Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
How Could 'Rarieies' Have Been Better?
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 7, 2010 00:09

Silly question, I know. Toss the previously released on CD tracks that are on 70s and whatever, Collectibles. Aside from Through The Lonely Nights, Let It Rock and for me the live Flashpoint B-side I Just Want To Make Love To You, the album is a wash. Except for possibly someone who doesn't have the singles etc.

While I am a fan of the true remixes and would have loved to had the remix of One Hit on it along with a few others that have not been released on Collectibles or 70s (did we really need the edited 70s issued Mannish Boy, If I Was A Dancer and the 38 minute version of Miss You AGAIN? Or such 'rare' tracks as Wild Horses and, well, Love You Live's Mannish Boy) what about the non-LP B-sides? That would have been good.

And then any other tracks that were finished but not released, like Criss Cross Man/Save Me/Whatever Else It's Called, Drift Away and I don't know what else. But etc and all that.

If Universal reissues this one, think they'll fix the incorrect credits?

Re: How Could 'Rarieies' Have Been Better?
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: January 7, 2010 00:16

Rarities album sucked hard.
and whatever Criss Cross Man/Save Me is called, it's a great song anyway. I think the title just doesn't matter... I first heard it as Criss Cross Man and know it like that however Save Me sounds cooler. nevermind.

and I think Drift Away is not really finished. quite charming with its pace, sure, but that's still not it. smiling smiley

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: January 7, 2010 00:17

how could the album be better? anything not released from 1968-1978 would be okay with me. hell, even Dirty Works outtakes are good...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 7, 2010 00:20

It could have been assembled in a way in which the album title was at least accurate.

Half of the songs aren't even rarities. One is a Live Licks outtake, one track is the extended remix of Miss You - but for some bizarre reason it has been edited with one minute of it removed, rendering its inclusion utterly redundant. It also includes songs which are easily available on other albums - how can a song which featured on "Stripped" (an album which sold 3.5 MILLION copies) be deemed to be a 'rarity' ?

Basically, the album could as easily have been called "Sampler".

Including several unreleased songs actually defeats the purpose. That's more appropriate for an archives release.

To me, those remixes are generally a travesty - an exercise in gimmickry and a vanity project for studio geeks which have nothing to add to a Rolling Stones record and in fact strip a lot of the essence of the band's music away.

Quite a few alternate selections would have been more appropriate - although it didnt help that they apparently couldnt locate the master of 'I Think I'm Goin' Mad'.... eye rolling smiley

Nice idea for an album - appalling execution.

And dont get me started on the cover and the sloppily researched sleeve notes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-07 00:22 by Gazza.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 7, 2010 00:34

Ha ha!

I know it's been talked about before. I guess what I'm getting at is what songs, that people are aware of that are or were finished, were considered for but did not get released on this or that album...

The remixes that are not altered ie these silly stupid techno-beated-out shitmixes we get nowadays and have been getting since 1994 - no, the actual remixes, where they work the tune with things missing, edit it to highlight something going on in the song - like they did with One Hit or what, Too Much Blood? Those kind of remixes - real remixes. Of course, the remix of Winning Ugly is just as bad as any techno "remix".

And of course the B-sides. OK, maybe sans Anyway You Look At It. It seems MOST of their B-sides are bluesy or blues tunes. I still don't believe the master for Think I'm Going Mad is "lost". That's just too stupid.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 7, 2010 00:35

it could have been just about as good without ever having been released

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 7, 2010 00:35

Yes. It could have had actual rarities for starters.

Date: January 7, 2010 00:42

skipstone
Ha ha!

I know it's been talked about before. I guess what I'm getting at is what songs, that people are aware of that are or were finished, were considered for but did not get released on this or that album...

The remixes that are not altered ie these silly stupid techno-beated-out shitmixes we get nowadays and have been getting since 1994 - no, the actual remixes, where they work the tune with things missing, edit it to highlight something going on in the song - like they did with One Hit or what, Too Much Blood? Those kind of remixes - real remixes. Of course, the remix of Winning Ugly is just as bad as any techno "remix".

And of course the B-sides. OK, maybe sans Anyway You Look At It. It seems MOST of their B-sides are bluesy or blues tunes. I still don't believe the master for Think I'm Going Mad is "lost". That's just too stupid.

