Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Keith: Alcoholic - or not?
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 6, 2009 15:57

I once came across a list (yes-the dreaded lists) where Keith was included in a list of well known alcoholics. It included musicians, writers, actors, politicians, sports stars - in other words the usual suspects.
I know Keith has this reputation of as a hard drinker and that the term alcoholic is on occasions banded about somewhat liberally.
Do people feel he fits into this category?
He clearly isn't in the George Best / Dylan Thomas group who quite literaly drank themselves to an early grave.We are not aware of any severe health problems (eg liver/kidney/heart)with Keith which are usually a feature of heavy drinkers (but not always).
He hasn't I believe gone down the rehab route which may mean he has it under control. It could of course mean he has problems of denial, but then that is speculation.
Keith has always been (reasonably) frank about drugs, but drink appears to be glossed over. Biographies don't shed much light either, strange as you would think - as an observer - that drink does feature a bit in his life!
I hope no-one on this site thinks that I am being to intrusive here - but most issues sem to be discussed fairly freely.
It's possible that more information may come out via his autobiography, but somehow I doubt it.Can't expect the Eric Clapton type of recollections, given that of course Eric is a recovering alcoholic.
Perhaps Keith just falls into that category of heavy but controlled drinker, like many actors, who can turn up on time,deliver when on set and then return to their "hard living" lifestyle.
The "human laboratory" desciption of Keith I generally take with a pinch of salt. For reasons best known to himself (and maybe close family members) he seems to encourage this image. Sure he's done the drugs route + drank heavily but so have a shed load of others - many not around of course to tell their tale. And of course, compared to addicts who aren't cushioned by the support systems which Keith no doubt has in place its not exactly living close to the edge as people might think. I'm sure we all know personally people who literaly have been on skid row or similar.

Any views/comments out there?

Re: Keith: Alcoholic - or not?
Date: January 6, 2009 16:27

After the 90s it's been harder to spot Keith with a drink in interviews. Maybe that means something? I dunno.

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: January 6, 2009 16:29

I think he is an alcoholic for most of his life.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: January 6, 2009 16:45

He's not an alcoholic. He leads happy life (I believe winking smiley) and drinks not because of his problems, but just for fun. That's the difference... He probably was addicted, but maybe not addicted to drinks, but parties and all -> alcohol is for me just an excuse to meet with friends, get drunk and do some silly things tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 6, 2009 16:48

Is the Pope catholic? confused smiley

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 6, 2009 16:49

He likes to play with it, drinking, it seems, to me. But when you read what he says about working, touring and then being home, there's no way the dude is guzzling shit every day like a rock star. Even he says no one really knows so why do they care?

Then you have the people here that have stated, I forget the details, that he'll be sitting at some show (awards, etc) or whatever talking just as normal as any English dude and then he gets up on stage and...he's plowed drunk.

He knows his image it seems. I think he likes to screw with people.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 6, 2009 17:25

doesn't his pic appear in the dictionary next to the word?

Posted by: hummingbird ()
Date: January 6, 2009 17:36

don't know for Mr Richards
but yes, I am...

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: January 6, 2009 17:39

Surely heavy drinking would now affect the medication he is on after the accident?

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: January 6, 2009 18:03

His media image drinks waay more than he does.

OLDKR

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: January 6, 2009 18:07

oldkr

OLDKR

Sounds right to me, I suspect that's exactly the case.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 6, 2009 18:52

Thanks for these coments. I suppose it begs the additional question as to why Keith should wish to present his image in this light. Unless he just wants to persist with the "rebel" image for the rest of his life (when deep down we know that not to be really the man) and show that fame and fortune have not changed him...working class hero eh wot?
One consequence is that for Joe Public he is now known for his "lifestyle" rather than his ability as a musician and composer.Same thing has happened to people like Charlie Parker and Marlon Brando and Elizabeth Taylor - the celebrity image becomes the man, it seems.
This might sit well with him - I don't think he's been a great one for analysing the music.But I wouldn't have thought he goes a bundle on the celebrity thing either.
Still, has kept the Stones image going in the media.
And perhaps, he just doesn't give a shit, whatever.
It's all show biz!

Posted by: R ()
Date: January 6, 2009 19:00

Or NOT?!? Good grief! Keith has an addictive personality. So does Mick. Look at the years of dope. The women. Fortunately now both of their primary addictions are the roar of the crowd.

