Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Disaster: Stones' failed to crack the US Top 200 after American Idol
Posted by: cc ()
Date: March 25, 2010 05:55

not that I care, but why does the cited article focus only on the sales of Hot Rocks? Wouldn't 40 Licks be a more reasonable choice (or was Hot Rocks featured on the show)?

in any event, there would probably be some diffusion effect on their numbers, since there are so many Stones albums one might buy.

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: March 25, 2010 06:23

'Play With Fire' is not on 40 Licks and I here that was a standout performance on the show. I can't really say I care. It's a goofy-ass show for people who don't have music in their soul like probably everyone reading this does, or else they would not be reading it. I remember Mick and Keith making negative comments about American Idol, something about musical gameshows, in a Matt Lauer interview. If they had gone on the show, I would have been undescribably disappointed, to say the least. Worst thing since Jimmy Page playing for Puff Daddy.

I don't think it has anything to do with Exile's potential sales. It will help a little, if anything, to get a little extra exposure to people who don't know who The Rolling Stones are. They might sell an extra twenty copies of Exile. The people who will buy Exile are, for the most part, people who have never watched 'American Idol', like myself. My ex-girlfriend once left her Carrie Underwood cd in my Exile On Mainstreet case, and it almost caused me to hit a tree when I saw it. Sacreligious! They should have more categories in life. They can't both fall under the umbrella of 'music'.

The Rolling Stones can, and always could, provide a solid spine-chilling effect for me that no Karaoke gameshow contestant could ever even imagine, or else they would not be a karaoke gameshow contestant. They would be using their 'talents' in an authentic setting. How many greats do you know that would not have been voted off in the first round of American Idol? Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Bob Dylan, Mick Jagger, John Lennon, Bob Marley, Chuck Berry, Jimi Hendrix...Elvis might have won. Maybe Michael Jackson or Otis Redding, but Carrie Underwood might would have beat them. Let them sing their standards note for note, and let us enjoy some real soul music.

Two different worlds.

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 25, 2010 07:00

Forty Licks is out of print anyway.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 25, 2010 08:06

skipstone
They should have only let them all sing Streets Of Love. Then - and only then - would it have been perfect.

That would have been "awful bad", as Mick would say.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 25, 2010 08:13

... what is the deal with the band "allowing" it or not?
as far as i know there's no way to stop someone from covering a published work - they just have to pay the appropriate fees.

from the "how stuff works" site [entertainment.howstuffworks.com] :
>> Once the song has been recorded and publicly distributed, however, compulsory licensing kicks in
and everyone who wants to cover (record) the song can do so without your specific permission.
They are required by law to pay you a statutory royalty rate, however, as well as notify you
that they're going to release it, and send you monthly royalty statements. <<

it's not like licensing the Stones' own recordings to use in a commercial or a political campaign or a soap opera -
that's a different issue. so ... does the band (and/or songwriters, and/or ABKCO)
for sure have to give permission when one of the Idol shows features Stones songs??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-25 09:38 by with sssoul.

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: March 25, 2010 10:19

I'm not surprised by any of this. American idol's audience is mostly little girls 8 and up and some familys. But mostly young adults and kids.

This is not the audience that likes the Stones or 'gets' them. You can debate why that is but it's true.

Anyway, little kids that watch american idol and vote for the cutest boy don't know jumping jack %$#& about good music.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: March 25, 2010 11:48

i'm sure mick is crying in his bed over this. as i said in another thread, americam idol is just synthetic crap

Posted by: Ruby Friday ()
Date: March 25, 2010 11:50

Since we don't get to see Amercian Idol, I'm just wondering, which song were used on the Stones night ?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 25, 2010 11:53

Just spent a few minutes watching some of the contestants on YouTube, and as far as I'm concerned the performances ranged from "not bad" to OUCH!!! (and most of them were definitely OUCH). I don't think any of them would have made me want to rush out and find the original, with the possible exceptions of Play with Fire and Beast of Burden (neither of them very typical Stones numbers). Most of us could have guessed in advance that a Stones cover calculated to appeal to the likes of Simon Cowell would be unlikely to do justice to the original.

