Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: JAGGER-LENNON relationship
Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: February 4, 2010 02:03

John Halsey, the drummer for The Rutles (Barry Wom) also played drums on Lou Reed's Transformer. neat.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: February 4, 2010 02:22

Thanks Behroez and >grinning smiley< agreed with swiss a funny one!

HMN

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: February 5, 2010 01:43

gripweed
Lennon had some BITING Words about Jagger (and others) in his Rolling Stone Interview "Lennon Remembers", but I believe there was a mutual admiration musically

Jonnie was higher than God on heroin & he had that shrew egging him on for years. He hated everything when he was w/Yoko & she loved exacerbating him. & she loved the attention. The Stones & The Beatles got along just fine, just like Pepsi & Coke.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: February 5, 2010 05:42

Honestman
@Swiss

Yes of course, Thanks for this footagethumbs up

Thanks!!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 5, 2010 05:51

It is always so interesting how easy it is for people to label what kind of relationship Lennon and Yoko had. And that Yoko had so much control over Lennon. It seems so hard for many people to believe that the two simply loved each other quite profoundly. And again you can go into micro analyzing who did what to whom, but to think that such a strong man like Lennon would "let" Yoko control him so completely, is really a big leap over reality. I am sure it was far more complex than just Yoko controlling John, and to be fair, by all accounts Lennon could be one mean bastard! I mean I love the man, and he has always been a hero to me, exactly because he was not perfect and was very open and honest about his faults. Remember the "Long Weekend" really began when during the post election party (Nixon/McGovern) Lennon went into a bedroom off the main living room and had very loud sex with another women while Yoko and all the folks in the party uncomfortably sat in silence listening to this humiliation. There are many songs from Mind Games and Walls and Bridges that are apologies to Yoko. And imagine the baggage she got with being with Beatle John. The hate, prejudice, and bitter blaming. To blame one woman for all The Beatles and John's ills is simply myopic.
But, to be sure there are sad moments where out of Yoko's extreme insecurity she shielded John from perceived threats, espeically reconnecting with Macca circa Double Fantasy. But can you blame her? In fact, by all accounts she was considering divocing John just prior to him becoming more creative. It sounds like from all accounts that John spent a lot of his time during his house husband days just laying in bed stoned watching TV. While Yoko created an financial empire for the Lennons.
But I am sure the most honest reflection on John and Mick's relationship is the quote from '95. They were friends, and remained friends until the end, And what a touching quote from keith about Lennon, I am sure Keith really apprciated Lennon's acerbic wit and humor, and vis versa.
Say what you will about Yoko, but there is no denying she is a strong woman who took a lot of unfair knocks. And imagine how hard it was for them to have such a public relationship, The Ballad Of John and Yoko indeed, "christ you know it ain't easy!"

Posted by: Keefy ()
Date: February 5, 2010 06:30

Jagger Dug Lennon, and i beleve Lennon Dug Mick, but took the piss outta him like he did everyone,other Beatles included.But i think he really Dug Mick as a performer artist..

