Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
PMS makes the UK Top 200 singles chart...barely
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: April 18, 2010 18:19

No. 1 single sold 68,000
No. 10 single sold 23,000
No. 40 single sold 8,000
No. 100 single sold 2,200
No. 150 single sold 1,500

And only just...

200. (--) Plundered My Soul - Rolling Stones (913 copies)

Stones' sales are from Friday and Saturday and includes EVERYTHING, digital and physical copies.

Re: PMS makes the UK Top 200 singles chart...barely
Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: April 18, 2010 18:32

913. ROFL! This is laughable, how can it be so bad? That's near to nothing.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 18, 2010 18:33

More appalling promotion from Universal.

If it hadnt been for the Record Store Day, the whole thing would have been totally ignored, and releasing it on a Friday and limiting the number of 'physical' copies available is totally self defeating.

It'll probably also be the last time there'll ever be a 'new' Rolling Stones single released in shops too.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: April 18, 2010 18:47

Yeah, but it only had a couple of days on the market compared to everyone else. I'm not saying it was going to storm the charts, but can you compare it to the other singles that had an entire week of sales?

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: April 18, 2010 18:48

we'll see next week. music video will help!
but it's awful news anyway

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: April 18, 2010 18:49

georgelicks

200. (--) Plundered My Soul - Rolling Stones (913 copies)

Stones' sales are from Friday and Saturday and includes EVERYTHING, digital and physical copies.

I didn't dare to tell but ....I was the one who bought the 913 copies ...

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: April 18, 2010 18:58

James Kirk
Yeah, but it only had a couple of days on the market compared to everyone else. I'm not saying it was going to storm the charts, but can you compare it to the other singles that had an entire week of sales?

It will go down like a stone, the record story day is history, the single is almost out of the Itunes Top 200 chart (#189 today down from #168 yesterday and #133 last Friday) and already out in Amazon.
I can't see it selling more than 300-400 copies by next week.

I say that thanks to the Record Store Day the song made the charts, 90% of the people that got the single is from Stones' forums anyway, no interest outside here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-18 19:00 by georgelicks.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: April 18, 2010 19:04

I wonder how many people, apart from us hard core fans, know the Stones have got a "new" single out.

Date: April 18, 2010 19:08

That 913 number is very poor, but that is about 456 per day, If you were to multiply that by an entire week (like the other singles had) it would be roughly 3,192 sold.

That number (if my logic is correct) would put it somewhere around the top 50. Which wouldn't be a total disaster for a 40 year old song that is getting little to no promotion at this point.

I don't think all is lost.

Despite the album not coming out for another month it's pre-orders have been very solid at Amazon and the numbers will surely rise as the release date gets closer.

The album is already #16 on the Amazon rock chart
[www.amazon.com]

And is #38 in overall/pop sales.
[www.amazon.com]

It was #18 on I-tunes last night.

As the publicity machine starts to get going sales should start to rise.

Date: April 18, 2010 19:13

Georgelicks:

I didn't see your post before I posted. You are correct. The only people who will buy this single are the die-hards. It's more likely that sales will decrease from this point.

On the other hand I think the re-issue of the album will sell farily well once the promotion starts.

No air play means no success on the singles charts for older acts. For example The Eagles had one of the biggest selling albums in the USA a couple of years ago with almost zero airplay. Springsteen and U2 both got to #1 on the album charts in the last couple of years w/out a huge crossover hit on the singles chart.

What radio will play these days simply kills veteran acts on the singles charts despite the fact that fans around the world will fill up 70k seat stadiums at $90-$250 per ticket while those younger acts can't fill 3k seat clubs at $25 per ticket.

It doesn't make sense to me. There is still huge interest in these older acts, but radio won't play their new stuff because it doesn't fit their demo.

The marketing team has to find away around this issue.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-18 19:19 by James Kirk.

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: April 18, 2010 21:36

is the online bought songs counted in those charts or is that just a seperate one?

just took a look on youtube - streets of love music video has about 640,000 views in two years, and that was a hit in some countries in europe... PMS has 35,000 views since thursday - the video is the one from rollingtimes.org, we'll see when the official video is released...

Date: April 18, 2010 22:28

The current charts are a combination of EVERYTHING sold: CD single, vinyl single, digital downloads.

Date: April 18, 2010 22:34

then it seems to be almost incredible low.. I mean, 900? that is like every uk guy on this site... maybe we were the only one who bought it...

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: April 18, 2010 22:35

so there's many of vinyl singles left... I suppose 70% of it is digital downloads... damn it's weird!

Date: April 18, 2010 22:38

also one should add - it is important that everyone buy it, to boost the number - I have downloaded it in some other ways too, but also I have bought it on Itunes to support Stones and the older music...

