Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Buying Jagger solo?
Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: February 18, 2010 09:04

I'm in need of some new tunes to listen to, and i'm considering branching out into Jagger's solo career. I've never knowingly listened to any of Jagger's solo work, but would like some advice on it. Which albums should I pick up first, or do I go with the 'Best Of' compilation?

Re: Buying Jagger solo?
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 18, 2010 09:12

WANDERING SPIRIT! The best Stones album that should have been. Really the best Stones solo disc period! very strong with a wide variety of styles, and Jagger is on fire with his playing and singing. And wonderfully produced by Rick Rubin. He brought out the best in Jagger, challenged him and did not fall into the syncophantic worship that seems to encourage their forays into mediocre. Great release. Also if you can find the boot of Jagger with the Red Devils. Great blues! Definitely worth searching for on a torrent site.

Date: February 18, 2010 09:42

Thanks Whitem8. I'm sold.

Date: February 18, 2010 09:49

If Jagger had a great album up his sleeve, what was the hold up in the Stones recording it? It's funny that the break between Dirty Work and the comeback Steel Wheels was shorter than the break until Voodoo Lounge.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: February 18, 2010 11:13

Wandering Spirit will blow you away. Amazing album.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: February 18, 2010 14:20

wandering spirit is great but sounds a bit dated to me now.

i also like goddess in the doorway. make sure you get "blue" from the "god gave me everything ep."

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 18, 2010 14:25

yep Wandering & Goddess are the best.
Some of his 80's stuff is pretty good also...but as a compilation only.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 18, 2010 14:26

I might be the only one here, but I truly think that She's the Boss is still the best of the lot. After that, even if I will never admit it in public, Alfie ...

C

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 18, 2010 14:44

liddas
I might be the only one here, but I truly think that She's the Boss is still the best of the lot. After that, even if I will never admit it in public, Alfie ...

C

yeah i admit i have this album and play it more regularly than ABB !

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 18, 2010 14:44

It depends on what one is expecting from a Mick Jagger album. I would say that if the criteria is how familiar the stuff is with the Stones stuff the order is, starting from the most 'conservative Stones-like album and ending as far as one can get from that (some might call it going on the schele of great->shit):

WANDERING SPIRIT -> SHE'S THE BOSS -> GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY -> PRIMITIVE COOL

So if one wants to be a real Jagger exentric, one knows which one to pick up!tongue sticking out smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: February 18, 2010 14:45

i also like alfie!!

Posted by: kingkirby ()
Date: February 18, 2010 14:52

Thanks whitem8 - you answered the question I just asked on another thread!

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: February 18, 2010 15:37

Wandering and Goddes and as mentioned above make sure you get Blue which is my favorite Jagger tune!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: February 18, 2010 15:41

Wandering Spirits is my favorite.It rocks !
it's like if Jagger returned to his blues roots.

Posted by: R ()
Date: February 18, 2010 15:48

studiorambo
Which albums should I pick up first, or do I go with the 'Best Of' compilation?

Simply start at "J" (or "R") in the used bin.

Date: February 18, 2010 17:45

If one wants to dig deeper there is also a super bootleg of Jagger, Jeff Beck and I can't rememeber who else rehearsing 4/5 songs. I am sure someone else can help me with the details of the set, but this is defintley one of my fav Jagger solo recording.

C

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 18, 2010 17:56

I like most of Mick's solo stuff.

Even the much-trashed Primitive Cool has some good songs (Throwaway, Kow Tow, etc. & especially, Say You Will).

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 18, 2010 17:59

Elmo Lewis
I like most of Mick's solo stuff.

Even the much-trashed Primitive Cool has some good songs (Throwaway, Kow Tow, etc. & especially, Say You Will).

(Don't say to anyone but PC is actually me favourite Jagger solo album...)

- Doxa

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 18, 2010 18:06

My Jagger solo album ratings, 10 being the highest, 1 the lowest:

SHE'S THE BOSS - 1.5 With exception to Lucky In Love and Secrets this album is awful. Just Another Night is good but maybe too Miami Vice with all the fake drum sounds.

PRIMITIVE COOL - 3 Even though Throwaway is that it still works somehow. It's tuneful. At the same time it's too 80s with that awful @#$%& Jeff Beck guitar and the terrible keyboards. Kow Tow and Peace For The Wicked are the best tracks on the album. The title track stinks as does Party Doll. It would possibly get an even higher rating if it didn't have the stupendously awful Let's Work on it and Catch As Catch Can instead!

