Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
JAGGER-LENNON relationship
Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: February 2, 2010 23:48

No credit

I've always thought that the relationship between JAGGER and LENNON were very strange. A soul brother ? Impressed by his behaviour ?
Mick seemed to really enjoy to be with him.
I haven't read something satisfying about this relationship.
Did LENNON influenced Mick on some Rolling STONES tracks (Music and Lyrics) ?
confused smiley

HMN

Re: JAGGER-LENNON relationship
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 2, 2010 23:54

from timeisonourside.com:

I liked John very much to start. We all had a good relationship with John.
He seemed to be in sympathy with our kind of music, so we used to go out to clubs a lot...
He was educated and very smart and cynical and funny and really amusing company.
He had a very funny take on the rest of the Beatles... But I used to get on with Paul as well.
Paul is very nice and easy to get on with - didn't have the acerbic side. You always knew with John,
you're gonna be on the end of a lot of sarcastic remarks that you weren't always in the mood for.
- Mick Jagger, 1995

No, I'm not at all interested in what (Paul McCartney) does. Unfortunately, John Lennon's dead...
- Keith Richards, 1997

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: February 2, 2010 23:54

Lennon had some BITING Words about Jagger (and others) in his Rolling Stone Interview "Lennon Remembers", but I believe there was a mutual admiration musically

Posted by: MARSBAR ()
Date: February 2, 2010 23:58

Yer Blue John...I miss Lennon a lot..pity Chapman wasnt crosseyed...isnt it Yokoangry smiley

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: February 3, 2010 00:00

i think lennon felt a lot superior to all of the stones and also superior to mick.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 3, 2010 00:01

When I saw R & R circus and Jagger and Lennon together it seemed to me that Jagger was impressed by Lennon. In my eyes Jagger showed conspicuously less selfconfident behaviour. Lennon being himself, Jagger in public ... an actor and not authentic.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: February 3, 2010 00:05

Mick and John both lived on Central Park West in NYC during the 70's and Mick used to visit John at the Dakota; I read that Mick was concerned that John was way too reclusive and part of the lyrics in " Watching The Wheels" from Double Fantasy are about that self-imposed hibernation. John was the bread-baking house husband and apparently John loved it. You all know this but that answers, in part the influence Mick had on John late in his life. In the early days EVERY British band copied the Beatles in some way or another. I believe they enjoyed each others' company quite a lot and as you may recall when John left Yoko and lived with another woman( I forgot her name but I believe she was also Japanese), John and Mick recorded a few tunes together. This was John's " lost weekend" phase which lasted much longer than a weekend. Harry Nielsson was a part of the group that befriended John during this time. John eventually went back to Yoko, they went into a very creative period resulting in Double Fantasy and then....the day the music died. I put it this way because I believe John would have gone on to record music at an even higher level than ever before...but we'll never know.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 3, 2010 00:05

........................................................................Keith Richards 1992

ROCKMAN

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: February 3, 2010 00:38

May Pang was that "other" Woman

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 3, 2010 00:41

Well, John used to call him "Mick Faggot". I guess it was in a nice way.

"It's not been my fault, Michael".

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: February 3, 2010 00:49

That's right Gripweed! And isn't it funny that John would call Mick a faggot ( I hate that term) when it was rumored that he and Epstein were having a " thing" for years!! I think John was a closet homosexual or at least bisexual. I don't care at all because I adored John and still mourn his death. I never got over his dying that way. I've read at least 3 John bios and they all mention that John and Brian Epstein were " very close".

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: February 3, 2010 00:54

With his arrogance,style ,dark side and general attitude I often think (in an other worldly way) Lennon wouldn't have been that out of place as a Rolling Stone.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: February 3, 2010 01:03

photo not credited

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: February 3, 2010 01:47

Winston, welcome to the show
It's a pleasure to be heeah, Michael

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-03 01:53 by Brue.

Posted by: behroez ()
Date: February 3, 2010 02:08

I remember very well the moment i got the news the Beatles broke up. But to my reading John was extremely arrogant, and he really thought that he WAS the Beatles, nay even better. It was due to his attitude that the beatles broke up (Yoko in the studio). and he thought, now i am going to show them all what reall good music is. But unfortunatly for him, solo he was not so great as he had expected. but the Stones on the other hand, hadn't broken up after Brian's death (as Lennon expected) in fact it had only made them more famous, nay, the Stones were the biggest band around, end 60's beginning 70's, And in these remarks of Lennon towards Jagger is a bitter undertone of envy towards the Stones having betrayed him, by not splitting up as the Beatles did, and were in fact rolling up hill like anything. Lennon's ego just couldn't stand it that the Stones were bigger than he was without the Beatles (and he didn't expect it to happen, so convinced of his own genius)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-03 02:12 by behroez.