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: April 18, 2010 22:46

Chris Evans is going to play it on his breakfast show (Radio 2) on Friday May 17th, the day before Exiles release in the UK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-18 22:47 by pgarof.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 18, 2010 22:53

georgelicks
James Kirk

It will go down like a stone, the record story day is history, the single is almost out of the Itunes Top 200 chart (#189 today down from #168 yesterday and #133 last Friday) and already out in Amazon.

I say that thanks to the Record Store Day the song made the charts, 90% of the people that got the single is from Stones' forums anyway, no interest outside here.
Yeah, who wouldn't prefer Lady Gaga, Usher, Adam Lambert or Acapella to Stones. That's quality music. winking smiley

Date: April 18, 2010 22:57

mtaylor
georgelicks
James Kirk

Yeah, who wouldn't prefer Lady Gaga, Usher, Adam Lambert or Acapella to Stones. That's quality music. winking smiley

haha no... but really... someething is totally wrown since no one else seems to buy it, although that is the usual thing for the last 20 years... no one I have talked too outside this board knew about the new single! and it haven't been advertised I think... although many americans both on facebook and here is wondering how to buy it, maybe we can get a higher chart position there...

Date: April 18, 2010 23:00

You need strong promotion to make the upper parts of the charts nowadays, with Youtube and all the piracy who's gonna buy a song by a 10 years old band?
Let alone an almost 50 years old band!

Young and current acts are the ones up there, but for an old act like the Stones no one is gonna buy their latest single, the problem is that the Stones' album sales are horrible too.

Date: April 18, 2010 23:10

georgelicks
You need strong promotion to make the upper parts of the charts nowadays, with Youtube and all the piracy who's gonna buy a song by a 10 years old band?
Let alone an almost 50 years old band!

Young and current acts are the ones up there, but for an old act like the Stones no one is gonna buy their latest single, the problem is that the Stones' album sales are horrible too.

two of the remasters (BB and LIcool smiley made the swedish charts.. bad positions - 35+ , shine a light made nr 6 - a bigger bang was nr 1, and stayed on the chart for 18 weeks, which is the longest run since BtB - also 18 weeeks. Stripped was succesful, went to nr 1 .

But overall I agree with you, very bad record sales. Some of the remasters made billboard top 200 on like what? place 199?

Although it feels like the Exile reissue has got some attention, think it could make higher chart positions... although not top 10... anywhere?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 18, 2010 23:23

I don't think anyone out here thinks that Exile OM street would made the top 10, 20 or 40 anywhere, at least I don't

Nobody, except us freaks are waiting for it ...so thank you Rolling Stones

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 18, 2010 23:37

Why should people buy several versions of same CD?
I already have most Stones CDs and I wouldn't bother buying a new remaster version. The only one I am considering is Ya-Ya and Exile because of new stuff.
I neither buy the latest Live CD's - it is too much of the same.
As long as Stones doesn't produce new music, I have bought my last Stones CD and for what I know, most people are of same opinion.

Date: April 19, 2010 00:19

tiffanyblu
But overall I agree with you, very bad record sales. Some of the remasters made billboard top 200 on like what? place 199?

Although it feels like the Exile reissue has got some attention, think it could make higher chart positions... although not top 10... anywhere?

No remaster made the UK Top 200 albums and only Jump Back made the Billboard 200 at #171 one week.
About Exile, the possible album's performance is a real mystery.

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: April 19, 2010 00:58

It didn't even chart In the US. I wonder why?

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: April 19, 2010 00:58

Its Still not officially being sold here in the States, even on itunes. From what I can tell.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: April 19, 2010 01:21

James Kirk
That 913 number is very poor, but that is about 456 per day, If you were to multiply that by an entire week (like the other singles had) it would be roughly 3,192 sold.

That number (if my logic is correct) would put it somewhere around the top 50. Which wouldn't be a total disaster for a 40 year old song that is getting little to no promotion at this point.

I don't think all is lost.

Despite the album not coming out for another month it's pre-orders have been very solid at Amazon and the numbers will surely rise as the release date gets closer.

The album is already #16 on the Amazon rock chart
[www.amazon.com]

And is #38 in overall/pop sales.
[www.amazon.com]

It was #18 on I-tunes last night.

As the publicity machine starts to get going sales should start to rise.

Good points JK.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 19, 2010 02:33

nankerphlege
It didn't even chart In the US. I wonder why?

There hasnt been a chart published since it has been released.

Date: April 19, 2010 06:12

There have been well over 55,000 hits on youtube for "Plundered My Soul" since it debuted there Thursday night...There is still interest, but the days of moving singles are over,but who cares? Why would the Stones want to compete with the Lady Ga Ga's of the world at this point?

