Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Eagles & Fleetwood Mac to tour together (some Stones content)
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: December 20, 2009 03:51

The 1970's Rockers Prove Who Will Make it in the Long Run in 2010

Classic rock legends Fleetwood Mac and The Eagles are planning a summer tour that would bring the two 1970's rock legends together to play a series of concerts in football and baseball stadiums. It is not clear whether the Eagles or Fleetwood Mac would open the concert , nor is it clear who would close it. It also has not been announced whether or not the two bands would play together. No matter what the answers to these question, it would be undoubtedly an historic rock and roll event.

During their heyday, both the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac could sell out stadiums on their own if they announced that they would be singing the phone book. Even today, both acts are among the most popular rock bands on the concert circuit. As they combine forces, however, they will be easily the most most in demand ticket of the summer.

Rock and roll concerts have changed. There are really only a handful of acts, mostly older, at this point that can sell out large stadiums on their own. U2, Bruce Springsteen and maybe the Rolling Stones are the only bands that can still draw huge crowds. While the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac are huge draws on their own as well, generally their acts and music do not really translate to huge stadiums quite as well. Neither the Eagles nor Fleetwood Mac are rock spectacles, exactly. Both bands offer music that is lower key and even a bit more nuanced than the bombastic shows of U2 or Springsteen.

That said, both the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac are the authors of some of the signature anthems of rock and roll. There is nobody on the planet, it would seem, that doesn't immediately recognize the opening chords of the Eagles' Hotel California. Likewise, Fleetwood Mach has a seemingly inexhaustible catalogue of classic rock staples.

Of course, the 300 pound elephant in the room is the age of these bands and their fan bases. While both have fans across the age spectrum, the average age of each is well into the baby boomer range. It will be interesting, to say the least, to see sixty to seventy thousand greying (or greyed) baby boomers packing football stadiums rocking along one last time to the bands of their youth.

As the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac begin to announce dates and cities for this ultimate pairing of classic rock heavyweights, the anticipation (and some degree of skepticism) will grow. It will definitely be a milestone event as both play in their fifth (yes, fifth) decade.

Source: Chris Coplan, Eagles/Fleetwood Mac: Dream Pairing Eyed for Stadiums", livedaily.com

[www.associatedcontent.com]

Re: Eagles & Fleetwood Mac to tour together (some Stones content)
Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: December 20, 2009 04:28

Well, good for them though... they are at the point in there Careers where they
can just go on stage & fart & get an a Applause, but they are choosing to please the Fans and give them this Historical "Super Tour", this is 1970's "California Rock" reborn in the 21st Century.

Not my exact Musical Taste, but I like it

Date: December 20, 2009 06:24

i wonder how much tickets would be?

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: December 20, 2009 06:56

"Maybe the Rolling Stones"

Don't the Stones usually play venus much bigger than Springsteen?

Posted by: squando ()
Date: December 20, 2009 07:17

"Maybe the Rolling Stones"

?????

Does this guy live in a vaccum? Look at the last few tours. I know some stadiums didn't sell out, esp the silly gig in Chicago when it was about minus one million degrees, but even U2 have had covers over seats etc since the Vertigo tour for eg at Giant's Stadium.

Pink Flloyd could sell out stadiums and if the Who decided to go full scale so could they. Madonna is another one perhaps?

Anyways, the show will be wroth it for FM - Buckingham is the real deal.

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: December 20, 2009 09:11

god i hate the eagles. one of the most overrated bands of all-time. and fleetwood mac are going to tour with them!?!! that is just awful. shame on them.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: December 20, 2009 15:09

The Eagles aren't as bad as people may think.I find most of their albums boring but hotel California is a wonderful album, somewhat underrated due to the radio overkill of the title song.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: December 20, 2009 15:11

uhm well... I thought the Eagles finished career.
good for them but I wouldn't buy a ticket winking smiley

my love for Peter's Fleetwood Mac is huge, though... nannananana Oh Well!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 20, 2009 15:16

Attending this concert would be the nearest I could come to experiencing in this lifetime my own personal vision of what Hell must be like, except it would presumably not last for eternity. Then again, the memory of it would last a lifetime, so it's kinda the same thing!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-20 16:08 by tatters.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 20, 2009 17:00

Supposedly Tom Waits said about the Eagles, "they don't have cow-shit on their boots - they just got dog shit from Laurel Canyon."

