Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Tokio Hotel
Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: March 8, 2010 17:54

Because of the fact that the Stones don't tour currently, I need to go to concerts of other bands, just like AC/DC, U2 and so on.
Two weeks ago, I went with some friends to the gig of Tokio Hotel at Oberhausen (Germany). I was very impressed by the strong performance and their great musical work. Since 2008, the band got more and more popular in other Europeen countries and also in Noth America.
My question to you: have you ever heared of this band (and where are you from) or have you even seen them live - perhaps because of your daughter asked you to go with her.

Re: OT: Tokio Hotel
Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: March 8, 2010 18:11

Do you really like The Rolling Stones??? Are you sure??

Date: March 8, 2010 18:12

Oh yes, I do!
12 gigs from 2003 (I was 16 then) - 2007

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: March 8, 2010 18:20

Here in Germany, they have been hyped for years. It's annoying.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: March 8, 2010 18:33

I don't care about them but obviously they must be doing something right, judging by their success.

[www.tokiohotel.com]

I wonder how many people had similar thoughts when the Rolling Stones started out.

Posted by: Rosto ()
Date: March 8, 2010 18:35

A hotel in Tokio is OK
tokiohotel for me: NO

Let it rock!

Date: March 8, 2010 19:06

open-g
[...]

I wonder how many people had similar thoughts when the Rolling Stones started out.

That's the point!
The parents' generation was disgusted by bands like the Beatles or the Stones in the 60ies and parents are disgusted by Tokio Hotel nowadays.

I can point out one important similarity between the Stones and Tokio Hotel (in the sense of 'marketing' and NOT in the sense of music): they are provoking with their appearance and therewith theay were / are polarizing.

What makes me thoughtful is the question, why people voice such a level of hatred against Tokio Hotel. I mean, if I don't like the music-style of a band - OK: I tell you that but is that a reason for detestation?
I can't see a rational reason, why people (and even young people) really hate this band...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-08 19:08 by RollingStonesFan.

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: March 8, 2010 19:26

I have never given them a serious listen as I thought they were a "teenie" band. Could you recommend a couple of their songs that would be on Youtube?

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: March 8, 2010 19:34

Rolling Stones Fan i suppose you don´t know, but they don´t write their own songs.
they have 4 producers who do that. and they also don´t play their instruments, they have various session players who do that. and then everything gets quantised and tuned.

to compare that to the rolling stones is a bit strange i find.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-08 19:37 by stoneswashed77.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: March 8, 2010 20:34

oh my god :O tokio hotel, no, never...

Posted by: zeb ()
Date: March 8, 2010 20:42

Yeah, I know who they are. My 13 years old sister like them a lot and saw them some nights ago.

I think they are better than a lot of crap that comes out now a days, but no its not my cup of tea!

Date: March 8, 2010 21:00

I'm sorry , but RS's fans do not share the same profile than these kind of groups fans'

Date: March 8, 2010 21:03

Jonas Brothers ?? Tokio Hotel?? These are nice groups for the teenage people; Hannah Montana???
Ok, we are talking about RS, it makes no sense to put in here these childhood music business oriented to teenagers

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: March 8, 2010 21:30

Tokiotel?

I´d never go to see them,
I´d never buy a record.

But at least it´s handmade music.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: March 8, 2010 21:38

their target is... um... 12-15 year-old-girls winking smiley...

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: March 8, 2010 22:10

never, never, never, never, never,!!!

Date: March 8, 2010 23:08

stoneswashed77
Rolling Stones Fan i suppose you don´t know, but they don´t write their own songs.
they have 4 producers who do that. and they also don´t play their instruments, they have various session players who do that. and then everything gets quantised and tuned.

to compare that to the rolling stones is a bit strange i find.

Yes, I know that. The artists are just Co-producers. Is written on every booklet.
But your last sentence isn't justified: I compared both bands explicitely not in a musical sense but in the way of "marketing". So please read my posts exaktly!

