Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What was your very first impression of the Stones?
Date: January 4, 2010 11:00

Since it's the start of a new year...
I was a youngster in the '70s and what I saw were photos of Mick posing with make-up and with attitude tongue sticking out smiley (I had no clue about the other band members.) And, there were tongue logos all over the place which I thought kinda obnoxious .... The only song I really knew of theirs was "Satisfaction" which I did not particularly care for. So, my first impression of the band was not so good... Ironic since I later became such a huge fan.

Re: What was your very first impression of the Stones?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 4, 2010 11:07

Hey that's my kinda racket ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: January 4, 2010 11:33

i heard the stones all my life but never paid much attention . but two key events stick out for me. i remember in elementary school my music teacher playing between the buttons in class and with charlie basically in front of everyone else on the cover i thought he was the singer. (didn't know who mick was at the time) i heard songs on the radio like miss you, jumpin jack flash and emotional rescue and thought they were good songs but wasn't until i heard them live on a local philadelphia radio station during the 1981 tour that i got hooked.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 4, 2010 12:00

I was about 5 or 6, the mid 6-tees,listening songs like 19th nervous breakdown,have you seen your mother,paint it black, mothers little helper, heart of stone etc.. The Grundig radio in my mom's kitchen..I was bewitched.
I still remember that feeling listening the Brian Jones area. thumbs up

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 4, 2010 12:24

I was four years old, in the back seat of our Pontiac Tempest, listening to Satisfaction through an earplug from a transistor radio.

That's all I can remember.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 4, 2010 12:28

Edith Grove
I was four years old, in the back seat of our Pontiac Tempest, listening to Satisfaction through an earplug from a transistor radio.

What happened to your memory?

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 4, 2010 12:32

Amsterdamned
Edith Grove

What happened to your memory?

Don't worry, it has not gotten any better since then! eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 4, 2010 13:33

They had longer hair than The Beatles, and sounded rougher. Enough for becoming a Stone-fan 1964.

Date: January 4, 2010 14:11

Heard Worried About You when I was ten. Loved it!

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: January 4, 2010 19:06

My first memory of the band was "Honky Tonk Women", summer 1969. That & the silly cover. That song was played absolutely non-stop in New York that summer.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: January 4, 2010 20:54

My first memory of the band was "Get Off Of My Cloud " . Bought the 45 and played it until it was just about worn out . Still got the original PS and vinyl !

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: January 4, 2010 21:42

I was ten and saw them doing Honky Tonk Women on Top Of The Tops. I was absolutely blown away. Loved Jagger's sensuality - not that I really understood that at the time - and the whole image of the band. I saw them as dirty and rebelious and I loved it. When my mother started slagging them off for taking drugs I was even more interested.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 4, 2010 21:49

hearing 'The Last Time', in 1965..that guitar intro got me.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 4, 2010 21:52

Saw them on Tv singing 'Angie'. Thought they looked a bunch of ponces, to be honest. Especially the singer.

Needless to say I was hooked. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: January 4, 2010 22:07

How Young they were

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: January 4, 2010 22:20

I was almost 14 years old when I heard the Stones on the radio -Angie & Lady Jane -

Some months later I read the Anthony Scaduto book and was hooked by it .
First of all by the cover :

Then ,by the content as written on the back of the book :

A story full of noise and rage .Five young people ruled by the stunning character of a genius androgynous ,dark & light ,yin & yang ,angel & evil :Mick Jagger

Lastly ,by the "It's only Rock'n roll " video .
And "Satisfaction "

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: FolkyFireKitten1 ()
Date: January 4, 2010 22:25

They were funny!!!

I was 3.5 years old, my sister, who is 8 years older than I, had this poster on her bedroom wall and, I don't really know why, I was always watching it. I found them funny. Also, I remember we heard Satisfaction a lot at the radio at that time (1965)...

Date: January 5, 2010 00:15

My first memory, the Silver Train clip on TV in 73. I had never heard about the Stones before, and to be honest i didn't know anything about rnr. 3 minutes and all was said, i was a Stones addict forever.
My first live xperience? 1982, Paris. Was there queuing at 6 in the morning, nothing to eat or to drink (what a stupid young guy....), stand up the whole day in a very packed crowd with bad vibes. Alternate hard sun and rain, two warmup with a long long time between each band. The crowd becoming mad since the first seconds of the show. So wild that if you felt down, you were dead. At the end of the show, i thought to myself "never again". But i've seen them 53 more times since that. Never say never.

Posted by: stonesfan ()
Date: January 5, 2010 01:42

In 1964 I was 13 years young,listened often sneaky to radio Caroline and Radio Luxembourg,the first time I hear the Stones they knocked me out of my shoes,Not Fade Away, Walking The Dog,Route 66,I had 2 beatles singles,but this was so much better!!!!,there was only one problem ,my parents were ashamed that I liked this music,but I had to,it was so different after Presley,Cliff Richard,ect.
In august 1964,the "REM Island" an Illegal commercial TV station in front of the Duch coast,broadcast the 08 august Kurhaus Scheveningen Stones Concert,awsome I was a Stonesfan!!!!,and still am.

