Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
How did you start your Stones bootleg collection
Posted by: tipps ()
Date: April 7, 2010 19:45

Hey folks, I'm sorry I didnt make it clear in my other post. I was wondering how you folks got started on your BOOTLEG collection. Like I said I had some newspaper concert reviews of Stones so traded for cassette back in 98 then round 2000 or so got into trading cds then dvds. Now I got a great big collection. I feel for those that are starting out now to trade if you got nothing to offer as its all download now, but there are people that cant download so next best thing is snail mail trading. I have to say thanks for all of those on this board from all the countries involved helping me get what I want. You know who you are. THANK U VERY MUCH. I never traded with you Rockman but would have loved to but you declined once.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-07 19:47 by tipps.

Re: How did you start your Stones bootleg collection
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 7, 2010 20:06

I bought nine tapes from a guy who had advertised Stones 'rarities' for sale in the NME in late 1983. Each one cost me £6. Can even remember what most of them were - Oakland 1969 (Live R Than You'll Ever Be), Essen 1970, Leeds 1971, New York 1972, Bedspring Symphony '73, Something Old Something Blue (San Francisco '81), Bright Lights Big City, Garden State '78.

Then I answered a few ads for trades in IORR magazine. Hard to get many trades when you only have a few tapes, but what I had in my favour was an off master recording of Slane 1982, a show which hadnt circulated to that point. I got a lot of trades thanks to that one recording, even though it wasnt a particularly good one.

Never had to buy tapes off anyone again.

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: April 7, 2010 21:16

I sent away for some tapes from a place called Sgt. Pepper's Tape Club back in '84 or so. Got a bunch of shows from a lot of bands, but I think the first Stones tape was Live R Than You'll Ever Be.....

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: April 7, 2010 21:22

I bought my first bootlegs,on home made cassettes,in the mid 80's in a record shop.I've still got them,some live '72 and '78 and some random studio stuff.I was pretty young though and it was a one off.

Didn't start buying seriously until about 10 years ago when someone i knew at the time suggested i should go to Camden Market.The first cd i bought was Brussels Affair and i proceeded to spend a lot of money there until i discovered the joys of downloading about 3 years ago.To be honest half the stuff i bought was probably ripped off from here anyway.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: April 7, 2010 21:29

When I was going to school in England in the last half of the seventies, my brother was attending University College in London and he got a friend to make a 90 minute cassette from vinyl bootlegs. He mostly put on some outtakes, Jean Clarke Memorial Sonic Barbecue and excerpts from the LA 75 bootlegs.
The first ones I ever bought were Bring It Back Alive from Charlotte 72 and Around In A Roundhouse from London 71. The first one I ever got that I thought was really good was Mick Taylor We Miss You from the Philly/Fort Worth tapes in 72. During this time I had recorded the Brussels/London stuff off the radio. When I returned to Canada in 1980, someone had Garden State 78 and Blind Date. These formed the basis of my collection which greatly expanded from this point. I'd say I didn't get into tape trading until the second half of the 80s and by that time I was taping shows and was primarily interested in Dylan. Got back into the Stones just before CDs took over.

Posted by: Lil' Brian ()
Date: April 7, 2010 21:37

Bought scads of vinyl boots for $3.95 each at Dirt Cheap Records back in the 70's. Still have them all!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 7, 2010 22:25

Er, I taped the first show I went to which was Wembley 73 so that was my first bootleg.
But I got a (much inferior) copy of Wembley 73 on vinyl (purple cover) at this place off Carnaby Street in London called Straight Ahead Records run by a Welsh guy called Derek. It was abour Spring 74. He was a huge Floyd fan and I got all kinds of great boot vinyl there - from Stones to Floyd and Led Zeppelin - most of them on Swinging Pig or TAKRL.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: April 7, 2010 22:45

Started buying vinyl boots after my 1st visit to a record fair in 1982. New Jersey 78,Hampton 81,Stars in the Sky and San Diego 69. Cost a fortune considering the wage I was on.I remember my hands shaking as I put them on the turntable . I miss it - but not the expense !

