Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: ac/dc concert sells out in 12 minutes
Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: January 11, 2010 18:28

I,ve seen AC/DC twice in Switzerland, both times I got a free ticket (i would never pay to see them). Both shows were exactly the same, exciting for the first ten minutes, then boring.
AC/DC attract the same audience as Phil Collins and Bon Jovi, cloth eared middle aged people who know nothing about music but like to go to an "event" AC/DC is a circus act, part of the Stones audience is of course also the same, but the Stones audience is at least mixed with a lot of people with musical taste.
AC/DC are funny though, they should get an award for the worst lyrics in rock Inject the Venom is a classic, it makes Spinal Tap sound intelligent. The Stones going on stage with those clowns was an all time low, if you had told me in the seventies that would one day happen i would never have beleived it.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: January 11, 2010 18:43

No Expectations
Geez, every time an Ac/Dc post comes up this clown comes out of his cave!

Laughing my arse off. Well, I think it's kinda entertaining with this stuff about Stones vs AC/DC. Keep 'em coming, guys!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 11, 2010 19:25

" Keep 'em coming, guys!"

OK : Angus Y. is a priapic dwarf!

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: January 11, 2010 21:15

dcba
" Keep 'em coming, guys!"

OK : Angus Y. is a priapic dwarf!

True, he's not a paedo though

1-0 AC/DC

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: January 12, 2010 00:54

chenry9195
Taylor Swift sold out MSG in less than a minute.

But, how many tickets were released during the "real" on-sale ? Taylor Swift's manager may have pre-sold 8,000 tickets to scalpers ?

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: January 12, 2010 01:08

Bingo
AC/DC still has Bonn Scott's family on the payroll. I always admired them for that!
a bit like the Stones with Brian and Stu...........................no?

sc uk

Posted by: mariannerl ()
Date: January 12, 2010 07:43

humanriff77
I,ve seen AC/DC twice in Switzerland, both times I got a free ticket (i would never pay to see them). Both shows were exactly the same, exciting for the first ten minutes, then boring.
AC/DC attract the same audience as Phil Collins and Bon Jovi, cloth eared middle aged people who know nothing about music but like to go to an "event" AC/DC is a circus act, part of the Stones audience is of course also the same, but the Stones audience is at least mixed with a lot of people with musical taste.
AC/DC are funny though, they should get an award for the worst lyrics in rock Inject the Venom is a classic, it makes Spinal Tap sound intelligent. The Stones going on stage with those clowns was an all time low, if you had told me in the seventies that would one day happen i would never have beleived it.

Thank you. Next time you can give me one of your free tickets. That would help us both. smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: bax ()
Date: January 12, 2010 10:11

humanriff77

"people who know nothing about music"...wow...at least now we know something more, after your post...thank you mr. rock'n'roll...

anyway i will enjoy my first ten minutes of AC/DC live...than i'll walk into a bar and have a few drinks on my 140.-- CHF thrown away smileys with beer

Date: January 12, 2010 11:42

"the Stones audience is at least mixed with a lot of people with musical taste"

The old "Stones fan are smart/ACDC fans are junk" dichotomy is back! Well sorry to disappoint you but in MY social environnement when I whisper I am a Stones fan ppl look down on me and say "you're pretty smart, how can you like that crap" smoking smiley

In other words if you, as a Stones fan, think you're at the top of the musical food chain... well think twice, you'll always be someone's a**hole!

Date: January 12, 2010 11:44

Assessing ACDC on the strenght of their current 2000's shows is like assessing the Stones by attending one of their 2007 Euro shows!