The 'missing master' thing isnt unprecedented. Springsteen couldnt locate the master for 'My Lover Man' which he wanted to include on his 'Tracks' boxed set of unreleased recordings in 1998, so he just cut a new version of it.

The 'regular' remixes are fine. The proper 12' version of Miss You, the single remix of 'All down the line', stuff like that. I also really like the dub version of 'Feel on baby'. There's a good extended version of 'Undercover' as well that I recall.

I just dont think that unreleased songs belong on an album called 'Rarities' because by definition for it to be a 'rarity' it has to have been released but is 'hard to find'. Can understand them including a couple as a bit of a treat for fans though. That kind of material though should primarily belong on a separate project of unreleased archives, however.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-07 00:43 by Gazza.

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: January 7, 2010 01:58

By remaining unreleased.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 7, 2010 02:07

Bill on the cover eating a couple of under-cooked steaks.......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 7, 2010 02:22

Gazza
And dont get me started on the cover and the sloppily researched sleeve notes.

The sleevenotes are where my signature comes from, to which my reaction upon reading it was "too bloody right it can"!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 7, 2010 03:02

If it actually had some rarities.

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: January 7, 2010 03:40

skipstone
Of course, the remix of Winning Ugly is just as bad as any techno "remix".

No way! Both the Winning Ugly remixes are awesome.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 7, 2010 03:45

A Couple of nicely finished tracks from the 1972 Live LP

Grab a few of the already mixed and ready to go Wyman Black Box project
"Gold Painted Nails" has a wicked harmonica on it...

Harder They Come on CD would be nice.

The version of "She Was Hot" they released early to radio stations...nice and long and a different mix.

Acknowlegde the 60s in some way...how about a live track from the "ya ya's" 3 shows we hadn't heard

OR

A live track from El Macombo we hadn't heard rather than one we had.

Posted by: chenry9195 ()
Date: January 7, 2010 04:32

Hillside Blues
skipstone
Of course, the remix of Winning Ugly is just as bad as any techno "remix".

No way! Both the Winning Ugly remixes are awesome.

I have never heard NY Mix can you email me it, you have no idea how difficult that track is to locate. I can trade you for a different rare b - side perhaps. My email is chenry9195@gmail.com.

Date: January 7, 2010 04:36

Munichhilton
A Couple of nicely finished tracks from the 1972 Live LP

Grab a few of the already mixed and ready to go Wyman Black Box project
"Gold Painted Nails" has a wicked harmonica on it...

Harder They Come on CD would be nice.

The version of "She Was Hot" they released early to radio stations...nice and long and a different mix.

Acknowlegde the 60s in some way...how about a live track from the "ya ya's" 3 shows we hadn't heard

OR

A live track from El Macombo we hadn't heard rather than one we had.

Harder They Come - Keith Richards Solo
Black Box and Ya Ya's - ABKCO Material

The other ideas are good though. To deal with the lost Think I'm Going Mad master tape, do what the Beales did and find a pristine 45 from a private collector and make a digital copy/transfer of it.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: January 7, 2010 04:49

the stones at their predictable worst, or best depending how you look at it

Date: January 7, 2010 04:49

chenry9195

I admit I know this but I have always wondered.
Didn't this come out of the Stones 1978 RCA sessions?
Is there not a single other Stone on it? How's that possible...

Hmmm

Date: January 7, 2010 04:55

Munichhilton
chenry9195

I admit I know this but I have always wondered.
Didn't this come out of the Stones 1978 RCA sessions?
Is there not a single other Stone on it? How's that possible...

Hmmm

Same thing for sure the one you need.

Date: January 7, 2010 05:20

chenry9195

?

That song has a whole different story to it

Date: January 8, 2010 01:13

Munichhilton
chenry9195

?

That song has a whole different story to it

It is similar though as there were at least 2 stones on it, possibly all of them.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: January 8, 2010 04:04

IMO The Lost Legal Live Tracks could have been a great Official Release instead of this onewinking smiley

HMN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-08 04:05 by Honestman.

