Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Should Jagger have stayed solo?
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 8, 2010 01:10

i have no problem with the present "lineup" per se...it worked fine until the guitar players lost their chops....and it's clear in the webster show that there's nothing boring about solid guitar playing in rock band and theirs nothing "noble" or charming about the lack of it....

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 8, 2010 01:16

Amsterdamned
Don't worry about me.
I'am sorry for you not understanding Taylor is the missing link. smoking smiley

I think even Mick Taylor wouldn´t agree with you.eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 8, 2010 01:20

shortfatfanny
Amsterdamned
Don't worry about me.
I'am sorry for you not understanding Taylor is the missing link. smoking smiley

I think even Mick Taylor wouldn´t agree with you.eye rolling smiley

Sure,but for different reasons.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 8, 2010 01:37

No.

But who knows, he may have that opportunity if he ends up being the last Stone standing.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 8, 2010 02:00

Bliss
>>we all wait anxiously with bated breath for the sequel to DOGSHIT in the doorway

I know I am. The Stones are creatively exhausted; they are literally scraping the bottom of the barrel, cobbling together 40 year old rejects to present to the public to squeeze the very last cent out of the punters. They will NEVER produce another album of new material.

DUDE! You said "never". I am just as convinced as anyone else is that they are done but I'm not convinced that they won't do another album. Certainly ain't going to bet that they will...

Bliss
But when the dust settles and the Rolling Stones have hung up their touring hats for good, Mick will rise from the ashes like a phoenix, and you will see some new solo albums and possibly (hopefully) a new tour.

You should go on Letterman.

Bliss
Keith, Ronnie and Charlie will continue to play in small clubs and continue to contribute as side musicians til they can no longer perform.

Side musicians. In general? For Mick? You have another band in mind? Or is it bands? Will it be the three of them with someone else or they will all do their own thing as sidemen?

Did something cataclysmic happen that I am unaware of or have you been drinking some severely tainted Kool-Aid?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 8, 2010 02:02

Amsterdamned
Doxa
Amsterdamned
Doxa
To be true, I find that "Wired All Night" quite horrible. Just an empty posing cliche the whole performance and the song. Mick seems to try so hard but don't seem to have any true connection to the music at all. Plastic rock. Muzak as someone said.

- Doxa

With all respect for Keith as a songwriter:compared to this band the Stones sound like a water pistol compared to this band after Taylor's departure. They even don't need an open G to sound like a tank..

Of course, this band consists of techically better - but not so personal - musicians as Jagger's "other one", but I wasn't comparing this performance (and the band) to the Stones at all but tried to judge in its own rights. The band sounds totally boring to me, and I don't even register their musical existence because they don't touch me at all - so boring they are (the muzak effect) - but what bothers me is the star of the show who sounds and looks like totally out of place. To me it looks like Mick is so full of excitement of finally having the whole show and stage in his control but turns out to be totally lost for having all this freedom. To me he ends up just repeating every cliche he knows as quick and as much as possible. That's the only way he seems to know how to use this "chance": try to be more The Rolling Stones frontman than he is even within the Stones. He tries to fill the place with his presence and strongly over-plays. And the song is boring as hell (one of the reasons I think prevents me from listening to WANDERING SPIRIT more often.)

But there are some great performances in that show (and on the record as well), I know.

- Doxa

I think Mick is the absolute leader here; in fact he's the Stones.

Keith appearance on stage is a matter of nostalgia and pose,but as a guitar player over the last 30 years he has nothing to offer. The guys in Jagger's band do what Jagger asks for:play decent, and be a mix of Jones, Taylor,and Keith, .
but better please,and don't noodle..It also proves that Taylor still is the missing link...
The Stones are a formula,only in it for the money.

I hear you, Amsterdamned, but I still refuse to compare this band to the Stones (and I never been a very big fan boy of The Cohl years Stones.) I think the problem is exactly the one you say that "the guys do what Jagger asks for" - it's all up to Mick's wishes, and he is has given them order to play like polished Stones. So sterile. But biggest problem is Mick himself: He is playing every inch of his Rolling Stones stage persona (perhaps he doesn't have any other), but without having the balance or contrast musical and otherwise charisma there, he just fills the whole space with his presence and it, after a while, turns out to be quite one-dimensional. There is no real excitement, no real dynamics. I'd love to see Mick Jagger there but all I see is the over-acting front man of The Rolling Stones without The Rolling Stones.

What, for example, Keith originally did with Winos was something we have not used him to do with the Stones. But Jagger just does exactly the same thing as with the Stones but just filling more of the space with his frontmanship. It is just not.... well... sexy enough.

