Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Got LIVE if you want it!
Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: February 27, 2010 21:08

DaveG

However, I have always love this album for the sheer energy, the screaming, the rawness of the songs. I think it captured the essence of a Stones performance back in the day. I have it in CD and never tire of listening to it.

Couldn't have said it better , my thoughts exactly .

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: February 28, 2010 13:17

Tate
This was my first Stones record at an early age, so it has sentimental value to me. I like the performances of the songs, but I agree with mitch about the listenability. It really is hard to enjoy, with the horrible edits and primitive overdubs. I do wish we could hear those performances for what they were, minus the screams and dubs... Particularly Lady Jane, which was really sweet sounding (even with Charlie crushing the tom-toms and cymbals throughout).

lots of sentimental value to me too...from when i was 14...and unaware of overdubs...that explains a lot.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 28, 2010 13:55

The got live album is all the more frustrating when you've heard how great they played during the 1966 UK tour!

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: February 28, 2010 15:05

On second thought, I think Got Live is probably an accurate rendition of the Rolling Stones live concerts during this period. Mick frequently commented on how the screaming was so loud , it really didn't matter about the quality of the musicianship. Brian used to play Popeye the Sailorman during some of the concerts, because no one could tell the difference anyway.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-28 15:10 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: February 28, 2010 15:12

Just get the EP, with the couple of extra songs that have surfaced since (see above), and you're good to go...

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 28, 2010 15:59

Come On
mitchflorida
I was a huge Stones fan when "Got Live If You Want It" was released in America. And what a disappointment. It was the first time I thought, wow, the Rolling Stones are really only in it for the money.

A sampling of their most recent work proves that I was right.

I bought this album as a germanreleased Decca double-album around 1970, and it probably had 24 songs on it. The album I was listened to yesterday was a CD and of course it sounded horrible, it's live-rocknroll with the 1966s technique. What other good-sounding live-albums do you have from this year. Look at Beatles Live in Italy-album, it sounds even worser...

The Beatles Live In Italy, or live anywhere that isn't the Hollywood Bowl, is a bootleg. A good sounding live album from 1966? Bob Dylan at RAH?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 28, 2010 17:06

Here's one thing to start with:

10th December: THE ROLLING STONES.
LP 'Got Live If You Want It' (London PS 493). Producer: Andrew Oldham.
Sound engineer: Glyn Johns.
A: - Band introduction by Long John Baldry
- Under My Thumb (MJ/KR) -Newcastle 1.10.66 (original)
- Get Off Of My Cloud (MJ/KR) -Newcastle 1.10.66 (original)
- Lady Jane (MJ/KR) -Bristol 7.10.66 (remixed)
- Not Fade Away (Petty/Hardin) -Bristol 7.10.66 (original)
- I've Been Loving You Too Long II (Otis Redding/Jerry Butler) -outtake
(see 650511B ), with live backing overdubbed
- Fortune Teller II (Allen Toussaint) -outtake (see 630818A) with live
backing overdubbed
B: - Satisfaction/The Last Time (MJ/KR) -Newcastle 1.10.66 (original)
- 19th Nervous Breakdown (MJ/KR) -Newcastle 1.10.66 (remixed)
- Time Is On My Side (Jerry Ragavoy) -Bristol 7.10.66 (original)
- I'm Alright (Ellas McDaniel) -Bristol 7.10.66 (remixed)
- Have You Seen Your Mother,... (MJ/KR) -Bristol 7.10.66 (remixed)
- Satisfaction (MJ/KR) -Bristol 7.10.66 (probably remixed)
Note: Remixed and overdubbed by MJ (voc) and KR (bvoc, gtr). Also
there’s probably a piano-overdub by STU on 'Satisfaction'. Overdubs
were done at IBC Studios, London, in mid-October.
The remastered 'Got Live If You Want It'-CD of Abkco (released 1986)
includes a different version of 'Under My Thumb' and the complete
band introduction.

