Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Should Jagger have stayed solo?
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 8, 2010 16:49

Amsterdamned
Well Kleermaker, if someone asks me some personal questions with a cynical undertone,I answer as human as possible. btw Behroez might be on holiday ?

And, Amsterdamned, if someone asks you a personal question without a cynical undertone, will you then also answer as human as possible? I mean, my question about your Dutch of course! I'm just curious, simply humanwinking smiley.

Living in a lovely city with a lovely girlfriend. A., you are a blessed human beingsmiling smiley.

You called me human once, and I found that a great compliment. Well, you are human too.

I hope Behroez is on holiday and will be back here when he's back home.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 8, 2010 16:50

alimente
Bum notes? No, thats not the point. But trying to get away with the same Berry lick in each and every solo during a 90 minute plus-set like Keith is a different thing altogether.

Probably I didn't make my point clear enough.

My point is that all Jagger's bands, including the Webster Hall one, to my ears remain only ensembles of great musicians. They play exceptionally well, but, like most supergroups, they lack something. Not emotion, of course. It's only that something that makes great bands what they are.

As for the stones, very simply, I consider them to still be a great band. One of the greatests!

C

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 8, 2010 17:18

kleermaker
Amsterdamned
Well Kleermaker, if someone asks me some personal questions with a cynical undertone,I answer as human as possible. btw Behroez might be on holiday ?

And, Amsterdamned, if someone asks you a personal question without a cynical undertone, will you then also answer as human as possible? I mean, my question about your Dutch of course! I'm just curious, simply humanwinking smiley.

Living in a lovely city with a lovely girlfriend. A., you are a blessed human beingsmiling smiley.

You called me human once, and I found that a great compliment. Well, you are human too.

I hope Behroez is on holiday and will be back here when he's back home.

Sorry, I'm Dutch,but never seem to learn decent Dutch or English..

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 8, 2010 17:41

alimente
liddas
But also the opposite is true: music is not about scales and flashy chops. Those who dismiss the band for how it has performed in the last 20 years just don't get it. On a good night the stones could play (and still can play) like very few others can. Even with the ocacsional bum notes and all.

Of course, music is not about scales and flashy chops. And, by the way, I was not talking about Jaggers tour band in 1987/88, the topic was the one-off band for the Webster Hall gig and SNL TV appearance. Besides that, hearing Jimmys guitar work on the Wandering Spirit album I dont have the impression that I am listening to a technically perfect, but otherwise feeling- and emotionless session player.

The topic is also not "some occassional bum notes". Believe me, I care a shit about bum notes if the playing in general touches my soul.

I simply dont get that people dismiss Jaggers Webster Hall backing band for an alleged lack of spontaneity and true rock'n'roll feeling and at the same time applaud to the Stones increasingly lacklustre und unimaginative attempts to recreate the sound of the original records on stage with the ever-increasing help of an armada of backing musicians.

People find excuses when the Stones dont sound convincing while premiering a song like Sway live on stage - "oh, not great but remember, they played it for the first time on stage". The find more excuses when the Stones dont get Sway right during the tsecond, third, fourth or whatever appearance in the set list. And dismiss Jaggers one-off band if they dont nail Rip This Joint in their first and only public show just like the Stones did in 1972 during their heyday.

Bum notes? No, thats not the point. But trying to get away with the same Berry lick in each and every solo during a 90 minute plus-set like Keith is a different thing altogether.

well-stated post! bum notes if we're lucky - or no notes at all at times. i'm so tired of folks making excuses for the stones these past 20 or so years. keith's repetoire has been reduced down to a handful of notes and figures that are played ad naseum. he hasn't learned a new lick in 3 decades and has either forgotten most of his old ones or just simply cannot play them anymore. as for ronnie, i'll give him credit for looking for new ways of expressing himself in more recent years, but at times the results have been either just puzzling or downright frightening. let's put it this way, if he were auditioning for a job with the chops he's displayed on recent tours, he'd not be professionally employed as a guitarist; that's pretty safe to say.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: March 8, 2010 17:45

Jagger solo won't even fill the Royal Albert Hall - and he can forget about the O2 and the MSG.
His collection of solo albums hasn't even sold 100.000 copies if we add up all the sales. Solo he's a "next to nobody" - with the Stones - he's larger than life.