Date: January 12, 2010 12:00

I don't see how. AC/DC are playing great in the 2000's

Date: January 12, 2010 13:23

"cloth eared"
to me being cloth-eared is not aknowledging the giant amount of talent behind trax like "Back In Back" "Highway To Hell" "Nervous Shakedown" "Safe in NYC" and plenty others. smileys with beer

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: January 12, 2010 14:13

Here some subtle lyrics for the ladies from the Shakespeares of rock "SINK THE PINK" LOL smiling smiley

Put your gear into fire
Lay your bullets on the ground
Turn your head to desire
There's a woman going down
She said she'll rough you up, all the way
And she gonna spit you out, count your days
She says choice is yours, casually
So why don't you do what comes naturally

CHORUS:
Sink the pink, it's all the fashion
Drink the drink, it's old-fashioned
Gimme water, gimme wine
Gonna show you a good time
Sink the pink
Sink the pink

Got a fever runnin' high
Give you wings to make you fly
She school you like a fool
She make you break the rules
She wanna get a shot, hit the spot
Then I'm gonna rack 'em up, get that hot
She said make it good, satisfy
You know that woman got jealous eyes

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: January 12, 2010 19:48

Hey Humanriff,

why don't you go away and read the classy lyrics to "Sparks will fly".

People in glass houses and all that.

Oh and stop insulting ac/dc fans - like you know best.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: January 12, 2010 20:31

When starts the sell of the stones concerts?

Date: January 12, 2010 23:11

they wont announce anything whilst the kings of rock n roll are still on the road. so maybe sept/oct onwards i guess

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 12, 2010 23:14

humanriff77

thumbs up

Date: January 13, 2010 02:20

You're right in some ways. Because Jagger's regreted taking Keef's advice and asking AC/DC to do those 4 gigs back in 2003 ever since.

Sure they helped em shift the other half of the tickets, but never has a band been so shown up by its supposed 'support' act.

Hockenheim was uncomfortable for the Stones, but Toronto was just plain embarassing

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 13, 2010 02:23

Ask me if I care!!!

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: January 13, 2010 18:06

Doxa wrote:

"The recognition and success - or the recognition of the success - of AC/DC is an intersting phenomeonon of recent years. They sell almost like U2."

Like U2 ?? Do you mean ticket sales ?? Doxa, you must be kidding...

Numbers taken from Billboard magazine, as for 2009 tours:

AC /DC, total attendance 1,583,143. Number of shows 76, Number of sellouts 52.

No bad analogy, especially if these 24 gigs were close to sellout. But considering the paricular (not high) level of attendance (20,831 par show) i cannot see any "huge succes" or "phenomenon" so far. And for sure there's no comparison between AC / DC and U2 current tours.

Even Bruce, who has toured to death in the last years, seems to do slighty better than AC / DC. His 2009 numbers: attendance 1,736,926. Shows 72 (sellouts 42). That does mean 24.123 par show.

BTW, 8 months ago i went to AC/DC gig in Athens. Despite the fact that they did their first concert in Greece ever, the attendance was 55,000 at best in the 80,000 capacity Olympic Stadium. And, believe me, in Greece there is a huge enough hard rock fan base. I'm sure that in other cases and in other countries they sell better, but how could we deny the clear general picture?

The same old story... Every time we have a famous band on the road after some years of abstinence from touring, managment's propaganda is creating myths about "huge attendances", "incredible sales", etc. At the end of the day (or of the year) we see that reality is different.

PS: my impressions from AC / DC show? Mediocre. No singer (actually his voice is almost lost). One man show (Angus), but in many, many cases what i could hear was volume instead of notes. And that was really annoying.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 13, 2010 18:16

Malcom and Angus can still play their songs.

Date: January 13, 2010 19:09

The Greeks wouldnt know a good rock band if it sat on their shoulders and dropped a vine leaf log down the back of their shirt

Dont blame the DC for that. They probably prefer Iron Maiden over there

Long live the kings of rock n roll

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 13, 2010 19:27

stickydion
Doxa wrote:

"The recognition and success - or the recognition of the success - of AC/DC is an intersting phenomeonon of recent years. They sell almost like U2."

Like U2 ?? Do you mean ticket sales ?? Doxa, you must be kidding...

Numbers taken from Billboard magazine, as for 2009 tours:

AC /DC, total attendance 1,583,143. Number of shows 76, Number of sellouts 52.

