Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick Taylor solo on Heartbreaker
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 12, 2008 17:53

Listening to the solo on 'Heartbreaker' is always a pleasure for me, it is one of the most unique in rock. He somehow made it speak the content of the song. Its not flashy or long or full of tricks, just great music.
That solo always seems fresh.

Re: Mick Taylor solo on Heartbreaker
Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: November 12, 2008 17:57

I was listening to this track recently also - it's very well recorded, all the instruments are well balanced and compliment each other well..... the cymbals, the keyboards, guitars..everything.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 12, 2008 18:02

Heartbreaker is one of their best songs recorded/mixed/produced in a studio ever. And that solo is fantastic - one of his best. Hell, it's one of their best songs ever.

Live, however, it's an abomination.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: November 12, 2008 18:12

never a fave song of mine - and it sounds as "dated" as any song from this era....solo is fine, of course, but the song is itself is contrived and cheesey.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-12 18:13 by T&A.

Posted by: Filip020169 ()
Date: November 12, 2008 18:14

Absolute kíller version in/on "Brussels 1973", though...

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 12, 2008 18:50

on the Voodoo tour Ronnie managed a version of MT's solo...as I remember...

Date: November 12, 2008 23:32

Best on Brussels imo. But the studio version is also great. Taylor could have been more up in the mix during the solo.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 12, 2008 23:34

As much as I love Ronnie theres just some MT stuff he cant touch(not that I dont enjoy the songs anyway!) As far as the song and album I must admit the original mix made it a little hard to enjoy. the Virgin and Mickboy remixes show how great it is but the original mix and mastering sucked IMHO.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 12, 2008 23:38

Taylor doesn't really get to do his thing on the studio version; neither does the rest of the band - I think.
When it comes to "the definitive version" of this....London 09/09....it give me chills everytime; when they go from the "break" to the E-G-C-E part; near the end of the song.....just incredible

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: November 13, 2008 00:22

> When it comes to "the definitive version" of this....London 09/09....it give me chills everytime; when they go from the "break" to the E-G-C-E part; near the end of the song.....just incredible

Erik_Snow, I feel relieved! So there's going to be a 2009 tour? winking smiley And, can you post your bootleg 'cause UrbanSteel haven't done it yet?

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 13, 2008 00:46

Filip020169
Absolute kíller version in/on "Brussels 1973", though...

Absolutely !

And now we have to convince skipstone... listen.....agree....or....

condemned to enjoy all ever released..........................Bon Jovi Stuff (LOL)
nonstop,for sure

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: November 13, 2008 01:04

skipstone
Heartbreaker is one of their best songs recorded/mixed/produced in a studio ever. And that solo is fantastic - one of his best. Hell, it's one of their best songs ever.

I always liked that song!
Mostly the studio version but live in 73 it was great too.
Atn least I remember some good gigs!

And I don't want to contradict Skipstone - and with the Stones and their people you never know about their memories - but this is what engineer Andy Johns said:

"This track was really out of tune! Everyone was so out of it that -instead of recutting the track - Keith spent 4 month tryin to get the bass in tune.
But there was no way to make it work cause e-piano and guitar were out of tune with each other. Things were getting little fuzzy there!"
(The story behind every song)

Sorry, Skip . . But that's the way with the Stones . .!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-13 01:08 by CousinC.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 13, 2008 04:01

Heartbreaker does sound very 70's but I think it works. It has a cool retro- vibe. 73 was the best live version but the 75 version From the LA forum show is not too shabby at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-13 04:01 by ryanpow.

Date: November 13, 2008 04:31

Strange, the solo IMO is very good, but I always thought this song was horribly recorded. The horns and the clavinet are a mess.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 13, 2008 06:00

I know Keith nodded out for 4 days doing the dumb ass bass line. I still think the studio version is superiour to any live performance - more or less because of how it breathes, it has dynamics, it has an ease and a flow and then it gets down. All the live versions I've ever heard, on bootlegs, on DVDs and at the show I saw, it's always been just crammed through and a bit of an uncalled for mess. It's never had the elegant performance in any matter of the studio version. For instance, how well they've done Monkey Man as of late - simply BRILLIANT.

That's what Heartbreaker needs - some heart.

I'm not saying I don't like the live version(s) from 1973, just that they still are lesser than the studio version.

Date: November 13, 2008 11:05

But the studio version misses one thing that the live versions have - the funk.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 13, 2008 13:15

That´s it,definetly ! And because of that I like the song so much.
I do like the Four Flicks version ,but compared to 70´s versions it pales.

But Monkey Man is a very good example for doing it better nowadays.

Date: November 13, 2008 13:22

Agree

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1413
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home