[/img]

sc uk

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: April 7, 2010 23:20

I live in a little hick town in Southwest Virginia and there is a town about 30 minutes away in a neighboring county that had a privately owned cd store called Dad's cd's. The guy who ran the place turned me on to a few tapes. "Garden State '78, Paris '76, among others. He eventually started copying Stones bootleg cd's for me, like "Live'r" and the Hawaii '73 shows and L.A. '75. Various and often quite random stuff. He wasn't a Stones fanatic, although he was certainly a fan. He collected stuff by lots of artists, with Zeppelin and Roy Buchanan being his favorites. Eventually my Stones collection began to surpass his as didn't really care. But he did get me started with bootlegs. He hooked me up with many cd's for nothing. Sometimes he'd ask for a dollar per cd to cover the cost of his blank cd's but otherwise, it was free and very generous. I think he realized that I really dug the music and was serious about it. In a way, I'm sort of like that. I would never hesitate to copy anything in my collection for a person if I felt they would appreciate it the way I do. And I think he saw that I did very much enjoy the music he was giving me.

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: April 7, 2010 23:40

I heard an ad for "LIVEr than you'll ever be" on an FM underground radio station in Chicago in 1969. (No kidding!) So I drove to the record store and paid $5.50 for it, which I thought was a lot in those days. The rest is history.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: April 7, 2010 23:55

I started buying boot lps from a place called Pied Piper Records (who later changed their name to Still Rare Records), I think it was in South Carolina, back in '77/'78. I was 12 at the time, and I saw their ads in the back of Creem advertising "rare underground recordings" along with a list of artists. I didn't even know what bootlegs were, but sent for their catalogue and then ordered my first title, Closet Keepers (Elton John at L.A. Forum '74) for $4. I remember being disappointed when it arrived and looking at the song listing and thinking "I already have all these songs". Put it on and thought, "wait a minute, these are different, they're live". Hooked for life. First Stones title came not long after that and it was the 3-lp '75 Tour of the Americas box set. If I recall, my parents ordered that for me for my birthday at my behest.

Shortly after this, I discovered the hip record store here in Victoria (Richard's Records R.I.P.) and they had tons of boots-$4.95 for a single, $8.95 for a double. I picked up Welcome to New York w/ the pink Wm. Stout insert cover and Bedspring Symphony, along w/ the Faces' Afterhours and Aerosmith Look Homeward Angel, among others, and started buying the Hot Wacks books. As I said, hooked for life, and sadly enough, I think I get as excited about a package in the mailbox now, age 45, as I did then.

Gotta say, though, that the Stones jones didn't really kick into overdrive until about ten years ago when I came a little late to the internet, and discovered all the less obvious shows via Vinyl Gang, etc. Up until then I'd been content with owning a couple shows from each tour along with the most famous titles. Loved those gatefold full-color, colored vinyl Swingin' Pig releases from the late '80's and such but now I have almost every show circulating up to '81 (anyone want to sell their copy of Bern '73 2nd Show on Shaved Disc ?).

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: April 8, 2010 00:57

A store called Al Bums on the corner of Chandler St and Park Ave in Worcester , Ma . A guy I went to high school with opened it soon after we graduated and he had several bootleg LPs that I had never seen or heard of . I was able to get at his store , to name a few .

Bright Lights , Big City
Charlie watts and His fabulous Rolling Stones
Schoolboy Blues / Andrews Blues ( a 10" vinyl plays at 45 rpm )
L A Friday
Andrews Blues LP
Who went To Church This Sunday ?
Liver Than You'll Ever Be
The Trident Mixes
Canadian Blind Date
Stones Tour Mop Up !

Here's a link to an video article in the local paper about the stores closing . The storefront now houses a tattoo parlor . It is in what was once the "Haight Ashbury " section of Worcester .

Enjoy the show ,

[www.telegram.com]

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: April 8, 2010 01:01

I bought Welcome to NY, Hyde Park, and Smooth at a head shop in 1979. Have probably spent WAY TOO MUCH $$ on boots ever since but love my collection non the less

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 8, 2010 01:22

never traded with you Rockman but would have loved to but you declined once.