I think one of the most surprising things what Jagger's 80's solo career fiasco showed us - and still to be echoed here - is that how limited the charisma of the best rock performer ever actually is in its own terms. Jagger needs strong musicians, strong charismatic personalities around himself, or next to him, to really shine. That "Wired All Night" looks like a Ovetchzkin or Crosby playing in a team with faceless second division players. Of course it is easy to shine, score like shit, but he does not play very well, really, and it is not so exciting to watch after a while...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-08 02:07 by Doxa.

Date: March 8, 2010 02:18

Nice analogy! Ha ha. It's like Gretzky with the Toronto Maple Loafs, Terry Bradshaw with the Detroit Lions, Derek Jeter with the Baltimore Orioles...ha ha ha ha!

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 8, 2010 02:59

I have the impression that some critics are not honest here. I am absolutely sure that in case Keith and Ron would play even remotely like Jimmy and the other guy in these Webster Hall clips the very same people would piss in their pants and fill this forum with endless "they are back and better than ever"-messages.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: March 8, 2010 03:21

Bliss
Keith, Ronnie and Charlie will continue to play in small clubs and continue to contribute as side musicians til they can no longer perform.

Side musicians. In general? For Mick? You have another band in mind? Or is it bands? Will it be the three of them with someone else or they will all do their own thing as sidemen?

No, Mick will have his own band, and the other three will either do their own projects, like Bill, or will do guest spots with other groups, either in the studio or on stage.

Did something cataclysmic happen that I am unaware of or have you been drinking some severely tainted Kool-Aid?

No Kool-Aid, DUDE, but I can see the writing on the wall. Luckily these posts will remain available as long as IORR continues, and perhaps afterward in the Wayback Machine, and time will tell if I am correct.

For what it's worth, it's not a bad way for them to go. Mick is energetic and in excellent health and really could go on for 5 more years. Keith and Ronnie are plagued with longstanding addictions and health problems due to longterm neglect and abuse, and their abilities have suffered. Charlie still performs very well, but is older than the others and is in remission from cancer, which could return. He has a wonderfully full life with his Arabian horses and sheepdogs and family and estate, and has indicated several times that he does not want to tour again.

The fact that no new material has appeared since ABB is an indicator that they are no longer productive. Dredging up 40 year old leftovers from Exile confirms this.

I would love it if I was proven wrong, but I accept that all things come to an end eventually.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: March 8, 2010 03:36

Doxa
So sterile. But biggest problem is Mick himself: He is playing every inch of his Rolling Stones stage persona (perhaps he doesn't have any other), but without having the balance or contrast musical and otherwise charisma there, he just fills the whole space with his presence and it, after a while, turns out to be quite one-dimensional. There is no real excitement, no real dynamics.

You nailed it, Doxa! I agree completely.

Drew

Date: March 8, 2010 03:39

Well I'll agree with you for the most part. It is astounding that they've only done one new album this decade. '011 starts a new decade so maybe we'll get one more for the '011-'020 decade (ha ha).

As far as solo work goes, I just don't see much happening - even if it does ha ha.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: March 8, 2010 03:42

Well, the lead guitarist can certainly play more notes per minute than Keith would ever want to play, but the playing lacks feeling and as someone said earlier is shallow. Also, I could not get a handle on the melody of the new songs. I cringe at the sight of those fellows butchering some of the old Stones classics, like Rip This Joint. This is not what I would expect from Jagger. I find it hard to believe that a die hard Stones fan would want to listen, much less see, this travesty called a rock concert.

Let me get off the fence and state what I really want to say. I would not walk around the block and pay 59 cents to see this load of garbage.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 8, 2010 03:52

Bliss
This is not a popular point of view, but if the public could have overcome their prejudice against Mick appearing without Keith and Charlie, I really think his solo career could have been huge.

I would say that its stating the obvious. If the public had bought enough of his records, he would have been huge. Its a bit like saying if the public hadnt have bought many Stones tickets, they would still be playing small clubs.

Unfortunately for Mick, the vision he and Walter Yetnikoff had of him being a solo superstar who outlived and grew beyond the band that created him (a la Michael Jackson) didnt quite work out because he was much better suited to being a frontman in a band, and his own realisation of this is a major factor in the Stones lasting as long as they have done.

Bliss
Mick is a workaholic, and his efforts would have been unimpeded by having to accommodate Keith and Ronnie.

Mick is far from being a workaholic. Feel free to reel me off a list of his concert appearances, recording activities and even movie work since the last Stones show two and half years ago. Note - attendance at fashion shows and film premieres don't count.