I don't think it's fair to accuse the Stones of degrading themselves or getting desperate by having their catalogue used on American Idol unless it was their idea to do this - the fact that they didn't make any effort to get personally involved suggests that it probably wasn't.

And by the way, however much some of their later fans may resent the idea, little girls screaming for a bunch of sexy boys had quite a lot to do with furthering the Stones' early career - and if we didn't know much about good music at first, we soon learned!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 25, 2010 14:48

The Sicilian
Gazza
Its not important in that sense, no - but it shows that even a move as desperate as letting their music be showcased on a hugely popular but utterly cheesy TV show has backfired totally. A loss of credibility with not even a decent sales jump to make up for it.

Maybe so, but if they had put any effort into coaching some of these kids and making an appearance, usually followed by a brief performance themselves, things would have been much different.

Call it cheesy but it is a top rated show year in and out. Many artists are starting to see the exposure associated with the show.

'Many artists' are evidently desperate and are quite content to lower their standards by whoring themselves on it.

'Some artists' on the other hand would see the show for the plastic, disposable anti-music crap that it is and would insist on having nothing to do with it.

It should IMO be beneath any act who made a career the proper way to have anything to do with this show. It represents all that's f**ked up about the music industry now. If bands like the Stones were starting out now, they would have never have been as successful as they are.

This show is aimed at teenage girls and little else. The notion that a bunch of somewhat decrepit looking men in their late 60's could gain some credibility, sales and a new audience by performing on it is highly implausible IMO.

It would be an all-time low if the Stones ever appeared on crap like this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-25 14:49 by Gazza.

Date: March 25, 2010 14:53

ghostryder13
i'm sure mick is crying in his bed over this. as i said in another thread, americam idol is just synthetic crap

It is, of course, but another way of looking at it is that if the Stones can fail to benefit from even a lowest common denominator stunt like this to improve their plummeting sales, then things are pretty desperate.

Its not exactly going to encourage them to release new music.

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: March 25, 2010 15:48

If I didn't know the Stones music already, I wouldn't go out and buy anything based on what I saw/heard on AI either.

Date: March 25, 2010 16:35

drbryant
That would have been "awful bad", as Mick would say.

How about really awful bad...ha ha.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 25, 2010 16:41

Gazza
The Sicilian
Gazza
Its not important in that sense, no - but it shows that even a move as desperate as letting their music be showcased on a hugely popular but utterly cheesy TV show has backfired totally. A loss of credibility with not even a decent sales jump to make up for it.

Maybe so, but if they had put any effort into coaching some of these kids and making an appearance, usually followed by a brief performance themselves, things would have been much different.

Call it cheesy but it is a top rated show year in and out. Many artists are starting to see the exposure associated with the show.

'Many artists' are evidently desperate and are quite content to lower their standards by whoring themselves on it.

'Some artists' on the other hand would see the show for the plastic, disposable anti-music crap that it is and would insist on having nothing to do with it.

It should IMO be beneath any act who made a career the proper way to have anything to do with this show. It represents all that's f**ked up about the music industry now. If bands like the Stones were starting out now, they would have never have been as successful as they are.

This show is aimed at teenage girls and little else. The notion that a bunch of somewhat decrepit looking men in their late 60's could gain some credibility, sales and a new audience by performing on it is highly implausible IMO.

It would be an all-time low if the Stones ever appeared on crap like this.

total baloney, gazza.

i disrespectfully ask that you remove this post or i'll tell the real story of what went down in london in '06....

Re: Rolling Stones sales are a gas, gas, gas after 'Idol' week
Date: March 25, 2010 16:45

T&A, I think you should remove "I", "I'll" and any reference to the Stones with or without any past or present band members from all of your posts/threads/blogs/whatevers since they might offend someone.