Date: January 8, 2010 04:38

Honestman
IMO The Lost Legal Live Tracks could have been a great Official Release instead of this onewinking smiley

I think it was a good idea it just lost direction, I think it was an idea for a while, but they were talking about it agreed to a contract with Starbucks and began to record A Bigger Bang and someone not very skilled had to make it, and did an okay job. They could have done better, but there are a few previously hard to find tracks on there. You need to consider it was not meant for the fans who had purchased every possible single since '71, all of the tracks besides Wild Horses and Mannish Boy were out of print at the time of release, that was the CD's main issue (other than the booklet, and cover). If they left Wild Horses and Mannish Boy off they would not have needed to shorten Miss You, Harlem Shuffle, and Mixed Emotions. A second disc would have been great, but the release in America at least was meant for Starbucks. Every Starbucks compilation is brief and doesn't cover much other than the mainstream material.

Disc Two

01.) Winning Ugly (N.Y. Mix)
02.) I Think I'm Going Mad
03.) Out Of Control (Don Was Live Remix)
04.) Anybody Seen My Baby (Phil Jones Remix)
05.) 2000 Light Years From Home (Live)
06.) Jump On Top Of Me
07.) Terrifying ('12 Mix)
08.) Cook Cook Blues
09.) Play With Fire (Live)
10.) One Hit (London Mix)
11.) You Got Me Rocking (Perfecto Mix)
12.) So Young
13.) Angie (Live) [Bridges To Babylon (Japan)]
14.) Undercover Of The Night ('12 Mix)
15.) Bonus Live Track: (Either A CD Mix Similar To JJF Maxi of) IORR or Love Is Strong (from Voodoo Lounge In Japan film) - or both

If it's too long plop some on to disc one to replace the two unnecessary tracks.

Remember it is called rarities (not We're going to please all of our loyal fans by opening the vaults and releasing a 34 CD, 8 DVD, box set - eties, as many of you believe it is called)

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 8, 2010 05:00

But thats still not really "rarities" to most Stones fans I wouldnt think. Rarities to me means tracks that are either nearly impossible to find or alternate and unreleased takes.

Date: January 8, 2010 05:53

scottkeef
But thats still not really "rarities" to most Stones fans I wouldnt think. Rarities to me means tracks that are either nearly impossible to find or alternate and unreleased takes.

Look at it this way, without bootlegs, without extracting audio from DVD's, without trading on the internet, vinyl rip's, or copies of cd's how many of the 14 songs other than Mannish Boy and Wild Horses would you have had before rarities? If you would have all 14 Kudos to you, but Rarities was not meant to be impossible to find tracks, I mean it would have been nice, don't get me wrong, but it was tracks that were becoming more and more difficult to find.

Posted by: ajc68 ()
Date: January 8, 2010 06:12

I Think I'm Going Mad (B-Side) and the extended radio version of She Was Hot would have been two very nice additions.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: January 8, 2010 10:10

Rolling Stones - Rarities 1971-2003

1. Fancyman Blues
2. Jump On Top Of Me
3. Through the Lonely Nights
4. Let It Rock (live)
5. Cook Cook Blues
6. Wish I'd Never Met You
7. The Storm
8. I Think I'm Going Mad
9. Beast of Burden (live)
10. So Young
11. Anyway You Look At It
12. I Just Wanna Make Love To You (live)

Bonus Disc: interviews, video clips, live clips.

Nice pictures (incl. Bill and Mick T.), band commentaries on the tracks.

That's it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-08 10:13 by mr edward.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: January 8, 2010 12:50

They should have included unreleased songs like Honest Man, Precious Love, etc. and skipped the more than several time released songs like Live With Me, Miss You and Beast of Burden - then it would have been a treat to the fans with prevoius released / unreleased more unkown songs. That could also cover up for lack of new CD's the last 10 years.

Date: January 8, 2010 13:01

scottkeef

'Rare' means scarce or hard to find.

If they're 'alternate' or 'unreleased' then they're not 'rare'. They're 'unreleased'.

Different matter entirely and a matter for an totally separate project.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: January 8, 2010 13:02

They shouldn't have called is "rarities" but "specialties". Most songs were already published on albums.

A real rarity album should have included some more B-sites or even unreleased studio/live tracks.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1264
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home