Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

A.R.M.S. MSG 1983
Posted by: thomcats ()
Date: January 6, 2010 20:28

Hi,

Could anyone tell me if there exists a FULL visual recording of the A.R.M.S. concerts in 1983 in Madison Square Garden - December 8 or December 9?

What I've found so far is missing out on the first part of the gig - the one including Eric Clapton's set. It is recorded on the 9th of December. I would be interested to find it on account of 4 Stones being present here: Ronnie Wood, Charlie Watts, Bill Wyman and Ian Stewart. Clapton & Co return later on in the concert but at that time Ian Stewart has seemingly left the venue. It was evidently planned that he should have played with Jimmy Page and Paul Rogers on "Boogie Mama" - they explain this to the audience even - but when finding out that Stu has left, they call up Chris Stainton instead.

I know of course that there exists a cpl of audio recordings, but as said, I'm after a visual one.

Much obliged to anyone who can shed light on this question.

Cheers
thomcats

Re: A.R.M.S. MSG 1983
Posted by: Sway714 ()
Date: January 7, 2010 12:00

I was there. Ronnie was the only Stone one to play at this show. He played with EC. Beck blew Page & Clapton right off the stage...good thing he came on last.

Posted by: kevjan ()
Date: January 7, 2010 14:31

wasnt b ill wyman on bass and charlie on drums i seem to rememer that.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: January 7, 2010 17:09

Going from my memory, the recordings I have from London and San Francisco have Bill on Bass and Charlie on drums (Kenney Jones was playing some drums too). I can't imagine that not being the case at MSG.

Posted by: normanplace ()
Date: January 8, 2010 14:49

Of course Bill and Charlie were there. Most of the show is on a boot you can pull from a torrent site. Clapton was ok but Beck smoked the crowd. Page was uninspired. But what a fun show.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 8, 2010 18:24

well I don't know about any of the rest of you, but I try to keep my ARMS as close to me as possible, and that's right where they were in 1983!!

Posted by: barbequebob ()
Date: January 9, 2010 06:01

I'm not sure how many shows there were at msg, or which one I was at, but charlie, bill, and ron wood were definitely there.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: January 9, 2010 08:29

Cost of ARMS ticket 1983 Los Angeles,CA.-$30.00

Dinner at Sizzler Steak House - $20.00 with gratuity

Seeing Beck,Page and Clapton together on stage at the same time.....PRICELESS.

Great show!.

Posted by: peter ()
Date: January 9, 2010 08:37

4 cities..9 shows in the US...I believe there was an official DVD years ago from the UK show but is now out of print..my DVD is a boot...all this info is available on the www..I have pix from the SF show on my website..double 'click' image for extra info...peter..... pstupar.com

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: January 9, 2010 13:17

The DVD (and a 2CD) was out again last year from the 'grey market', not a boot nor seemingly legal. It's taken from the Albert Hall shows.

Posted by: MainStreetExile ()
Date: January 10, 2010 05:33

The MSG ARMS shows were December 8th and 9th, 1983. I was at both nights, the two best nights of my life. Charlie and Bill were part of the regular line up, Woody came on both nights as special guest. He spent most of his time onstage mugging and joking around with Charlie and Kenny Jones, who played simultaneously with Charlie -- unreal. Ray Cooper provided percussion, and Simon Phillips played drums with Beck. Stevie Winwood played the London shows that previous September, one for ARMS and one for the Prince's Trust, I believe. He didn't do the American leg, Cocker did. Chris Stainton playing the piano on Feelin' Alright, Clapton and Bill singing back up, then Jimmy playing on With A Little Help, the first night on the third anniversary of Lennon's murder...Stu didn't come out to play with Page and Paul Rodgers on the ninth in NY,but at the end of the show and tour on the ninth when everyone came out, even Glyn Johns, and how many times do you get to applaud him, Stu was there, he didn't leave the building, I don't know where he was when Paul was calling for him, but Chris Stainton was like a utility infielder, anything anyone needed, he provided. Beck was red hot, and Jimmy hadn't picked up a guitar in literally years until he joined this crew to support Ronnie Lane -- he was rusty,for Jimmy Page, but he drove us nuts. So many people rushed the stage when he came on that Bill Graham himself came out to clear the aisle -- he stepped on my coat. I never had it cleaned again. Pete Townshend was backstage wearing a grey suit, and refused to play or even come out at the end for the finale, the big poop.