Should he have stayed solo? That's the easiest question anyone's ever asked here.
Yes - if he wanted to go bankrupt - financially and artistically.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 8, 2010 18:11

Bliss
Gazza
Bliss
This is not a popular point of view, but if the public could have overcome their prejudice against Mick appearing without Keith and Charlie, I really think his solo career could have been huge.

I would say that its stating the obvious. If the public had bought enough of his records, he would have been huge. Its a bit like saying if the public hadnt have bought many Stones tickets, they would still be playing small clubs.

>>>My opinion is that Mick wasn't given a chance. People do not want a non-Stones Mick especially if it means that this would mean the end of the Stones.

You're talking as if Stones fans boycotted those records, which is nonsense. They didnt buy them for the same reason that they dont buy Wyman's solo records or Charlie Watts' solo records. The sort of music didnt appeal to them. When solo work by other band members doesnt sell, do people complain that it 'isnt given a chance'? The issue of a Mick solo record meaning the end of the Stones hasnt been relevant for over two decades. Jagger has never toured as a solo act in the Stones two biggest markets, US and Europe. That speaks volumes for how he views the appeal of his solo work and also explains why it doesn't sell.

Unfortunately for Mick, the vision he and Walter Yetnikoff had of him being a solo superstar who outlived and grew beyond the band that created him (a la Michael Jackson) didnt quite work out because he was much better suited to being a frontman in a band, and his own realisation of this is a major factor in the Stones lasting as long as they have done.

Bliss
Mick is a workaholic, and his efforts would have been unimpeded by having to accommodate Keith and Ronnie.

Mick is far from being a workaholic. Feel free to reel me off a list of his concert appearances, recording activities and even movie work since the last Stones show two and half years ago. Note - attendance at fashion shows and film premieres don't count.

>>He has spent a great deal of time helping L'Wren launch her career as a fashion designer, quite beyond going to fashion shows. In a few short years, she has gone from being an absolute beginner to being considered a viable designer, with many celebrities buy and wearing her pieces to important events.
;'

And that's being a 'workaholic', is it? This is a forum of rock n roll fans and you're justifying the man's creative output in recent years by explaining that... he helps (without saying what 'help' this is) his girlfriend become a more prominently known fashion designer. Why should we be impressed at this and what has it got to do with his music?

Those clips are from a pretty good album. That Webster Hall show is also very good. However, would he have been anywhere near the superstar he has been had he followed a different path and been a solo act for most or all of his career? Absolutely not.

Bliss

The Stones are creatively exhausted; they are literally scraping the bottom of the barrel, cobbling together 40 year old rejects to present to the public to squeeze the very last cent out of the punters. They will NEVER produce another album of new material.

You may be right on the last point, but I wouldnt expect much of any band after 45 odd years. '40 year old rejects' are an archives project, similar to what every other act of similar vintage have done, and its ridiculous to compare such a release to a new record.

>>>I think if they had new material they wouldn't bother with the archives. That material was considered sub-par at the time.

All archive material was considered subpar at the time. Other acts can release archive material and also make new music. The Stones are coming to the end of their career. Would you suggest they leave these sort of projects for another few years, by which time no one will care?

Bliss
But when the dust settles and the Rolling Stones have hung up their touring hats for good, Mick will rise from the ashes like a phoenix, and you will see some new solo albums and possibly (hopefully) a new tour.

You're kidding right? You're aware how old he is? No one is buying his solo albums. Record sales are in the toilet in general and arent going to get any better, and if the Stones do one more tour and disband, Mick Jagger will then be in his 70s. Who the hell is going to be lining up to buy all these solo albums and concert tickets? Phoenix from the ashes? There's more chance of the dodo coming back than there is of Mick packing them in and selling lots of copies of solo work when hes in his 70s.

>>>Well, we will see. I was prepared to make my predictions public.

Bliss

Keith, Ronnie and Charlie will continue to play in small clubs and continue to contribute as side musicians til they can no longer perform.

'Continue' ? Aside from Charlie's recent gigs, theyve barely played a note on a concert stage when the Stones have been off the road in a decade, and their recording activities have been almost non existent.

