Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Within 14 days news on new record/cd-deal ?
Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: June 18, 2008 11:55

Doxa
retired_dog, you do have a point, and I agree that something crucial was lost when CDs started appear. For example, The Stones albums since VOODOO LOUNGE have lost the idea of how the songs 'breath' together - sides gave so much own identity to the albums (perhaps that is one reason why I don't seem to really get along with their last three studio albums). (And I don't go even to cover art - that plastic, ugly, stupid CD package is the worst thing the 80's brought.)

Anyway, I still belong to "don't touch the original albums or I shoot"-club. Namely, you and I know the originals, but there are new generations to come, and let us give them a chance to taste the 'real thing', too!

- Doxa

For the sake of new generations to come, yes, leave the original albums intact and add bonus tracks on a separate disc. But if they decide to avoid additional costs of separate discs and it comes down to having bonus tracks on the same disc as the original albums or no bonus tracks at all, I am selfish enough to prefer the first option...!

Look, I have been waiting for Stones archive stuff for so long that by now, I already gave up any hopes for box sets or other separate archive releases like complete shows from past tours. So if "expanded" releases of their original albums will be the only way to get some great outtakes and selected live tracks in "official" sound quality, I would not say no.

Of course, it is still possible that they begin to open their archives at some unknown point in the hopefully not too distant future. But, given the more than ragged and ever-declining state of the music industry, it could well be that it will happen through lossy downloads and not full CD quality, not to speak of SACD which seems to move more and more out of the picture.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-18 11:56 by retired_dog.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 18, 2008 15:35

retired_dog......... But, given the more than ragged and ever-declining state of the music industry, it could well be that it will happen through lossy downloads and not full CD quality, not to speak of SACD which seems to move more and more out of the picture.[/quote

The industry seems to have given up entirely on the concept of a high quality music only format.
It's very sad. Especially when, at long last, the potential is probably there to come up with someting that's good enough to rival the best vinyl playback.

If downloaded or copied music files are the way we're going, then fine.
But let's have a good no loss industry standard that's established by some other criteria than how much disc space it occupies or how quick it can be downloaded.
Disc space and download speeds are no longer issues in theses days of ever faster broadband and constantly expanding drive capacities .
There's no reason why ultimate quality can't now be the arbitor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-18 15:35 by Spud.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 18, 2008 16:13

Well the other thing is if they do expand the albums then we all have the CBS and the Virgin reissues - some of us the records on CD as well as vinyl - so in fact there is no reason to complain about altering the albums when there are already the originals and the reissues.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 18, 2008 16:53

skipstone
Well the other thing is if they do expand the albums then we all have the CBS and the Virgin reissues - some of us the records on CD as well as vinyl - so in fact there is no reason to complain about altering the albums when there are already the originals and the reissues.

Yes, but if they come out remastered it's a different talk altogether. Then you'd have the CBS versions (Kept original), the Vigin/EMI versions (Kept original) and the "new label" versions (NOT kept original). That would cause an uproar from me.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: June 18, 2008 17:15

I just hope their next release is a cd of all new music.

Date: June 18, 2008 17:16

TrulyMicks

Their next release is Shine A Light on DVD and Blu-Ray, coming July 29th.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: June 18, 2008 17:26

JumpingKentFlash
TrulyMicks

Their next release is Shine A Light on DVD and Blu-Ray, coming July 29th.

well, after that release!!

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: June 18, 2008 23:18

Pecman
I thought Bob Ezrin was chairman of Live Nation...

PECMAN

Perhaps the Stones can cover "Music from The Elder"?

J

Date: June 19, 2008 03:27

Ah, but the original context is still preserved.

Date: June 21, 2008 23:39

The Virgin deal expired in February? According to things I've read on Google News. So what is this thread all about?

Date: June 22, 2008 02:59

Someone please set this straight. The deal with Virgin expired in February but the deal with EMI just expired in May? How does that work? Is that the back catalog part?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 22, 2008 15:25

skipstone, i'm not sure i understand what's confusing you but as i understand it:
what happened circa february was the announcement that Shine a Light would be coming out on Universal.
that was a one-album deal and it didn't coincide with the end of the Stones' Virgin/EMI contract;
there was simply a lot of speculation at the time, since the end of the Virgin/EMI contract was coming up soon - ie in may 08.

>> So what is this thread all about? <<

it's about the expectation that within two weeks it'll be announced who their next deal is with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-22 17:30 by with sssoul.

Date: June 22, 2008 16:46

What's confused me is that all of the sudden publications are saying their deal ended in February, not May.

Date: June 22, 2008 16:47

skipstone
What's confused me is that all of the sudden publications are saying their deal ended in February, not May.

Didn't it end on June 1st?

JumpingKentFlash

Date: June 22, 2008 17:06

>> all of the sudden publications are saying their deal ended in February, not May. <<

what publications are saying that?? may is what i keep seeing (may 31st, when they get specific)
in any case (as i know you know) lots of wrong things get bandied about on the internet -
i don't think we need to let 'em all confuse us. unless we enjoy being confused :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-22 17:08 by with sssoul.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: June 27, 2008 22:33

14 days are up this weekend!
Who is negotiating for the Stones now that Prince Rupert has gone...
Michael Cohl?
Mick Solo?
anonymous legal people?
Bill Gates?

