Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Guru died
Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: April 21, 2010 10:36

" Gang Starr's Guru Loses Cancer Battle at 43

By Rolling Stone
Apr 20, 2010 9:22 AM EDT

Gang Starr's Guru, one of the smoothest and lyrically complex rappers to emerge during the last years of the Golden Age of Hip-Hop, passed away yesterday at the age of 43 following a battle with cancer. As Rolling Stone reported in late February, Guru suffered cardiac arrest after undergoing surgery to treat the disease, eventually lapsing into a brief coma.

Born Keith Elam in 1966, the Boston-bred Guru and producer DJ Premier comprised the duo Gang Starr. Together, they recorded six albums between 1989 and 2003, including a pair of hip-hop classics that rank among the genre's best, 1991's Step In the Arena and 1992's Daily Operation. While never chart-toppers, the singles "Who's Gonna Take the Weight?," "Step in the Arena" and "Ex Girl to Next Girl" serve as fine examples of Guru's unique flow and lyrical street realism.

Guru also became a pioneer in the hip-hop/jazz fusion game with his four Jazzmatazz albums. After Gang Starr's last album The Ownerz, Guru and DJ Premier ended their partnership, but Guru still toured Europe under the Gang Starr moniker. Guru also released two solo albums, produced by Solar, under his own name in the 2000s.

"The world has lost one of the best MCs and Hip-Hop icons of all-time - my loyal best friend, partner, and brother, Guru," Solar said in a statement. "This is a matter that Guru wanted private until he could beat it, but tragically, this did not happen. The cancer took him. Now the world has lost a great man and a true genius." "

RIP Guru

Re: OT - Guru died
Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: April 21, 2010 11:06

RIP. Gang Starr were brilliant.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: April 21, 2010 11:14

RIP. The Jazzmatazz albums were great records.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: April 21, 2010 12:13

Thats terrible, great talent, so young, @#$%&

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 21, 2010 16:25

Don't know the man's music, but I know him as the voice of 8-Ball in the PlayStation 2 game "Grand Theft Auto 3". The GTA forums I attend, are deeply saddened by his passing. RIP Guru.

JumpingKentFlash

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1423
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home