Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T Art Garfunkel,Manchester Apollo,Saturday 11th October 2008
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: October 12, 2008 14:53

Hello,

Well Stanley,another fine show by another fine old pro!
Old tefal head still can sing sublimely,you know.Whilst his shows may not have 'Killing Joke' levels of intensity there is no doubting the power of material like "Bridge Over Troubled Water",even if he has sung it a million times.Other gems included "The Boxer","Kathy's Song","Scarborough Fair" and,er "Bright Eyes".

He is a relaxed presence onstage and early-doors he politely requested that we would refain from using cameras as he found it an unecessary distraction ("...I'm flattered that you actually think I'm worth photographing,but...").Fair enough.
He also gently mocked himself when mentioning briefly that with Dubya leaving office soon,he (Mr. G.) didn't have anyone to get angry at.In another aside he also hinted wistfully at another possible reunion with Paul Simon,whom he mentioned a couple of times.Mind you,I suppose he could hardly avoid him seeing as how 90% of the set-list was P.S. material!

Two honourable mentions:first up,Art G.'s guitarist is an amazing player-take a bow Sir,you were outstanding!
Secondly,I was surprised to learn that the chap I was sitting next to was present at Leeds University Refectory on Valentine's Night in 1970.Take a bow,Bob!Turns out he's more of a Leonard Cohen man nowadays.

Cheers,

Si.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-12 15:13 by SimonN.

Re: O/T Art Garfunkel,Manchester Apollo,Saturday 11th October 2008
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: October 13, 2008 10:28

nice one Simon - thanks for report and photos

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1987
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home