Those clips are from a pretty good album. That Webster Hall show is also very good. However, would he have been anywhere near the superstar he has been had he followed a different path and been a solo act for most or all of his career? Absolutely not.

Bliss

The Stones are creatively exhausted; they are literally scraping the bottom of the barrel, cobbling together 40 year old rejects to present to the public to squeeze the very last cent out of the punters. They will NEVER produce another album of new material.

You may be right on the last point, but I wouldnt expect much of any band after 45 odd years. '40 year old rejects' are an archives project, similar to what every other act of similar vintage have done, and its ridiculous to compare such a release to a new record.

Bliss
But when the dust settles and the Rolling Stones have hung up their touring hats for good, Mick will rise from the ashes like a phoenix, and you will see some new solo albums and possibly (hopefully) a new tour.

You're kidding right? You're aware how old he is? No one is buying his solo albums. Record sales are in the toilet in general and arent going to get any better, and if the Stones do one more tour and disband, Mick Jagger will then be in his 70s. Who the hell is going to be lining up to buy all these solo albums and concert tickets? Phoenix from the ashes? There's more chance of the dodo coming back than there is of Mick packing them in and selling lots of copies of solo work when hes in his 70s.

Bliss

'Continue' ? Aside from Charlie's recent gigs, theyve barely played a note on a concert stage when the Stones have been off the road in a decade, and their recording activities have been almost non existent.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-08 04:01 by Gazza.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: March 8, 2010 04:00

This is what Rip This joint is supposed to sound like. There is a vast difference in quality between this original version and this rip off presented by someone who does not seem to know the difference between Stones music and Muzak.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: March 8, 2010 04:38

Gazza
Bliss
This is not a popular point of view, but if the public could have overcome their prejudice against Mick appearing without Keith and Charlie, I really think his solo career could have been huge.

I would say that its stating the obvious. If the public had bought enough of his records, he would have been huge. Its a bit like saying if the public hadnt have bought many Stones tickets, they would still be playing small clubs.

>>>My opinion is that Mick wasn't given a chance. People do not want a non-Stones Mick especially if it means that this would mean the end of the Stones.

Unfortunately for Mick, the vision he and Walter Yetnikoff had of him being a solo superstar who outlived and grew beyond the band that created him (a la Michael Jackson) didnt quite work out because he was much better suited to being a frontman in a band, and his own realisation of this is a major factor in the Stones lasting as long as they have done.

Bliss
Mick is a workaholic, and his efforts would have been unimpeded by having to accommodate Keith and Ronnie.

Mick is far from being a workaholic. Feel free to reel me off a list of his concert appearances, recording activities and even movie work since the last Stones show two and half years ago. Note - attendance at fashion shows and film premieres don't count.

>>He has spent a great deal of time helping L'Wren launch her career as a fashion designer, quite beyond going to fashion shows. In a few short years, she has gone from being an absolute beginner to being considered a viable designer, with many celebrities buy and wearing her pieces to important events.

Those clips are from a pretty good album. That Webster Hall show is also very good. However, would he have been anywhere near the superstar he has been had he followed a different path and been a solo act for most or all of his career? Absolutely not.

Bliss

The Stones are creatively exhausted; they are literally scraping the bottom of the barrel, cobbling together 40 year old rejects to present to the public to squeeze the very last cent out of the punters. They will NEVER produce another album of new material.

You may be right on the last point, but I wouldnt expect much of any band after 45 odd years. '40 year old rejects' are an archives project, similar to what every other act of similar vintage have done, and its ridiculous to compare such a release to a new record.

>>>I think if they had new material they wouldn't bother with the archives. That material was considered sub-par at the time.

Bliss

You're kidding right? You're aware how old he is? No one is buying his solo albums. Record sales are in the toilet in general and arent going to get any better, and if the Stones do one more tour and disband, Mick Jagger will then be in his 70s. Who the hell is going to be lining up to buy all these solo albums and concert tickets? Phoenix from the ashes? There's more chance of the dodo coming back than there is of Mick packing them in and selling lots of copies of solo work when hes in his 70s.

>>>Well, we will see. I was prepared to make my predictions public.

Bliss

'Continue' ? Aside from Charlie's recent gigs, theyve barely played a note on a concert stage when the Stones have been off the road in a decade, and their recording activities have been almost non existent.

>>>Keith and Ronnie have been playing with other other musicians, have they not?

Date: March 8, 2010 11:24

The Webster Hall show is not gig # 96 of a lengthy tour, it is a one-off show of a one-off band created for this particular gig (plus the pretty amazing SNL performance of two songs with Dont Tear Me Up particularily outstanding).