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: March 8, 2010 23:47

no i don´t see in your post you are talking about marketing.
you are talking about liking them live.
did you realise that they don´t play live?
and again they don´t play in the studio neither.
this is not a real band!

they are marionetts, the music, how they act, what they say, everything is staged.

this is more than just marketing.

Date: March 8, 2010 23:52

RollingStonesFan

I can point out one important similarity between the Stones and Tokio Hotel (in the sense of 'marketing' and NOT in the sense of music): they are provoking with their appearance and therewith theay were / are polarizing.

Date: March 9, 2010 00:07

stoneswashed77
no i don´t see in your post you are talking about marketing.
you are talking about liking them live.
did you realise that they don´t play live?
and again they don´t play in the studio neither.
this is not a real band!

they are marionetts, the music, how they act, what they say, everything is staged.

this is more than just marketing.

I'm no guitar-player so I'm not professional enough to judge if the guitar and the base were played live or not - my feelings say rather no.
But the singer was 100% live at Oberhausen! I've seen dozens of live-acts of different genres, from half-important local acts over third or second international league like Billy Idol, Alice Cooper... to the big acts of today like Stones, AC/DC. Because of these experiences I feel able to see if a singer sings live or not. When his moves on stage depose in spontaneous roughness in his voice I see an excuse for this point.

By the way: what is so hard to understand for some of you when young people start to visit concerts and buying CDs? Please don't counter with "this is the idea of the music-industrie" - we all have hundreds of Stones-CD's in our collections (me too!).

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 9, 2010 00:45

Help....what about my limits ?

...oh,sorry...something went wrong,errr.....

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: March 9, 2010 01:37

S H 1 T

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: March 9, 2010 02:00

what about modern talking?
;-)

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: March 9, 2010 07:59

Other than marketing and being provocative, what musically or artistically is there to appreciate?

I gave them a listen, but nothing resonated. It just seemed like I was listening to music that's very carefully crafted for a demographic that I'm definitely not. Namely, as people have said, Jonas Brothers and Hannah Montana fans, tweenagers, etc.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: March 9, 2010 11:23

It seems like that some RS Fans forget how the Hype was in in the 60ies. There is no difference from today with Tokio Hotel. I do not speak muscially. The first years the Rolling Stones did only cover old songs. Not more. So be fair.
A fan should be at least tolerant enough to respect other fans no matter what other music they are listening to.

To my knowledge Tokio HOtel is starting to write and produce their own songs. It's the only Youth Band in Europe which survived now for a couple of years and has concerts in all Europe at least. For me the Band is a mixture of Bowie/Roxy Music/Sweet/ or and what else? At least the guys created a own style and the singer (what's his name) has a good approach towards the press with his androgyn persona. Don't forget that the last time we saw that was in the early 70ies where the fans of Tokio HOtel haven't been even planned as Babies.
I respect what they doing and I would appreciate if a band either them or another will have a longer lifeline than just a day of a bumble bee.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: March 9, 2010 12:16

A "Tokio Hotel" thread on a Stones' forum? Is this a joke or what???!!!

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: March 9, 2010 21:16

come on they ain't THAT bad.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: March 9, 2010 22:11

Uh, probably, we Germans should explain to the rest of the world that Bach and Beethoven were also Germans...

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: March 11, 2010 19:11

Grison
A fan should be at least tolerant enough to respect other fans no matter what other music they are listening to.

Grison :had the circumstances been different ,I would have been totally agree with you .
I think that the word "music" makes its sense here.

My 10 years old daughter listens almost every day stuff like Hannah Montana ,David Guetta etc etc.
She was raised with classical music ,some jazz and a lot of real rock and roll.

She knows the differences between "electronic " bands and real bands -with musicians in studio-
She seems to know when a voice is "real" or a false one .

Coming back to Tokyo Hotel,I agree that >It's the only Youth Band in Europe which survived now for a couple of years and has concerts in all Europe at least<

I agree with you ,there is no need to spit on their face because ,ANYHOW,there ain't a band from "today" that can be compared to the great bands, or singers from the late 50's ,60's,70's ,80's .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: March 11, 2010 19:28

Grison

Absolutly, but what is hard to tolerate is the comparisons.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1522
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home