Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: ac/dc concert sells out in 12 minutes
Posted by: Hasse78 ()
Date: January 14, 2010 09:51

stickydion
Doxa wrote:

BTW, 8 months ago i went to AC/DC gig in Athens. Despite the fact that they did their first concert in Greece ever, the attendance was 55,000 at best in the 80,000 capacity Olympic Stadium. And, believe me, in Greece there is a huge enough hard rock fan base. I'm sure that in other cases and in other countries they sell better, but how could we deny the clear general picture?

The concert in Greece that you concider a flop was most likely the biggest hard rock concert in the history of Greece.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: January 14, 2010 18:24

slew
AC/DC is the most one dimensional band in history - don't get me wrong when the mood strikes me they are great but please as musicians they are not very imaginative every song they have sounds the same as it did in 1974

This is why they're the biggest rock band on the planet

They know what they like and they do it better than anyone else

If you can't grasp that, there is no hope for you

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 14, 2010 18:43

-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-14 19:30 by dcba.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 14, 2010 19:16

Doxa
The recognition and success - or the recognition of the success - of AC/DC is an intersting phenomeonon of recent years. They sell almost like U2. When their forecoming gig in Finland was advertised in our local paper they were called "the biggest rock and roll band in teh world" - it seemingly had the implicit edgy claim that AC(DC actually is what the Stones are just called...

Perhaps it is a sign that there isn't really many constant hard rocking strong bands any longer, and AC/DC - a band that hasn't invited a fresh riff or idea for some 30 years, and is based one-track idea of hard rock, and whose conservative setlist makes The Stones look an avantgarde orchestra - is like a true survivor who hasn't made any 'compromises' to their energetic nature. Perhaps - to speculate som more - the case of AC/DC is like with many of these 70's born rock groups - to think of Kiss or Iron Maiden, etc. - that go under the label of 'hard rock' is that they have born with a quite basic and limited idea of rock, and they never escape too far from it - well, occasionally some go to pop, like Aerosmith - so their 'idea' is very easy to sell to masses and to be grasped by them. People surely know what they are going to get when they go to their concerts. Works very well these days. Especially when all the Beavises and Buttheads are quite wealthy these days... grinning smiley

- Doxa
good post

Posted by: MARSBAR ()
Date: January 14, 2010 19:27

AC/DC are a nice bunch of guys...I hope they do well,and I can assure you the STONES would agreethumbs up

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 14, 2010 19:32

This thread reeks of social racism against "low-brow" ACDC fans by "high-brow" (ahem) Stones fans.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: January 14, 2010 19:41

Honestly, who gives a fvck if your into AC/DC, Justin Timberlake, or The Stones.

Just as long as everybody's happy and have a few beers, smoke a few joints and have plenty of sex, it's pretty damned fine with me.

Date: January 14, 2010 19:42

dcba
This thread reeks of social racism against "low-brow" ACDC fans by "high-brow" (ahem) Stones fans.
Now thats DEEP!!very deep man.smoking smiley

Date: January 14, 2010 19:43

The Stones
Honestly, who gives a fvck if your into AC/DC, Justin Timberlake, or The Stones.

Just as long as everybody's happy and have a few beers, smoke a few joints and have plenty of sex, it's pretty damned fine with me.
HEY HEY HEY!!!!!Justin is pushing it a bit far!!grinning smiley

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 14, 2010 22:15

Further to my first post:
Riverplate Stadium Dec 2,4,6 2009 $9192250
170630 attendance 191649 capacity.

From Pulse Music Board.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: January 15, 2010 01:04

never did see them live unfortunately. BUT do have that Filmed concert where they open w Thunderstruck...wonderfully shot . panaramic majestic...sound is way effin GREAT. for me anyway, not a boring minute in the whole longass show.

Date: January 15, 2010 02:37

yeah but that was scab AC/DC with that bald grooveless twat on the drums

the only real AC/DC is with Rudd on the tubs.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 15, 2010 08:40

When I saw AC/DC in Vancouver on the Razor's Edge tour (3 shows), I thought that Chris Slade really gave them a kick in the pants and the band played all their songs at a quicker tempo. Now when I watch the Donington DVD, I really don't like that style, especially on songs like Let There Be Rock. Still can't believe how awesome that crowd is at the beginning of Thunderstruck. One big sea of jean jackets all headbanging in unison!