Date: February 3, 2010 02:25

behroez
I remember very well the moment i got the news the Beatles broke up. But to my reading John was extremely arrogant, and he really thought that he WAS the Beatles, nay even better. It was due to his attitude that the beatles broke up (Yoko in the studio). and he thought, now i am going to show them all what reall good music is. But unfortunatly for him, solo he was not so great as he had expected. but the Stones on the other hand, hadn't broken up after Brian's death (as Lennon expected) in fact it had only made them more famous, nay, the Stones were the biggest band around, end 60's beginning 70's, And in these remarks of Lennon towards Jagger is a bitter undertone of envy towards the Stones having betrayed him, by not splitting up as the Beatles did, and were in fact rolling up hill like anything. Lennon's ego just couldn't stand it that the Stones were bigger than he was without the Beatles (and he didn't expect it to happen, so convinced of his own genius)

Not so great? Plastic Ono Band is the best of all the Beatle solo albums by far. Imagine was almost as good, better if you like hits.

Date: February 3, 2010 02:33

71Tele
Not so great? Plastic Ono Band is the best of all the Beatle solo albums by far. Imagine was almost as good, better if you like hits.

Exactly Beatle SOLO albums, not the Beatles albums. And not comparible to the excitement that was surrrounding the Stones in those years

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: February 3, 2010 02:34

I don't think one should use the Lennon Remembers interview as a litmus test about his feelings about the Stones. No one, besides Yoko, is spared Lennon's wrath. I think he felt that by slamming everyone, he could make a clean start after being a Beatle all those years.

From all accounts, John was arrogant, kind, egotistical, generous and a genius. It was all those things that made him John Lennon and why he's missed. Lennon was far from jealous of the Stones. Lennon's solo work certainly overwhelms the various Stones solo projects, that's for sure. After 1975, all he cared about was his family and living his life on his terms.

I'm sure his relationship with the Stones and Dylan and The Who and everyone else was pretty complicated considering what they all went through at such a young age.

Date: February 3, 2010 02:37

batcave
I don't think one should use the Lennon Remembers interview as a litmus test about his feelings about the Stones. No one, besides Yoko, is spared Lennon's wrath. I think he felt that by slamming everyone, he could make a clean start after being a Beatle all those years.

From all accounts, John was arrogant, kind, egotistical, generous and a genius. It was all those things that made him John Lennon and why he's missed. Lennon was far from jealous of the Stones. Lennon's solo work certainly overwhelms the various Stones solo projects, that's for sure. After 1975, all he cared about was his family and living his life on his terms.

I'm sure his relationship with the Stones and Dylan and The Who and everyone else was pretty complicated considering what they all went through at such a young age.

You hit it on the head. he slagged the people he admired most, or saw as his worthy competitors: McCartney, Jagger, Dylan.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 3, 2010 02:41

ROLLINGSTONE
With his arrogance,style ,dark side and general attitude I often think (in an other worldly way) Lennon wouldn't have been that out of place as a Rolling Stone.

I think he has as different sensability the stones. I can picture him getting bored with them. Not that they were boring, I just cant' see him getting in the grind of album/tour/album/tour/album that they were in during the 70's. He had been there and done that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-03 02:42 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: February 3, 2010 03:11

whoa lotta cool commento ty...

well in that (majestic) pic mick is definitely the 'chick'...
just from a socio-anthropological view of these two primates in each others company...not the'alphq' w john...
and mick does look like a great beauty all 'mick faggot'...
not that the 'image' or mick's great makeup job in itself cause me to think like this...
mick seems happy, content...john is the 'dad' or the 'man...
i think keith loved john for this...everyone did...he helped a lotta peeple into the business...keith told Hunter Thompson that john was the 'strongman' who blew down all the doors...and opened up new ones for his friends and the general mersey side and onto London...Animals were brewing...everything was happeninin' but no one in the states knew or cared....yet.

