Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Ray Manzarek & Robby Krieger of The Doors - worht to go?
Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: April 2, 2010 09:34

Help me guys to decide. Has anybody seen them recetly? How was it? The singer is some Brett Scallions.

The ticket prices are really high - good tickets for about 80 Euro. That is what makes me think. If it was half of the price, I wouldn't hesitate, those guys are legends and I like the Doors, but this way I wonder - is the show really worth the price, or is it a good revival band and that's it?

Somebody with some experience...please help...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-02 14:34 by Happy24.

Re: Ray Manzarek & Robby Krieger of The Doors - worht to go?
Date: April 2, 2010 13:02

That is your decision, but IMO it is absolutely not worth it. Never was wild about the Doors, but w/o Jim Morrison you already lost whatever magic there was. Now subtract Densmore, and what you got left is a decent classically trained guitarist who has long fingernails, and one of the most annoying grinding organ sounds in all of music. Their best song "the End"...who besides Morrison is going to deliver that one?

Re: OT: Ray Manzarek & Robby Krieger of The Doors - worht to go?
Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: April 2, 2010 14:58

I saw them a few years ago and walked out. Like watching a really bad Doors tribute band. Don't waste your money...

Posted by: peters318 ()
Date: April 2, 2010 15:09

I saw them a few years ago when they were billed as Doors of the 21C and had the guy from the Cult singing. I thought they were pretty good. I see they are playing the Uk (Wolverhampton announced so far) with the Royal Philharmonic. I'm quite tempted. Peter

[vintagerock.wordpress.com]

Date: April 2, 2010 15:10

Yeap guys, I am almost decided not to go. I read some reviews and people were generally positive, but they wrote they payed 20$ for a ticket (the last year). For that price I would give it a try, but I will probably save 80 Euro this way.
Still, if anybody else saw them, please let me know your opinion.

Posted by: watts fan ()
Date: April 2, 2010 15:15

I saw them several years ago & was pretty disappointed. I was really missing Densmore. He was just as important to their sound as Charlie is to the Stones. John Densmore is a criminally underrated drummer IMO. These days, Manzarek uses some lousy Korg-type of synth that sounds nothing like the Vox Continental / Fender Rhodes that he used back in the day. Krieger still sounds pretty much the same.

The surviving members should have done a tour version of their VH1 Storytellers special. The group used their period-correct equipment and played with a ton of guest singers. Scott Weiland was great with them:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="

&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 2, 2010 16:37

Saw them a couple times, and despite having not really given a damn about the Doors since I had been in college, 25 years earlier, I enjoyed it. I wouldn't put it in my all time top 10 concerts, though. I'm not sure it's even in the top 50.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-03 01:04 by tatters.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 2, 2010 17:11

GO! saw them last year at the Fillmore and it was AMAZING. closing my eyes at times i could easily imagine it was 1967 again. krieger has gotten better over time and Ray is still the bomb. great singer they've got, too - of course, he's not Jim, but he handles the vocals with aplomb without trying to imitate. the rest of the band is spot-on. don't walk - run to the show! you'll thank me later.

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: April 2, 2010 21:20

I saw them with Ian Astbury on their first reunion tour at Wembley. It was a great show and i felt like i had seen the doors! I saw them a couple of years later and it felt like an overpriced tribute act, also they were now playing a half empty club to an audience of 500 not the 10,000 or so that came to wembley arena. If you haven't seen them then its great to see Robbie Krieger and Ray Manzarek and you should go but only once!

Date: April 2, 2010 21:25

i'm not sure how it can thought of as a "tribute act" when it's presented by the TWO PRINCIPLE musicians from the band, playing at the top of their respective games.....robbie and ray are the featured players and they both get extended opportunities to demonstrate their considerable talents....it's a no-brainer for doors fans to see these guys - more than once if you can.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: April 2, 2010 21:57

I saw "The Doors Of The 21st Century" with Ian Ass-berries and, honestly, it was one of the worst concert experiences I've ever had. Robbie & Ray played fairly well, but the frontman's pitiful Jim Morrison impersonation was borderline parody and insulting to the memory of a great band. It was horrendus.

This was at the now defunct Music in Midtown festival in Atlanta. The stage area was packed at the beginning of the show, but when I left (probably half way through) about 2/3 of the crowd had bolted. People were laughing out loud, it was that bad!

The Lizard King deserves better than that.

Ross

Date: April 2, 2010 21:59

well, never saw the astbury version, but scallion does just fine. and this band, musically speaking, was hardly ever jimbo's band, anyway....

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 3, 2010 00:27

Save your money.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 3, 2010 00:29

get cheap seats near the doors.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: April 3, 2010 00:45

MKjan
get cheap seats near the doors.

