Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Is it really Mick Taylor?
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 21, 2010 10:43

No, its Gram Parsons...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 21, 2010 10:52

magee mineko, wonderful cartoons!

- Doxa

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 21, 2010 11:00

P.S. My ideal Stones would be nothing but Bill Wyman on bass, but then all of them - Keef, Mick Taylor and Ronnie - on guitar. The weavers can weave, pose and have fun with the 'straightest' rhytmn section of rock, while Taylor ices the cake and shows some solo brialliance (or is weaving with Jagger actually...). And they would play against the big pictures of Brian and Stu behind. (Ideally I would also take some thirty years out of their age as well - but that is another kind of dream..)

There is enough space for each of them in recent Stones stage! There already are more people than in a small army.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-21 11:03 by Doxa.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: April 21, 2010 11:07

i AGREE IT WAS A 3 CHORD JAM. No bridges, no solos. And MJ has made an effort to create a melody that fits with the thing. Maybe choruses, keyboards , acoustic and lead guitar might be overdubbed.
It sounds very good to me

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: April 21, 2010 11:27

KeithNacho
i AGREE IT WAS A 3 CHORD JAM. No bridges, no solos. And MJ has made an effort to create a melody that fits with the thing. Maybe choruses, keyboards , acoustic and lead guitar might be overdubbed.
It sounds very good to me

The basic track of PMS has never been released on boot with what ever name they gave it?
I am not an expert on studio outtakes, so maybe this is a stupid question.
Just wondered if it ever surfaced before.

Mr.Fancyman

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 21, 2010 11:31

71Tele
Mathijs
ChrisM
NICOS
Where is Mathijs when we need him?
Mathijs, in the end, is like all of us is just expressing an opinion and isn't necessarily always correct. As for my opinion, I can see what you mean about the guitar sounding like Ron Wood's Face's era stuff, but it lacks the "ragged" quality that was part of his sound then. The picking here is very clean and precise and sounds like it's being played sans pick, and these are features of Mick Taylor's playing nowadays.

Amen to that.

My 2 cents: this track and Taylor is produced in a modern way, and hence sounds a bit like Ronnie and the Faces in the best Faces days. The Faces have always sounded more crips than the Stones, and the sound of this track indeed resembles some good old Faces.

Open G is 100% Keith Richards. It has all the signature timing of 70's open G that even Richards himself can't do anymore. It has many simularities with '72/'73 open G tracks like Tumbling Dice and Tops with all the little intricate runs he plays.

Jagger no way could play like this in '72, and I am sure the bass, drums and rhythm guitar are vintage. The way they interlock is almost impossible to do in an overdub. My best guess is that this track is edited down from some very long jam of Wyman, Watts and Richards, with all else being overdubs, or Taylor's guitar edited down as well.

Jagger is on acoustic, as far as I can tell.

Mathijs

Mathjis, are you serious? Jagger played on Stop Breaking Down and Tumbling Dice. Why on earth couldn't he play on this?

Sure, but all of Jagger's guitar parts to date are fairly basic rythm playing, without too many fills and licks, like Sway, SBD, Fingerprint File, Don't Stop, Highwire, Sad Sad etc. Jagger also plays fairly 'on the beat', while Richards was a master in playing around the '1' of the beat. That has become a bit cliche since the late 80's, but in '71/'72/'73 he still had that brilliant timing.

Listen to this track with headphones, there's a lot more going on with the open G guitar than you hear on first listen!

Mathijs

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: April 21, 2010 12:39

The guitar playing styles of MT and RW are obviously different, but they do share some common ground. They both have that harmonising style of guitar playing that is common with guitar players from the 1960s. You can hear it in Jeff Beck and also George Harrison, and Keith of course. So to think that MT on this track is sounding a bit like RW shouldn't be a surprise.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 21, 2010 16:51

Mathijs
71Tele
Mathijs
ChrisM
NICOS
Where is Mathijs when we need him?
Mathijs, in the end, is like all of us is just expressing an opinion and isn't necessarily always correct. As for my opinion, I can see what you mean about the guitar sounding like Ron Wood's Face's era stuff, but it lacks the "ragged" quality that was part of his sound then. The picking here is very clean and precise and sounds like it's being played sans pick, and these are features of Mick Taylor's playing nowadays.

Amen to that.

My 2 cents: this track and Taylor is produced in a modern way, and hence sounds a bit like Ronnie and the Faces in the best Faces days. The Faces have always sounded more crips than the Stones, and the sound of this track indeed resembles some good old Faces.

Open G is 100% Keith Richards. It has all the signature timing of 70's open G that even Richards himself can't do anymore. It has many simularities with '72/'73 open G tracks like Tumbling Dice and Tops with all the little intricate runs he plays.

Jagger no way could play like this in '72, and I am sure the bass, drums and rhythm guitar are vintage. The way they interlock is almost impossible to do in an overdub. My best guess is that this track is edited down from some very long jam of Wyman, Watts and Richards, with all else being overdubs, or Taylor's guitar edited down as well.

Jagger is on acoustic, as far as I can tell.

Mathijs

Mathjis, are you serious? Jagger played on Stop Breaking Down and Tumbling Dice. Why on earth couldn't he play on this?

Sure, but all of Jagger's guitar parts to date are fairly basic rythm playing, without too many fills and licks, like Sway, SBD, Fingerprint File, Don't Stop, Highwire, Sad Sad etc. Jagger also plays fairly 'on the beat', while Richards was a master in playing around the '1' of the beat. That has become a bit cliche since the late 80's, but in '71/'72/'73 he still had that brilliant timing.

Listen to this track with headphones, there's a lot more going on with the open G guitar than you hear on first listen!

Mathijs

OK, I will listen again as you suggest, but right now I would say Jagger on rhythm, Taylor on lead, and Keith on acoustic. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Posted by: urbanjungle90 ()
Date: April 21, 2010 16:57

WeLoveYou
The guitar playing styles of MT and RW are obviously different, but they do share some common ground. They both have that harmonising style of guitar playing that is common with guitar players from the 1960s. You can hear it in Jeff Beck and also George Harrison, and Keith of course. So to think that MT on this track is sounding a bit like RW shouldn't be a surprise.

I agree with that, I cant remember for sure which tour it is, I think its one of the early ones with Taylor so either 69, 70 or 71, but there was one song in particular where he sounded similar to Wood, though more 75/76 Wood style of playing than now.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1753
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home