>>>Keith and Ronnie have been playing with other other musicians, have they not?

In Ronnie's case, maybe about 3 or 4 guest appearances a year, comprising a song or two. In Keith's case, nope - when the Stones have been inactive in the last decade or so, his extra curricular activity has been negligible. Jagger has, I think, sang in public on one occasion since the last Stones show in August 2007.

Live music isnt exactly taking up much of their time in recent years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-08 18:13 by Gazza.

Date: March 8, 2010 18:17

my my my. gazza is getting frighteningly close to joining us whiners on the dark side. he's got all the right stuff, now he just needs to hold his nose, close his eyes and jump in with both feet.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 8, 2010 18:39

Well, Bliss is off in...the meds must be really working.

Date: March 8, 2010 18:44

T&A
alimente
liddas
But also the opposite is true: music is not about scales and flashy chops. Those who dismiss the band for how it has performed in the last 20 years just don't get it. On a good night the stones could play (and still can play) like very few others can. Even with the ocacsional bum notes and all.

Of course, music is not about scales and flashy chops. And, by the way, I was not talking about Jaggers tour band in 1987/88, the topic was the one-off band for the Webster Hall gig and SNL TV appearance. Besides that, hearing Jimmys guitar work on the Wandering Spirit album I dont have the impression that I am listening to a technically perfect, but otherwise feeling- and emotionless session player.

The topic is also not "some occassional bum notes". Believe me, I care a shit about bum notes if the playing in general touches my soul.

I simply dont get that people dismiss Jaggers Webster Hall backing band for an alleged lack of spontaneity and true rock'n'roll feeling and at the same time applaud to the Stones increasingly lacklustre und unimaginative attempts to recreate the sound of the original records on stage with the ever-increasing help of an armada of backing musicians.

People find excuses when the Stones dont sound convincing while premiering a song like Sway live on stage - "oh, not great but remember, they played it for the first time on stage". The find more excuses when the Stones dont get Sway right during the tsecond, third, fourth or whatever appearance in the set list. And dismiss Jaggers one-off band if they dont nail Rip This Joint in their first and only public show just like the Stones did in 1972 during their heyday.

well-stated post! bum notes if we're lucky - or no notes at all at times. i'm so tired of folks making excuses for the stones these past 20 or so years. keith's repetoire has been reduced down to a handful of notes and figures that are played ad naseum. he hasn't learned a new lick in 3 decades and has either forgotten most of his old ones or just simply cannot play them anymore. as for ronnie, i'll give him credit for looking for new ways of expressing himself in more recent years, but at times the results have been either just puzzling or downright frightening. let's put it this way, if he were auditioning for a job with the chops he's displayed on recent tours, he'd not be professionally employed as a guitarist; that's pretty safe to say.

Fact is I am making no excuses for anybody. It might even be a problem I will have to take care of, but I am convinced that the band has done some great music in the past 20 years. You and others don't like it? I live happy all the same. It is confirmed by many studies on human brains that we are not the same when we come to appreciate music. You hear the same lick played ad nauseam? I hear plenty more!

C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-08 18:45 by liddas.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 8, 2010 18:46

Man Dr Gazza picked apart that post from Bliss with surgical precision.eye popping smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 8, 2010 18:48

"You hear the same lick played ad nauseam? I hear plenty more!"

That's called Alzheimer Light.
Just joking.smiling smiley

Date: March 8, 2010 18:51

liddas
T&A
alimente
liddas

Fact is I am making no excuses for anybody. It might even be a problem I will have to take care of, but I am convinced that the band has done some great music in the past 20 years. You and others don't like it? I live happy all the same. It is confirmed by many studies on human brains that we are not the same when we come to appreciate music. You hear the same lick played ad nauseam? I hear plenty more!

C

you indicated those who don't agree with you just "don't get it." i disagree. there's been some entertainment value they've offered in the last couple of decades, but the stones that I (and others) "got" so very well for a very long time have long-since departed, at least as a musical enterprise and functional/working band.

Date: March 8, 2010 19:04

It is entertaining. But nothing to brag about.

Date: March 8, 2010 19:07

T&A
my my my. gazza is getting frighteningly close to joining us whiners on the dark side. he's got all the right stuff, now he just needs to hold his nose, close his eyes and jump in with both feet.