Cause it's the only real Doors you'll actually be close to.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: April 3, 2010 01:20

Always seems like there are strong reactions to the Doors. Almost like the Stones but not quite as intense. The way I look at shows is that if you don't go, then you don't really know what you missed. Manzarek and Krieger can both still play well, and like someone said, I think Kreiger's better than he was 40 years ago.

Date: April 3, 2010 01:54

Brue
Always seems like there are strong reactions to the Doors. Almost like the Stones but not quite as intense. The way I look at shows is that if you don't go, then you don't really know what you missed. Manzarek and Krieger can both still play well, and like someone said, I think Kreiger's better than he was 40 years ago.

he definitely is. looks much older than he is, but..oh, my - his playing is incredible. he did a long solo intro to Spanish Caravan at my show last year that absolutely was stunning. I really hope that others aren't dissuaded by the detractors here. The Doors, proper, obviously haven't existed in 4 decades now and there's obviously a great amount of nostalgia involved in this act, but the musicianship level is fabulous and the renditions done of all these great Doors classics are marvelous - and the singer is really quite good and not a distraction at all. It's the closest thing a Doors fan is ever gonna get to the real thing and that's not a bad thing....

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: April 3, 2010 06:08

would be like seeing the stones without mick and charlie

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: April 3, 2010 06:33

Have not seen them, but have listened to boots with Bret Scallions and they sound great!

I would go, but, only you know what you can afford.

Of course it is not the same without Jim, but without a time traveling machine, this is as good as it gets. Even if you could time travel you might get a show in which Jim passes out and Ray has to sing the show.

Date: April 3, 2010 09:24

Okay, after i decided not to go...I bought a ticket :-) Listened to The Doors the whole evening yesterday and I am really looking forward to the gig. I will send some review afterwards. Thanks guys for your reviews and thoughts, I hope I made a good decision after taking an advice from the positive reviewers here :-)

Date: April 3, 2010 09:29

Saw them at Wembley Arena twice - December 2003 and July 2004. Brilliant both times. Would have gone again but the ticket pricesw went up hugely - which was starnge given that the second Wembley show was only half full.

Can't comment on the Brett Scallions shows - having seen them with Ian Astbury I haven't felt the need to see nthem with this guy.

Worth going just to see two surviving Doors - if you haven't already.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: April 3, 2010 13:41

Another Wembley 2003 attendee, I thought it was excellent.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: April 3, 2010 15:58

Please post your review after the show, I am curious! I wouldn't mind seeing Ray and Robbie with a decent frontman, or even without one would be better than what I saw with that Astbury clown. They don't need a Jim Morrison imatator, just someone that can sing his stuff in a similar way. Ray & Robbie are good enough to enhance the jams and make it just different enough to be interesting, but still be The Doors. They were such a unique thing that imitation can easily become parody.

Ross

Date: April 3, 2010 21:04

Happy24
Okay, after i decided not to go...I bought a ticket :-) Listened to The Doors the whole evening yesterday and I am really looking forward to the gig. I will send some review afterwards. Thanks guys for your reviews and thoughts, I hope I made a good decision after taking an advice from the positive reviewers here :-)

i'll take personal responsibility for ensuring a timely refund if you don't fully enjoy yourself. i will also destroy all of my doors cds and lps and vow to never mention another kind word about this band.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: April 3, 2010 23:15

Speaking of the Doors, whatever happened to that definitive documentary movie about them that was supposed to come out. 'When You're Strange' I think was the title? I was under the impression it was supposed to hit the indie film circuit last fall. Is anyone else familiar with this?

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: April 3, 2010 23:49

Last I read, was that the docu was scheduled to appear in theaters this spring

Update: Click 'find a theater' to see schedule: [whenyourestrangemovie.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-03 23:52 by Sohoe.

Date: April 4, 2010 19:54

theimposter
Speaking of the Doors, whatever happened to that definitive documentary movie about them that was supposed to come out. 'When You're Strange' I think was the title? I was under the impression it was supposed to hit the indie film circuit last fall. Is anyone else familiar with this?

[www.thedoors.com]

it says "coming soon"

Date: April 4, 2010 19:57

StonesTod
i'll take personal responsibility for ensuring a timely refund if you don't fully enjoy yourself. i will also destroy all of my doors cds and lps and vow to never mention another kind word about this band.

smiling smiley I am sure no refund will be needed and you will be able to enjoy your collection for many more years

To Ross: Don't worry, I will send a review, the gig is in July

Posted by: thrak ()
Date: April 4, 2010 20:06

I saw the with Ian and it was one of the worst show i've ever attented. If You respect Doors don't go.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: April 4, 2010 22:22

The Doors are not The Stones, for starters. So if you like this kind of music, enjoy what`s left! At least, they`ve come all the way from sunny California...
But!, John Densmore should`a been there, so be warned!!!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1948
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home