Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Music From Big Brown
Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: March 25, 2010 18:38

I've always wondered what the Stones thought about The Band and viceversa...apart from "Music From Big Brown" written on the cover of Beggar's Banquet which references The Band's debut album and reading some Robbie Robertson interview where he mentions Brian Jones is there any interview or anything where any of the Stones mention The Band?
"Deuce And A Quarter" sounds fantastic with Keith sharing vocals with Levon, both great, soulful singers.

Re: Music From Big Brown
Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: March 25, 2010 19:19

There's a Keith comment dating not long after The Band's appearance at the '69
Isle Of Wight Festival w/ Dylan, where he essentially said they were a bit boring in concert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-25 19:19 by Sohoe.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: March 26, 2010 01:53

stones78
I've always wondered what the Stones thought about The Band and viceversa...apart from "Music From Big Brown" written on the cover of Beggar's Banquet which references The Band's debut album and reading some Robbie Robertson interview where he mentions Brian Jones is there any interview or anything where any of the Stones mention The Band?
"Deuce And A Quarter" sounds fantastic with Keith sharing vocals with Levon, both great, soulful singers.

I love this question.

I'm thinking....The Band's brand of Americana music is really different from the Stones (note: I know they're all Canadian), isn't it? I'm thinking The Band has more in common with, say, Creedence than with the Stones. What do the Stones think of Creedence? maybe because CCR has arguably more of a groove than The Band maybe Keith would find them a little more interesting. But I'm not surprised if Mick just didn't find them all that compelling.

otoh...what rock and roll bands did Mick ever love...you know? He's the figurehead (or the head, depending on who you ask) of the world's greatest rock and roll band, but he's not really the pal-around-with-other-macho-rockstars kind of guy. Or someone who'd go to Led Zeppelin shows because he LOVES rock and roll so much. Not counting Hendrix, because he was a phenomenon and a person who was as close to the tippy top of the scene as they were. And probably Clapton's various bands too, and Dylan. Keith liked The faces cuz he liked the guys and they were mates -- but would Mick reeeallly be a big fan of that kind of music? even tho he makes the best rock and roll music?

But back to the Band....not meaning to imply the Band is "just rock and roll." They, like the Stones and Creedence, draw heavily, literally from American (or maybe North American) roots music. They're interpreters.

So here's a question: at their most popular and well-known, how did The Band's popularity compare in Europe, UK, Canada, and US? I am totally guessing that The Band would be much bigger in North America than Europe. And maybe The Band appeals more to North Americans. And that night be part of the lack of excitement Keith/Stones would have found with The Band?

I'm thinking tho...more than anything....the Stones are music snobs. Other than black American and roots/folk/country music that pre-dated them --- and other music styles that influenced them as they came about: disco, reggae, punk, etc --- what "bands" did they ever rave about?

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: March 26, 2010 02:03

swiss
I'm thinking....The Band's brand of Americana music is really different from the Stones (note: I know they're all Canadian)
everyone but Levon Helm, he's from Arkansas.

I seem to recall an interview with Ringo Starr for a biography of The Band on A&E years ago and he mentioned how he had an acetate of their first album and he was in a hotel with George Harrison and Clapton and others and they were all just blown away by it. I'm pretty sure he said Mick and Keith were there. I think The Band were pretty well respected within the music community, and rightfully so. Clapton wanted to quit Cream and join The Band but was too chicken to ask if he could. Ringo had towels on his drumkit trying to get Levon's sound.

Date: March 26, 2010 02:30

bernardanderson
swiss
I'm thinking....The Band's brand of Americana music is really different from the Stones (note: I know they're all Canadian)
everyone but Levon Helm, he's from Arkansas.

I seem to recall an interview with Ringo Starr for a biography of The Band on A&E years ago and he mentioned how he had an acetate of their first album and he was in a hotel with George Harrison and Clapton and others and they were all just blown away by it. I'm pretty sure he said Mick and Keith were there. I think The Band were pretty well respected within the music community, and rightfully so. Clapton wanted to quit Cream and join The Band but was too chicken to ask if he could. Ringo had towels on his drumkit trying to get Levon's sound.

Boy I would LOVE to see that documentary!! I'll try to track it down. I love the Last Waltz -- have seen it a million times -- and always think of the moment when Eric Clapton is playing Further on up the Road and his guitar strap breaks, and Robbie Robertson picks up the solo and looks like the most ecstatic coked out freak for having seamlessly grabbed it where Clapton dropped off. Great scene!

Have you guys ever seen that film of a train across Canada, with The Band, Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, all sorts of other musicians? Some crazy-assed footage (like Janis being fuucked up out of her mind with an equally fuucked up Rock danko and Jerry Garcia) and some really good music.

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: March 26, 2010 02:38

Festival Express is what you speak of. really good stuff.

and it looks like that bio i mentioned is available for sale on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Band-Authorized-Video-Biography-VHS/dp/6303704611 highly recommended!

Date: March 26, 2010 02:41

bernardanderson
Festival Express is what you speak of. really good stuff.

and it looks like that bio i mentioned is available for sale on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Band-Authorized-Video-Biography-VHS/dp/6303704611 highly recommended!

Cool, bernardanderson, thank you! Yes, Festival Express is the transCanadian train/bands docu.

Date: March 26, 2010 02:51

stones78

fwiw...The Band's Rick Danko Revs up Legenndary Career by Matthew Lewis, Variety, March 1997.
excerpt: "Danko, who lives in Woodstock, N.Y., also says he'd like to make a "rock 'n' roll duo" album with Rolling Stones great Keith Richards, but no plans have been set yet."

