Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8
Re: Please tell me... What is so horrible with Streets Of Love???
Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: March 26, 2010 16:53

Kind of sad to see them doing stuff like this.

On the other hand, if you enjoy it, whose to criticize you?

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: March 26, 2010 17:10

The lyric focussing on the word "awful" doesn't exactly make it pop singalong material which it was clearly intended to be by its rather held-back, restrained, radio friendly, boring musical arrangement which offers no improvisation of sorts whatsoever.
It's boring elevator music. They should have replaced it with "Under the Radar".

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: March 26, 2010 17:19

stoneswashed77
deadegad
I Recall Bono in an interview saying with a straight face that he wished U@ could write a song as good as Streets of Love.

Although Bono tried to hide it, it was clear he was kidding. SOL is Pure Crap Vol. II.

do you remember where you read or saw this?? would like to see it myself. smiling smiley

Actually I saw a video clip on television of Bono saying it, but have no recollection of which program it was.

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: March 26, 2010 18:43

Gazza
KeefintheNight82
Gazza
KeefintheNight82

There's really nothing wrong with doing a good commercial pop song and not sounding like blues rock every time. They have done it all before to varying degrees of success.

Correct. Except this isn't one of the good ones.

Well, if that's what you think, fine. I still think it's a good lite pop song with a catchy hook.

Each to their own. and I respect your opinion. I just expect more from the Stones than a song where the word 'lite' is used as a compliment.

I can see that point of view as well. But lite pop and generic rockers is all we got for waiting 8 years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-26 18:45 by KeefintheNight82.

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: March 26, 2010 21:32

The Stones never ever played guitar like in this horrible song called Streets Of Love. It has nothing of a Stones sound, like that strumming chords on the guitar. That's much more Aerosmith or a young popband.

It's ugly as hell. Even the vocals are ugly.

It's the least of a Stones song ever made. They should be ashamed of this song.

Some people think of Biggest Mistake the same probably, but I think of Biggest Mistake the best song on the album... great guitar parts (classic Keith), great melodies and vocals.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: March 26, 2010 22:15

Muddyw
The Stones never ever played guitar like in this horrible song called Streets Of Love. It has nothing of a Stones sound, like that strumming chords on the guitar. That's much more Aerosmith or a young popband.

It's ugly as hell. Even the vocals are ugly.

It's the least of a Stones song ever made. They should be ashamed of this song.

Some people think of Biggest Mistake the same probably, but I think of Biggest Mistake the best song on the album... great guitar parts (classic Keith), great melodies and vocals.

they never played guitar like that. come on listen again. lot´s of signature sounds and licks. and there are also many songs in their catalog that are way less stonesy.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: March 26, 2010 22:23

Streets of Love turned ou to be a very popular live song during the European leg of the BB tour. Europeans have the advantage over for instance the Americans in knowing the songs well by the time the Stones arrive.
Personally I wasn't very impressed by the solo on the record, but in Milan, Italy Ron Wood did a very good solo. I had wished that solo would have been the record. People would have talked differently about the song.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 26, 2010 22:28

a decent solo doesn't take a horrible song and make it anything other than a horrible song with a decent solo.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 26, 2010 22:44

Muddyw

One of the highlights of the album for me. Seems very disliked on here, but I think its really good. Surprisingly mature reflective lyrics by Jagger, although having said that, it could also be a song that was written for the 'Alfie' soundtrack, as some other ABB songs were.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: March 26, 2010 22:52

I actually think "SOL" was potentially redeemable--mick is at least attempting to write from a mature, even old point of view. The problem is the simplistic lyrics he used to express this perspective, the childlike melody (a problem in many of his latter-day ballads, kind of sinks "Out of Tears," too), and the bland overproduction.

