Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

ot: Ky-Mani Marley any good?
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: December 8, 2007 19:48

He's opening for Van Halen in New Orleans.
Sounds like a strange combination for a concert, but what the heck?

Should I make it a point to be there early and see him,
or can I afford to get there late?

Re: ot: Ky-Mani Marley any good?
Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 8, 2007 19:56

Hes supposed to be opening in dallas,too.(for the whole tour?) Have you seen the aud shot Phila. dvds? Diamond Dave tells a story setting up "Ice Cream Man" that kinda ties the whole Marley thing together.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: December 8, 2007 19:58

Some info here

[www.music.com]

Also I found brief review

Look, I like Ky-Mani's hip-hop-flavored reggae just fine. (YouTube has clips for his 2000 single "Warriors" and his more recent collaboration with G-Unit rapper Young Buck, "Puff Puff Pass" — both NSFW but well worth checking out.) And if Diamond Dave and the gang are feeling his vibe too, more power to 'em. But do Van Halen and Ky-Mani actually have any fans in common? Should concertgoers expect VH to bust out a mellow reggae remix of "Runnin' With the Devil"? My mind is reeling already.

Posted by: hutz13 ()
Date: December 8, 2007 19:58

I'd say definitely yes, try to get there early a take in his opener ... very reminicent of his dad's sound and even though it seems like a weird combination with VH it worked for me. Most of the crowd wasn't that interested but after a couple of songs they became more respectful and seemed to enjoy his set.

JIm

Ultimate Rock Music Poll
[www.squidoo.com]

Date: December 8, 2007 20:00

Interesting, no I haven't seen the DVDs.

I enjoy reggae but wouldn't call myself a huge fan.
I'll probably wind up getting there early anyway.
Just interested to see what other people think of him.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: December 8, 2007 20:04

You've got to have some interest seeing that The Stones have dabbled with it at times ..

Date: December 8, 2007 20:10

You got me there, Boston!
But now I'm hearing that his music has a bit of
hip-hop influence, which I abhor.
But opening acts usually last about 45 minutes, right?
Even if I don't like it, I think I can hold out for that long.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: December 8, 2007 20:57

seen philly # 2 show & i enjoyed him , he only played about 5 songs which lasted about 25 min. opened w/ I shot da sheriff , i posted pics here & on Shedoobee back then

Wachovia center in philly is usually noted for poor sound , but this gig from floor da sound was awesome & very Loud for halen , i mean crystal clear sound

have a great gig

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: December 8, 2007 22:36

A lazy choice of a tour opener. Compliments the lazy performance VH has been doing. See the show, give yourself a day or two and then pull apart the layers to find that something is not right about the show (besides the absence of Michael Anthony).

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: December 8, 2007 23:08

I saw him at Amoeba Music a few weeks ago and it was really good. But it was a small venue and the sound was pristine. I imagine in an arena with a poor mix it will just be "thump thump thump," but if I had a VH ticket I would definitely be there in time to see him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2058
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home