Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rolling Stones "Sympathy For The Devil" Pro-Shot Video , Montreal 1989
Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: January 26, 2009 11:25

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-14 14:54 by UrbanSteel.

Re: Rolling Stones "Sympathy For The Devil" Pro-Shot Video , Montreal 1989
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 26, 2009 13:20

That Sympathy video is still wickedly good, third time I watch it.

I stumbled upon this as well ... a bit strange but pretty good:

Quite interesting how they embraced their psychedelic past quite a bit in the late 80s, which they don't seem interested in today.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: January 26, 2009 13:32

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-14 14:54 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: January 26, 2009 13:53

in its only rock n roll you can only hear that horrible palm-muting metal guitar. keith is barely there and ronnie isnt.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 26, 2009 17:45

During the 'Vegas-era' the biggest unjustice the guys ever have done towards they classics has been towards "Sympathy For the Devil". This 'early' '89 version is still decent and fresh, and Keith still knows how to handle the solo like a competent solo guitarist, but ever since it's been nearly horrible. One of the most genious and dangerous songs ever has turned out to be a ridiculous, childish circus/cabaret number with easy, stupid tricks and gimmicks- I have developed a huge distaste for any of its later versions. Because the Stones seemingly do not have the decency and taste, there should be a law to prevent them for playing this number any longer. It's the Vegas Stones in its most ugliest form. This is not the band I love. angry smiley

But I know all those casual wealthy listeners who have afford to buy the tickets to go have their evening entertainment by the legendary rock and roll band, plus, of course, the people with free 350$ tickets from their corporations, I am sure they all enjoy this cabaret number a great deal. It is aimed totally to them. They won't get their asses up from their seats but they will clap their hands nicely.

Viva Las Vegas!!!grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-26 17:50 by Doxa.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 26, 2009 17:50

good post, doxa. despite the drum loop, sftd was still one of the standouts on sw/uj....keith's satanic work was the fuel that drove it. keith can't cut it anymore and the song has been relagated to a kumbaya moment replete with family participation. oh, the humanity....

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: January 26, 2009 18:39

T&A
good post, doxa. despite the drum loop, sftd was still one of the standouts on sw/uj....keith's satanic work was the fuel that drove it. keith can't cut it anymore and the song has been relagated to a kumbaya moment replete with family participation. oh, the humanity....

Agree with the drumloop! At least in most other versions I've heard, they've faded out the loop and faded Charlie in. That is except for the percussion bits which is okay. The song works much better with Charlie laying down the groove instead of a programmed drum-track. Wonder why they sometimes used it for the whole song, and other times didn't?

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 26, 2009 21:03

these videos bring back memories for me as i was at olympic stadium in 1989 and sat in front of the sound tower in the infield right in the middle .awesome show it was about two shows after the pay per view from atlantic city ,the set list changed a bit we got harlem shuffle instead of one hit,and we got terrifying (the name of the pay per view show from a.c.).for the life of me i cannot remember in living color joining the stones for iorr.man we were feeling no pain that night .the other funny thing about this stadium show was the stage was setup behind homeplate instead of in the outfield .has anyone else on here been to a stones show with the stage behind homeplate?

Date: January 26, 2009 21:08

actually one hit wasn't a staple of the tour, but harlem shuffle was....your "rotation" tune was play with fire, i believe....

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 26, 2009 22:04

T&A, when we went to shea stadium on october 1989 they played one hit to the body which was pretty good but the harlem shuffle was killer in montreal

Date: January 26, 2009 22:55

The Greek
T&A, when we went to shea stadium on october 1989 they played one hit to the body which was pretty good but the harlem shuffle was killer in montreal

i thought hs worked well on that tour...one hit? not so much...

Posted by: marko ()
Date: January 26, 2009 23:20

Harlem shuffle was staple song on 89-90,one hit wasn´t,it was staple in the
beginning of the tour.

Posted by: Montrealsuperfan ()
Date: January 26, 2009 23:42

I was there-great show!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1653
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home