Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Non Keith Opening Riffs, and By Whom?
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: March 18, 2010 03:02

I had always assumed that Keith, since he wrote all or most of the songs, was the one to play the opening chords to kick off the tune. I have always wondered who played the opening licks for these songs. Was it Jagger, Wood, Taylor, or maybe a guest guitarist such as Wayne Perkins?

Slave-Wood?

Rain Fall Down-Jagger?

Can't You Hear Me Knocking-Taylor, according to Jagger, but others say Keith

Heart of Stone-Jones?

Bitch-Keith or Taylor?

Someone help me out. I am trying to compile a list of all Stones songs whose opening notes are not played by Richards.

Re: Non Keith Opening Riffs, and By Whom?
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 18, 2010 03:06

Sad Sad Sad, Jagger

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 18, 2010 03:12

Stop Breaking Down - Jagger
Sway - Jagger
Some Girls - Jagger
Respectable - Jagger (?)

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: March 18, 2010 03:21

flilflam

Slave-Wood? Keith

Rain Fall Down-Jagger? Seems so,

Can't You Hear Me Knocking-Taylor, according to Jagger, but others say Keith. KEITH!

Heart of Stone-Jones? Keith

Bitch-Keith or Taylor? Taylor

Someone help me out. I am trying to compile a list of all Stones songs whose opening notes are not played by Richards.

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: March 18, 2010 05:10

Just by the sound of it, and just based on my intuitive "knowledge" (for what it's worth, though I've imitated his guitar style since the early '80s!) of Keith's style of playing and sense of rhythm, I would swear "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" is his.

I would wager "Slave" too, though I can't be certain (check out his very similar riff on Nona Hendryx's "Rock This House", 1985, if you can find it).

On "Can't You Hear", here's some quotes:

(Keith and I) both played on (the intro) actually, it was one of the few, well not of the few Stones tracks because lots of tracks we recorded with the Stones in those days were actually by and large recorded live the way you would play them onstage, sometimes even in 1 or 2 takes. Very rarely were guitar solos overdubbed, I mean other things may have been overdubbed, but very rarely were guitar solos overdubbed, they were usually sort of done with the backing track so they were done live.
- Mick Taylor, 1995

On that song, my fingers just landed in the right place and I discovered a few things about that tuning (open G) that I'd never been aware of. I think I realized that even as I was cutting the track.
- Keith Richards, 2002

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 18, 2010 05:13

flilflam
I had always assumed that Keith, since he wrote all or most of the songs, was the one to play the opening chords to kick off the tune. I have always wondered who played the opening licks for these songs. Was it Jagger, Wood, Taylor, or maybe a guest guitarist such as Wayne Perkins?

Slave-Wood?

Rain Fall Down-Jagger?

Heart of Stone-Jones?

Bitch-Keith or Taylor?

I'm inclined to believe it won't matter what anyone tells you - you're still going on Taylor being the opener for CYHMK all because of some singer saying something.

Date: March 18, 2010 11:36

flilflam

Slave-Wood?

Rain Fall Down-Jagger?

Heart of Stone-Jones?

Bitch-Keith or Taylor?

Slave - Keith
Rain Fall Down - Jagger
Can't You Hear Me Knocking - Keith
Heart Of Stone - Keith
Bitch - Taylor
Sad, Sad, Sad - Mick
Highwire - Mick
Hold On To Your Hat - Mick
Hearts For Sale - Mick
Stop Breakin' Down - Mick
Sway - Mick
Some Girls - Keith and Mick (and Ronnie? It's really just an A-chord)
Respectable - Keith

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: March 18, 2010 11:45

Hey Negrita is Ronnies, I suppose.
Ron Wood, 1982
That number came about from Keith and I in a hotel, you know... idea swaps. And it eventually came around to, What was that one you were working on, Woody? So I thought, Oh, great, here's my chance. I immediately made up this riff.

Ron Wood, 2003
All of us, independently and together, were into reggae, and it was also a mood of the time. I had this particular lick that I took into the studio and the others said, What are we going to start with? and I said, I've got this song. Charlie was sitting behind his kit, so he was already into it and then Keith and Mick both got into the motion of it. That was Hey Negrita, which came together very easily. The key to getting a song across in this band is never to try and write all the words. If you've got the rhythm, you're lucky! Let Mick write the words and then you're in with a chance.