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 5, 2010 06:52

whitem8
It is always so interesting how easy it is for people to label what kind of relationship Lennon and Yoko had. And that Yoko had so much control over Lennon. It seems so hard for many people to believe that the two simply loved each other quite profoundly. And again you can go into micro analyzing who did what to whom, but to think that such a strong man like Lennon would "let" Yoko control him so completely, is really a big leap over reality. I am sure it was far more complex than just Yoko controlling John, and to be fair, by all accounts Lennon could be one mean bastard! I mean I love the man, and he has always been a hero to me, exactly because he was not perfect and was very open and honest about his faults. Remember the "Long Weekend" really began when during the post election party (Nixon/McGovern) Lennon went into a bedroom off the main living room and had very loud sex with another women while Yoko and all the folks in the party uncomfortably sat in silence listening to this humiliation. There are many songs from Mind Games and Walls and Bridges that are apologies to Yoko. And imagine the baggage she got with being with Beatle John. The hate, prejudice, and bitter blaming. To blame one woman for all The Beatles and John's ills is simply myopic.
But, to be sure there are sad moments where out of Yoko's extreme insecurity she shielded John from perceived threats, espeically reconnecting with Macca circa Double Fantasy. But can you blame her? In fact, by all accounts she was considering divocing John just prior to him becoming more creative. It sounds like from all accounts that John spent a lot of his time during his house husband days just laying in bed stoned watching TV. While Yoko created an financial empire for the Lennons.
But I am sure the most honest reflection on John and Mick's relationship is the quote from '95. They were friends, and remained friends until the end, And what a touching quote from keith about Lennon, I am sure Keith really apprciated Lennon's acerbic wit and humor, and vis versa.
Say what you will about Yoko, but there is no denying she is a strong woman who took a lot of unfair knocks. And imagine how hard it was for them to have such a public relationship, The Ballad Of John and Yoko indeed, "christ you know it ain't easy!"
I never perceived JL as a strong man, but rather weak and insecure. I agree that it was more complex than just Yoko controlling John, him and Paul were so different it was bound to be strained. Nonetheless, the Yoko control was there, and for her to be ine the studio....no,no,no...

Date: February 5, 2010 07:12

While he may have aspects of his personality that are weak and insecure, overall he had to be quite a strong man to go forward with his vision of creating The Beatles and taking them to ..."the toper most of the popermost." Yoko, again you may, or may not like her, and her art, had a lot to offer John that made her quite attractive in his eyes. And she was the inspiration behind some of his most poignant love songs.

Posted by: raves ()
Date: February 5, 2010 10:07

very interesting

[www.independent.co.uk]

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 5, 2010 16:08

Well said "whitem8". I never claimed to be a fan of Yoko but John loved her. The rest of us didn't or don't have to. John was the biggest hero in my in my teen years, besides the great music I continue to appreciate him for what he did for me. Also, one thing I've always liked about John was his willingness to publicly share his faults. I feel we were very lucky to have him!!!

Posted by: MARSBAR ()
Date: February 5, 2010 16:26

whitem8
You know what!!!tell it to Cynthia...give me a break!!!The lovely Yoko was in a towel dressing gown with Lennon in HER house,with her husband!!!That didnt seem to bother "The strong woman who took unfair knocks""did itbloody cruel i would say.I would expect it from Lennon,he didnt give a shit,but he was always like that and dindt attempt to hide the fact he could be cruel etc.And you are right,while Lennon was stoned,Im sure she did make a financial empire for the Ono....errrrr I mean Lennons,and she manipulated Lennon more than controlled him...If you want more examples of the same look at Brad Pitts wife,there are plenty of woman who like power and use their more powerful/famous men,and visa versa.smoking smiley

Date: February 5, 2010 16:35

MKjan
whitem8
I never perceived JL as a strong man, but rather weak and insecure. I agree that it was more complex than just Yoko controlling John, him and Paul were so different it was bound to be strained. Nonetheless, the Yoko control was there, and for her to be ine the studio....no,no,no...
There is the reason for the Beatles break up...IN THE STUDIO!!!!!Sure they were struggling like any other band to stay together,THEN along comes Yoko bloody Ono into the STUDIO..I can just imagine how pissed off the others would get with this fawning idiot(Knew what she was doing and knew John would give shit if anybody said anything)following him to the washroom ,when George left and had had enough UP she went onto his stool etc,etc,etc,etc.A lot of what we hear is rumour or fact regarding Yoko as we all know with anybody famous,but she sure KNEW what she wanted and she got it.smoking smiley

