Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Mick Jagger and Tiger Woods: Double Standard?
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 22, 2010 15:22

Was this the first public airing of infidelities?

Here is where all of England troubles started. Henry VIII

Catherine of Aragon (16 December 1485 – 7 January 1536; Spanish: Catalina de Aragón) was Henry's first wife. After the death of Arthur, her first husband and Henry's brother, a papal dispensation was obtained to enable her to marry Henry, though the marriage did not take place until after he came to the throne in 1509. Catherine bore him a daughter in 1516, Mary I, but no sons survived past infancy due to miscarriages and stillbirths.

Henry, at the time a Roman Catholic, sought the Pope's approval for an annulment on the grounds that his marriage was invalid because Catherine had first been his brother's wife. Henry had begun an affair with Anne Boleyn, who is said to have refused to become his mistress (Henry had already consummated an affair with and then dismissed Anne's sister, Mary Boleyn, and Anne wanted to avoid the same treatment). Despite the pope's refusal, Henry separated from Catherine in 1531. In the face of the Pope's continuing refusal to annul his marriage to Catherine, Henry ordered the highest church official in England, Thomas Cranmer, Archbishop of Canterbury to convene a court to rule on the status of his marriage to Catherine. On 23 May 1533 Cranmer ruled the marriage to Catherine null and void. On 28 May 1533 he pronounced the King legally married to Anne Boleyn (with whom Henry had already secretly exchanged wedding vows, probably in late January 1533). This led to the break from the Roman Catholic Church and the later establishment of the Church of England.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 22, 2010 18:51

Man it all started with Adam and Eve. If dude didn't bite that apple....

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: boogie1969 ()
Date: February 22, 2010 20:40

stoneswashed77
no double standard, both can do whatever they want!

sleeping with more than one girl is not wrong or cheating, that´s normal sexual behaviour if you like it or not.

if it wasn´t normal than explain how all these mega stars and all these normal people who have affairs or all the cathouses who make lot´s of money every day could be so wroooonggggg.

i feel very sorry for the ones who dislike mick jagger for his sex life.

it´s not you or the church who made this world. you have just being brainwashed.

First off, I don't dislike Mick Jagger for his sex life, I dislike him for the way he has treated people over the years, whether it's in his personal or professional life. He, like anyone, has the right to lay as much pipe as he cares to, and if he is not in a committed relationship, or if he is but his partner doesn't care, then I have no problem with anything he does in that respect. But when he is in a committed relationship and his partner does care about his actions, and especially if children are involved, then I do have a problem with it. I'm sure Jerry is no saint, and yes he did pay a heavy financial price in the end, but what he did to her was wrong, plain and simple. The fact that she was dumb enough to fall for it for so long is beside the point in my opinion. It comes down to a basic moral tenet, you either think cheating is acceptable, or you don't. I personally don't think it's ok, and do not particularly care for people who do it.

Second, I don't need you or anyone on here feeling sorry for me for any reason, so f-uck off with that comment, and for criticizing me for having a desire that people treat their partners with a basic moral respect.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: February 22, 2010 21:04

I have to agree that Mick treated Jerry abominably. Highlights include his 8 year affair with Carla Bruni, whom he joined in Thailand just hours after his child was born, and the terrible way he denied he and Jerry were married, so she got a relatively tiny settlement, due to a legal technicality.

But what goes around comes around. He was married to Bianca when he got involved with Jerry. She had no reason to expect him to treat her any differently.

The same thing applies to Jo Wood. Ronnie was married with two children and Jo helped destroy that family. Now it has happened to her. But hopefully she will not come to such a sad end as Krissy Wood, who committed suicide and died in poverty.

On the other hand, Keith has treated Anita extremely well. He supports her financially, although this may be an agreement based on her not publishing any details of their relationship. And she is included in his family circle to a great extent, so she is not marginalised at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-22 21:06 by Bliss.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 22, 2010 21:24

souldoggie
"In fact, I wish someone could teach me how to be more successful with women"

Follow these steps:

be a rock star
make a lot of money

rinse and repeat

Making a lot of money is key, by the way. Nothings changed for 5,000 years and nothing ever will. You can hold your breath and stomp on the ground all you want, it will never change.

