Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Should Jagger have stayed solo?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 7, 2010 20:18

I think so looking this one:

Re: Should Jagger have stayed solo?
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 7, 2010 20:21

Yes, then we would not have gotten Streets Of Love, Rain Falls Down and...oh wait. Nevermind.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: March 7, 2010 20:21

you are joking right?

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 7, 2010 20:23

He looks SO much younger!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 7, 2010 20:40

Who is in his band?

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: March 7, 2010 20:53

jamesfdouglas
He looks SO much younger!

he also was youngergrinning smiley

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: March 7, 2010 21:13

Great song, but without the rest of the Stones onstage he looks and sounds totally @#$%& ridiculous. IMHO.

Drew

Posted by: Deluxtone ()
Date: March 7, 2010 21:19

Banal, generic, yank-rock - Sorry.
Very 2-dimensional. 'Flashy' guitars. Pretty trite, cliched lyrics. Shallow.

Much preferred some of his live '88 tour stuff.
Was never too impressed by Wandering Spirit album. Too much Lenny 'Muzak' Kravitz influence too.
(Am aware most here think it's his best)

For me STB was where he was boldest and did his most interesting arrangements/compositions - best and most diverse musical line-up too.

Posted by: rrronnie ()
Date: March 7, 2010 21:40

The Webster Hall show was brilliant. Mick was and the band really rocked. I wish Keith and Ronnie could play like Jimmy Rip and the other fellow.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 7, 2010 21:43

Jagger needs the Stones and they need him, so no!

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: March 7, 2010 22:13

This is not a popular point of view, but if the public could have overcome their prejudice against Mick appearing without Keith and Charlie, I really think his solo career could have been huge.

Mick is a workaholic, and his efforts would have been unimpeded by having to accommodate Keith and Ronnie.

Date: March 7, 2010 22:16

Bliss
I really think his solo career could have been huge.

Mick is a workaholic, and his efforts would have been unimpeded by having to accommodate Keith and Ronnie.

See the second post.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: March 7, 2010 22:21

without the stones micks fortune would only be a fraction of what it is, case closed

Date: March 7, 2010 22:25

Ohhhh yeah - there is that point too. Ha ha.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: March 7, 2010 22:26

Wandering Spirit is Jagger's best solo album. The first two suck. The last is underrated, sure, but isn't Wandering Spirit. So, the answer is a resounding "NO" from me.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: March 7, 2010 22:26

Really enjoyed this though. It does however expose just how brilliant Charlie actually is (as if we didn't know).

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: March 7, 2010 22:38

Roll73
Really enjoyed this though. It does however expose just how brilliant Charlie actually is (as if we didn't know).

cool version, but also a hot candidate for worst jagger outfit ever....

Date: March 7, 2010 22:42

Full of energy..
The last guitar solo sounds like Taylor..he would even have done better cool smiley :

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 7, 2010 23:12

To be true, I find that "Wired All Night" quite horrible. Just an empty posing cliche the whole performance and the song. Mick seems to try so hard but don't seem to have any true connection to the music at all. Plastic rock. Muzak as someone said.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-07 23:13 by Doxa.

Posted by: Deluxtone ()
Date: March 7, 2010 23:20

Oh good, I'm not a lone 'someone' spouting in the etherverse!

I like your "to be true". The expression is 'to be honest' - but your 'to be true' is both true and honest!

We are pulling on the same oar here Doxa.

Date: March 7, 2010 23:25

Doxa
To be true, I find that "Wired All Night" quite horrible. Just an empty posing cliche the whole performance and the song. Mick seems to try so hard but don't seem to have any true connection to the music at all. Plastic rock. Muzak as someone said.

- Doxa

With all respect for Keith as a songwriter:compared to this band the Stones sound like a water pistol compared to this band after Taylor's departure. They even don't need an open G to sound like a tank..

Date: March 7, 2010 23:32

Today's Stones also sound pretty tame compared to the Winos.
I don't think that Jagger solo is particularly good; I do however think that today's Stones are pretty lousy, and it might just be a bit uplifting to see Jagger in front of a vaguely competent, if boring guitar band.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 7, 2010 23:37

we all wait anxiously with bated breath for the sequel to dogshit in the doorway now that's its foul smell has abated somewhat...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 8, 2010 00:10

Amsterdamned
Doxa

- Doxa

With all respect for Keith as a songwriter:compared to this band the Stones sound like a water pistol compared to this band after Taylor's departure. They even don't need an open G to sound like a tank..

