Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Silver Train in '73
Date: March 26, 2010 12:49

Hey guys,
Quick question, on those few times that Silver Train was played during the European tour of 73 did Keith play it in open G or standard. The Promo Film looks like he has a his white SG (Which I think he used for standard tuning), but there is a guy on You Tube that does it in Open G. Surely makes it easier to play, but I was just wondering what Tuning Keith actually played it live in.

Re: Silver Train in '73
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 26, 2010 16:45

[email protected]
Hey guys,
Quick question, on those few times that Silver Train was played during the European tour of 73 did Keith play it in open G or standard. The Promo Film looks like he has a his white SG (Which I think he used for standard tuning), but there is a guy on You Tube that does it in Open G. Surely makes it easier to play, but I was just wondering what Tuning Keith actually played it live in.

That's definitely an open G number.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: March 26, 2010 21:03

what "Promo Film"? thanks.

Posted by: normanplace ()
Date: March 26, 2010 21:35

I agree, gotta be, open G.

Posted by: django ()
Date: March 26, 2010 21:49

cc

Date: March 26, 2010 23:02

django
cc

They were miming in this clip, so the choice of guitars is irrelevant to the actual tuning played on the record. It was in open G.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: March 27, 2010 02:26

71Tele
django
cc

They were miming in this clip, so the choice of guitars is irrelevant to the actual tuning played on the record. It was in open G.

Right. It's certainly an open G song, but that doesn't mean Keith tuned the SG to open G for that promo video. I don't think they took their promo-video's too seriously.

Date: March 27, 2010 05:29

Tumblin_Dice_07

Right. It's certainly an open G song, but that doesn't mean Keith tuned the SG to open G for that promo video. I don't think they took their promo-video's too seriously.

clearly! This one is terrible.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 27, 2010 10:10

cc
Tumblin_Dice_07

But they sure look good...

- Doxa

Date: March 27, 2010 17:51

Doxa
cc
Tumblin_Dice_07

But they sure look good...

- Doxa

individually, yeah, but the glam thing has nothing to do with the track, which isn't a great song, but has kind of a down-home feeling to distinguish it.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: March 27, 2010 20:42

I don't think this a song Taylor ever figured out. Sometimes it takes him a while. In '69 it took him a few weeks of playing around with LIV before the classic Baltimore performance. His playing on the stage performances of this song in '73 seems...undecided. Slide? Lead? Rhythm? Although, the first part of the Cologne performance is a blistering two guitar rhythm rocker. He does not hit the slide until the second half. To that extent, that live performance fits what the guitars are doing in that video more than the actual release.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: March 27, 2010 21:11

I read that Taylor said it was dropped because it sounded too much like ADTL on stage. David Dalton's book I believe.

Date: March 27, 2010 23:24

Zack
I read that Taylor said it was dropped because it sounded too much like ADTL on stage. David Dalton's book I believe.

Yeah I've read the same thing in two or three different books or websites or something.....

They are a bit similar. Both uptempo rockers in the key of G utilizing only G, C, and D chords with the classic Keef suspended chord riff with Taylor on slide.

I still rather like "Silver Train" though.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 27, 2010 23:28

ADTL ?

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 28, 2010 00:29

NICOS
ADTL ?

All down the line. Has also something to do with trains and railways. No expectations, Love invain.. The Stones have something with trainswinking smiley.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: March 28, 2010 00:53

imo one of the very select grandest rock and roll recordings ever made.

it's got every foundational element of their truly greatest most distinct miracle amalgam very present....
incredible natural authentic super charged roots rock w all kinds of rooted country blues comin' out of the goat's head soup...
their entire genius rolls w this incredible rhythm track and silvery waves that laid back country blues soul we see in htw bs most of sf and banquet and bleed shows their accomplishments and leanings...
and despite micks add kid in his sisters closet front (which i totally also like! haww :-) ))

it has somehow...a lazy loping rolling thing so deep...this always one of my very favorite most stones songs...along with dance little sister all down the line (good time woman)...etc.....in the same vein...
so to speak

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 28, 2010 12:27

Just not a very good song. And an example that Taylor needs a good song to shine on, else he can sound a bit stale.

Mathijs

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 29, 2010 13:47

Mathijs
Just not a very good song. And an example that Taylor needs a good song to shine on, else he can sound a bit stale.

Mathijs

Not a good song indeed.
It proves that they needed Taylor to make it sound tasty and acceptable with some great slide work.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 29, 2010 13:52

beelyboy, thanks! Very well said. Yes, that rolling trance that just keep chuggin! Great song, with a mellow flavor to it, but it pushes and pushes down that track. Great smack song.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: March 29, 2010 15:57

Tumblin_Dice_07

I don't think they took their promo-video's too seriously.