i love a lot of these posts. straight on thanks...a rock and roll trip...!!
john's acerbic, sometimes tiresome bitter naive purposely infantile...cruel even...mick and keith froze brian (and others) out with that kind of definite boundary, for whatever reasons...these guys, all of em, quick with a '@#$%& you' i bet.,..how can u survive w out it?

know KEITH really loved george and john...very close...
think it's obvious that mick loved him...and yeah lennon was being snide and uppity and as doofy as mick was pretty boy model with a blown out voice...(and mick knew it, thus holding up that vid for decades)....the shoot from that pic i mean...

u get the feeling keith still feels it...that story about him and the piano is very touching and sad...
say wat u will, and boy peeple sho do here...i wanna be your man was a breakthru for the stones...i beatles song (which charted them!!!! and made the business look at the stones seriously in the first place!!!!!!!!)
what brian and boys did to that NOTHING like the beatboys...! but a prototypical lennon mccartney tin pan alley pop rock...
the stones made it soar and made it clear...and made it dangerous and grounded and bluesy...
john really was the dad of that whole scene...tough son of a bitch he was...
i LOVE lennon and think he's at his best as an uncensored big mouth goin' off on any and everything with a speedy whirl and remnants of his bar band r&b rock and roll appreniceship...

Date: February 3, 2010 03:34

Beelyboy
i wanna be your man was a breakthru for the stones...

Beatle fans tend to overrate the importance of I Wanna Be Your Man. It didn't even enter the UK top 10, and passed by the rest of the world totally unnoticed, in the rest of the world people had never heard of it untill it was released as a kind of obscure curiosa on compilation albums. In 1963 Andrew wanted the Stones to come up with a "hitsingle", he thought that they could not have a hit with the R&B covers. And that's the story of the Stones coming up with come On and later Be Your Man. But it didn't really work, and the complaint at the time in the British music media was that the Stones were not able to put on record the exciting sound that they were allready famous for (right from 1962 onwards) as a club circuit sensation. Beginning 1964 Oldham started to give up on the idea of a "hitsingle" and let the Stones record what they loved and were good at, R&B covers, and that was Not Fade Away, and that was their international breakthrough. The rest is history

Posted by: cc ()
Date: February 3, 2010 04:55

kleermaker
When I saw R & R circus and Jagger and Lennon together it seemed to me that Jagger was impressed by Lennon. In my eyes Jagger showed conspicuously less selfconfident behaviour. Lennon being himself, Jagger in public ... an actor and not authentic.

I agree... their scene together in R'n'R Circus is too awkward to watch (and shoddily written).

john's reputation and influence are so massive that it's hard to know how to take other musicians' comments about him... I wonder if even mick or keith know whether they're being sincere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-03 05:04 by cc.

Date: February 3, 2010 05:01

The two weirder scenes I have seen in popular music are Lennon with Jagger and Lennon with Dylan (that sequence in the back of the car in England).

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 3, 2010 05:34

shortfatfanny

photo not credited

Shortfatfanny, that is a great photo! I am thinking circa 1980, Double Fantasy sessions, by the looks of Lennons hair and specs and he is so skinny. Where did you get that photo?

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 3, 2010 06:26

I think that photo is from '72 during the sessions for Yoko's Fly album.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 3, 2010 06:54

GOOD CALL LOOG! That is it! Thanks!

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: February 3, 2010 09:08

71Tele
The two weirder scenes I have seen in popular music are Lennon with Jagger and Lennon with Dylan (that sequence in the back of the car in England).

AbsoLUTEly!!

Check out this outtake from RNR Circus!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-03 09:09 by swiss.

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: February 3, 2010 09:55

I think it was 2 years ago when Yoko did her exhibition with the clothes that still had John´s blood on it. She was asked how it was to live with John, I guess, I don´t remember the question, i only remember the answer, and that was: we used to spend a lot of time with our friends like Mick and Bianca (and another couple). So much to their relationship.

Re: The Department of Historical Accuracy
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 3, 2010 09:58

behroez
[I Wanna Be Your Man] passed by the rest of the world totally unnoticed, in the rest of the world
people had never heard of it untill it was released as a kind of obscure curiosa on compilation albums.

er ... it was released in the US as the b-side to Not Fade Away in march 1964,
and it definitely didn't go "unnoticed".

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1496
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home