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: February 28, 2010 17:26

skipstone
Here's one thing to start with:

10th December: THE ROLLING STONES.
LP 'Got Live If You Want It' (London PS 493). Producer: Andrew Oldham.
Sound engineer: Glyn Johns.
A: - Band introduction by Long John Baldry
- Under My Thumb (MJ/KR) -Newcastle 1.10.66 (original)
- Get Off Of My Cloud (MJ/KR) -Newcastle 1.10.66 (original)
- Lady Jane (MJ/KR) -Bristol 7.10.66 (remixed)
- Not Fade Away (Petty/Hardin) -Bristol 7.10.66 (original)
- I've Been Loving You Too Long II (Otis Redding/Jerry Butler) -outtake
(see 650511B ), with live backing overdubbed
- Fortune Teller II (Allen Toussaint) -outtake (see 630818A) with live
backing overdubbed
B: - Satisfaction/The Last Time (MJ/KR) -Newcastle 1.10.66 (original)
- 19th Nervous Breakdown (MJ/KR) -Newcastle 1.10.66 (remixed)
- Time Is On My Side (Jerry Ragavoy) -Bristol 7.10.66 (original)
- I'm Alright (Ellas McDaniel) -Bristol 7.10.66 (remixed)
- Have You Seen Your Mother,... (MJ/KR) -Bristol 7.10.66 (remixed)
- Satisfaction (MJ/KR) -Bristol 7.10.66 (probably remixed)
Note: Remixed and overdubbed by MJ (voc) and KR (bvoc, gtr). Also
there’s probably a piano-overdub by STU on 'Satisfaction'. Overdubs
were done at IBC Studios, London, in mid-October.
The remastered 'Got Live If You Want It'-CD of Abkco (released 1986)
includes a different version of 'Under My Thumb' and the complete
band introduction.

Time is On My Side and I'm Allright are definitely not from Bristol 1966, but from their march 5-18 1965 British Tour!

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: February 28, 2010 17:30

I wonder, is the only good thing about the remastered Abkco release the complete band introduction?

Date: February 28, 2010 17:46

The album notes claim that the concert was recorded at the Royal Albert Hall. Was that also a lie?

The funny thing is the only good part of the original release was the way some breathless American DJ introduced the group:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, It's all about to happen! Let's hear it for the fantastic Rolling Stones!"

And now I see they removed that intro for another bogus intro where they actually go to the trouble of introducing the group by name to the fans. Yuck.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-28 18:02 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 28, 2010 17:50

As a whole Got LIVE if you want it! svcks is not good there are some great tunes .........i.e. I've Been Loving You Too Long
It was better if they took a complete original show from ´66 with some minor overdubbs

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: February 28, 2010 18:00

NICOS
As a whole Got LIVE if you want it! svcks is not good there are some great tunes .........i.e. I've Been Loving You Too Long
It was better if they took a complete original show from ´66 with some minor overdubbs

I guess that in 1966/67 the world was not ready for a rough & ready live album, at least the record companies thought so. The thing is that by doctoring with the original raw recordings they made it worser, not better.

The 1965 Got Live EP showed how the LP should have been done. However, despite being hailed now as a masterpiece, it would be interesting to read original reviews from the time of its release. Those might give a clue why the Stones felt that those 1966 recordings needed some studio overdubs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-28 18:01 by alimente.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 28, 2010 18:18

mitchflorida
The album notes claim that the concert was recorded at the Royal Albert Hall. Was that also a lie?

The funny thing is the only good part of the original release was the way some breathless American DJ introduced the group:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, It's all about to happen! Let's hear it for the fantastic Rolling Stones!"

And now I see they removed that intro for another bogus intro where they actually go to the trouble of introducing the group by name to the fans. Yuck.

The RAH show was abandoned after 20 minutes due to a riot. I'm sure you've seen the footage. The MC at the show and on the record was in fact Long John Baldry, who was most definitely English.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 28, 2010 18:35

I think your right alimente, it didn´t slips my mind that back then it was something special................a live album........ think they were the first that released one didn´t they

Date: February 28, 2010 19:26

I love Got Live. Big deal about the screams. That was then. James brown did it - that might be where they got the idea about the screams. It has got to be listened to in Mono though.
Worse yet than the GLIYWI LP is Side 2 of the album called "Gimme Shelter". This was the second LP of the Stones I ever heard. I had no idea what was what; and of course thought it was all live, and that they played the songs just like that with those quick edits. I think it goes straight into "Time is on my side" from "Thumb" on GS. Then "Lady Jane", "Fortune teller", "Been Loving You Too Long" and "Satisfaction" if I remember right. Once I got the Got Live album, the pacing actually felt slowed down! to me.

Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: February 28, 2010 22:49

OFF TOPIC - Has anyone here listened to The Who's "I'm the Face," which they recorded while they were known as the High Numbers? That has the same melody as "Got Love If You Want It" but with new lyrics by Pete Meaden, the High Numbers' manager who was fired shortly after the band reverted its name back to the Who.

~Ben

Date: February 28, 2010 23:10

Five Live Yardbirds -- Got Love If You Want it!

[bit.ly]

That was a pretty decent live album from the same period.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-28 23:15 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: February 28, 2010 23:32

GLIYWI is the only Stones LP I didnt buy when it first came out on CD

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 1, 2010 00:15

mitchflorida

Yes.