Tiger is the best golfer the world has ever seen. Jagger is the best rock star the world has ever seen.
Rock stars get a pass. As they should. They write things like Sympathy For The Devil or Brown Sugar and golfers, on say a par 4, stick their second shot one foot from the pin.
Rock stars get a pass.
Based on the threads around here lately, we need a tour or a record.
tiger is not the best .check the record book who holds the record for the most major championships -ansewr JACK NICKLAUS (18 majors ,to tigers 14) a true champion on and off the course .tiger is a joke !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: February 22, 2010 21:38

First of all, most of you seem to be missing the whole point of the TW story...It's all about the money, and the endorsement deals he has/had, and whether or not they are going to stick by him...Don't be naive, do you think anyone other than his wife REALLY gives a crap about his sex life??

Secondly, as far as MJ is concerned, you'd have to be a complete idiot to marry him, and expect a life of domestic bliss, and fidelity...When he screws a model, there are no endorsement deals that get hurt by that...

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: February 22, 2010 22:30

i don´t know every detail of the relationship to jerry but i think he really loved her, otherwise he wouldn´t have stayed with her that long and maybe come together with carla bruni or someone else. and i believe he was also often very good to her. furthermore i am sure there was some kind of arrangement between him and jerry regarding having affairs.

i mean what can you do when you love a girl, wanna have kids with her but there are still like a million other girls you want to have sex with.

does that mean you don´t love your wife and your kids??
that´s not cheating, cheating would be being in LOVE with someone else.

or as a model marry a guy you don´t like for the money, that´s cheating too.

Lying about your feelings is cheating, which guys usually have no reason to do, they just leave the girl they don´t want anymore.

to not want to give her half of everything after it´s over is natural and not bad behaviour. why the hell is she asking for that much, is that really her money? that´s bad behaviour from her side that mick had to fight back as good as he could.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: February 22, 2010 23:22

boogie 1969-you say you "don't like mick for the way he has treated people over the years in his personal or professional life"" and use words like "basic moral tenet"you are kidding right? these women knew exactly what they were getting,a trade off.you marry and/or have children with mick you are set for life.
his ex's live lives you could only dream of and his children are trust fund babies who will never work a day unless they want to.

in his vocation,how many people have had their careers made or become mega-rich because of micks singing,songwriting,performing skills and business sense.it must be nice for his bandmates to buy houses in the islands,race horses,mansions etc and still get stoned and not pay attention to money because jagger covers the bases.mick plays in the big leagues by his own set of rules,i would imagine he stopped giving a shyt what people think long ago.

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: February 22, 2010 23:33

Bliss
I have to agree that Mick treated Jerry abominably. Highlights include his 8 year affair with Carla Bruni, whom he joined in Thailand just hours after his child was born, and the terrible way he denied he and Jerry were married, so she got a relatively tiny settlement, due to a legal technicality.

But what goes around comes around. He was married to Bianca when he got involved with Jerry. She had no reason to expect him to treat her any differently.

On the other hand, Keith has treated Anita extremely well. He supports her financially, although this may be an agreement based on her not publishing any details of their relationship. And she is included in his family circle to a great extent, so she is not marginalised at all.[/quot

Mick did not deny, that he was married, he was not married. Jerry filed for divorce, but you can´t get divorced when you are not married. Somebody explained that here some weeks ago. Jerry got exactly, what she was entitled to, and that was a lot.

One word to Keith, he was no saint either. Both, Anita and Keith had their affairs.

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: February 23, 2010 05:33

"you marry and/or have children with mick you are set for life."

Hey lem, ever hear of Marsha Hunt? Sad to say, you don't have any idea what you're talking about...

"when Karis was born, in 1970, Jagger refused even to acknowledge paternity, much less play any part in his daughter's life. He only recognised Karis as his daughter more than a decade later, and then only after a bitter court battle by Marsha."

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: February 23, 2010 06:03

don't care which celebrity @#$%& whomever in whatever manner...non-news...that's just my personal life preferences...it can be fun and etc...as a fan i totally understand, but it seems like much ado about nothing much...
i will say tho as to stones themselves...i'm more impressed with the ethics and manner of charlie's (reputed) gentlemanly relationship w his wife.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: February 23, 2010 06:14

>>Mick did not deny, that he was married, he was not married. Jerry filed for divorce, but you can´t get divorced when you are not married. Somebody explained that here some weeks ago. Jerry got exactly, what she was entitled to, and that was a lot

They were together for 24 years, and had 4 children together. They had a formal marriage ceremony which Jerry believed was legal. He paid her a tiny fraction of his net worth.

And as has been mentioned above, Marsha Hunt had to go to court to get Mick to pay maintenance for his daughter. He didn't have any contact with Karis til she was 12 years old.

