009 22:21

ventilator blues

Date: January 24, 2009 22:27

keeffriffhard

If you have a critical note, Anglo-saxon people mostly will say "what your problem? (it's like fukcin'their bitches....they always say "O my God, O my God".

I think you're up past your bed time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-24 22:32 by ryanpow.

Date: January 24, 2009 23:31

Svartmer

Actually "Sleep" is just one of those examples like "Continental Drift" that might feel weird and choppy, but that is just because of the syncopated accents within the straight framework. The whole song of Sleep is very straight 4/4

"Gomper" does have a few odd bars in there; when it goes into the stops ("The birds hover high.."), but I would say that the song is basically in 4/4.

To be honest, I have never quite understood why artists feel like they have to force a 7 or 11 count signature on listeners. 4s and 6s feel natural, they make you bop; Genesis had this obsession with 9/8s. There are so many songs of their's when with Gabriel in 9.
And only the master John Lennon ever wrote a song in 7/8 that feels completely totally natural: All you need is Love.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: January 24, 2009 23:50

Palace Revolution 2000
Svartmer

Actually "Sleep" is just one of those examples like "Continental Drift" that might feel weird and choppy, but that is just because of the syncopated accents within the straight framework. The whole song of Sleep is very straight 4/4

And only the master John Lennon ever wrote a song in 7/8 that feels completely totally natural: All you need is Love.

Read what I say, it has its twists and turns, you can´t play 4/4 to that song. Besides, Lennon wasn´t the only one, remember Money with Pink Floyd?

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: January 24, 2009 23:50

I don't think anybody has mentioned 2000 Man... During the verse, the song is in 4/4, but Charlie plays 3/4... one of the greatest rhythm experiments ever. When the chorus kicks in ("Don't you know who's the 2000 Man..." ) the drums return to 4/4, but the drum beat during the verse (Well my name is a number..." ) is a very strange and delightful 3/4.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-25 00:15 by Tate.

Date: January 25, 2009 00:01

Oh yes good one. "Money." Definitely another slick one; I love when what is considered an odd signature makes it's way onto FM< playlist. Then for the solo they go into the straight count. I read this interview with Gilmour, where I think he said it wasn't so much he who requested the straight count, but the others assumed he would want it; something like that.

Re "Sleep" I see it totally straight bars. You can easily play it in 4s;there's the added beat and the dropped beat. Who let Ronnie on those drums anyway?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-25 00:15 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: January 25, 2009 00:19

With 'Sleep,' I think it's just those unversed off-beat drum fills that sound odd, but yes, the song is definitely basic 4/4. Someone said it's Ronnie playing... I think I recall reading that on the funny record sleeve that the DW album came in. It kinda sounds like very loose drum playing. But 4/4 all the way.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 25, 2009 12:28

T&A
Silver Dagger

13/7 - a common acid sig

LOL. Hilarious. I guess that's how they composed that one. Bands like Yes and Gentle Giant must have been out of their kikes most of the time in that case. What a great image.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 25, 2009 20:00

Tate
I don't think anybody has mentioned 2000 Man... During the verse, the song is in 4/4, but Charlie plays 3/4... one of the greatest rhythm experiments ever. When the chorus kicks in ("Don't you know who's the 2000 Man..." ) the drums return to 4/4, but the drum beat during the verse (Well my name is a number..." ) is a very strange and delightful 3/4.

Nah, what you are hearing is syncopation... the song is in 4 4 time, just different speeds for each section. smiling smiley

Posted by: SimonV ()
Date: January 25, 2009 20:12

Well that's not entirely fair. For example, you can count any 4/4 song in groups of four triplets (making it 12/8). That's just a matter of notation. The only interesting thing is to know is if there's any songs in triple meter..

Simon
myspace.com/koningsimon

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 25, 2009 20:38

Jack Bruce and Mick Taylor played Smiles and Grins.The intro is a 7/4.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: January 25, 2009 20:46

Dear Doctor...

The Rolling Stones' "Last Waltz" - until now

Date: January 25, 2009 21:05

Re "2000 Man" Tate has a really good point here. He seems fully aware of the different speed sections. He is only talking about the slow part; ie the verse. And in the verse Charlie does only hit the snare on every 6th 8-beat. It is tricky because technically he is playing in 4/4, just hitting the snare in an unusual place. It's really interesting. because in the little stops at the pause of a verse he adds a little hiccup on beats; to kind of wrap it up.
But what is even more interesting IMO is what he then does in the fast part. Since it does feel very straight and forward there, one assumes that he goes to a regular beat. But what his right hand is doing on the HiHat and then on the Ride is odd; he kind of keeps the 'idea' on the triplets going; just with the right hand.
This is why Charlie is deceptive; he is quite good.
There are a whole lot of types of syncopation, but none really apply here.

Date: January 25, 2009 21:31

SimonV
Well that's not entirely fair. For example, you can count any 4/4 song in groups of four triplets (making it 12/8). That's just a matter of notation. The only interesting thing is to know is if there's any songs in triple meter..

what is meant by tripple meter?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-25 21:31 by ryanpow.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2032
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home