Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
What is it that makes SWAY so special?
Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: December 30, 2009 15:50

I've just listened to this song, once again, and, everytime I listen to it, right from the first note, it touches me anew, so deep in my heart, makes me hold my breath. Anyone shares such emotions?

What is it that makes this number such an awesome, extraordinary one, what is it that gives it this special feel?

Re: What is it that makes SWAY so special?
Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: December 30, 2009 15:51

That what makes a great song.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: December 30, 2009 15:56

Well, my thought -- Mick's vocals seem very direct and emotionally honest and build nicely to that wonderful howling "hey, hey, now.." Charlie's very good tonight, Keith's bvs and, of course, Taylor -- IMO one of his 2 or 3 finest moments ever..
Very thoughtful arrangement, too. So, basically, everything just falls together in a natural way..

Date: December 30, 2009 16:03

What's
Keith's bvs
?

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: December 30, 2009 16:06

think he means "backingvocals"

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: December 30, 2009 16:06

This and Sister Morphine still causes the same effect on me.
Just carried away when listening to it.

Can´t describe it really,but that´s probably the secret behind ...

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: December 30, 2009 16:07

Great song from my favorite Stones' album.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: December 30, 2009 16:11

Got more than one poster here that uses "sway" in their name.

That says something for it's popularity.

Date: December 30, 2009 16:11

bvs = backingvocals: Wow, thanks for highlighting me, electricmud.

Just carried away when listening to it.
How nicely expressed, SFF.

Can it be that this number has never been played live apart from that couple of times in 2006? (BTW, weak performances imho.)

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 30, 2009 16:22

It's got such a beautiful rawness. It also appears, to me at least, to be a really clever song to write, coming out of nowhere. It's bluesy but not really the blues. Very strange song that I could imagine appearing on Led Zeppelin III or Four.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-30 16:35 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: December 30, 2009 16:31

I think the biggest factor is the songwriting. It's just a great song "on paper" -- it's catchy, got great lyrics, good chord changes, etc.
So, add to that what others here have mentioned:

- Great sounding, raw, no-frills arrangement that gets everything out of the song.
- Great singing with a spontaneous feel and lots of emotion.
- Wicked lead guitar by Mick Taylor which really tops it off.

Posted by: Ferret ()
Date: December 30, 2009 16:38

I think it's their greatest song, pity it's so shit live.

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: December 30, 2009 16:38

The stars in this number are Charlie and Bill though, specially Charlie. I almost fainted when I heard his raw and brutal fills and rhythms for the first time as a teenager. And the drumsound is just perfect for rock. When I discovered the fat roll exactly when the sound completely disappears I actually did faint. Noone else except the Stones play like this.

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: December 30, 2009 16:41

Bill is actually God-like on this number.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 30, 2009 16:44

One of my favourite Rolling Stones songs, as well
It's got real great punch; yet; it's not a "rocker" like most other songs with great punch - Sway just DRAGS the listener along with the music....like if one is riding on a horse, sitting behind the saddle - almost falling off....just like Charlie Watts' drumming is also just behind where one expect the drums to be at

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: December 30, 2009 17:23

At their very best, there has never been anybody to touch the Stones in terms of that magical, cohesive, collective embellishment of vocals, guitars, bass and drums, so perfectly in sync with that seemingly effortless, no-nonsense, 'getting-down-to-business' attitude that was so prevalent all those years' ago.

This magical track encapsulates all of those timeless qualities in one languid, laid-back, though ultimately joyous, bundle of joy.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 30, 2009 17:27

to me it's mick taylor's guitar.

Posted by: Rochdale3 ()
Date: December 30, 2009 17:47

It's all in the timing and the performance. I don't know if this was all one take or if there were any major overdubs, but I suspect that other takes never quite worked either before or after this one. Lightning in a bottle, never to happen again.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: December 30, 2009 17:49

dead.flowers

I've just listened to this song, once again, and, everytime I listen to it, right from the first note, it touches me anew, so deep in my heart, makes me hold my breath. Anyone shares such emotions?

What is it that makes this number such an awesome, extraordinary one, what is it that gives it this special feel?

It's not a coïncidence if I choose this song as my username...

Yes,I can say I share the same kind of feeling .
"Till the next goodbye" has the same effect on me .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: December 30, 2009 18:02

The impassioned vocal + the drums always get me.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: December 30, 2009 18:07

Somene asked MT about Sway last year in the audience session with MT. He said it was recorded at Stargroves, and when asked if it was done in the first take he said it probably wasn't. Most likely there were several takes, but with no overdubs except the strings and vocals.

I guess Sway is what the early 70s Stones sounds like without Keith...

How many other non-Keith tracks are there (apart from Moonlight Mile) ?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 30, 2009 18:07

This is a magical song. They were channeling the Gods on this one. Jagger's lyrics and delivery are emotional and honest. There is a longing and resignation in his delivery that touches one deeply (if he could only reach that place again). The backing vocals by Keith are the perfect complement. Charlie and Bill attack the rhythm with passion and precision. Jagger's under-rated powerful guitar track sets the stage for a song that musically manages to be both major and minor, hard rock and country all at the same time. I save the best for last, which is of course Mick Taylor's majestic performance...Those of you who wonder why we still pine for Taylor after all these years, just take a listen to this song - there's your answer.

Posted by: Buddha66 ()
Date: December 30, 2009 18:08

It is utterly hypnotic...as Erik_Snow said "...just DRAGS the listener along with the music..." And the line - Its just that demon life that’s got you in it's sway- epitomizes that sentiment

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: December 30, 2009 18:24

I also believe it's Greatness is in the fact that it leaves you wanting MORE, they cut it off WAY too short, thank God we have the Live version of MT Shredding it from
the Too Hot for Snakes CD

Posted by: kittypoo ()
Date: December 30, 2009 18:28

Mick Taylors Guitar . " It's just that demon life thats got me in its SWAY " Haven't we all been there ?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 30, 2009 18:41

The fact that MT plays two brilliant different solos in the same song. Very hard to achieve imo

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: December 30, 2009 18:57

I love everything about Sway. Jaggers vocals and Taylors guitar are simply sublime.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: December 30, 2009 19:05

The Stones
I love everything about Sway.
Go on ,go on ,I like it when you 're talking like that ...cool smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 30, 2009 21:07

my favorite mick taylor stones solo is cant you hear me knocking.that one to me is more special

Posted by: canadian.sway ()
Date: December 30, 2009 21:11

to me (a board member who has sway in their name) what is so special about sway is that everything that is right about the stones locks in a perfect storm.

the song is not #1 on the countdown material... but jaggers voice balances between torn and powerful. the riff is unlike other stones tunes, but rather the weaving just pulls you through the song, bill's work is so perfect you hardly notice it, it just feels right.
lets not forget charlie, probably one of the few songs where he really builds the momentum with his distinct fills.

the overall vibe is that everything the stones do right, and special clicks on this track. to me, unlike any other song in their catalogue.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1230
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home