Date: February 5, 2010 20:42

Come on that is so cliched to say she broke them up in the studio. Non sense. In fact it is interesting that there never really was much written or commented about Linda being in the studio. Now granted not as much as Yoko, but she sure as hell was there. She, along with Yoko, sing back up on The Beatles (White Album), and Linda is seen in Let it Be in the sound booth listening to a playback of Get Back. It was inevitable that The Beatles would break up, and their break up didn't need Yoko as a catalyst. They had plenty of their own inter-personal issues to make that happen on its own. But yes, no doubt about Yoko changing the game for the four lads. And loath in the sixties that a woman should exert so much free will and power. Seems to be a bit of a double standard here. Anyhow, not that I am some great champion of Yoko...but it is important to keep a honest perspective here. And yeah, no doubt about Lennon being a right bastard to Cynthia, but again, look at that in the context of Lennon getting her pregnant, doing the right thing and marrying her, when he probably didn't love her very passionately, but that was what you did then wasn't it. And then as he grew more and more apart from her, the only way he new, or was taught to end relationships was by being a bastard. Probably a lot of that is from how his mother and father both left him so cruelly. And so he had to be a pig to drive Cynthia away, yet she just came back time and again, because that'w what good little women did, and finally Lennon used the ultimate trump card, open infidelity. Very sad, especially for Julian. I have always felt the saddest for that poor boy...but I digress. I am just saying it is all far too easy to slag off on Yoko and blame her for it all...if anything, Klein did more to break up The Beatles than any women in their lives. And as Lennon said later in the 70's. "We are close friends still. We went through the ringer together. And we lived with each other for over ten years...and after so long the slightest perceived affront led to, "its because of you playing that tambourine wrong that has ruined my life"...yeah, it had to happen we just grew apart and wanted to live our own lives".
And actually she didn't go onto Lennon's stool:-) He had her bed moved into the studio!! Yeah, so no doubt about her adding to the entire scene being a pressure cooker, but you can be damn sure that was just as much Lennon, playing his cards saying fvck you guys, I am the leader again and I will do what I damn please and just wait for when one of you dares to challenge me, and he no doubt would unleash his full furry. And George walked out of the Twickingham sessions because Lennon was not into George's songs and did every thing he could to ridicule them, until George stormed out. And if you listen to the boots from that encounter, and read the fabulous book, The Get Back Sessions, Lennon is heard on tape saying, "fvck George! If he doesn't come back then we will get Clapton!" And ultimately, it was Lennon, during that fatefull Apple business meeting with Klein where he announced, "well you are all daft, I want a divorce!" And they sat stunned, and convinced him to not announce until after the contract was signed giving them a new royalty scheme... Yeah, Yoko can easily be perceived as the culprit, but she was the vehicle by which John could be free from The Beatles, he had had enough...He started the band and he wanted to end it. And the fact that Paul was perceived as the one that ended the show pissed John off to no end...