But from all accounts, Mick is an excellent and caring father. Hopefully he has evolved from his past contemptible behaviour toward the mothers of his children.

Date: February 23, 2010 06:32

Funny how everybody says it's nobody's business but their own. Nobody cares about that stuff. No right minded person would ever discuss the personal life of celebrities. I mean of coourse on this board we would never talk about Ron Wood's personal life right? It's his own business. .....and the reason that the tabloid newspapers and tv stations and websites excist is because nobody should talk about stars personal lives right?

Posted by: ajc68 ()
Date: February 23, 2010 09:19

Golf is known as a gentleman's game, while RnR is for the bad boys. That doesn't mean there aren't golfers that live rock star lifestyles, it's just a different perception to live up to publicly, rather than feeling obligated to trash a hotel room or throw a TV of a balcony. Simply put, bad behavior is expected in RnR and frowned upon in golf. Furthermore, Woods marketed himself as a good-guy and made hundreds of millions doing so. Then he turned out to be a fraud, as this wasn't just a slip up. Mick has never claimed to be a saint and one wouldn't expect him to be one anyway as the lead singer of the RS. John Daley, on-the-other-hand, is/was the bad boy of golf, but he never marketed himself as the all-American good-guy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-23 09:21 by ajc68.

Date: February 23, 2010 10:37

Thank God there is still a difference between golf and rock'n'roll smoking smiley

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: February 23, 2010 11:29

Bliss

The same thing applies to Jo Wood. Ronnie was married with two children and Jo helped destroy that family. Now it has happened to her. But hopefully she will not come to such a sad end as Krissy Wood, who committed suicide and died in poverty.

On the other hand, Keith has treated Anita extremely well. He supports her financially, although this may be an agreement based on her not publishing any details of their relationship. And she is included in his family circle to a great extent, so she is not marginalised at all.

We have no idea to what extent Mick did or did not deceive Jerry. She knew he was married to Bianca when she took up with him, so she is no innocent. From what I have read of Mick's views expressed in interviews and what the 'early' women - Marianne and Marsha for eg - have reported, he has always been clear that he does not subscribe to sexual fidelity and doesn't expect his women to either. As for denying the marriage - it wasn't a marriage, so what was he supposed to do? Jerry claims to have a MENSA level IQ and at the same time would have us believe she actually thought prancing around on a beach in Asia with flowers round their necks, sacrificing a few pigeons was going to be recognised as a legal marriage in the UK? Come on.

Date: February 23, 2010 11:32

Bliss
>>Mick did not deny, that he was married, he was not married. Jerry filed for divorce, but you can´t get divorced when you are not married. Somebody explained that here some weeks ago. Jerry got exactly, what she was entitled to, and that was a lot

They were together for 24 years, and had 4 children together. They had a formal marriage ceremony which Jerry believed was legal. He paid her a tiny fraction of his net worth.

And as has been mentioned above, Marsha Hunt had to go to court to get Mick to pay maintenance for his daughter. He didn't have any contact with Karis til she was 12 years old.

But from all accounts, Mick is an excellent and caring father. Hopefully he has evolved from his past contemptible behaviour toward the mothers of his children.

For my own part, I regard his refusal to acknowledge Karis publicly for so long as his worst failing by far. However, if you read even Marsha's accounts of the affair he had contact with her throughout her childhood, as did Bianca and Jade, despite the public denials.

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: February 23, 2010 12:07

Did he really ever publicly deny, that she is his daughter? Why else did he have contact to her if he denied that he was her father? And why would he give Marsha 150 000 dollar in the early 70ies, if he thaught that he was not her father?

Date: February 23, 2010 12:08

And why would he write Fool To Cry...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-23 12:10 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: February 23, 2010 12:15

elunsi
Did he really ever publicly deny, that she is his daughter? Why else did he have contact to her if he denied that he was her father? And why would he give Marsha 150 000 dollar in the early 70ies, if he thaught that he was not her father?

He certainly contested the affiliation proceedings (the method whereby maintenance for illegitimate children was obtained in the UK back then) and my understanding is that included denial of paternity - then much harder to prove because DNA testing was not available. Marsha has maintained in her books - and there are plenty of photos to prove it - that he and Bianca regularly saw Karis, notwithstanding his stance in the legal proceedings. Mick, of course, and perhaps to his credit, has remained tight-lipped about the whole affair.

