Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Within 14 days news on new record/cd-deal ?
Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: June 15, 2008 10:40

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-22 20:52 by UrbanSteel.

Re: Within 14 days news on new record/cd-deal ?
Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: June 15, 2008 11:59

Hi Jos,
Another interesting aside to this could be , that as Live Nation have fallen out with Ticketbast'rd any future tour would be handled by Live Nation themselves.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: June 15, 2008 12:04

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-08 12:11 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: martinw ()
Date: June 15, 2008 14:48

Following article in today's Observer Business section:

"The Rolling Stones are on the verge of ending their 31 year relationship with EMI, dealing a blow to private equity owner Terra Firma, led by Guy Hands, which acquired the label in a £3.2bn deal last summer.
Sources say the group is close to clinching a deal with Live Nation, the world's largest concert promotion firm, which would market its back catalogue, depriving EMI of around £3m a year, Live Nation, which last year poached Madonna from Warner, would also take highly profitable merchandising and touring rights for future Stones shows, some of which have grossed as much as £750m.
Details of the new deal could be announced in the next fortnight. It is understood that Universal will have a role, with Live Nation licencing new versions of the catalogue to the American label, which would sell them online and as CDs."

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 15, 2008 15:02

UrbanSteel
It is understood that Universal will have a role, with Live Nation licensing new versions of the catalogue to the American label, which would sell them online and as CDs.

*Fist pumps*
Cool. Maybe we'll finally get some great new versions of the Rolling Stones Records releases. I'm thinking digipacks here. Would be nice.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: cooheid ()
Date: June 16, 2008 00:30

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 16, 2008 09:33

I have ZERO hopes for anything other than what already exists with Virgin. They have no reason to bother.

Fans say otherwise but the Stones don't seem to give a shit.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: June 16, 2008 09:33

If Live Nation is a touring firm, what effects does that have on Michael Cohl's role?

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: June 16, 2008 10:03

JJHMick
If Live Nation is a touring firm, what effects does that have on Michael Cohl's role?

He is chairman of Live Nation.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: June 16, 2008 14:39

I've bought concert tickets thru Live Nation . They charged an extra $20.00 per ticket for handling fees . I hope you all got deep pockets .

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 16, 2008 14:48

skipstone
I have ZERO hopes for anything other than what already exists with Virgin. They have no reason to bother.

Fans say otherwise but the Stones don't seem to give a shit.

well, if they notice that some fans are happy with a new packaging like digipaks (see Kents post!!!) they might be tempted to do just that and avoid the work & cost involved with unreleased bonus tracks (research, proper mixing and so on)!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 16, 2008 14:58

F live nation (clear channel,sfx or whatever alias they have today)and F michael cole .we in the end will get the big F from live nation mark my word .you think we have payed through the nose wait till you see how live nation clear channel scum make us bleed for our last pennys.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 16, 2008 17:41

JumpingKentFlash
UrbanSteel
It is understood that Universal will have a role, with Live Nation licensing new versions of the catalogue to the American label, which would sell them online and as CDs.

*Fist pumps*
Cool. Maybe we'll finally get some great new versions of the Rolling Stones Records releases. I'm thinking digipacks here. Would be nice.

Fantastic news indeed.eye rolling smiley

Another feeble excuse to reissue the post-1970 catalogue for , what, the 5th time? Or is it the 6th?

Totally pointless if it doesnt include additional bonus tracks. A digipack is hardly a good reason to repackage something.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: June 16, 2008 17:47

I hope this will give us a new studio album...not just a reissue or another live biGGer band album..ha...now if they want to issue a live album from the 72/73 tour that would be GREAT!

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: June 16, 2008 17:48

I thought Bob Ezrin was chairman of Live Nation...

PECMAN

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 16, 2008 17:55

Gazza

Another feeble excuse to reissue the post-1970 catalogue for , what, the 5th time? Or is it the 6th?

Totally pointless if it doesnt include additional bonus tracks. A digipack is hardly a good reason to repackage something.

I do hope they don't release the same old stuff with additional bonus tracks. That means that I will have to buy all the discs again ...

C

Stones deny reports of quitting EMI label
Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: June 16, 2008 17:59

[www.inthenews.co.uk]

Rolling Stones deny reports of plans to quit label
Monday, 16 Jun 2008 15:17
Rolling Stones dismiss media reports that they plan to leave EMI Printer friendly version The Rolling Stones have dismissed media reports that they plan to end their business relationship with EMI.