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: March 1, 2010 08:27

i guess the gliywi album runs too fast ?

when i had the vinyl i do my own tape(c 60) only left or right mixed to mono..

not included ,ive been loving you & fortune teller

Posted by: doobie1 ()
Date: March 1, 2010 13:56

Thanks a lot for sharing it thumbs up

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: March 1, 2010 18:43

Bought it when first released, loved it !!!
Still do

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: March 1, 2010 20:37

I have to agree with Mitchflorida .The recording of The Yardbirds is ace,Pity no body thought of recording The Stones at The Railway Hotel.That would be the Dogs Bollox.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: March 2, 2010 00:35

gmanp
Bought it when first released, loved it !!!
Still do

me too. was real young teenie and went straight for this exictement...still love it...i mean it really documents a whole lot of electricity and banggg. adore this LP...tech warts and all bla bla...it's a gem imo.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 2, 2010 09:10

Any other people here finds it amusing to collect Live-albums from the seventies? On vinyl?
I'll do! grinning smiley This habit has grown with age for me I guess cause I hateded all this thousand of rubbish Live Double-albums that was released then. Theres one shining exception: Love You Live.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: March 2, 2010 09:40

Back to GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT. I always thought it was the worst LP album of the Stones because of the bad overdubs and the horrible mix. I could nver really listen to it with pleasure, and even though sound quality the live recording from Paris 1965 is not the best I prefer it very much over the official live album.

In the late 1970s I was looking desperately for the GOT LIVE... EP because it was very hard to get. After a very long time we got some re-pressings from England. It is really a great record, but although I think that it represents as nearest as you can get a 1960s Stones concert situation I doubt if it was actually recorded live. The question is why they released such a great EP from the 1965 tour and such a bad LP from 1966.

In his book about the Stones Roy Carr also says that because of the great sound quality of the 'live' recordings 'the doubt creeps in'. Anyway the recordings are great. I wish they released the other recordings. 'Down the road apiece' is available on bootlegs.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: March 2, 2010 12:13

I bought the Decca album Gimme Shelter on vinyl in the 1980s as a young fan and was also initially disappointed but grew to like the live B side. I also got GLIYWI on vinyl which I liked. I know it's a patchwork of edits and the sound is muddy but I like the muddiness and the general vibe.

However what I don't like is the remastered CD version of GLIYWI. This to me is unlistenable, there's a freadful digital graininess to the sound, kind of like digital clipping. There are also some weird stereo reverb effects added in places (no wonder some people prefer it in mono!)

I got rid of all my vinyl but now wish I hadn't, as I'd like to get a copy of the vinyl GLIYWI again. I realise a released Stones album can't be posted - but has anyone happened to have made MP3s of the vinyl GLIYWI? And would be willing to email them to me?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-02 12:33 by WeLoveYou.

Posted by: MissNBrian ()
Date: March 3, 2010 10:40

WeLoveYou
I bought the Decca album Gimme Shelter on vinyl in the 1980s as a young fan and was also initially disappointed but grew to like the live B side. I also got GLIYWI on vinyl which I liked. I know it's a patchwork of edits and the sound is muddy but I like the muddiness and the general vibe.

However what I don't like is the remastered CD version of GLIYWI. This to me is unlistenable, there's a freadful digital graininess to the sound, kind of like digital clipping. There are also some weird stereo reverb effects added in places (no wonder some people prefer it in mono!)

I got rid of all my vinyl but now wish I hadn't, as I'd like to get a copy of the vinyl GLIYWI again. I realise a released Stones album can't be posted - but has anyone happened to have made MP3s of the vinyl GLIYWI? And would be willing to email them to me?

And could they email me too?? (specially if it's the mono vinyl version) grinning smiley
thanx!!

Only vinyl I still have of this is that 'electronically reproduced' stereo crap...which (IMO) sucked worse to me than the 86 version of the cd...only problem I really had with the CD was they butchered Satisfaction...
----------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor please, some more men please,
To Cotchford Farm, out by the pool...

What a drag it is they couldn't revive him"

Brian Jones 2/28/42 - 7/2/69

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: June 18, 2010 15:47

Bump.....

I've been scouring the internet for a file upload of the vinyl version of GLIYWI with no luck.

Anyone know where I can get this? confused smiley

Also interested in the vinyl Gimmer Shelter (Decca)

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: June 18, 2010 19:19

re: '66 LP GLIYWI
Did they make any improvements to it with the 2002 SACD/Stereo hybrid remasters?

IORR............but I like it!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2263
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home