Posted by: AngieBlue ()
Date: February 23, 2010 14:26

I don't know if it is so much of a double standard as it is a combination of the fact that there seemed to be a cover up in the Tiger Woods story and as many have pointed out Mick has never pretended to be a saint.

What did Nixon get in trouble for? Stealing campaign secrets from the other side? Haha, like that hasn't happened before or since. No, it was the lies, tapes and cover up. Same reason Clinton was so vilified for a time - the lies. Couple the lies with 24 hour a day news channels, an entire network devoted to celeb news, at least half a dozen syndicated celeb 'news' shows that are all looking to fill air time and get ratings...and Tiger stepped right in it. Right before the holidays, slow news cycle and girls willing to talk.

He would have been better off the night of the accident putting out a public statement that he and his wife had a fight because he was caught with another woman. I did it, I'm sorry. The American public would have been more forgiving.

Frankly, I think the guy got a raw deal. He's far from the first man who became rich and famous at a young age that has fallen flat on his face in public. He won't be the last one either.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 23, 2010 14:44

sweetcharmedlife
Funny how everybody says it's nobody's business but their own. Nobody cares about that stuff. No right minded person would ever discuss the personal life of celebrities. I mean of coourse on this board we would never talk about Ron Wood's personal life right? It's his own business. .....and the reason that the tabloid newspapers and tv stations and websites excist is because nobody should talk about stars personal lives right?

Talking about it is fair game as its in the public domain and being a Stones forum, its of reasonable interest to some degree - especially if the chaos resulting from it impacts on his personal life to the extent where it affects his ability to function as a band member.

That aspect aside, yep it's his own business - unfortunately the way this farce has been conducted in public makes it hard to avoid.

I dont think anyone in their right mind is suggesting or expecting him to stage press conferences or do TV interviews 'apologising'for his 'mistakes', though.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 23, 2010 15:09

Gazza
Talking about it is fair game as its in the public domain and being a Stones forum, its of reasonable interest to some degree - especially if the chaos resulting from it impacts on his personal life to the extent where it affects his ability to function as a band member.

That aspect aside, yep it's his own business - unfortunately the way this farce has been conducted in public makes it hard to avoid.

Totally agreed. Here and there I've said something about Ron Wood, but always music-related, never about his personal life(style) or his painting. The same goes for the other (ex) Stones-members. Likewise I never understood the remarks re Taylor's 'fatness'. Musically totally irrelevant, I think.

But when you're also interested in the psyche, the personalities and life(style) of the different Stones-members an sich, then you really HAVE something here to talk about.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 23, 2010 16:23

DandelionPowderman
Thank God there is still a difference between golf and rock'n'roll smoking smiley

Exactly! grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: February 23, 2010 16:58

Actually quite a few rock stars play golf. Alice Cooper being among the most notable. He said it was because of working at night and having time to kill during the day.

Date: February 23, 2010 17:00

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Exactly! grinning smiley

- Doxa

LOL! Those golf pics are classics smileys with beer

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 23, 2010 17:42

sweetcharmedlife
Actually quite a few rock stars play golf. Alice Cooper being among the most notable. He said it was because of working at night and having time to kill during the day.

Bob Dylan and Iggy Pop too!

Posted by: loveyoulive75 ()
Date: February 23, 2010 20:33

The bottom line, for me as a consumer, I suppose, is this: does the celebrity's personal life have an adverse effect on their professional performance? I am only interested in their personal lives in so far as, if I'm shelling out the bucks to see these people do their thing, I expect to see them in top form, and not suffering the after effects of a night's debauchery. Beyond that, I couldn't care less.

Does, or did, Jagger's philandering have an adverse effect on his singing, how he performs his art or puts on a show? Not really.

Did Tiger's philandering, etc have an adverse effect on how he played golf? IIRC he was pretty much at the top of his game for the duration of his career, no matter whom he was shtupping on the side.

The fact is, people like to see celebrities f--k up and fall from grace. We get off on it, and can't shut up about it afterwards. There's a lot to be said for schadenfruede, for good or ill...

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: February 23, 2010 20:39

......the only comparison btwn the 2 is that they both took corporate money........one is a schill and a hypocrite pretending to be the perfect family man, the perfect golfer, the perfect champion that you should aspire too.... Mick never tried to sell us anything other than a record and a ticket to a show...and up until a few yrs ago..the best show ever...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 23, 2010 20:58

Bloody hell, it would be nice to see Keith so concentrated on guitar playing than he does on golfing in that picture! grinning smiley

- Doxa

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 824
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home