Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

semiOT -Bobby Womack
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: April 7, 2010 20:58

how many of you out their dig Bobby Womack? I think if you're a Stones fan, it's difficult not to.

Any clips of BW and the stones performing together?

current favourite:

(eat yer heart out, Rod Stewart)

Re: semiOT -Bobby Womack
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: April 7, 2010 21:04

BOBBY WOMACK (1944- )

Ohio-born Bobby Womack has been associated on and off with the Stones since the beginning of their careers, and has been connected to them one way or another for 4 decades. Womack and his family formed the Valentinos in the early 1960s, an early Northern Soul group whose It's All Over Now was covered with great success by the Stones in 1964. In the later 1960s, Womack, a great songwriter, vocalist AND guitarist, worked with, and influenced, soul greats Curtis Mayfield, Wilson Pickett, Aretha Franklin and Jimi Hendrix, among others.

In 1975, Womack played on and produced Ronnie's second solo album, Now Look, which was the start of a long and fruitful friendship between the two. Womack appeared again on Ronnie's 1981 album 1 2 3 4, which led to Womack opening for some Stones shows on their 1981 U.S. tour. Ronnie jammed with Womack at a club in 1982.

In the mid-1980s, Ronnie brought in Womack to contribute to the Stones' mixing sessions for Dirty Work in 1985. Womack formed, along with Keith, Ronnie and musicians like Chuck Leavell, a small group that was the leading creative unit during those mixing sessions, frequently being present as well as contributing to the sessions. Womack sang backup on One Hit and Harlem Shuffle, and played guitar on Hold Back and Back to Zero. In late 1986 and early 1987, Ronnie and Womack held several recording sessions together for an unreleased album.

Several years later, in 1994, Womack reunited with the Stones, where he was used as a backup vocalist for the Voodoo Lounge album.

- [www.timeisonourside.com]-

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 7, 2010 22:20

His album Safety Zone is amazing. Great 70s soul funk. It was around this time that he was playing with Ronnie on Now Look and you can hear the infectious groove that Woodie picked up.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 8, 2010 00:42

Bobby Womack guests on a couple of tracks from Gorillaz new album Plastic Beach

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 8, 2010 00:59

Womack told a very interesting story in an early edition of Q magazine around 1986 regarding the Dirty Work sessions in New York, about how Jagger called him to come along and help the band out, feeding his ego whilst at the same time rubbishing his fellow band mates' ability.

After a few hours of getting his ego stroked and laying down the take for 'Harlem Shuffle', he asked the Stones to arrange to get him a cab home and suddenly found that, having served his usefulness to the band, no one was interested in doing anything for him and would barely talk to him.

Disgusted, he walked out of the studio to make his way home on his own and within a couple of minutes was confronted by a mugger armed with a knife. He was in such a rage that he challenged his potential assailant to try his luck, and the guy ran off!

Date: April 8, 2010 01:05

Remember reading a Womack interview where he said
that on a number of times when his career was at a low all
that kept him alive were the royalty checks from It's All Over Now .......

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-08 01:13 by Rockman.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 8, 2010 01:09

I'm sure they did! Cant have done any harm!

I like his mid 80s stuff like 'Womagic', but nothin' tops this one for me. One of my favourite songs ever. Was great in the original movie of the same name, but was used so well over the opening titles of 'Jackie Brown'...(not least because Pam Grier is in it)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-08 01:12 by Gazza.

Date: April 8, 2010 01:16

Keith ... Ronnie ... Charlie play on one track Don't Break Your Promise (Too Soon)

ROCKMAN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1496
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home