Date: June 28, 2008 10:40

>> 14 days are up this weekend! <<

the article that started this thread reads: "Details of the new deal could be announced in the next fortnight."
it's speculation, not a deadline. they can wait as long as they want.

Date: June 30, 2008 05:26

Several websites from Google News all said the same thing - their deal ended in February. Maybe it is because they sidestepped Virgin and it was a sign they were done.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: June 30, 2008 11:38

Spud
[The industry seems to have given up entirely on the concept of a high quality music only format.

I thought they were trying again. The new John Mellencamp CD will be available in CODE, "a proprietary audio technology that creates high-definition audio files that are virtually indistinguishable from the original master tapes. The resonance, warmth and presence that has been realized with CODE is nprecedented in the digital era" Apparently!

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 30, 2008 12:33

Braincapers
I thought they were trying again. The new John Mellencamp CD will be available in CODE, "a proprietary audio technology that creates high-definition audio files that are virtually indistinguishable from the original master tapes. The resonance, warmth and presence that has been realized with CODE is nprecedented in the digital era" Apparently!

Oh no, yet another abbrevation for....well, what is it anyway?

Now try finding information about CODE on the internet^^

got a link, Braincapers?

Date: June 30, 2008 15:39

open-g
Oh no, yet another abbrevation for....well, what is it anyway?

Now try finding information about CODE on the internet^^

got a link, Braincapers?

To be honest I pilfered the quote from Amazon.com page on the new Mellencamp CD. Wikipedia has this on their 'Life, Death, Love and Freedom' page.

Life, Death, Love and Freedom will be released on July 15, 2008 and, according to the album's official press release, it will be the first ever release in the ???? (CODE) format. T-Bone Burnett and his team of engineers developed CODE, a proprietary audio technology that creates high-definition audio files that are virtually indistinguishable from the original master tapes. The CODE version of "Life, Death, Love and Freedom" is a DVD that will come packaged with a standard CD version of the album, available at all retail outlets, at no additional cost to the consumer. The CODE disc is playable on virtually all DVD machines including stand-alone players and drives integrated into computer systems. The DVD's content can be copied into most computer music software including iTunes and can, then, be downloaded onto personal music players such as the iPod.

Mellencamp commented, "When T-Bone introduced me to CODE, it was a remarkable experience. I could hear the music the way it was intended to be heard. I'm very happy the people are going to be able to share this experience in a way that's so true to our original intent."

Date: June 30, 2008 19:18

Well that's just great that a new record has the finest digital trip. What about older records? Let's hear Goats Head Soup or Beggars Banquet on some CODE records!

Posted by: olorin ()
Date: July 1, 2008 00:25

What about the Universal deal?

Sorry for my english ; I'm a french little boy (but I like it)

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: July 1, 2008 00:41

skipstone
Well that's just great that a new record has the finest digital trip. What about older records? Let's hear Goats Head Soup or Beggars Banquet on some CODE records!

I agree 100%!!!

Drew

Date: July 2, 2008 06:44

IF the Stones do not stick with Virgin/EMI for any possible future releases and take their catalog back and reissue it with someone else, I'm rather curious - who pays for the recalls? What do they do with millions of unsold records (CD and vinyl)?

U2 went with Universal, which has Island Records anyway. Seemed silly to me to worry about the technical aspects of something that is all glued together anyway. If the Stones do go with Universal, watch Klien screw it up somehow to get money from sales of every 1971-2005 album reissue anyway. Ha ha.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 2, 2008 10:09

14 days has past

Date: July 2, 2008 10:13

Maybe they're just going to go back to doing it themselves, even though they needed distribution. Nowadays distribution is Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Circuit City, the two big book stores and online (I know there are smaller places here and there but as far as national chains go, etc...).

They could certainly get away with doing it themselves. However, getting someone to pay for the production of making updated (or not) reissues of their albums might be a concern.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 2, 2008 12:44

skipstone
Maybe they're just going to go back to doing it themselves, even though they needed distribution. Nowadays distribution is Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Circuit City, the two big book stores and online (I know there are smaller places here and there but as far as national chains go, etc...).

They could certainly get away with doing it themselves. However, getting someone to pay for the production of making updated (or not) reissues of their albums might be a concern.

If there is a will there is a way. Some artists seem to be quite willing to risk their own monies in order to get product out (and/or just be more independent).People like Pete Gabriel come to mind. Not sure how long term - or sustained - these arrangements are however. However, such is the fluid nature (economics/distribution wise)of the record industry at the moment then anything is possible in the future.
Blue skies thinking required!
As the Stones combined wealth probably exceeds the GDP of many 3rd world countries the financial "risk" might not be so great. Could always sell the odd mansion if things got tough.

Date: July 3, 2008 04:23

Maybe they'll just do digital reissues only and forget any kind of hard copy.

Date: July 3, 2008 10:49

skipstone
Maybe they'll just do digital reissues only and forget any kind of hard copy.

Doubt it, they must know that are enough of us fan (suckers?) to buy new CDs especially if they are 'limited editions'remastered with bonus tracks and a nice booklet. I'd buy them!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1533
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home