Whoa!!! Can't remember that one tipps ... Was it for a mule or a bootleg????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: April 8, 2010 01:42

started ordering Stones boots through the mail in 1977....one place was called "Ad-Libitum Records" another was called "Very English & Rolling Stoned" and also (like AndrewM)through "Pied Piper"...found one of these places in an ad in the back of Rolling Stone Mag....single lps were $5.00 and double lps were either $7.00 or $10.00....really thrilling when those record mailers arrived.....some titles i remember getting were "Out On Bail" which included a 45 of Sweet Little 16 on orange wax...it later came out as "Garden State '78"....also "A Summer Romance" which was the king bisquit flower hour radio show 1978..."Mick Taylor, We Miss You"..."The Trident Mixes"..."Charlie Watts & His Fabulous Rolling Stones" (L.A. Forum '75"..."Rock Out Cock Out" which was the '73 King Bisquit radio show...."Nicarague Benefit Show '73"..."Welcome To New York"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-08 01:44 by Rollin' Stoner.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 8, 2010 03:23

I was a young lad, a total novice. I read about "unreleased" music and started just cold calling record stores in my area. I was probably around 14. Finally, I struck gold with School Kids Records in Ann Arbor Michigan. The nice guy said he had some cool unreleased music and to come by the stor and ask for him. So I begged, and pleaded with my Mom to take me there. I got there and was ushered into the back room and he pulled out a stack of boots. I spend all the money I had saved at the time and got Lacerated, In Again Out Again, and On Tour. All three from the just finished 78 tour. Years later I met Ron Wood and he signed Lacerated for me..."eh, what's this? I never saw this one before, cool, I will sign it mate." He made my day!

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: April 8, 2010 05:36

I taped a show on minidisc and used the recording to trade with others in far off lands.

Posted by: Handova ()
Date: April 8, 2010 11:20

Amazing stories, guys! ... Keep them coming!

I remember buying some tapes by mail back in the mid-80's, "Claudine" and some "RnR Circus" stuff top of my head. Felt a bit cheated since these weren't precisely cheap, and in the end these were all just crappy cassette tapes. Still I was amazed at the mystery of the bootleg market. A few years later came all those great Swingin' Pig releases and these were all over the place here in Europe. I remember checking them out @ my local supermarket! ... lol ... But it wasn't until the mid 90's when I really got into buying boot CDs. My first title must have been "The Cream of the Hot Stuff". I loved it straight away even though *I knew* already it was just a sub-par boot, lol ...

Don't have a huge bootleg collection now, but since then I always try to pick me up two or three silver pressed titles every year. Most of the times feel cheated, but hey, none can deny the magic of checking out a "real" boot for the first time, looking at the artwork, checking the spines of the cases on your CD racks, playing and grooving to it.

I used to trade a lot of CD-Rs some 10 years ago as well ... then got into DVD. These days is mostly downloading (hey thank God for this site!), but as I said every once in a while can't resist and order me some silver VGP or something.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: April 8, 2010 12:53

The 1st bootleg I purchased was the 1st edition of Swingin' Pig's Atlantic City

I later resold it after getting the 4 gold CD edition

TSP and Great Dane were the leading labels in those days
KTS and Octopuss followed pretty soon
Then VGP, Sister morphine, Red Devils, and some others showed up

Internet has somehow killed the excitation of the hunt

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Date: April 8, 2010 12:54

I used to enjoy the boot hunt way more. Like StrayCat says: it was so exciting some times to put the new disc or record on play for the first time that your hands could be shaking. Because these outtakes and concerts - back then there qwere no websites, or huge books devoted to Stones A-z, day to day. So it took me a long time and reading and re-reading Dalton book, Roy Carr, Miles to learn about the songs. And there was always a friend who discovered something new. I found San Diego 69, and Paris 65 in London in a street booth, and brought them to my buddy in Vienna. In the meantime he had discovered Trident Sessions. It was a BIG Stones day.
Then in NYC all the 78 shows pouring in.
There was a place on 8th Street that sold massive Stones boots. At all times I had a stack on layaway behind the counter, and each Friday I'd go and pick up a few more. There was a time when the SG outtakes, and Lexington, Memphis, Greensboro, New Jersey shows were rolling in. Those back then were already in superb quality.
Others like Paris 65, Malmo 79, Mick's Birthday Party were unlistenable back then and are pretty good nowadays.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-08 12:57 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 8, 2010 13:40

Actually, now I'm more interested in Stones boot DVDs and boot DVDs in general. I think I got about 35 Stones ones now but must admit that I don't avidly collect post 82 shows - only the ones that I've been too such as Wembley 82, Brixton 95, Shepherds Bush 99, MSG 05.
My holy grail is a silver disc of the 78 footage - which I believe Jointrip put out originally - although I have a DVD-R of it.
I've also started collecting the privately shot footage -such as Milan 70, MSG 72, Wembley 73, and Europe 76.
Hopefully the Australian footage will be compiled as that would make a great DVD - I think there's almost an hour with the stuff that recently turned up.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: April 8, 2010 13:47

Put an ad in NME and IORnR in 83 and I got flooded with lists.

