Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Album Ramble: Wandering Spirit
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: January 10, 2010 23:14

I listened to this album last week for the first time in about 15 years (i listened to it a lot when it came out). And i was blown away by how great it sounded.

Mick's vocals are great - love the twisted pronumciation ('hydrogeeeeen'- Wired All Night), and some decent though (and inspiration) has gone into the arrangements, middle 8s, lyrics etc.

And the band are sounding lean and tight, and so energised.

Wired, Put Me In the Trash, Sweet Thing, Angel..., Evening Gown. Great great songs, performed with gusto. Hell, i even found Handsome Molly (which used to make me squirm) kind of moving..

As much as I love the Stones, and a lot of Voodoo Lounge, i have to say that I think Wandering Spirit is the stronger release...

'I know it's a recession, but gimme some money!!'

What do you think about this LP?

Re: Album Ramble: Wandering Spirit
Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: January 10, 2010 23:23

I'll admit, it's the best of the Jagger solo stuff, and there is some strong songs on there....you've put it in my mind to dig it out again - like you it must 15 years since it had a spin

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: January 10, 2010 23:41

Great energy, strong songwriting, really not a dud on there, and it's 14 tracks long.

What I remember when it came out was how LOUD the CD was. Good Gawd! Evening Gown is an absolutely beautiful song. I think Alejandro Escoveda does a cover of it, if I'm not mistaken, not sure about that.

T@3

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: January 11, 2010 00:26

"Wandering Spirit" is the 1st Stones-related album that I owned. It was my introduction to the Stones, since I got my 1st Rolling Stones album only after that, so it holds a special place.

And yes, it is a very good album - probably the best solo album by a Glimmer Twin.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 11, 2010 01:08

It blew me and my friends of the chairs.

And it still does. A perfect record.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 11, 2010 01:57

Only decent solo album he's done ( other than the unreleased blues album)

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: January 11, 2010 02:08

Great album. I think Sweet Thing and Hang on To Me Tonight are the stand out tracks. And of course Evening Gown.

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: January 11, 2010 02:15

The best cd of jagger,its LOUD the lyrics are strong,got lot of diffrent style of music,jagger is the best at what he does,keep on rock-rolling.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: January 11, 2010 03:37

It's not a coincedence that Jagger worked on this album with a producer who wasn't just another yes man and created a great album because of it.

The Stones need to work with someone who has the balls to tell them no when needed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-11 03:38 by James Kirk.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 11, 2010 04:03

It's not bad at all. I was quite pleasantly surprised when I first heard it.

Posted by: Rialb ()
Date: January 11, 2010 04:38

Was Wandering Spirit ever released on Vinyl?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 11, 2010 04:40

Only polycarbonate as far as I know

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: January 11, 2010 04:58

i loved it back then. it still sounds kinda cool nowadays. but i put on primitive cool the other day....ufffffff what a piece of shit.t! ;-)

Date: January 11, 2010 05:01

Rialb

Was it ever released on CD??? I've never even seen WS on CD. I only have it on vinyl.

So the answer is of course yes.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 11, 2010 05:08

Yeah your right Hillside Blues, I mixed things up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 11, 2010 05:23

There's a 6 track - 12'vinyl/CD single of Sweet Thing .... Stripped Down Version is filthy ..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 11, 2010 06:08

Excellent album. Makes all his others sound like what they are - total shit.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: January 11, 2010 06:44

skipstone
Excellent album. Makes all his others sound like what they are - total shit.

I would give Goddess a modestly good rating.

She's the Boss is at least fun and isn't trying to be Stones record.

Primitive Cool is just flat out unlistenable. I have never, never, even the day I bought it, been able to stomach listening to that turd all the way through. One of the single most disappointing albums I have ever bought by anyone. Dylan's Under the Red Sky (coming on the heels of Oh, Mercy) might be a close second.

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: January 11, 2010 07:04

Fantastic record - love Out Of Focus and the "Lord help me now" in Mother of a Man was a forerunner to it in Out of Control...

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: January 11, 2010 07:15

Liked it alot and I really like Primitive Cool also. Loved the songs "Kow Tow" and "Shoot off Your Mouth".

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: January 11, 2010 11:44

WS is Mick Jagger's best soloalbum.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: January 11, 2010 11:57

Yeah, it's a beautiful, a great album. Mick at his best. I do like all tracks on it, especially Sweet Thing, Hang on to me Tonight, Evening Gown, of course, and, Don't tear me Up.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: January 11, 2010 12:12

"It's not a coincedence that Jagger worked on this album with a producer who wasn't just another yes man and created a great album because of it.

The Stones need to work with someone who has the balls to tell them no when needed."

Exactly! Its such a shame these songs and this producer weren't kept for a stones project. Now that would have been great....

Date: January 11, 2010 12:25

Hillside Blues
Rialb

Was it ever released on CD??? I've never even seen WS on CD. I only have it on vinyl.

So the answer is of course yes.

What? I've never seen it on vinyl...

Posted by: Filip020169 ()
Date: January 11, 2010 12:37

James Kirk - "It's not a coincedence that Jagger worked on this album with a producer who wasn't just another yes man and created a great album because of it. The Stones need to work with someone who has the balls to tell them no when needed."

...Wasn't "Wandering Spirit" the album where Jagger started working with Rick Rubin, but soon dismissed the latter for being too 'involving' and overall too 'cocky' for his tatste (should read: Jagger don't take 'no' for an answer when being in the studio...)?!

I always heard about that story/ rumour, but never been sure if it's true or not.

Date: January 11, 2010 13:49

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: January 11, 2010 15:31

Great great album. One of my fav records of all time. Jagger seldom sounded better. And the production is nothing but excellent.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 11, 2010 16:32

I thought some tracks on Primitive Cool are good, it's just overall the album is awful. It's not something - people have only borrowed Wandering Spirit from me if that helps.

Date: January 11, 2010 16:35

A fantastic album. Mick's answer to the critics that bashed him for the two previous albums.

Only bad thing about the album is that some of the songs should have been included on a stones album, imo winking smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 11, 2010 17:03

I like a few from STB and PC, but this one is great. Didn't like GITD much.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1192
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home