I guess the bigger question to ask in regards to rock acts is do singles even matter at this point? Almost no rock bands have luck on the singles charts in 2010. It's the albums and concerts that matter.

With the album at #34 on Amazon a month away from release I'd be willing to bet that the Exile re-release will come close to debuting near the top ten (maybe even the lower end of the top ten) in it's first week.

Despite all the gloom and doom lets not forget that even recent Stones cd's have sold pretty well. Some (40 Licks) have been blockbusters.

- "A Bigger Bang" got to #1 on the World Chart and European charts.
- It hit #2 in the UK and #3 in the USA.
- Was a #1 album in 9 countries

- 40 Licks was a huge seller. I believe that the album is close to selling 4 million copies at this point. It got to #2 in both the USA and the UK.

- Even a live album like "Shine a Light' got to #2 in the UK. #4 on the European charts and #11 in the US. Pretty solid sales for a live album (nobody buys live albums anymore)from a nearly 50 year old rock band.

All of this with very little success on the singles charts. Radio simply doesn't play rock music much anymore. It especially doesn't play new rock songs from bands whose lead singer is nearly 70 years old.

That said the Exile re-release will chart pretty well. We won't need to have a bake sale for the guys if "Plundered My Soul" doesn't storm the singles charts.

P.S. If they make a truly great record next time out it will sell very well and couldgo to number one (this board will explode if that happens) but even then I doubt it will get a ton of airplay.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 19, 2010 06:52

Universal, it seems, has paced and placed itself with the promotion of the album more so than the single in the upcoming weeks. This is all there is. The single is most likely just something of interest, a slight tease, it's nothing to really get anyone motivated. It seems rather obvious to me that people that want to get Exile now that haven't before will get it regardless of the second disc. And then there are a few - let's say 5000 world wide - that are interested in getting the reissue strictly for the second disc. I'm one of those people. If it wasn't for the extra disc, I would not bother.

As far as Universal goes, they're basically done with the Stones. It sure seems like it. Because Exile is all they're going to get this year.

After Exile, there is NOTHING.

If they're so forward thinking, where is the fantastic view into the past? Where is the box set of unreleased tracks, B-sides, remixes, alternate mixes and single versions? At this point the only way the Stones can move forward is to delve into the past - because it's been made quite clear in huge huge numbers of poor poor sales that basically nobody gives a shit about anything new. If Stones fans across the planet wanted more Streets Of Love they'd go buy Mick's solo albums.

The reissuing of the Stones 1971-2005 catalogue meant next to nothing. There was no real dire need for it compared to, oh, I dunno, The Beatles and various other old albums by whoever that have never been remastered properly or at all. Jump Back will continue to sell, what little it does, because it's the only hits comp post Honky Tonk Women available now. It's rather obvious that Forty Licks won't be reissued nor will there be another hits comp of any sort - it's obvious hardly anyone gives a shit. Hell, they could reconfigure Jump Back to not bother with anything past Tattoo You and hardly anyone would care or notice.

It's all about unheard tracks now - and even that is for a limited audience. The best move the Stones (Mick) could make is to unearth whatever leftovers. To get "nostalgic". I don't see that being nostalgic actually - that would be their set lists.

But at this point, it might be the only audience, a box set audience. An audience that wants previously unreleased tracks. The Beatles reissues sold pretty good at first but I doubt any of the albums are selling in any spectacular fashion. It's most likely the only time they'll ever have been remastered and reissued because in a few more years CDs will, for the most part, be gone anyway. At least in the big numbers that they are available now. Who will still make actual records that are released on vinyl, CD and downloads? Bands like Drive-By Truckers and Queens Of The Stone Age and hopefully a few others. Everyone else will have given up. The age of making real music and having real music mean something is, I'm afraid, done. It's in its last gasp right now.

But very soon, the (un)likes of Lady Ga Ga and other twats of that stature will be all the rage - no talent. Like the saying goes about Texans - all hat, no cattle.

So maybe the have done their last album and went out with a financial bang. Perhaps Exile will be the ultimate commercial exploration for them all because of the amount of exposure as never before for an old Stones album. This just might very well be it. At least it's getting some attention. Still the oddest album in their catalogue - no hit singles, a double album and too many songs to play live.

We've possibly witnessed the end of this kind of thing, the end of the music business hanging on to the old ways. With The Beatles getting a TON of press on their reissues, and with more people on the planet than ever (ha ha), they still sold poorly. Had it of been 15 years ago or whatever it might be different. But it's over. Now a days it's more about what kind of shoes one wears than how good the music is.

Fortunately I just wear boots.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-19 18:13 by skipstone.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 19, 2010 09:48

Skipstone, a very good post.

- Doxa

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1402
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home