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: January 6, 2009 19:23

I don't think (based only what I've read, of course) that Keith is an addictive personality. Sure, he got addicted to heroin, but heroin's bigger than anybody and you don't have to be an addictive personality to fall under its spell. However, you can become an alcoholic without being born that way. All you have to do is drink and drink until one day you can't stop.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 6, 2009 19:29

shame for disparging our KEEF

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: January 6, 2009 19:31

"I don't think (based only what I've read, of course) that Keith is an addictive personality."

you are kidding, right?

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: January 6, 2009 20:21

There is such a thing as a stupid question.drinking smiley

Date: January 6, 2009 20:25

i suggest an online iorr intervention - just because we care

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: January 6, 2009 20:27

oldkr

OLDKR

I would think EVERYTHING is way more. I'll bet Keith is a lot different then his public persona. He's probably a good cook.

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: January 6, 2009 20:28

None of us know Keith's intimate habits such as his drinking. If he drinks more than 1 alcoholic beverage a day I would classify him as an alcoholic but, like I said, none of us know. If I were to hazard a guess I would think that he has at least 1 stiff drink a day and I WOULD classify him as a functioning alcoholic.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: January 6, 2009 21:33

more than 1 alcoholic beverage a day = an alcoholic?

that's extreme the other way. Have u ever been to europe? esp the meditteranean cultures where wine is a part of life and many meals?

p

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 6, 2009 21:47

No No No Keith ain't an alco ... He's a flamin' sex-maniac ...!!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: January 6, 2009 21:48

stoneswashed77
"I don't think (based only what I've read, of course) that Keith is an addictive personality."

you are kidding, right?

Not at all. Charlie says Keith always just did a certain amount of any drug and then put it away. Ivan Neville describes how the Winos would rehearse and everyone would do a line and then play, and Keith would keep going and going without another line and Ivan would be behind his keyboards dying for a break so he could snort more, but Keith didn't seem to be longing for it like he was.

Drug user, yes. Addicted to heroin, yes. Alcoholic, now he is. Addictive personality, I honestly don't think so. Not at his core. Just my hunch.

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: January 6, 2009 21:49

We know keith love drinking and he has too much time... but keith is not ronnie. Ronnie has no limits. During the dirty work sessions in paris, everytime we saw ronnie, he has a glass of wine or a beer in his hand. Never seen keith with a glass except when he has a dinner in a restaurant. Only seen him drinking a coca-cola across a window one night at the studio. Sure keith drinks but it is not visible. But when you see his face....

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: January 6, 2009 22:20

I think at this point Keith's liver would explode if he stopped drinking. He's made it all these years, he should just keep going with what he knows.

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: January 6, 2009 23:00

timbernardis
more than 1 alcoholic beverage a day = an alcoholic?

that's extreme the other way. Have u ever been to europe? esp the meditteranean cultures where wine is a part of life and many meals?

p

Don't shoot the messenger but that's how it is. If you drink everyday you are technically an Alcy. I don't make the rules I just report the news.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: January 6, 2009 23:09

Sorry to go slightly ot, but speaking of Central-/South European alcohol-colored cultures and habit;
last fall when me & my sons went to Hungary
we traveled via Bratislava. Man, peoples peed all over the place.
Bars everywhere. No shops, no hotels, no nothing, but bars, bars...
And huge bars... Beer, beer, beer they drank & occasionally a bottle of wine...

Date: January 6, 2009 23:12

Baboon Bro
Sorry to go slightly ot, but speaking of Central-/South European alcohol-colored cultures and habit;

so you're saying that if the stones do a concert there, during keith's set, there won't be a mad rush to the mens' room? just trying to keep it on topic a bit here...

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: January 6, 2009 23:16

Sumfin like that yeah. Yet I dont want noone to romantisize 'rond European alco habits. Nevertheless it looks loose & cozy.

Posted by: keefed ()
Date: January 6, 2009 23:16

Baboon Bro

That's a nice story and strongly related to the topic, thank you.
Another good story about Keef's alcoholism is that have you ever seen a ferry packed with Swedish people going home from Estonia on a foggy Sunday evening?
or another one: have you ever spend your holiday surrounded folks from Sweden?

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1887
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home