As such and on its own, Micks backing band deserves respect for pulling such a show after only a handful of rehearsal time. Now compare this to the Phoenix night club pre-Licks tour club show which took place after weeks (!) of Stones rehearsals, weight whatever bad was said about Micks Webster Hall band against the rustiness of the Stones even after weeks of rehearsals in general and on rarely played stuff like Torn And Frayed, Hot Stuff, Stray Cat Blues and the like in particular.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-08 11:27 by alimente.

Date: March 8, 2010 11:54

flilflam
This is what Rip This joint is supposed to sound like. There is a vast difference in quality between this original version and this rip off presented by someone who does not seem to know the difference between Stones music and Muzak.

Agreed!.That's a part of the point I'am trying to make.cool smiley
The Stones after Taylor are making Muzak, with some exeptions. Jagger should have stayed solo,maybe some co-writing with Keith. Jagger's band maybe a bit impersonal,but trice better then the lame music the Stones made,repeating themselves and getting worse over the years.
A pitty Jagger and Richards went for the $$$$$..,even if they wanted to slit each others throat.

Posted by: Tantekäthe ()
Date: March 8, 2010 12:12

In a way, he has stayed solo, and not for the good IMHO.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: March 8, 2010 12:13

Bliss

They will NEVER produce another album of new material.

Wow - sounds like you have some kind of crystal ball there. Any chance you could let us know this weekend's lottery numbers as well?

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: March 8, 2010 12:23

alimente
I have the impression that some critics are not honest here. I am absolutely sure that in case Keith and Ron would play even remotely like Jimmy and the other guy in these Webster Hall clips the very same people would piss in their pants and fill this forum with endless "they are back and better than ever"-messages.

+1

and just for the record, "Wired All Night" rocks big time!

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 8, 2010 12:45

Amsterdamned
flilflam

The Stones after Taylor are making Muzak, with some exeptions. Jagger should have stayed solo,maybe some co-writing with Keith. Jagger's band maybe a bit impersonal,but trice better then the lame music the Stones made,repeating themselves and getting worse over the years.
A pitty Jagger and Richards went for the $$$$$..,even if they wanted to slit each others throat.

Oh dear,how did you sound about 40 years ago ?
What did you do,how did you move ?
What did you eat and drink ?
Reading and watching the same stuff ?
Listening to the same music ?
Knowing the same people ?
Leaving your home once in a while ?
Learning anything with more or less skill ?
Loving someone ?
Experiencing anything ?
Having a life ?

If you don´t like anything about the Stones the last 36 years and your
only interest is in establishing

The Temple Of Taylor,

have you ever asked yourself

WHAT AM I DOING HERE ?

( In case you didn´t realize...the Taylor years are my absolute favourite ones
concerning the Stones,which doesn´t mean at all to trash the time before and after...)

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: March 8, 2010 12:58

He should do his solo projects in the future. The "Brother of Sodom"-boot-series shows what a brilliant band he had (for the Australian leg of his tour in '88); Joe Satriani on guitar plays on a decent, moderate level which fits to the Stones-and Jagger-compositions. Jagger has a great talent to write more complex songs than we find on the Stones albums ("Wandering Spirit" especially, unfortunately not on "Doorway").

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: March 8, 2010 13:26

First I would like to say that Keith played brilliantly until 1999.Mick Jagger did not stay a solo artist because he could have filled arenas with audiences of maybe 6000 people, with the Stones there was more glory and more money involved. Jagger did some nice records on his own, but he is to insecure, in 2001 he tried to impress a MTV audience with songs like Visions Of Paradise, and that is pointless. He tried to become Michael Jackson in 1985, that was impossible, as Sinatra could not have become Jagger in 1965.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: March 8, 2010 13:29

Should Mick have stayed solo? Well that's like asking whether Jesus should have crucified to save our souls.... Not sure where I'm going with this.....

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 8, 2010 13:46

Calvary

ROCKMAN

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 8, 2010 14:21

The musicians of Jagger's solo projects always were highly competent: high profile session men and occasionally even international superstar guitar heroes (satriani, jeff beck).

As a result his solo bands have alwasy been tight and technical. As a friend of mine always points out, Jagger's solo tour in Australia is the best example of how the stones could sound if they could play!

That said, they never gave more than a professional contribution. And I think you can hear it quite clearly. Great grooves, flashy solos, lots of show off (I am sure that they all had a good time), but nothing truly memorable. Nothing that characterized that particular project and was never to be repeated. Not a solo, not a lick, not a riff that could not suit any other then current rock act.

