Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Ringo starr- y not
Date: January 27, 2010 13:03

anyone get this album? thoughts on it?

Re: OT: Ringo starr- y not
Date: January 27, 2010 13:08

My local recordshop says: Ringo starr: y not, we have it, but pls beware that this purchase will be on your own responsibility grinning smiley

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: January 27, 2010 14:23

Looks and sounds like an 80's album, I think, but only based on the iTunes snippets I heard. I like the tunes with McCartney, but I can't say I like the whole feel of the album, from what I've heard. Glad Ringo's still making music, but I think he could do much better.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 27, 2010 14:35

Got it even though I was forewarned. Solo Ringo is a required to begin with. In the end there's a few good moments but don't expect anything incredible.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 27, 2010 14:43

Please excuse me, I left out "taste:" as in required taste in the above entry.

Date: January 27, 2010 15:11

i like most of ringo's recent solo work but thought liverpool 8 was pretty weak. thats why i thought i'd ask before rushing out and buying this album

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 27, 2010 15:39

keefriffhard4life
i like most of ringo's recent solo work but thought liverpool 8 was pretty weak. thats why i thought i'd ask before rushing out and buying this album

So you have found Ringo albums that's not weak? smiling smiley

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 27, 2010 15:48

frankotero
Please excuse me, I left out "taste:" as in required taste in the above entry.

Are you sure you don't mean "acquired taste?"

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 27, 2010 15:51

Come On
keefriffhard4life

The actual album simply titled "Ringo" is excellent.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 27, 2010 15:53

kovach
Come On
keefriffhard4life

Agree! It's almost a Beatles album...

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 27, 2010 16:02

The last Ringo album I bought was "Rotogravure" (1976). It was not as good as "Goodnight Vienna" (1974), which was not as good as "Ringo" (1973). I would assume the downward spiral has continued wtih each new Ringo release.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 27, 2010 20:40

kovach
Come On
keefriffhard4life

Yes, it is. As far as I know, the only post-Beatles album that all 4 played on. John, Paul, and George each also wrote a song for it.

John's "I'm The Greatest" is still played often by the All-Starr Band. Paul's "Six O'Clock" is a pop gem. And George's "Photograph" is a stunningly beautiful song (even with Ringo's vocals).

"No Anchovies, Please"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-27 20:41 by Elmo Lewis.

Date: January 27, 2010 20:42

Agreed that the quality started dropping off after "Ringo". I gave up after "Wrack My Brain".

Date: January 27, 2010 20:43

tatters
The last Ringo album I bought was "Rotogravure" (1976). It was not as good as "Goodnight Vienna" (1974), which was not as good as "Ringo" (1973). I would assume the downward spiral has continued wtih each new Ringo release.

Like tatters said.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: January 28, 2010 00:02

after his long gap between albums (i think 1983-1992) he released a few good albums again but like his original run they got worse with each album

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: January 28, 2010 01:00

From the current issue of VIZ magazine:

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: January 28, 2010 02:56

I love old Ringo, but my attitude towards anything outside of his great "Ringo" album from the 70's is: Y bother?

Date: January 28, 2010 05:51

Elmo Lewis
kovach
Come On
keefriffhard4life

Yes, it is. As far as I know, the only post-Beatles album that all 4 played on. John, Paul, and George each also wrote a song for it.

John's "I'm The Greatest" is still played often by the All-Starr Band. Paul's "Six O'Clock" is a pop gem. And George's "Photograph" is a stunningly beautiful song (even with Ringo's vocals).

And since the expanded "Ringo" CD also includes "It Don't Come Easy", it's really got all the Ringo any sane person could ever possibly need. "I'm The Greatest" isn't much of a song, but it's got three Beatles playing on it, and Lennon's Anthology box set includes a demo version which not only features John, George, and Ringo, but also features JOHN'S lead vocal, showing Ringo how he wanted him to sing it. To me, THAT'S the real Beatles reunion record. Not "Free As A Bird".

Date: January 28, 2010 07:10

On the Breakfast With The Beatles radio show, host Chris Carter sometimes plays a demo version of "It Don't Come Easy" with George doing the vocal.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: January 28, 2010 08:37

In some ways, he was slightly ahead of his time.
His first solo album was an album of old "standards" and everyone thought
"What the hell is this?" His second was a country album and everyone thought "What the hell is this?" Nowadays to do that is somewhat commonplace.
How many of you musicians out there if offered to do an album in Nashville
with Nashville musicians would say "Uh, no, thank you."
The songs were a bit dubious, but hey...
And you can't knock his drumming. If you have a problem with Ringo Starr's
drumming, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 28, 2010 11:38

good post tomk:-)

Date: January 28, 2010 16:53

Badfinger playing on "It Don't Come Easy"?

Date: January 28, 2010 17:32

Elmo Lewis
Badfinger playing on "It Don't Come Easy"?

George Harrison plays on it. I think a couple of the Badfinger guys do some of the background vocals. I can hear Tom Evans's voice very clearly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-28 17:37 by tatters.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: January 28, 2010 17:54

I haven't heard Ringo's latest album, but I've heard some from Pete Best's last album (a year or two ago) - they interviewed him on the college station and played some of it, and some of it sounded pretty good. Kind of updated merseybeat. I thought it was pretty hip meeself. Jingle jangle mornin

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: January 29, 2010 02:06

I have not heard it yet. I did hear that he will be in nearby Niagara Falls rehearsing for a tour with his latest incarnation of the All-Starr Band soon. Unfortunately, the band is seriously lacking stars, other than Ringo. I kind of feel bad that he couldn't attract anyone worthwhile. This edition is Ringo, Edgar Winter (hmm wonder what song he will play), Rick Derringer (see note about Edgar Winter), Gary Wright (again see note about Edgar Winter)...it then gets more obscure with Wally Palmar on rhythm guitar (I had to look him up online...he was a singer for the Romantics...but not on their biggest hit: 'What I like About You')...then more obscure with Richard Page on bass (I had to look him up online, too....he was in Mr. Mister in the 80s).

I like Ringo, I just hope the end of his career does not get Spinal Tap-like.

(One more thing: the drummer of his band is Gregg Bissonette, a great session drummer who has played with Spinal Tap, among many others)

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: January 29, 2010 02:57

buffalo7478
I have not heard it yet. I did hear that he will be in nearby Niagara Falls rehearsing for a tour with his latest incarnation of the All-Starr Band soon. Unfortunately, the band is seriously lacking stars, other than Ringo. I kind of feel bad that he couldn't attract anyone worthwhile. This edition is Ringo, Edgar Winter (hmm wonder what song he will play), Rick Derringer (see note about Edgar Winter), Gary Wright (again see note about Edgar Winter)...it then gets more obscure with Wally Palmar on rhythm guitar (I had to look him up online...he was a singer for the Romantics...but not on their biggest hit: 'What I like About You')...then more obscure with Richard Page on bass (I had to look him up online, too....he was in Mr. Mister in the 80s).

I like Ringo, I just hope the end of his career does not get Spinal Tap-like.

(One more thing: the drummer of his band is Gregg Bissonette, a great session drummer who has played with Spinal Tap, among many others)

He's damn near 70 now, maybe you're right, he's like those some of those old acts in Vaudeville that got lousy bookings and didn't know when to quit. Sucks because he can still play. At least he was when I saw him on the tube last year in the studio being interviewed by Lynn Hoffman.

Date: January 29, 2010 03:27

Ringo is on Jimmy Fallon tonight. He was on about two weeks ago, so it must be a rerun.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1981
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home