Of course, this band consists of techically better - but not so personal - musicians as Jagger's "other one", but I wasn't comparing this performance (and the band) to the Stones at all but tried to judge in its own rights. The band sounds totally boring to me, and I don't even register their musical existence because they don't touch me at all - so boring they are (the muzak effect) - but what bothers me is the star of the show who sounds and looks like totally out of place. To me it looks like Mick is so full of excitement of finally having the whole show and stage in his control but turns out to be totally lost for having all this freedom. To me he ends up just repeating every cliche he knows as quick and as much as possible. That's the only way he seems to know how to use this "chance": try to be more The Rolling Stones frontman than he is even within the Stones. He tries to fill the place with his presence and strongly over-plays. And the song is boring as hell (one of the reasons I think prevents me from listening to WANDERING SPIRIT more often.)

But there are some great performances in that show (and on the record as well), I know.

- Doxa

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: March 8, 2010 00:27

>>we all wait anxiously with bated breath for the sequel to GODDESS in the doorway

I know I am. The Stones are creatively exhausted; they are literally scraping the bottom of the barrel, cobbling together 40 year old rejects to present to the public to squeeze the very last cent out of the punters. They will NEVER produce another album of new material.

But when the dust settles and the Rolling Stones have hung up their touring hats for good, Mick will rise from the ashes like a phoenix, and you will see some new solo albums and possibly (hopefully) a new tour.

Keith, Ronnie and Charlie will continue to play in small clubs and continue to contribute as side musicians til they can no longer perform.

Date: March 8, 2010 00:28

Doxa
Amsterdamned
Doxa

- Doxa

Of course, this band consists of techically better - but not so personal - musicians as Jagger's "other one", but I wasn't comparing this performance (and the band) to the Stones at all but tried to judge in its own rights. The band sounds totally boring to me, and I don't even register their musical existence because they don't touch me at all - so boring they are (the muzak effect) - but what bothers me is the star of the show who sounds and looks like totally out of place. To me it looks like Mick is so full of excitement of finally having the whole show and stage in his control but turns out to be totally lost for having all this freedom. To me he ends up just repeating every cliche he knows as quick and as much as possible. That's the only way he seems to know how to use this "chance": try to be more The Rolling Stones frontman than he is even within the Stones. He tries to fill the place with his presence and strongly over-plays. And the song is boring as hell (one of the reasons I think prevents me from listening to WANDERING SPIRIT more often.)

But there are some great performances in that show (and on the record as well), I know.

- Doxa

I think Mick is the absolute leader here; in fact he's the Stones.

Keith appearance on stage is a matter of nostalgia and pose,but as a guitar player over the last 30 years he has nothing to offer. The guys in Jagger's band do what Jagger asks for:play decent, and be a mix of Jones, Taylor,and Keith, .
but better please,and don't noodle..It also proves that Taylor still is the missing link...
The Stones are a formula,only in it for the money.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 8, 2010 00:39

Amsterdamned
Doxa
Amsterdamned
Doxa

- Doxa

- Doxa

I think Mick is the absolute leader here; in fact he's the Stones.

Keith appearance on stage is a matter of nostalgia and pose,but as a guitar player over the last 30 years he has nothing to offer. The guys in Jagger's band do what Jagger asks for:play decent, and be a mix of Jones, Taylor,and Keith, .
but better please,and don't noodle..It also proves that Taylor still is the missing link...

i'm generally in your camp on this....i think doxa has it backwards

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-08 00:43 by StonesTod.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: March 8, 2010 00:42

I'm with Doxa all the way!

and saying Mick should have stayed solo or Keith haven't played anything in last 30 years is pathetic.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 8, 2010 00:56

Amsterdamned

You can´t blame the Stones for your undestandable but nevertheless nostalgic wish
for Taylor being the missing link...

Questionable because pure speculation how things would have developed...

I´m sorry for you disliking the present formula for more than 30 years now.

Date: March 8, 2010 01:07

Don't worry about me.
I'am sorry for you not understanding Taylor is the missing link. smoking smiley

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1483
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home