Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Flowers
Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: March 24, 2010 08:02

Did The Stones' themselves, put this together?

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: March 24, 2010 09:27

Sittin On A Fence and Ride On Baby were suggested for Could You Walk On The Water, the never released lp that would have been the first Jagger/Richards only release before Aftermath. Sad Day was on that original list too. The same goes for Mother's Little Helper and Take It Or Leave It.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-24 09:56 by JJHMick.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: March 24, 2010 11:00

My acetate from flowers.

Date: March 24, 2010 18:05

Doxa
Side A
1. We Love You
2. Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby?
3. Dandelion
4. Long Long While
5. Out of Time
6. Who's Driving Your Plane?

Side B
1. Backsteet Girl
2. Please Go Home
3. Mother's Little Helper
4. Take It Or Leave It
5. Ride on, Baby
6. Sittin On A Fence

I would cliam this would have quite stronger profile and identity nowadays than the 'real' one...>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Funny, Doxa, I had made up my mind about Flowers some time ago and came to similar conclusions. I would keep the US versions as they have the singles on it. If you do a rearrangement of Aftermath with 14 songs (such as the UK issue), then you will include Mother’s Little Helper and Out Of Time. Then you can keep for Flowers the original My Girl plus as a further extra of the not released Could You Walk on The Water: Sad Say (as there certainly won’t be a No Stone Unturned reissue, see your Who’s Driving…).
Mine looks (and sounds) like this

Side A: We Love You; Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing In The Shadow?; Dandelion; Long Long While; Who’s Driving Your Plane; My Girl
Side B: Back Street Girl; Please Go Home; Sad Day; Take It Or Leave It; Ride On Baby; Sittin’ On A Fence.

Anyway: Do you tape/record your new versions? I have done it quite often - even inspiring was the discussion about EOMS as one-lp and the like (or record Let It Bleed or Dirty Work in the order on the sleeve).
This different track listing gives you a total new feel of listening!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 24, 2010 18:47

JJHMick, nice to see you that someone else is neither otally satisfied with the official albums... no I haven't made a copy yet - I just play it in mind - but perhaps I will play the songs in that order to hear how it really sounds (with modern technology it is so easy)... For example, the first three cuts sound very intersting to listen one after other...

- Doxa

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 24, 2010 19:08

john r
If Doxa's tracklisting had been issued, the album would have been delayed a couple months...I always included 'Sad Day' (w/Plane & What to Do) in place of the 3 re-runs...Either case, a fine followup to Buttons...

That's true: FLOWERS was realeased in June while "We Love You" in August. It could be the case that the band actually couldn't provide the single in time. Seemingly it as important to have a summer album out in America: OUT OF OUR HEADS was a huge seller of summer of 1965 while AFTERMATH and BIG HITS for summer 1966. Thanks to non-curricular matters of Mick, Keith and Brian the focus of the band seemed to be quite in target to produce the single in time (to follow the huge summer hits of "Satisfaction" and "Paint It Black" of the previous summers. All in all, the schedule the band seemed to work with broke down during 1967, and finally the departure of Andrew Loog Oldham seemed to mark the end of a hit single/ album every fourth month -era. The artificial nature of FLOWERS does really indicate that ALO and the band were not seeing the band and its function any longer the same way.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-24 19:17 by Doxa.

Date: March 25, 2010 18:32

Doxa
john r
If Doxa's tracklisting had been issued, the album would have been delayed a couple months...I always included 'Sad Day' (w/Plane & What to Do) in place of the 3 re-runs...Either case, a fine followup to Buttons...

That's true: FLOWERS was realeased in June while "We Love You" in August. It could be the case that the band actually couldn't provide the single in time. Seemingly it as important to have a summer album out in America: OUT OF OUR HEADS was a huge seller of summer of 1965 while AFTERMATH and BIG HITS for summer 1966. Thanks to non-curricular matters of Mick, Keith and Brian the focus of the band seemed to be quite in target to produce the single in time (to follow the huge summer hits of "Satisfaction" and "Paint It Black" of the previous summers. All in all, the schedule the band seemed to work with broke down during 1967, and finally the departure of Andrew Loog Oldham seemed to mark the end of a hit single/ album every fourth month -era. The artificial nature of FLOWERS does really indicate that ALO and the band were not seeing the band and its function any longer the same way.

- Doxa

This makes me think that it might be a new approach in release policy: What we need is a Chronolgy instead of an Anthology

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: March 27, 2010 09:26

Great great record. Like a time warp into the mid 60s. I love that period of the Stones career. Ride on Baby and Sittin' on a fence are forgotten gems.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2375
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home