WANDERING SPIRIT - 10 Some great originals and some fantastic covers with no cheese production or sounds on it. If you were to only have one Jagger album it should be this one.

GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY - 5 Some good songs on this album, some being the key word. God Gave Me Everything has hints of Ruthless People in it that is interesting although I doubt that was Mick's intention. Lucky Day is a cool tune. Too Far Gone should have been at the front of the album because it's way too good to be at the back (sounds like a Wandering Spirit leftover too). Don't Call Me Up is nice but a bit too gentle or pretty maybe - his singing is too affected. Visions Of Paradise is interesting. But the overall production of this album is a bit too 'modern' with all the samplings and the dance oriented tunes like Dancing In The Starlight, Everybody Getting High, Gun, the title track and the bland Hideaway just sound like Mick is trying to be too Miami for rock'n'roll tastes. But I guess that's part of the point of Mick not doing a Stones album. One of the best songs he's ever done he left off the album, Blue, which is astounding because it sounds like it could have been a Wandering Spirit leftover as well.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 18, 2010 18:09

Wandering is by far the best.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 18, 2010 18:16

I like them all...Now i don't play them a lot....For that matter i don't play Keith's stuff either...
If you are tight with the money get She's the Boss and Wandering s....But for me I really like Primitive Cool the best...It has to have the worst album cover of any album...ha..

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 18, 2010 18:31

liddas
If one wants to dig deeper there is also a super bootleg of Jagger, Jeff Beck and I can't rememeber who else rehearsing 4/5 songs. I am sure someone else can help me with the details of the set, but this is defintley one of my fav Jagger solo recording.

C

it's got an interesting, updated version of the old 70's stones outtake, Gangster's Moll....

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: February 18, 2010 18:42

Without a doubt, invest in Wandering Spirit and make sure you download the song Blue.

Ya won't be disappointed!

Date: February 18, 2010 18:51

T&A
liddas

C

it's got an interesting, updated version of the old 70's stones outtake, Gangster's Moll....

That's it!

Do you have other details of that date?

C

Date: February 18, 2010 19:02

stoneswashed77
i also like alfie!!

I agree. For me this soundtrack is my favourite official Mick Jagger album. Of course nothing compares to his 1992 LA session with The Red Devils. That is Micheal Philip at his best.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 18, 2010 19:06

liddas
T&A
liddas

C

That's it!

Do you have other details of that date?

C

a very short boot - just 3 trax, but in very good sound quality:

Jamming The Blues
Danger Up Ahead
Gangster's Moll

Posted by: rusty ()
Date: February 18, 2010 22:00

I like Primitive Cool more as Some Girls ore Tatoo You.
for me it's Mick's best Album.

Date: February 20, 2010 00:13

This has been great discussion fellas.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: February 20, 2010 04:49

Wandering Spirit, Best of (for stuff that's not on others) She's The Boss (very 80s), Goddess.

Primitive Cool is one of the most disappointing albums I have ever heard. It's one of the worst albums I actually own. I have never once been able to play it all the way through.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 20, 2010 20:19

She's the Boss - Just Another Night is the only song I really like from this album. I wouldn't spend full price to get it. You're better off watching the songs done in 'Running Out Of Luck', the film where he's basically a cartoon of himself. Worth a few laughs for sure! I rented this when I was in college, we toked and joked about its riduculousness for months!

Primitive Cool - Hilarious cover; a chalk drawing of Mick with Yoda ears! One of the most unintentionally funny pieces of work from any Stone. The laughs don't get better with age though, and as much of a Mick fan as I am, this album blows. If there is a perfect example of a classic rock artist sucking beyond reason, Primitive Cool is it.

Wandering Spirit - Get it. It`s the best post-Tattoo You album Mick is on, solo or Stones. Considering in 1993 when the last Stones album was the so-so (and admittedly weak, safe, and serioulsy lacking in cool factor) Steel Wheels, this album sprung up out of nowhere and gave me really, really high hopes for the next Stones Record.

Goddess in the Doorway - In my opinion, not nearly as bad as Primitive Cool, but nowhere near as good as Wandering Spirit. Some songs are decent, some are really different. I give an`'A' for effort, I beleive he really tried with this one. Dare I say, more so than the last Stones album.

As with the Stones, a lot of his best stuff though isn't widely available, if at all officially. Check out the Red Devils though (one track of theirs made it onto his hits package).

[thepowergoats.com]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2466
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home