Not really saying anything I havent been saying for years. The Stones are a nostalgia act and little else, and this has been the case throughout the last decade - just pointing out that the suggestion that Mick could have a successful solo career in this day and age is fanciful.

Date: March 8, 2010 19:25

T&A:

I didn't want to be offensive with the "you don't get it". You don't see anything more than some kind of entertainment value in what the stones have done in the past 20 years: I do. That's it. We could go on and on for ages, you won't convince me, and I won't convince you.

C

Date: March 8, 2010 19:25

Gazza
T&A

Not really saying anything I havent been saying for years. The Stones are a nostalgia act and little else, and this has been the case throughout the last decade - just pointing out that the suggestion that Mick could have a successful solo career in this day and age is fanciful.

yeah, ok. i guess. but you're not a card-carrying member of the official whiners club...probably not willing to pay your dues or something.....

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: March 8, 2010 20:18

Addicted

His collection of solo albums hasn't even sold 100.000 copies if we add up all the sales.

really?
She´s the boss alone sold twice as much as Talk is cheap.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: March 8, 2010 21:38

Surely Goddess in the Doorway answers the question.
To clarify, the answer is a huge "No".

Date: March 8, 2010 21:56

liddas
T&A:

I didn't want to be offensive with the "you don't get it". You don't see anything more than some kind of entertainment value in what the stones have done in the past 20 years: I do. That's it. We could go on and on for ages, you won't convince me, and I won't convince you.

C

no offense taken - just a difference of opinion - and i'm not trying to sway you or anyone else. i hold my convictions and opinions strongly, as does everyone else, i presume....

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 8, 2010 22:16

T&A
liddas
T&A:

C

no offense taken - just a difference of opinion - and i'm not trying to sway you or anyone else. i hold my convictions and opinions strongly, as does everyone else, i presume....
I tend to hold my acquittal's more strongly than my convictions....But that's just me.eye rolling smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: March 8, 2010 22:54

T&A
Gazza
T&A

yeah, ok. i guess. but you're not a card-carrying member of the official whiners club...probably not willing to pay your dues or something.....

..only because the prices are too high

Date: March 8, 2010 22:56

Gazza
T&A
Gazza
T&A

all new members are guarateed a hat and dvd and access to the best seats at the next whiners' convention

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: March 8, 2010 23:03

Don't forget the complimentary Rolling Stones Red Whine

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: March 8, 2010 23:05

>>Man Dr Gazza picked apart that post from Bliss with surgical precision.

I don't think he has gotten my point, so I will try one last time.

For what it's worth, I think Mick is stellar, and is equal or better than Elvis, Michael Jackson, almost anyone you could name. He has an absolutely unique voice and delivery.

As has been pointed out here many, many times, because the Stones are so enduring, they are a vital part of many people's youth, the time in their life when they were at their best and happiest. So people are very reluctant to ever let them evolve and change, because if they did, a part of their past would be gone. I'm no different. There are probably a hundred guitarists who are better than Mick Taylor is now, and who would be a better addition to the Stones; I don't care. I just want Mick Taylor in the Stones again, like he was when I was young.

That is why, in my opinion, Mick's solo career didn't succeed. People just could not accept him outside of the Stones, no matter how good he was.

>>All archive material was considered subpar at the time. Other acts can release archive material and also make new music. The Stones are coming to the end of their career. Would you suggest they leave these sort of projects for another few years, by which time no one will care?

I'm listening to some outtakes from the past...Good Time Women, Blood Red Wine, Claudine, etc. I still think this is just a desperate cynical means of squeezing money out of the fans; it's sub-par material. I don't think releasing it now will enhance their legacy.

If my predictions are shown to be wrong, I will publicly acknowledge that. We don't have to wait all that long to see what unfolds.

Date: March 8, 2010 23:06

T&A
Gazza
T&A

I don't know that so called "official whiners club", but of course "The Stones are a nostalgia act and little else", even a 'bit' longer than the last decade. It's just a matter of realism, not of whining. Some words from PIB come to mind:
"Maybe then I'll fade away and not have to face the facts". Well, face the facts. We're talking about the past here, mainly. We have that Exile thing, but even that relates to the past. Maybe the 'whiners' are realists and the 'anti-whiners' utopists and dreamers. Nothing wrong with that.