Date: March 26, 2010 22:52

I understand, T & A, that that "Italian" solo would not change your mind. Did you have the opportunity to hear the European crowd join in when SOL was performed?
To me the difference between record and live SOL was almost as big as that of "Out of Control" record an live. Some songs are simply much better (or less worse if you like) live than on record.
SOL, by the way, will certainly not be in my top 100 favourite Stones songs.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 26, 2010 22:55

georgie48
I understand, T & A, that that "Italian" solo would not change your mind. Did you have the opportunity to hear the European crowd join in when SOL was performed?

i wouldn't exactly dub it an "opportunity" but, yeah, i was at the london '06 show where it made its british debut. don't listen to what others may say of my behavior at that occasion; i'm still going thru weekly therapy over it....

Date: March 26, 2010 23:04

T&A
georgie48

i wouldn't exactly dub it an "opportunity" but, yeah, i was at the london '06 show where it made its british debut. don't listen to what others may say of my behavior at that occasion; i'm still going thru weekly therapy over it....

Don't worry, we're all human (as long as we like the Stones winking smiley)

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 26, 2010 23:55

It's still better than most everything they did in the early 80's.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 27, 2010 01:01

More Hot Rocks
It's still better than most everything they did in the early 80's.

Simply because "Indian Girl" is hard to beat...

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: March 27, 2010 01:22

Great song.

Brilliant/highlight in Atlantic City

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: March 27, 2010 08:49

Gazza
Muddyw

One of the highlights of the album for me. Seems very disliked on here, but I think its really good. Surprisingly mature reflective lyrics by Jagger, although having said that, it could also be a song that was written for the 'Alfie' soundtrack, as some other ABB songs were.

Do you know specifically which songs were written for Alfie, Gazza?

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 27, 2010 09:12

I really don't like this song. I don't passively ignore it, I actively avoid it. I can't listen to the whole thing without turning it off. While I'm an admittedly Mick-centric Stones fan, this song encapsluates what I dislike about songs of his that I don't care for. Unfortunately, no better explaination can come from me about this song other than simply - it really, really sucks.

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-27 09:12 by jamesfdouglas.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: March 27, 2010 09:22

Personally, I really like Biggest Mistake.

And Streets of Love was a real treat live - a concert highlight, no doubt.

And, as for Rough Justice, finally... it's the Faces meet the Stones.

.....So I am not complaining!

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: March 27, 2010 10:03

... perhaps there are too much tears in this song ...?

... and the "real" stonesfans don't want to realize, they have crossed their rubicon, too ...?

But there are very much "RIP"-topics on IORR, more and more, day by day ...

STREETS OF LOVE

Recorded in June of 2005. Released on the album A Bigger Bang on September 5, 2005
Lead Vocals, Electric Guitar: Mick Jagger Electric Guitars: Keith Richards & Ron Wood Drums: Charlie Watts Bass: Darryl Jones Pianos & Organs: Chuck Leavell & Matt Clifford (also Strings)

STREETS OF LOVE
(M. Jagger/K. Richards)

You're awful bright, you're awful smart
I must admit you broke my heart
The awful truth is really sad
I must admit I was awful bad

While lovers laugh and music plays
I stumble by and I hide my pain
The lights are lit, the moon is gone
I think I've crossed the Rubicon

I walk the streets of love and they're full of tears
And I walk the streets of love and they're full of fears

While music pumps from passing cars
A couple watch me from a bar
A band just played the wedding march
And the corner store mends broken hearts
And a woman asks me for a dance
Oh it's free of charge, just one more chance

I walk the streets of love and they're full of tears
Walk the streets of love for a thousand years

Oh tell me now
I... Oh I walk the streets of love, yeah and they're drenched with tears... Oh

You had the moves, you had the cards
I must admit you were awful smart
The awful truth is awful sad
I must admit I was awful bad

And I walk the streets of love and they're drenched with tears
And I walk the streets of love for a thousand years... Oh

Walk the streets of love and they're drenched with tears
Oh every night, oh there's only one and not enough for him
Oh I, yeah and they're full of tears
Oh everybody talk about it
Everybody be walking down it
Yeah but I found out.... oh yes that I...

Oh yes I do
Oh the streets of love, yeah, they're drenched with, drenched with in tears...
I... oh yeah I don't want to...

[www.keno.org]

You Can't Allway Get What You Want ...
HighwireC

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: March 27, 2010 14:02

Blueranger,

There is nothing at all wrong with this song. I have noticed that the younger fans really like this song. I like it too.