Posted by: loveyoulive75 ()
Date: March 26, 2010 03:58

As my wife says, " Exile On Main Street is the Stones' version of The Basement Tapes" (On which The Band backed Dylan, of course.) I tend to agree ("Torn And Frayed", in particular, has that Band type sound.) I'm sure Mick, at least, digested his copies of the Basement Tapes acetate and Music From Big Pink quite a bit. There is no denying or escaping the amount of influence The Band had on, well, just about every musician who heard those records when they came out. Hell, Clapton and Harrison both wanted to join up!

Their music is arguably a bit of an acquired taste, but The Band were one of the most all-around talented musical units of their era. At least until the usual drugs, booze and management issues got the better of them. And I'd f---ing kill to be able to sing like Richard Manuel.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 26, 2010 06:03

Keith And Levon Helm cut a version of Kevin Gordon's
Deuce & Quarter for the 1996 Scotty Moore - All King's Men album

ROCKMAN

Date: March 26, 2010 10:48

loveyoulive75
As my wife says, " Exile On Main Street is the Stones' version of The Basement Tapes"

That's a great analogy, both bands drawing heavily from American roots, although with quite different approaches, each an encyclopedia of blues, country & rock and roll.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: March 26, 2010 11:12

swiss
stones78

I love this question.

I'm thinking....The Band's brand of Americana music is really different from the Stones (note: I know they're all Canadian), isn't it? I'm thinking The Band has more in common with, say, Creedence than with the Stones. What do the Stones think of Creedence? maybe because CCR has arguably more of a groove than The Band maybe Keith would find them a little more interesting. But I'm not surprised if Mick just didn't find them all that compelling.

otoh...what rock and roll bands did Mick ever love...you know? He's the figurehead (or the head, depending on who you ask) of the world's greatest rock and roll band, but he's not really the pal-around-with-other-macho-rockstars kind of guy. Or someone who'd go to Led Zeppelin shows because he LOVES rock and roll so much. Not counting Hendrix, because he was a phenomenon and a person who was as close to the tippy top of the scene as they were. And probably Clapton's various bands too, and Dylan. Keith liked The faces cuz he liked the guys and they were mates -- but would Mick reeeallly be a big fan of that kind of music? even tho he makes the best rock and roll music?

But back to the Band....not meaning to imply the Band is "just rock and roll." They, like the Stones and Creedence, draw heavily, literally from American (or maybe North American) roots music. They're interpreters.

So here's a question: at their most popular and well-known, how did The Band's popularity compare in Europe, UK, Canada, and US? I am totally guessing that The Band would be much bigger in North America than Europe. And maybe The Band appeals more to North Americans. And that night be part of the lack of excitement Keith/Stones would have found with The Band?

I'm thinking tho...more than anything....the Stones are music snobs. Other than black American and roots/folk/country music that pre-dated them --- and other music styles that influenced them as they came about: disco, reggae, punk, etc --- what "bands" did they ever rave about?

I have always thought about the stones and CCR as well, Ive read that Brian liked Proud Mary, but what of Mick and Keith?

Date: March 26, 2010 11:28

I've read somewhere that Mick was a big fan of the MC5 at that time, about 69'...Keith I suppose was into old blues and country, as he was hanging out with Gram Parsons & Taj Mahal...
Curiosly Rag Mama Rag by The Band was a big hit on the U.K.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: March 26, 2010 11:33

Have John Fogerty and Keith ever crossed paths? Ifeel a collaboration between the two would be great.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: March 26, 2010 18:27

I think that it's a crying shame that The Band isn't more popular in certain European countries, including mine.They are almost criminally overlooked by some people who claim to be huge rock fans.At their prime The Band were just as great as The Beatles and The Stones, if not better.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 27, 2010 00:00

loveyoulive75
Their music is arguably a bit of an acquired taste, but The Band were one of the most all-around talented musical units of their era. At least until the usual drugs, booze and management issues got the better of them. And I'd f---ing kill to be able to sing like Richard Manuel.

they had not one but THREE of the most amazing singers of any generation. and you're right - their individual talents (not to mention collective brilliance) was astounding. i could easily make a case for each of them being the best in the biz on their respective instruments - and then together it became pure magic. will never see the likes of another act like this again. their music is as timeless as the hills....

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 27, 2010 00:33

I am totally guessing that The Band would be much bigger in North America than Europe.

These are the only songs I know from The Band as an European

Time to Kill
Life Is a Carnival.
The Weigh

About CCR, I think deep down in there hearts they all love CCR, actually I never met anybody who don't like CCR

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: March 27, 2010 06:48

NICOS
I am totally guessing that The Band would be much bigger in North America than Europe.

These are the only songs I know from The Band as an European

Time to Kill
Life Is a Carnival.
The Weigh

About CCR, I think deep down in there hearts they all love CCR, actually I never met anybody who don't like CCR

Well, you got some catching up to do and I totally envy you.Give a spin to their first two records or get The Last Waltz movie.As great as CCR is I think that The Band might be the most essential North American Band of all time.There is just certain chemistry between the band member that is impossible to emulate.What I find so striking is that all of them are complete as musicians in terms of their playing and singing. Whatever they play they almost seem completely flawless.Even the lesser albums can be mind blowing at times,

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1943
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home