Date: March 8, 2010 23:22

kleermaker
T&A
Gazza
T&A

I don't know that so called "official whiners club", but of course "The Stones are a nostalgia act and little else", even a 'bit' longer than the last decade. It's just a matter of realism, not of whining. Some words from PIB come to mind:
"Maybe then I'll fade away and not have to face the facts". Well, face the facts. We're talking about the past here, mainly. We have that Exile thing, but even that relates to the past. Maybe the 'whiners' are realists and the 'anti-whiners' utopists and dreamers. Nothing wrong with that.

nope. nothing wrong with a rich, lively debate with as many perspectives and opinions as we can muster. that's what makes this place fun...as long as it doesn't get personal, which sometimes it devolves into, especially for those cheerleader types who can't separate criticisms of the band from personal affronts to their fandom....

Date: March 8, 2010 23:57

Bliss
I don't think he has gotten my point, so I will try one last time.

For what it's worth, I think Mick is stellar, and is equal or better than Elvis, Michael Jackson, almost anyone you could name. He has an absolutely unique voice and delivery....in my opinion, Mick's solo career didn't succeed. People just could not accept him outside of the Stones, no matter how good he was.

If my predictions are shown to be wrong, I will publicly acknowledge that. We don't have to wait all that long to see what unfolds.

But you said that hopefully Mick will do another solo album and a tour. And that Keith, Charlie and Ronnie will "continue" as side men when they have not ever been side men in their solo careers that I am aware of.

There won't be an 'if' from the looks of things for any more solo albums from Mick hopefully. There's obviously some refusal to accept reality - and then you flip flop about that anyway. Mick's solo career was just that, nothing else. It was The Rolling Stones singer doing solo albums, not Mick Jagger doing albums. He had some good songs but overall, in the big picture, nobody gave a shit because it wasn't GOOD. His solo career was accepted - as not working. It was accepted - as not having anything that was going to work at a level he was used to with that band he's in.

At least Keith had the decency to form a new BAND. And whether She's The Boss outsold Talk Is Cheap - somewhere someone mentioned McDonald's selling more hamburgers than anyone else and does that make them the best at making hamburgers. Where Talk Is Cheap could be considered the real deal, She's The Boss is McDonald's. A shitty sounding record outsold a great sounding record. There you go. Nothing's changed. Look at what hit music is today - nothing but shit.

In case you didn't notice, there actually is a Jagger best of. It's probably safe to think that that means his solo career is done. It should.

Whatever you do, please don't make up one your minds up too quick - this is starting to get funny and entertaining.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: March 9, 2010 00:17

>>>There won't be an 'if' from the looks of things for any more solo albums from Mick hopefully. There's obviously some refusal to accept reality - and then you flip flop about that anyway. Mick's solo career was just that, nothing else. It was The Rolling Stones singer doing solo albums, not Mick Jagger doing albums. He had some good songs but overall, in the big picture, nobody gave a shit because it wasn't GOOD. His solo career was accepted - as not working. It was accepted - as not having anything that was going to work at a level he was used to with that band he's in.

At least Keith had the decency to form a new BAND. And whether She's The Boss outsold Talk Is Cheap - somewhere someone mentioned McDonald's selling more hamburgers than anyone else and does that make them the best at making hamburgers. Where Talk Is Cheap could be considered the real deal, She's The Boss is McDonald's. A shitty sounding record outsold a great sounding record. There you go. Nothing's changed. Look at what hit music is today - nothing but shit.

In case you didn't notice, there actually is a Jagger best of. It's probably safe to think that that means his solo career is done. It should.

You are entitled to your OPINIONS moody smiley

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: March 9, 2010 00:17

IMO mick wanted to become a superstar on his own and wanted to rid himself of the stones to satisfy his own ego, and if his solo career really took off he would have been gone, only after his two albums failed very badly did he want the stones back together, its no coincidence

Date: March 9, 2010 00:19

Gazza
T&A
Gazza
T&A

Prices too high..

Well, there seems to be an alternate whiners club. Membership for free. There's even a third whiners club: members are whiners about the whiners. Don't know of the prices.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1426
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home