A video with interviews and excerpts from the London shows were first released on two VHS,officially. Everything was recorded on the American tour, audio and video, but except for some of Beck's performances on YouTube, no one seems to have them. I don't know why they're so closely guarded, might have something to do with the fact that this low life witch who was in charge of the ARMS charity in the US stole most of the money, and most of what was raised by the tour was lost. Maybe there's some legal reason why no one releases these shows. It's a shame, two nights of pure magic, and to see Ronnie coming out to sing the last night with Kenny taking one arm and Woody taking the other...still don't know how I lived through those shows...

Posted by: riccardo99 ()
Date: January 10, 2010 10:48

A cxouple months ago a 6 cd set came out from Beano presenting both NY shows in exc.audience, here the setlists:

Disc 1: 1. Introduction, 2. Everybody Ought To Make A Change, 3.Lay Down Sally, 4. Wonderful Tonight, 5. Rita Mae, 6. That s Alright, 7. Have You Ever Loved A Woman?, 8. Rambling On My Mind, 9. Cocaine, 10. Don t Talk To Me, 11. Watching The River Flow, 12. Worried Life Blues, 13. You Are So Beautiful, 14. Seven Days, 15. Feelin Alright.
Disc 2, 1. Soundcheck, 2. Star Cycle, 3. The Pump, 4. Definitely Maybe, 5. Blue Wind, 6. People Get Ready, 7. Going Down, 8. Prelude, 9. Who s To Blame, 10. City Sirens, 11. Boogie Mama, 12. Midnight Moonlight, 13. Stairway To Heaven.
Disc Three, 1. Layla, 2. With A Little Help From My Friends, 3. April Fool, 4. Good Night Irene.
Disc Four: 1. Introduction, 2. Everybody Ought To Make A Change, 3.Lay Down Sally, 4. Wonderful Tonight, 5. Rita Mae, 6. Sad Sad Day, 7. Have You Ever Loved A Woman?, 8. Rambling On My Mind, 9. Cocaine, 10. Don t Talk To Me, 11. Watching The River Flow, 12. Worried Life Blues, 13. You Are So Beautiful, 14. Seven Days, 15. Feelin Alright.
Disc Five, 1. Soundcheck, 2. Star Cycle, 3. The Pump. 4. Definitely Maybe, 5. Blue Wind, 6. People Get Ready, 7. Going Down, 8. Prelude, 9. Who s To Blame, 10. City Sirens, 11. Boogie Mama, 12. Midnight Moonlight, 13. Stairway To Heaven.
Disc Six, 1. Layla, 2. With A Little Help From My Friends, 3. April Fool, 4. Good Night Irene, 5. Outroduction.

About a month ago a DVD-R came out also in Japan from J.Beck called ARMS Concert in USA featuring tracks from SF and NY 8 Dec.83 (Tracks 12-22):
1. Intro, 2. Star Cycle, 3. The Pump, 4. Definitely Maybe, 5. Blue Wind, 6. People Get Ready, 7. Going Down, 8. Stairway To Heaven, 9. Layla, 10. With A Little Help From My Friends, 11. Goodnight Irene, 12. Intro, 13. Star Cycle, 14. The Pump, 15. Definitely Maybe, 16. Blue Wind, 17. People Get Ready, 18. Going Down, 19. Stairway To Heaven, 20. Layla, 21. With A Little Help From My Friends, 22. Goodnight Irene.
Hopefully the rest of NY concerts will show up sometime.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: January 10, 2010 19:33

OK, this is a Woody knock, but I have a video of one of these shows and he's on stage with Clapton. Clapton gives him a nod to play and Woody comes up with 0 (zero), nothing. Clapton gives him this embarrassed looked like "That's it?" And he was omnipresent and clowning around, but Lane was his mate, so I guess he could play the host of sorts. But I have seen that before (once with Dylan), but he appears and goes through the motions of playing. It's astounding and shameless. He was so out of his league at those shows.

Posted by: thomcats ()
Date: January 14, 2010 23:38

Thanks for all this VERY interesting info - I especially like the post from MainStreetExile and envy you of course having been there for both nights. But evidently there is no full visual recording yet of the MSG shows. Well - anything is better than nothing but it would have been interesting to see and compare with the RAH shows.

Interesting also to hear from riccardo99 that at least part of the Dec 8 concert has surfaced, cos the one I have presently is from Dec 9. As you say - one can only hope for that the rest of the show will surface too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1401
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home