The Observer newspaper had claimed at the weekend that the veteran rockers are close to leaving EMI for concert promoters Live Nation, who recently signed deals with Madonna and Jay-Z.

However, the band's spokesman Bernard Doherty has denied plans to sever ties with EMI after 31 years.

"We are not in talks with Live Nation in connection with any record deal," he said in a statement to the Reuters news agency.

The Observer had said on Sunday that the Stones were "close to clinching a deal with Live Nation" which would see the promotion firm taking control of the band's back catalogue, worth some £3 million annually to EMI.

The report also added that Live Nation would be given control of the band's merchandising and touring rights, which could be worth around £750 million.

Having lost Radiohead and Sir Paul McCartney in 2007, losing the Rolling Stones would see EMI's fortunes turning further for the worse, a path which has seemed difficult to avoid since the label was taken over by private equity firm Terra Firma.

Some 2,000 EMI employees lost their jobs in January and only the sterling performance of Coldplay's new album Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends - which topped the charts on Sunday after only three days on release, having sold more than 300,000 copies - has steered the label in the right direction.

With U2, Madonna and Jay-Z having all signed deals with Live Nation in the past 12 months, the acquisition of the Stones would not be surprising, given the nature of the promoter's agreement with Madonna, for example.

The deal signed in October is the first to encompass all facets of the star's career, with Live Nation holding the rights to her albums, tours, merchandise, website, DVDs, sponsorship, TV shows and films.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 16, 2008 18:04

liddas
Gazza

I do hope they don't release the same old stuff with additional bonus tracks. That means that I will have to buy all the discs again ...

C

You dont have to, liddas. Download the individual songs you want.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 16, 2008 18:26

That latest 'turn' in the issue - send above by Tumbled - seems unfortunately match with the speculation done here at IORR when the news of the band probably leaving EMI started to circulate. Namely, thë band just plays with other possibilities, and milks out from EMI a huge new deal - and everything will remain the same.

Anyway, if they don't do the deal with Live Nation, that MIGHT sound a sign that they probably are not so keen on touring anymore.

- Doxa

Date: June 16, 2008 19:05

Also seeing that LN will hold the rights to merch?

That doesn't sound very good for the Stones. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me that now and since Steel Wheels they've done their own merch, which means all the money except the ovbvious paying people to etc...

It sounds like LN is vying to be a monopoly. In my eyes they are trying to get the Stones for one world tour. Because I can't see the Stones doing more than one more world tour.

Digipak? Why, so they can get battered and torn up? How'bout those as an option? I'm sure they'd do that. I don't care for digipaks - they just fall apart.

Posted by: arizojp ()
Date: June 16, 2008 19:15

Another new (remember the Stones Beeb sessions in the vaults) :

EMI, BBC Strike Major Deal
Wed, 11 Jun 2008 13:55:50

[www.artistdirect.com]

EMI Music and BBC Worldwide have reached an agreement that'll unleash content from both parties. On one level, EMI will be able to use BBC's TV and radio archives to create products across the realm of DVDs, CDs, and digital downloads. And on the other, the BBC can use EMI performances in new international radio and TV programs.

"We are very excited about this agreement," Pete Duckworth, a senior vice president at EMI, told Billboard.com. "In the BBC vaults there is a wealth of unreleased and high quality material from EMI artists that we will now be able to bring to fans. At the same time, we can offer new revenue opportunities to our artists that simply weren't there before."

Among the selections in BBC's archive are early Coldplay recordings, a David Bowie doc from 1975, and a Piper at the Gates of Dawn performance by Pink Floyd from 1967. A few other details: Artists involved with the deal at any point will be asked for clearance on each project, and both companies will receive reciprocal royalties for the other's sales.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: June 17, 2008 03:03

Rumor has it that Cole is leaving Live Nation.

Back catalog does not matter (IMO), CD sales suck. Fans own the music or can find it free from friends or illegal download. The real money is in ring tones and endorsments. The record industry is dead.

Friends in the industry think that Live Nation doing their own ticketing is a HUGE mistake. The fans will not save money on all the add-on charges that Ticketmaster puts on. Some of the fees are split with the promoter, Live Nation will just get a larger cut since Ticketmaster is out of the picture. Do you think Live Nation ticketing will pass the savings to the ticket buyer? Live Nation has NO long term plan to save the touring industry. They are in the give me your money NOW business.

Date: June 17, 2008 04:24

If Cohl leaves then I can't see the Stones wanting anything to do with Live Nation. Just my personal thought. They've been a model for touring (the Stones) - why change now? They've perfected what they basically invented - a rock'n'roll band on tour.