Posted by: Ferret ()
Date: January 5, 2010 03:29

I remember my dad spinning Jump Back. I thought that the vocals were too quiet in the mix and instrumentally it was a bit tame. Always loved Brown Sugar and the obvious ones, though.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: January 5, 2010 03:40

the 67 sullivan show for me, great stuff

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: January 5, 2010 04:15

1964, WLS radio in Chicago, Illinois. It was during the early part of 1964-the British Invasion-and a lot of UK groups were being introduced to teenage audiences on this station. The DJ played 'Congratulations" that evening, which was the B-side of their single. (Maybe he wasn't sure which side to play...) Anyway, I immediately liked the song and liked the band.
I liked all the subsequent hits they played on the radio, but went over the top when I heard "Satisfaction" in the summer of '65.
Things got worse when they released "Let's Spend The Night Together" in January of '67. I bought the LP and looked forward to the release of every new single or LP after that.
Was completely unrepentant and branded when I saw them perform "Gimme Shelter" on Ed Sullivan and have been a 'groupie' ever since, travelling to different cities to see them and collecting all the bootlegs, etc.
And that's my story....

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: January 5, 2010 04:54

I had just become a huge Beatles-fan during my last year in high school back in 97. One late afternoon I was visiting my uncle and found a book about the music back in the 60's. I can't remember the name of it but in there I found a picture of Brian Jones with the sitar and it blew my mind. Who was this cool looking guy then!? My uncle told me that he played with the Rolling Stones but that he passed away in '69. He borrowed me Aftermath and Beggar's Banquet and later that evening after listening to them I had found a new idol in Brian and a new great band to listen to. smiling smiley The picture of Brian alone made me buy a sitar...

To me the Stones certainly looked cooler than the Beatles - more like "we don't give a F" than the more artistic approach that the Beatles got in the mid '60's. With that said: I love them both and I never let them compete.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-05 04:55 by tonterapi.

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: January 5, 2010 05:44

They sort of reminded me of the DC5

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: January 5, 2010 05:47

I was born in 1962 and I'm pretty sure "Satisfaction" was the first thing by them I heard. That makes sense because where I lived, in rural Kentucky, that was the first song that was so huge it penetrated even to where I lived.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 5, 2010 05:47

That wicked Telecaster sound and Jagger saying 'goddam cold' in 1980

Took my 10 year old breath away

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: January 5, 2010 05:49

Seriously, I remembered seeing the album cover of 12 x 5 in 1964, and remember thinking that Mick Jagger looked like a girl. We weren't used to such long hair at that time, and I thought he looked a little odd. Dean Martin had the same impression when he hosted the Stones the first time on Hollywood Palace. I did get used to it, though.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-05 05:59 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: January 5, 2010 05:57

mysterious, deep, sexy, highly charged, wonderfully warm...a little dark wild in the best way. open invitation to a deeper pop soul groove than many of the black originals covered...say 'time is on my side' lip - synch on clay cole show and other indie tv the first trip over...this boosted the great allure of a pic of the very serious fellows (ugly they were called but we thought them charmed) in a glossy mag from GB right as the beat groups were on the charge in UK slightly before the american onslaught...charmed from the first...did not imagine the brilliance to follow with their first ten or so american singles...ohmyGod...

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: January 5, 2010 06:40

I was around nine years old. I liked the MONKEES best! Older brother was playing an album by this group called the Rolling Stones. Album was called Aftermath. I loved it asked for their next one between the buttons for my birthday.

Date: January 5, 2010 09:03

Twelve y.o. A very shy boy, Last months of 1972, I think.
Exile and L.I.B. reach my hands by accident. I hear the whole of Exile and don´t understand anything.

The emotions I recall on Exile: "Too noisy, full of edges , very trebbly, not melodically beautiful, un-harmonised, but yet very intriguing. There´s not one song there to be hissled after, but yet I liked that whinnng different voice on Happy, that sounded me akin to Lennon.Going to keep the album, I thought, but I couldn´t hear it for a year or two".

I decide to give them another chance and hear L.I.B.
Since it ´s a more melodic album to the ears of an Twelve year boy (we´re talking very ancient times, 1972 was pre-anything, and spedcially pre-teen "smartness"), then talk about a twele year old Beatlemaniac., although the boy always liked Lennon better than the rest.
Well again, I get intrigued about that nasal voice and even like "Silver" better than "Happy", although all those edges and stinging guitars kept kind of getting me upset and umcomfortable at the back of the song.Than I hear it again, and again, and the blues start to enter my skin. "Angie" then starts to play heavily in my country´s radio and I get finally acquainted more ..smoothly to that terrible Michael Phillip snarl. I buy "GHS" , get really in love with "L.I.B." and the n start to explore the second hand shops for the 60´s lot. of that band which, ]a year or so before, was only that "satisfaction" band in my child years.
They soon replace any uriah heep or Black Sabbath monster solos monster themed monster heavy riff rock TEEN delusions I had.

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-06 08:25 by Gibson Fender-Nanker.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1562
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home