Aw, come on. They've even brought in Yootha Joyce to play a convincing charicature of Mick.

And one must admit that the camerawork between 2:38 and 2:45 is worth an Oscar nomination.

Date: March 31, 2010 10:01

Mathijs

Mathijs

a wonderful song. taylor's silvery shimmer and rooted rhythm work a revelation...country blues hard rock w folky lope....i mean, face it, this is a miracle. charlies face at one point in that vid is priceless...he just looks so kinda genuinly amused by mick's act...it's wonderful moment...taylor shows brilliance power and presence here...solid history of stones' most amazing (for the most part...) "golden era" etc....here he, as always, an integral working part of the most amazing rhythm session rock ever had...brilliant.

...this song has mercury silvery stomp or sumthin'....it's a powerhouse as much as any of their major hits imo. imho. hawww...

and lookee how he make that monkey (man) dance!! this one a mover...in it's sly silvery way. turn it up man. (and women) it's the real deal 100% imoHo. a fricken revelation. just an opinion i know. but there it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-31 10:05 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 31, 2010 10:06

Amsterdamned
Mathijs

Mathijs

Not a good song indeed.
It proves that they needed Taylor to make it sound tasty and acceptable with some great slide work.

I find his slide work on this just lame, especially for how great of a slide player he was. It's the production of the song and the bland slide that just doesn't work for me, and live they turned it into a slower All Down The Line. It's just too much a number by the books.

Mathijs

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: March 31, 2010 10:49

i find the song all round just lame.
very repetitive, with Mick trying to save it with his screaming vocals.

and having both ADTL & ST in the same set would have made the audiences think "are they playing the same song twice?"

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 31, 2010 12:13

Mathijs
Amsterdamned
Mathijs

Mathijs

Not a good song indeed.

I find his slide work on this just lame, especially for how great of a slide player he was. It's the production of the song and the bland slide that just doesn't work for me, and live they turned it into a slower All Down The Line. It's just too much a number by the books.

Mathijs

A matter of taste..I like ADTL more,more energy,the studio as well the life versions

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: March 31, 2010 22:33

In an interview during the 1973 tour, Mick T and Keith said they dropped this song from the set becasue it sounded too much like "All Down The Line." While I def agree with that statement, it is still a great song. Of anyone has the live version from the first London '73 show, please let me know where I can find it.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: March 31, 2010 22:39

I'm with Beelyboy, love Silver Train. Such a great chorus, but I think Johnny Winter's version might actually trump the Stones, it's definitely more ballsy. Too bad he skips the "I'm going home..." bridge.

Date: March 31, 2010 23:41

Beelyboy
i mean, face it, this is a miracle. quote]

A miracle?

I like the song myself, but it's far from their best work. I think it's good in the context of other "filler" material, but compared to their best stuff, it's nothing special. I probably wouldn't put it in my top 25 favorite Stones songs. Basically I like any of the bluesy rockers from the Taylor years and that's why I like "Silver Train". But as with most of Goat's Head Soup, it's not their strongest material.

Date: April 1, 2010 01:02

Tumblin_Dice_07
Beelyboy
i mean, face it, this is a miracle. quote]

A miracle?

I like the song myself, but it's far from their best work. I think it's good in the context of other "filler" material, but compared to their best stuff, it's nothing special. I probably wouldn't put it in my top 25 favorite Stones songs. Basically I like any of the bluesy rockers from the Taylor years and that's why I like "Silver Train". But as with most of Goat's Head Soup, it's not their strongest material.

Not their weakest, either!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-01 01:02 by 71Tele.

Date: April 1, 2010 02:55

Amsterdamned
Mathijs
Amsterdamned
Mathijs

Mathijs

Not a good song indeed.

Mathijs

A matter of taste..I like ADTL more,more energy,the studio as well the life versions

well hard to argue with that for sure; love ADTL!
since i've been on iorr, i've been lucky enuf to hear that 'good time women' working demo whatever...vershof adtl... and to tell the truth that's a revelation for me and i even love the slightly faster, extemporary lyrix version of this.
one more jewel i get from being iorr...learning so much; exposed to so much. yehi love all down the line...and taylor in that, as well all know, just brilliant. !! as well as everyone else on that record.
smiling smiley

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: April 1, 2010 17:27

stevecardi
In an interview during the 1973 tour, Mick T and Keith said they dropped this song from the set becasue it sounded too much like "All Down The Line." While I def agree with that statement, it is still a great song. Of anyone has the live version from the first London '73 show, please let me know where I can find it.

bluesharp would have saved it, they could have dropped rip this joint (what's the point).

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1933
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home