Ventilator Blues is Mick Taylor.

(Quotes found on time is on our side)

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: March 18, 2010 12:14

Don't stop........... Jagger
Laugh i nearly.........Jagger

Date: March 18, 2010 12:22

hEAVEN...........Bill Wyman????????

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: March 18, 2010 12:30

Black Limousine...Ronnie

Date: March 18, 2010 12:40

<Ventilator Blues is Mick Taylor.>

(Quotes found on time is on our side)[/quote]

Actually not: [www.timeisonourside.com]

Both Taylor and Keith play slide on this track, and I think it's been confirmed here many times that it's Keith playing the opening riff, not Taylor.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: March 18, 2010 12:44

when you think of it it´s crazy how many guitars i like were actually played by mick.

is he underated as a guitarist???

Date: March 18, 2010 13:01

Mick Jagger is reaching higher skills than the other reputated guitar players of the band

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: March 18, 2010 14:00

"Mick Jagger is reaching higher skills than the other reputated guitar players of the band"

Love it, if you guys repeat the rubbish enough times it starts to become fact....

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: March 18, 2010 14:12

At the very least Mick seems to be the only one who is still improving and learning new tricks, as opposed to Keith and Ron who are just losing it.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 18, 2010 14:32

Is the acoustic on Moonlight Mile played by Mick Jagger?

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: March 18, 2010 14:40

Jagger plays acoustic on Moonlight Mile.

Date: March 18, 2010 14:42

baxlap

Great track!!!

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: March 18, 2010 14:48

baxlap

really? it´s not taylor??

if so .. wow i have to rethink about Sir Mick Jagger.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: March 18, 2010 14:49

DandelionPowderman

Both Taylor and Keith play slide on this track, and I think it's been confirmed here many times that it's Keith playing the opening riff, not Taylor.

I guess it will always remain a mystery, but the fact that this is the only song they
ever gave songwriting credit to Mick Taylor, is a strong indication that he's the one
to come up with the idea of the song. In the case of Ventilator Blues I'd say the general
idea of the song IS the opening riff.

I know it is open for discussion whether providing a riff to a song should be considered
something to get songwriting credits for. But as I said, this will always remain one
of the mysteries of The Stones.

Date: March 18, 2010 14:54

stoneswashed77
baxlap

really? it´s not taylor??

if so .. wow i have to rethink about Sir Mick Jagger.

Seems Taylor played electric on that one, Jagger on acoustic.

The acoustic part is quite simple to play, but sounds great!

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: March 18, 2010 15:57

The Last Time - Brian Jones

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 18, 2010 19:53

marcovandereijk
DandelionPowderman

I guess it will always remain a mystery, but the fact that this is the only song they
ever gave songwriting credit to Mick Taylor, is a strong indication that he's the one
to come up with the idea of the song. In the case of Ventilator Blues I'd say the general
idea of the song IS the opening riff.

I know it is open for discussion whether providing a riff to a song should be considered
something to get songwriting credits for. But as I said, this will always remain one
of the mysteries of The Stones.

Well, not really a mystery -it's Keith doing the opening riff, and it's also Keith live and during the Dallas rehearsals.

Mathijs

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: March 18, 2010 20:17

The best ever by Jagger: Fingerprint File

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 18, 2010 20:39

Another great one by Jagger again is Heaven from tattoo you!

C

Date: March 18, 2010 22:06

Yeah, Heaven. Love it! Didn´t care much for it the first times I heard it, but it has really grown on me. Brilliant guitar, brilliant singing.

Date: March 19, 2010 10:36

But i've heard that those hypnotic chords in Heaven are played by Wyman!

I am a heavy KR and RW fan; but i have to admitt that the better guitar parts in ABB are played by MJ. And i have to admitt that KR is playing worse anytime, and arthritis is not an excuse, because it is very limitating for speed and some technical skills, but it is not an excuse to play out of tune.

Date: March 19, 2010 11:11

I think Keith's playing on ABB was fine, much better than his live playing on the tour. Let Me Down Slow, for instance, is beautifully played.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: March 19, 2010 12:07

I believe Mick Taylor played the opening guitar (panned left) on I Got The Blues? ..Closely followed by Keith (panned right, with tremelo efftect).

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1773
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home