If they do in fact reissue the back catalog again as it is - no changes except remastered to be even better - I'd only get the early 1970s reissues. I wouldn't bother with anything from Some Girls on.

If they do reissue the catalog with a lot of extras - unreleased, B-sides and even the remixes - I would probably get all of them again. I certainly wouldn't bother buying any of the hits comps again. They are basically irrelevant.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 17, 2008 14:30

Gazza
JumpingKentFlash
UrbanSteel

*Fist pumps*

They may have been released that many times, but never have they been released as they should IMO (DeLuxe versions or something like that). My stand point on bonus tracks on CDs are that it ruins the experience of a CD. If I go buy Sticky Fingers (For the UMPTEENTH time I might add), I want it to have a nice packaging and a CD with the best possible sounding music on it. BTW: A Super Jewel Case would be nice for these (Think U2's recent hit compilation and The Best 'O Jagger).
The old Bowie catalogue had bonus tracks in the end, and that ruined the albums. The album shouldn't be anything else than strictly what was originally on it. One could say that they could make the CDs into double discs, and have a single CD with bonus tracks on them. It would also suck, albeit to a lesser degree.

There's enough mess in the Stones' catalogue already, so do some ultimate versions of the 1971-2008 catalogue (Using the 2002 as templates is a good idea) and leave the outtakes/rarities/remixes/alternate versions and such, to a big bad box sometime later.

That's my take on it, but you already knew that I think. grinning smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: June 17, 2008 14:36

"The album shouldn't be anything else than strictly what was originally on it. One could say that they could make the CDs into double discs, and have a single CD with bonus tracks on them. It would also suck, albeit to a lesser degree"

I agree. Listen to the album as the artist intended. Out takes are simply that and were not originally intended for release.

Keep them seperate.

Date: June 17, 2008 18:23

ablett
"The album shouldn't be anything else than strictly what was originally on it. One could say that they could make the CDs into double discs, and have a single CD with bonus tracks on them. It would also suck, albeit to a lesser degree"

I agree. Listen to the album as the artist intended. Out takes are simply that and were not originally intended for release.

Keep them seperate.

I wholly agree. Leave the original albums as they once were intended, created, played, and known at the time. Extras, alternate takes, etc. into extra albums or something. (just think someone trying to change the wonderful artistic chaos of EXILE??? Reason enough to shoot the bastard, I would say. Just like trying to add a bigger breasts to Mona Lisa or new guy into Last Supper of Vinci...).

- Doxa

Date: June 17, 2008 18:36

I agree - leave the original release intact as intended and exists. At least have a second disc with the finished takes and B-sides, etc...and not alter the sequencing at all - although, ha ha, I HAVE done that on my own versions of Stones albums with the ABKCO songs on Exile going on Sticky Fingers, Emotional Rescue etc...

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: June 17, 2008 19:28

Sorry, I can't join the "leave the original releases intact"-club here. The "original" feeling is destroyed for me since CDs began to appear. Nothing can beat the look of those old vinyl album sleeves. More importantly, vinyl album sides were created as such - Side A, Side B. CDs can't give you the same feeling because you don't have to turn them around like original vinyls, you can even program the music as you like. This "original album" feeling is gone. The addition of bonus tracks on future CD editions would not spoil me at all. I know the original album tracklists, so if I am not in the mood for these bonus tracks, I can stop the CD after the album finishes!

Date: June 17, 2008 21:38

retired_dog, you do have a point, and I agree that something crucial was lost when CDs started appear. For example, The Stones albums since VOODOO LOUNGE have lost the idea of how the songs 'breath' together - sides gave so much own identity to the albums (perhaps that is one reason why I don't seem to really get along with their last three studio albums). (And I don't go even to cover art - that plastic, ugly, stupid CD package is the worst thing the 80's brought.)

Anyway, I still belong to "don't touch the original albums or I shoot"-club. Namely, you and I know the originals, but there are new generations to come, and let us give them a chance to taste the 'real thing', too!

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-17 21:39 by Doxa.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 18, 2008 10:00

Totally agree.

Not sure it's just the technology that's led to the album's demise.
I think it's maybe a sad function of modern living in general.
Does anybody ever sit down [or get up and dance if preferred ;^)] with the sole purpose of listening to music any more ?

Good albums have a "personality" that goes beyond the individual songs and folks are missing out on that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-18 10:12 by Spud.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1721
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home