Jagger has stated that he likes to throw in a new song with a different feel to it, in order to bring in a new demographic to the Stones fan base. It is a marketing device to increase sales. The Stones are an international corporation. I know of one fan who became familiar with the Stones discography when she heard Harlem Shuffle on the radio.

Do not apologize for liking any Stones song. Do not let some of these old timers influence your appreciation of Stones music. Some fans will not open their minds up to new material, because it does not have that sixties feel to it, or because it does not conjure up images of flower power.

Date: March 27, 2010 14:25

i know one who got into the stones because of "sex drive" and he also thinks
this was their best song ever.

and i agree to like sol or not must have something to do with age. smiling smiley

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 27, 2010 15:18

deadegad
stoneswashed77
deadegad
I Recall Bono in an interview saying with a straight face that he wished U@ could write a song as good as Streets of Love.

Although Bono tried to hide it, it was clear he was kidding. SOL is Pure Crap Vol. II.

do you remember where you read or saw this?? would like to see it myself. smiling smiley

Actually I saw a video clip on television of Bono saying it, but have no recollection of which program it was.
Bono has written worse songs than SOL. But after he began socializing with Mr. Bush, he lost control of his own ego - the same with The Edge, but what can you expect from this kind of people.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 27, 2010 17:38

tomcat2006
Personally, I really like Biggest Mistake.

And Streets of Love was a real treat live - a concert highlight, no doubt.

And, as for Rough Justice, finally... it's the Faces meet the Stones.

.....So I am not complaining!

musically, BM is decent enough - lyrically it's laughable - but mick's ridiculous vocal renders it to the unlistenable bucket....

Date: March 27, 2010 17:40

flilflam
Blueranger,

There is nothing at all wrong with this song. I have noticed that the younger fans really like this song. I like it too.

Jagger has stated that he likes to throw in a new song with a different feel to it, in order to bring in a new demographic to the Stones fan base. It is a marketing device to increase sales. The Stones are an international corporation. I know of one fan who became familiar with the Stones discography when she heard Harlem Shuffle on the radio.

Do not apologize for liking any Stones song. Do not let some of these old timers influence your appreciation of Stones music. Some fans will not open their minds up to new material, because it does not have that sixties feel to it, or because it does not conjure up images of flower power.

i don't think anyone here is influencing (or even trying to influence) anyone. and, you're wrong about it being an older v. younger fan thing. i know many a younger stones fan who hate this song as much as i do. ErikSnow? you care to chime in?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 27, 2010 17:50

KeefintheNight82
Gazza
Muddyw

Do you know specifically which songs were written for Alfie, Gazza?

Mick mentioned in a radio interview (for either Virgin or BBC, cant recall which) that a few were originally written for that project (it could be they just werent finished in time). From memory, I'm pretty sure 'Laugh I Nearly Died' was one. Considering the plot of the film, I suppose its quite possible that some of the more 'reflective' lyrics on the album may also have been - eg 'Biggest Mistake'. Matt Clifford's involvement on 'Streets of Love' suggest it could have been worked on some time earlier than ABB as well.

Date: March 27, 2010 18:00

Gazza
Matt Clifford

why doesn't this get censored like the other vulgar words on this board? don't understand that...it should come out like ($*&(# (&#$& or something...

Date: March 27, 2010 18:03

StonesTod
Gazza
Matt Clifford

why doesn't this get censored like the other vulgar words on this board? don't understand that...it should come out like ($*&(# (&#$& or something...

hahaha. grinning smiley thumbs up

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: March 27, 2010 18:06

Gazza
Matt Clifford's involvement on 'Streets of Love' suggest it could have been worked on some time earlier than ABB as well.

The liner notes say pre-production by Matt Clifford. So everybody knows that this one should be a Jagger solo outtake and done before the ABB session. Seems that the rest of the band only did some overdubs piece by piece ...

Date: March 27, 2010 18:09

pre-production can also mean it was recorded from scratch for abb.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1395
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home