Date: February 5, 2010 23:18

whitem8

Come on that is so cliched to say she broke them up in the studio. Non sense. In fact it is interesting that there never really was much written or commented about Linda being in the studio. Now granted not as much as Yoko, but she sure as hell was there. She, along with Yoko, sing back up on The Beatles (White Album), and Linda is seen in Let it Be in the sound booth listening to a playback of Get Back. It was inevitable that The Beatles would break up, and their break up didn't need Yoko as a catalyst. They had plenty of their own inter-personal issues to make that happen on its own. But yes, no doubt about Yoko changing the game for the four lads. And loath in the sixties that a woman should exert so much free will and power. Seems to be a bit of a double standard here. Anyhow, not that I am some great champion of Yoko...but it is important to keep a honest perspective here. And yeah, no doubt about Lennon being a right bastard to Cynthia, but again, look at that in the context of Lennon getting her pregnant, doing the right thing and marrying her, when he probably didn't love her very passionately, but that was what you did then wasn't it. And then as he grew more and more apart from her, the only way he new, or was taught to end relationships was by being a bastard. Probably a lot of that is from how his mother and father both left him so cruelly. And so he had to be a pig to drive Cynthia away, yet she just came back time and again, because that'w what good little women did, and finally Lennon used the ultimate trump card, open infidelity. Very sad, especially for Julian. I have always felt the saddest for that poor boy...but I digress. I am just saying it is all far too easy to slag off on Yoko and blame her for it all...if anything, Klein did more to break up The Beatles than any women in their lives. And as Lennon said later in the 70's. "We are close friends still. We went through the ringer together. And we lived with each other for over ten years...and after so long the slightest perceived affront led to, "its because of you playing that tambourine wrong that has ruined my life"...yeah, it had to happen we just grew apart and wanted to live our own lives".
And actually she didn't go onto Lennon's stool:-) He had her bed moved into the studio!! Yeah, so no doubt about her adding to the entire scene being a pressure cooker, but you can be damn sure that was just as much Lennon, playing his cards saying fvck you guys, I am the leader again and I will do what I damn please and just wait for when one of you dares to challenge me, and he no doubt would unleash his full furry. And George walked out of the Twickingham sessions because Lennon was not into George's songs and did every thing he could to ridicule them, until George stormed out. And if you listen to the boots from that encounter, and read the fabulous book, The Get Back Sessions, Lennon is heard on tape saying, "fvck George! If he doesn't come back then we will get Clapton!" And ultimately, it was Lennon, during that fatefull Apple business meeting with Klein where he announced, "well you are all daft, I want a divorce!" And they sat stunned, and convinced him to not announce until after the contract was signed giving them a new royalty scheme... Yeah, Yoko can easily be perceived as the culprit, but she was the vehicle by which John could be free from The Beatles, he had had enough...He started the band and he wanted to end it. And the fact that Paul was perceived as the one that ended the show pissed John off to no end...

smileys with beer

HMN

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: February 5, 2010 23:22

i thought this thread was about lennon-jagger relationship.

yoko surely was a bad choice though.

Date: February 5, 2010 23:32

stoneswashed77
i thought this thread was about lennon-jagger relationship.

Yep it was...confused smiley

HMN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-05 23:32 by Honestman.

Date: February 6, 2010 00:27

whitem8
A hell of a difference Linda in the studio to Yoko!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Your talk about Cynthia and doing the right thing in those days or whatever are nothing to do with what Im talking about,Im talking about John was married to a working class liverpool girl,he got REAL famous,He is meeting and mixing with Fame etc,etc,Along comes You know who,AND not by Bloody chance either!!To a Working Class Hero like John suddenley there is this different,weird,arty farty woman.NOW Cynthia is a goner,it coulda been any woman as we all know in Rock & Roll that breaks up marriages or relationships.It wasnt a stool you say but a bed!!!!!!right there is exactly what Im talking about,John loved all this new/exciting stuff with this zany woman,and i posted that She wasnt the whole reason they broke up,I understand that,but she sure as hell didnt help the situation,and I bet any money Linda wasnt a pain in the ass in the studio either.Yoko gave Lennon exactly what he wanted....arty,weird,different just what his ego and otherwise "Boring" Cynthia couldnt.As for "F***K George" by Lennon...well!we all know what he would say..its typical Lennon right or wrong.smoking smiley

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: February 6, 2010 02:18

Well, Tontarpi, I really am not being judgemental about John's sex life and it would not diminish how I feel about him one bit; I have a feeling that many British men experiment with other men as a sort of rite of passage. Just for the record, I have read the Goldman book but I have also read other publications that have referenced the fact that John and Brian had a thing.
Marsbar, I couldn't agree more about it being a SIN that the creature who shot John is still ALIVE! It turns my stomach. I wish someone would allow me to flip the switch on his electric chair. It would be my priviledge!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 6, 2010 03:40

mickschix
Well, Tontarpi, I really am not being judgemental about John's sex life and it would not diminish how I feel about him one bit; I have a feeling that many British men experiment with other men as a sort of rite of passage.

