Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Should they release the pre-samba SFTD version?
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: January 1, 2010 13:21

Sympathy for the Devil may be played in various ways: samba-flavored (official studio), guitar-leaded and rocking (GYYO), ageless and crowd-mover (self-indulging stadium version) -

Also, let's not forget the seminal track - the pre-samba version of One plus One Godard movie.

Nicky Hopkins organ contribution is ESPECIALLY fantastic, even scaring a little bit.

Of course, the movie material is all in bit and pieces, but it probably could be edited and remixed to four or five brilliant minutes - and MJ could finally fix his part after 42 years -

Re: Should they release the pre-samba SFTD version?
Posted by: alimente ()
Date: January 1, 2010 17:03

If memory serves me well, I remember a live version of Sympathy during the ABB tour with Chuck actually playing Nickys organ part at the start of the song.

Date: January 1, 2010 17:04

Interesting.

Could you post it?

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: January 1, 2010 17:17

I dunno if it was a one-off or played quite regularily, have to check it.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 1, 2010 19:25

I have Sister Morhine's Sympathy For the Devil and it is awesome it Mick and Keith could get together with ABCKO they could release an un-paralleld album of outtakes and the releases version as well it would be the most interseting release in years.

Date: January 1, 2010 19:32

slew
I have Sister Morhine's Sympathy For the Devil and it is awesome it Mick and Keith could get together with ABCKO they could release an un-paralleld album of outtakes and the releases version as well it would be the most interseting release in years.

I don't get it. Is "Sister Morphine" here the name of a bootleg?

Which song(s) and which takes are you referring to?

Date: January 1, 2010 19:35

Sister Morphine was a bootleg label that is no longer around. There are I think 4 takes on SFTD two of SFM, Still A Fool is on there, Dear Doctor takes 1,2 and 3. I have it packed away right now because all of my Christmas stuff is up in the house I'll grab it over the weekend and get the rest for you.

Date: January 1, 2010 19:46

slew
Sister Morphine was a bootleg label that is no longer around. There are I think 4 takes on SFTD two of SFM, Still A Fool is on there, Dear Doctor takes 1,2 and 3. I have it packed away right now because all of my Christmas stuff is up in the house I'll grab it over the weekend and get the rest for you.

Thank you very much Slew!

But I have sort if it, I listened to it this morning running on my tread mill - no joking! You don't listen to that boot in usual gyms

It just this SFDT take is in pieces on many boots - but the one CD you mention seems very close to the one I refer to - I have Parachute Woman also on that CD

I am glad you agree, there some stuff to arrange and properly release, better than the original Godard take

I like also on this track Charlie's drum effect - very atypical - sounds like some martial drumming of a XVIII century battlefield

Posted by: FoolToCry ()
Date: January 1, 2010 22:53

alimente
If memory serves me well, I remember a live version of Sympathy during the ABB tour with Chuck actually playing Nickys organ part at the start of the song.

it was at the opening night of the bigger bang tour in boston 2005.
no drum-samba-sample, real drums by charlie in the "ya-yas" style & chuck at the organ...real great!

Date: January 2, 2010 06:45

Joker - The drumming on Parachute Woman has an incredible sound to it.

Its also been released under the title RSVP

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: January 2, 2010 15:39

I like the version in the opening of one plus one with mick, brian and keith just strumming along with charlie

Date: January 2, 2010 16:58

That acoustic version is very cool. I also love hearing Mick tell Charlie come on you've got to come in on that part and then in the next take Mick gets frustrated with his own singing.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: January 2, 2010 18:08

FoolToCry
alimente

it was at the opening night of the bigger bang tour in boston 2005.
no drum-samba-sample, real drums by charlie in the "ya-yas" style & chuck at the organ...real great!

Are you sure that it was the opening night?
I have just checked my DVD of this show and you can hear the sample all the way through and chuck is at the keyboard with the piano sound the whole time

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1434
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home