No bad analogy, especially if these 24 gigs were close to sellout. But considering the paricular (not high) level of attendance (20,831 par show) i cannot see any "huge succes" or "phenomenon" so far. And for sure there's no comparison between AC / DC and U2 current tours.

Even Bruce, who has toured to death in the last years, seems to do slighty better than AC / DC. His 2009 numbers: attendance 1,736,926. Shows 72 (sellouts 42). That does mean 24.123 par show.

BTW, 8 months ago i went to AC/DC gig in Athens. Despite the fact that they did their first concert in Greece ever, the attendance was 55,000 at best in the 80,000 capacity Olympic Stadium. And, believe me, in Greece there is a huge enough hard rock fan base. I'm sure that in other cases and in other countries they sell better, but how could we deny the clear general picture?

The same old story... Every time we have a famous band on the road after some years of abstinence from touring, managment's propaganda is creating myths about "huge attendances", "incredible sales", etc. At the end of the day (or of the year) we see that reality is different.

PS: my impressions from AC / DC show? Mediocre. No singer (actually his voice is almost lost). One man show (Angus), but in many, many cases what i could hear was volume instead of notes. And that was really annoying.

You are probably right in this one. My judgment was not based on statistical facts but more like "sensing the climate" or something. Maybe there is not much difference in their popularity but more like the media giving more attention to them. Perhaps something to do with their propaganda department...

- Doxa

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: January 13, 2010 19:37

Although AC/DC died with Bon Scott, I gotta say that they really rocked hard in Toronto in 2003.
And that ain't no lie. I still can't believe that Justin Timberlake played with our boys. JEEEEZ!!!

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: January 13, 2010 19:58

i thought it was awesome when the stones and justin timberlake played together. the man has talent. i was surprised by his set before. i was expecting him to come out and dance around a chair doing lame n'sync songs, but he was actually decent. he was funky. if it had been the stones featuring ashlee simpson, then that's another story...

Posted by: openthedoor ()
Date: January 13, 2010 23:14

...yeah timberlake was awesome...
...one of the best performer of all the time...
thanks god the stones regogniced his amazing talent...smiling smiley

To ACDC: If AC/DC dont change the setlist now for
the last part of the tour then Im not sure anymore if theyre
human or roboters...and yeah the lyrics of sink the pink are funny.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 14, 2010 00:11

One must remember that the majority of AC/DC's tour has been arenas as opposed to U2 doing stadium shows so you can't really compare the two. In Vancouver, AC/DC sold out GM Place, 15000, in 4 minutes, which is a record. That was on the first leg of their tour in 2008. They came back a few months ago and sold out BC Place across the street in under 1 hour. That was around 50000. Some of their final shows in the States recently didn't even sell out arenas. They did just do 3 shows Riverplate in Buenos Aires which didn't quite sell out. I think their upcoming Aussie tour will be the biggest rock tour ever down there.

Date: January 14, 2010 03:16

they still did 3 nights at River Plate to at least 120,000 so something must've been right

as you say, in Europe they can sell out stadiums no problem. why this last leg of the US arena tour hasnt sold out is anyones guess

my view is the yanks just dont know what the @#$%& they're on about

which lets be honest. seems pretty spot on

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 14, 2010 07:31

AC/DC is the most one dimensional band in history - don't get me wrong when the mood strikes me they are great but please as musicians they are not very imaginative every song they have sounds the same as it did in 1974. One exception their real frontman is not their they have a poser singing. I can not sit down and put these guys on and listen to a whole album. For Those About to Rock being played prior to a Patriots game at Foxboro stadium yes its great but to sit down and compare these guys with rock icons is insipid and stupid.

Posted by: folke ()
Date: January 14, 2010 09:36

That's why we love AC/DC: they never change. Why would they? They just do what they do best, and that is to rock. And that's all they can do, they say. They would fail miserably if they flirted with disco, country, funk and all that.

Don't we love when a band says "For the next album we're going back to our roots". AC/DC is always at their roots. smiling smiley

Rolling Stones have tried a lot of different musical genres, and some to success, but when do we enjoy them the most? When they play rock music of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-14 09:40 by folke.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2457
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home