Recorded some of the vinyl i got and started trading tapes across Europe (including some guy called Gazza, but then he was known as the Belfast Cowboy, what ever happened to him I wonder....)

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: April 8, 2010 14:05

First boot was Oakland 1969 (Live R Than You'll Ever Be), which I bought from Sam The Record Man in Yonge St, Toronto. There was just a big pile of them on the floor, nothing elegant in the display. I got Dylan's Great White Wonder there too & it would have been 1969. The next one was the ep with Brian's Blues, etc. roughly about the same time, & that was from Rochdale College, Bloor St. there was a little record shop on the ground floor

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: April 8, 2010 14:15

First one was in the early to mid seventies when I was still at school. Traded (I think) four albums for a copy of Liver that a guy I knew had got in the States. Got a mail order address after that and plenty more followed. Sold some at school to help pay for my own. There was a record shop in Glasgow in the seventies that did a few - got a cassette of Schoolboy Blues / Andrew's Blues there. Got a terrible audience cassette of Knebworth from a notice board at university in '76 (still got it somewhere, no doubt).

First (of far too many) bootleg cds was Dartford Renegades which I got at a record fair.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 8, 2010 14:26

The GR
Put an ad in NME and IORnR in 83 and I got flooded with lists.

Recorded some of the vinyl i got and started trading tapes across Europe (including some guy called Gazza, but then he was known as the Belfast Cowboy, what ever happened to him I wonder....)

Only by you!smileys with beer

I think I started trading tapes with you around 1986-87 although we didnt meet up until 1990. There's some other folks who occasionally post here that go even further back - silkcut1978 and Tony Marinello from about '84, jamiedouglas's bandmate David from about '86 - plus obviously there are loads of collectors who are still involved from that era but who are much too cool to waste their time on message boards....

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: April 8, 2010 14:48

I bought my first Stones boots on a trip to Amsterdam ca. 71 from one of those nice sec.-hand Hippie- stores.
Both from 69 tour: Liver and We never got it on till Detroit.
Over the next years up to ca. 76 I bought quite a lot Vinyl-boots and in those days you never knew what was inside those covers.
Some of them - like one from Baton Rouge 75- were hardly listenable!

I'm still collecting to these days . .

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: April 8, 2010 15:10

Bought Brussels Affair in the second hand music shop in my then hometown Utrecht some ten years ago and was flabbergasted. Checked the shop about every week and travelled to Stones conventions and CD-fairs in the following years and ordered by mail. That’s all history now. Besides torrents three kids have come and they cost some time and money. And there’s other things in life ... I still love the Stones, but the obsession is gone. Liberating...

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-08 15:11 by Greg.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: April 8, 2010 17:01

Early in 1970 I discovered a head-shop/record store where they sold hippy garb, beads, incense etc and many " under ground albums" as they were called back then. The place was called Nu-Wave Music in Pittsfield, Ma. It was THE place to find hidden treasures. I bought the Beatles boot for Let It Be and Liv' R Than You'll Ever Be and from there I was hooked on bootlegs! I have quite a pile of Stones boots, great colored vinyls and all kinds of cool stuff. I stopped collecting bootlegs unless I know the quality is exceptional because I got stuck a few times on really terrible recordings.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: April 8, 2010 18:45

I got my first "bootleg" in Hong Kong in 1974. It was my first Stones record a fake copy of Hot Rocks, i played it to death and threw it away in about 1980 when it was unplayable, wish i hadnt smiling smiley Funny when i think about it even in the 70's the Stones were "parents music" i remember one girl i liked spinning her fathers copy of "Welcome to New York" and thinking it sounded shit smiling smiley

An interesting question i always find is whats your favourite bootleg? I love Handsome Girls and Brussels of course, but by far my most played is the Buffalo 1975 gig, it sounds like a toxic cloud i love it and Charlie was awesome that night.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: April 8, 2010 19:05

Got my first boot,from a head shop in the village,"Live'r than you will ever be"and haven't stop,got probably in the 100's,favorite Handsome Girls"

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1190
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home