Date: March 25, 2010 16:47

skipstone
T&A, I think you should remove "I", "I'll" and any reference to the Stones with or without any past or present band members from all of your posts/threads/blogs/whatevers since they might offend someone.

i'm sorry - was that a respectful or disrespectful request? i need to know whether to file this under R or D....

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: March 25, 2010 16:55

If the Stones were on the show and sales were poor I would worry, but some 18 year old nerd doing a hack job on Gimmie Shelter isn't really reason for anyone to run out and buy 40 Licks is it?

Date: March 25, 2010 17:04

Hot Rocks. You can't get Forty Licks - at least brand new!

T&A - some of your language is not politically correct so you should remove ALL posts because you don't know which ones are not PC. You've gotten a bit emos on us.

Date: March 25, 2010 17:12

skipstone
T&A - some of your language is not politically correct

i only know english...and it's not my fault if that's a politically unpopular language. my mama taught it to me at a very young age; she knew french too, but for some reason picked the unPC language to teach me....she never really liked me....

Date: March 25, 2010 18:15

T&A

total baloney, gazza.

i disrespectfully ask that you remove this post or i'll tell the real story of what went down in london in '06....

Do your worst!

I never laid a hand on that poor little sheep and you know it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-25 18:16 by Gazza.

Date: March 25, 2010 18:22

Gazza
T&A

total baloney, gazza.

Do your worst!

I never laid a hand on that poor little sheep and you know it!

omg! i knew you were blotto, but - IT WAS A GOAT!!!!

Date: March 25, 2010 18:29

I was just trying to take it's head off to make some soup, and I got stuck, your honour.....

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 26, 2010 15:42

AAARGH!

Simon Cowell to be honoured with Emmy

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by: normanplace ()
Date: March 26, 2010 22:17

O.K. Stones fan or not you have got to wonder when does the classic rock money machine finally end. Boomers just don't ever let go and move on to new music and the relentless push of classic rock continues. American Idol, Guitar Hero, Rock Band. Passing on our derelict, unimaginitive habits to the youth. London Calling in Muzak at the supermarket.

Think about this, Hot Rocks is forty years old. Many of the songs are 45 years old. In 1970 a 45 year old song was from 1925. That is what we are dealing with. This stuff is SO OLD. smiling smiley

Top hots from 1925....isn't it time to kill our heroes.

* "All Alone", recorded by:
o John McCormack
o Paul Whiteman & his Orchestra
* "Everything Is Hotsy Totsy Now" by The Coon-Sanders Nighthawks
* "Charleston" by Paul Whiteman & His Orchestra
* "Dinah" by Ethel Waters
* "Ah-Ha!" by Ted Lewis & His Jazz Band
* "Let's All Go to Mary's House" by Savoy Orpheans
* "St. Louis Blues" by Bessie Smith
* "Sweet Georgia Brown", recorded by:
o Ben Bernie & His Orchestra
o Ethel Waters
* "While We Danced 'Til Dawn" by Ted Lewis & His Jazz Band
* "Yes Sir, That's My Baby" by Ace Brigode & His Fourteen Virginians
* "Everybody Loves My Baby" by Blossom Seeley
* "If You Knew Susie (Like I Know Susie)" by Eddie Cantor
* "The Prisoner's Song" by Vernon Dalhart
* "Remember" by Isham Jones & His Orchestra

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: March 26, 2010 23:10

FREE CONCERT! YEAH! I'll wear my " HELL'S ANGELS SUCK" black tee shirt and I'll pack my pistol!

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: March 27, 2010 04:16

I like this guy's voice. good job!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-27 04:47 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: March 27, 2010 05:21

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: March 27, 2010 08:44

I wonder if 40 licks were still available to buy if it would be a bigger seller than Hot Rocks.

Date: March 27, 2010 09:30

why is 40 licks out of print?

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: March 27, 2010 09:42

That list from 1925 is killer!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1277
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home