Nothin' like a good old stereotype there. Seriously, Debra - thats utter nonsense.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: February 6, 2010 03:49

Gazza
mickschix
Well, Tontarpi, I really am not being judgemental about John's sex life and it would not diminish how I feel about him one bit; I have a feeling that many British men experiment with other men as a sort of rite of passage.

Nothin' like a good old stereotype there. Seriously, Debra - thats utter nonsense.

seriously, I also thought it was rather true of boy's public school culture in the UK? I wouldn't say it's a rite of passage for boy's boarding schools in the US, but a certain amount of kanoodling(sp?) does seem to happen at boy's prep schools. At least when I was growing up. Maybe it's changed.

Reminder --- I'm a female! so no "Well, maybe you did that, mate," comments please winking smiley

Date: February 6, 2010 05:38

Of course it is. There are many great documentations about this. Some interesting movies showing this: Another Country etc. But also in the recent Lennon Biography there are interviews with Lennon, Pete Shotten and a few others where circle jerking was common ritual.
I was recently in Hamburg and went to the Beatlemania museum, where there was a beautiful drawing by Klaus Vorman of Paul and John washing up in the men's room in a seedy club, they are naked, with a hooker looking on. Great drawing. I do not think Lennon was bisexual, but he was clearly interested in it, and it is also interesting to note he was close friends with Bowie and Elton John, one a self admitted bisexual and the other gay, and Elton is Sean's godfather.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 6, 2010 06:52

Lennon once stated the the STones were the true essence of rock 'n' roll. i think Mick dug John more than John dug Mick. mick actually seems to be somewhat in awe of John.

Date: February 6, 2010 09:03

I agree Slew...but also I do think they were friends, and the envy went both ways under different circumstances. I always wonder if Mick envied the fact Lennon had found a true love and soul mate??

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 6, 2010 15:58

behroez

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 6, 2010 16:34

John Lennon stayed in Tokyo in the summer of 1978.
He was stuck in the hotel at that time.
He asked his acquaintance to buy some records.
His request was Street Legal and Some Girls.

Date: February 6, 2010 17:05

swiss
Gazza
mickschix

seriously, I also thought it was rather true of boy's public school culture in the UK? I wouldn't say it's a rite of passage for boy's boarding schools in the US, but a certain amount of kanoodling(sp?) does seem to happen at boy's prep schools. At least when I was growing up. Maybe it's changed.

Reminder --- I'm a female! so no "Well, maybe you did that, mate," comments please winking smiley
I went to boarding school for two years in Germany(British forces school)I didnt see any homosexual activities in that time,we all of course had "hand Shandies"but thats normal.I fancied my Art Teacher like mad!!!That was all in 1966 or so and I still remember her name Miss Jackson!!And if anybody was at boarding school in W.Germany when I was there and says differently...I DENY EVERYTHING!!!!After all GOOD LORD!!Im BRITISH and Canadian toosmileys with beersmoking smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 6, 2010 18:22

slew
Lennon once stated the the STones were the true essence of rock 'n' roll. i think Mick dug John more than John dug Mick. mick actually seems to be somewhat in awe of John.

Exactly what I said up here, at the beginning of this thread.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: February 6, 2010 20:44

Oh my dear Gazza, I was not making that up about SOME Brits experimenting with the same sex; I lived with a Brit for 6 years, and his mother told me first hand that the British prep schools were hotbeds for such experimentation and it was " quite normal" as she was inclined to say. I can't remember how we got on to that topic but she was pretty definitive about it being a truth. She was born and raised in Merry Ole England, still had a heavy accent. I always marveled at how casual she was about it. She was not generalizing; she even stated that it was not unusual for some British men to continue this practice outside of and beyond prep school.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: February 6, 2010 23:00

Gazza
mickschix

That British men are all gay is a rumor started by the Irish!

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: February 6, 2010 23:03

Lets just say I'll NEVER smoke a Fag drinking smiley

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1661
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home