Note that there is nothing bad at all in this kind of approach. You can make good rock and roll music even without writing memorable riffs a la JJF or playing MTs Love in Vain solos every time.

But also the opposite is true: music is not about scales and flashy chops. Those who dismiss the band for how it has performed in the last 20 years just don't get it. On a good night the stones could play (and still can play) like very few others can. Even with the ocacsional bum notes and all.

C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-08 14:23 by liddas.

Date: March 8, 2010 15:19

shortfatfanny
Amsterdamned
flilflam

Oh dear,how did you sound about 40 years ago ?
What did you do,how did you move ?
What did you eat and drink ?
Reading and watching the same stuff ?
Listening to the same music ?
Knowing the same people ?
Leaving your home once in a while ?
Learning anything with more or less skill ?
Loving someone ?
Experiencing anything ?
Having a life ?

If you don´t like anything about the Stones the last 36 years and your
only interest is in establishing

The Temple Of Taylor,

have you ever asked yourself

WHAT AM I DOING HERE ?

( In case you didn´t realize...the Taylor years are my absolute favourite ones
concerning the Stones,which doesn´t mean at all to trash the time before and after...)

A lot of questions theresmiling smiley

Yes, I have a lovely girlfriend.
I'am living in Amsterdam,a lovely city.
I visit lots of concerts, Path Mhetheny last week. John MC Laughlin in Luxemburg next month.Allan Holdsworth in a few weeks. Bospop in July to see Jeff Beck.
I am perfectly aware of contemporary music and what's going on.
I teach people how to play the guitar,and you have to love them,otherwise forget it.I'am playing 2 times a week myself.

All I want to do is starting an interesting discussion, and I respect every one's opinion,as long as people don't insult each other.It makes people emotional I hope.
I just don't understand what people like about the Post Taylor period compared to Jaggers band.A matter of taste?Read Bill Perks comments on this,Taylors comments when he joined,read quotes of Jeff Beck and Ry Cooder;you might get a bit more worldwise..
I make a musical point.And I visit this site cause I loved the Stones '63-76 and maybe there are some nice novelties.winking smiley
I hope you understand what I'am doing here now?
I hope I satisfied your curiosity.Xxx

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 8, 2010 15:43

But Amsterdamned, why defending yourself? I love the Stones'music from the very beginning until Taylor left. Since then I like their music, sometimes more, sometimes less. But I don't love or like any other band, so there's only the Stones. And Randy Newman of course, but he's no band. And some others, none of them in a band. But again, you belong on this forum and you don't have to explain that. I would miss you terribly if you weren't here! You know, I love my wife, but I also 'love' you if you know what I mean. I simply think you're a nice guy. And, eh, how about your Dutch? Do you understand and speak it a bit with a nice little English accent? That would be great!

BTW: Where's Behroez? Often I didn't agree with him, but I liked his posts and I think he's a nice guy too. Behroez, come on, let's have a look at you!

Date: March 8, 2010 16:04

liddas
But also the opposite is true: music is not about scales and flashy chops. Those who dismiss the band for how it has performed in the last 20 years just don't get it. On a good night the stones could play (and still can play) like very few others can. Even with the ocacsional bum notes and all.

Of course, music is not about scales and flashy chops. And, by the way, I was not talking about Jaggers tour band in 1987/88, the topic was the one-off band for the Webster Hall gig and SNL TV appearance. Besides that, hearing Jimmys guitar work on the Wandering Spirit album I dont have the impression that I am listening to a technically perfect, but otherwise feeling- and emotionless session player.

The topic is also not "some occassional bum notes". Believe me, I care a shit about bum notes if the playing in general touches my soul.

I simply dont get that people dismiss Jaggers Webster Hall backing band for an alleged lack of spontaneity and true rock'n'roll feeling and at the same time applaud to the Stones increasingly lacklustre und unimaginative attempts to recreate the sound of the original records on stage with the ever-increasing help of an armada of backing musicians.

People find excuses when the Stones dont sound convincing while premiering a song like Sway live on stage - "oh, not great but remember, they played it for the first time on stage". The find more excuses when the Stones dont get Sway right during the tsecond, third, fourth or whatever appearance in the set list. And dismiss Jaggers one-off band if they dont nail Rip This Joint in their first and only public show just like the Stones did in 1972 during their heyday.

Bum notes? No, thats not the point. But trying to get away with the same Berry lick in each and every solo during a 90 minute plus-set like Keith is a different thing altogether.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-08 16:11 by alimente.

Date: March 8, 2010 16:05

Well Kleermaker, if someone asks me some personal questions with a cynical undertone,I answer as human as possible. btw Behroez might be on holiday ?

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1562
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home