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 16, 2010 03:56

Andy JS - I knew I could get a rise out of you!!!!

Date: January 16, 2010 11:48

Its a pleasure Slew thumbs up

DGA35 - They've always been my favourite band since I was a kid, 8 in fact. But that Razors Edge tour just didnt work for me (or the awful album)

I like my DC with Phil Rudd laying down the groove. Slade did add something different, but it wasnt something I liked

Hvaing said that, it was good to be in the crowd at that Donington show. And it looks like they're returning this summer to do it again for the 4th time

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: January 16, 2010 11:55

Yeah, I was at the Donington show too. ACDC were the end of a long hard drinking day. They were great, but the DVD flatters them - it is so well filmed and makes the band appear more energetic than they actually were. Or maybe I was just knackered myself! Anyway, preferred Hampden this go round. If they do Donington again, I'll be there.

Date: January 16, 2010 18:39

Andy JS - I do like AC/DC they are a really good hard rocking band. For my own personal taste I can't sit down and listen to them all of the time but they can rock.

Date: January 16, 2010 18:56

Good lad. I completely understand some people don't like just ROCK ROCK ROCK

They like things mixed up a bit

But its exactly the reason I love AC/DC!

Date: January 16, 2010 22:57

They are great on roadtrips and I've never seen them live and I would like to.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: January 17, 2010 20:07

dcba
Assessing ACDC on the strenght of their current 2000's shows is like assessing the Stones by attending one of their 2007 Euro shows!

The difference is Angus and Malcolm can still play their intruments and never mailit in..........

Date: January 17, 2010 20:16

The Stones
Although AC/DC died with Bon Scott, I gotta say that they really rocked hard in Toronto in 2003.
And that ain't no lie. I still can't believe that Justin Timberlake played with our boys. JEEEEZ!!!

Considering some of their greated music came with Brian Jpohnson singing I find that to be a strange statement.....

Brain joined the band as they were getting ready to start recording Back in Black...According to an excellent article and interview with Brian in the latest Classic Rock album the band had most of the music written but no lyrics. Brian wrote all the lyrics for that album..

According to the article Back in Black is the largest selling album in history with 49 Million units sold...enough said I think.........

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: January 17, 2010 20:25

Back In Black is the second most selling album in history after Thriller, which has sold 110 million compared to Back In Black's 49.

Date: January 17, 2010 20:28

bernardanderson
Back In Black is the second most selling album in history after Thriller, which has sold 110 million compared to Back In Black's 49.

well then the article is wrong I guess.....still pretty impressive...

I am sure someone here knows the numbers...what was the largest selling Stones or Led Zeppelin album?? would be curious to know what the two greatest bands in RnR history sold..........

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: January 17, 2010 20:30

i think the article might have been implying that Back In Black is the biggest selling album by a band, which it is.

Date: January 17, 2010 20:55

bernardanderson
i think the article might have been implying that Back In Black is the biggest selling album by a band, which it is.

I may have quoted out of context the article states

"Back in Black" is the biggest selling rock album of all time, with worldwide sales now at a staggering 49 million."

Sounds like they don't consider "Thriller" a rock album.......

Also amazing it was in the Billboard top 10 for 13 monthes......

not bad for a band who died with Bon Scott.......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-17 20:55 by oldschool.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 18, 2010 00:44

No one with a right mind would consider Thriller a rock album. Come on.

Date: January 18, 2010 01:00

Well then there you go.......it is official...

Back in Black is the biggest selling ROCK album of all time at 49 million units and counting.........

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 18, 2010 01:07

Funny thing I never listen to it, actually I don't know the record........the only song I remember is Black Betty ............................just kidding

Date: January 18, 2010 01:18

Well come on Nicos get on that "Rock and Roll Train" and but the album..maybe you will be the one to push it over the 50 Mill mark....

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 18, 2010 01:36

On this moment I'm downloading the album and will give it a swing

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1095
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home