Date: December 20, 2009 17:12

skipstone
Supposedly Tom Waits said about the Eagles, "they don't have cow-shit on their boots - they just got dog shit from Laurel Canyon."

One word sums up the music of the Eagles. That word is "passionless".

Date: December 20, 2009 19:16

HA HA!

A friend of mine, who plays the drums, got so mad at someone one night at a show that he got up from his drums screaming THE EAGLES? FVCK THE EAGLES! I HATE THE EAGLES! DON'T EVER ASK FOR THE EAGLES AGAIN YOU... and on and on.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 20, 2009 23:13

Thank you Tatters for expressing the horror so succinctly.
Stadiums? Hah!

Date: December 21, 2009 01:21

squando
Pink Flloyd could sell out stadiums and if the Who decided to go full scale so could they.

Decided to go full scale??? The Who can't even sell out arenas anymore. The Super Bowl will be their first stadium gig in TWENTY years. And they'll be playing to people who are there primarily to see a football game.

Date: December 21, 2009 07:01

skipstone
HA HA!

A friend of mine, who plays the drums, got so mad at someone one night at a show that he got up from his drums screaming THE EAGLES? FVCK THE EAGLES! I HATE THE EAGLES! DON'T EVER ASK FOR THE EAGLES AGAIN YOU... and on and on.

he was just mad he can't play the drum part to hotel california and sing it at the same time like don henley does. if he can sing i'm sure it doesn't sound that great.

people in this thread are funny. the band has no passion? so they've been playing music for close to 40 years and from day one knew what they were doing was going to make tons of money? hell no. they played what they wanted to and were lucky enough it caught on pretty quick. they have some of the best love songs in rock from the 70's and a few rockin tunes like "in the city" and "life in the fast lane"

Posted by: squando ()
Date: December 21, 2009 07:25

"Decided to go full scale??? The Who can't even sell out arenas anymore. The Super Bowl will be their first stadium gig in TWENTY years. And they'll be playing to people who are there primarily to see a football game."

I disagree. If they did the whole 'backed by Bud' thing and went about it like the Stones (or the Who themselves did in '89) they'd sell stadiums out. Obviously ticket prices would be lower than arenas etc. Btw, the word "twenty" is just as readable in lower case.

McCartney is another that could sell out stadiums.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: December 21, 2009 07:45

The Eagles and F(l)eetwood Mac on a double in 2010? That would be the latest sign that the end of days is near!

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: December 21, 2009 14:18

tatters
skipstone

One word sums up the music of the Eagles. That word is "passionless".

"passionless" = Don Henley

Posted by: RRMan03 ()
Date: December 21, 2009 15:02

Seen both of them many times.Just shut up and go. You will get you moneys worth!!

Date: December 21, 2009 15:39

keefriffhard4life
skipstone
HA HA!

he was just mad he can't play the drum part to hotel california and sing it at the same time like don henley does. if he can sing i'm sure it doesn't sound that great.

people in this thread are funny. the band has no passion? so they've been playing music for close to 40 years and from day one knew what they were doing was going to make tons of money? hell no. they played what they wanted to and were lucky enough it caught on pretty quick. they have some of the best love songs in rock from the 70's and a few rockin tunes like "in the city" and "life in the fast lane"

The only reason the two songs you mentioned are any good at all is JOE WALSH. If you like JOE, as I do, you're much better off listening to his work with the James Gang or even his early, pre-Eagles, solo albums. His decision to join the Eagles is one of the most perplexing career moves in rock history.

Date: December 21, 2009 15:46

squando
"Decided to go full scale??? The Who can't even sell out arenas anymore. The Super Bowl will be their first stadium gig in TWENTY years. And they'll be playing to people who are there primarily to see a football game."

I disagree. If they did the whole 'backed by Bud' thing and went about it like the Stones (or the Who themselves did in '89) they'd sell stadiums out. Obviously ticket prices would be lower than arenas etc. Btw, the word "twenty" is just as readable in lower case.

McCartney is another that could sell out stadiums.

I'm sure the Who would love to still be playing stadiums if they could, but it's really not their decision to make. The decision to play smaller venues was made for them twenty YEARS ago when the general public came to the realization that yet another Who reunion tour just wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 21, 2009 18:45

i love this sign me up for the eagles /fleetwood mac tour .sounds like a lot of fun

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 21, 2009 18:50

sounds like a great double bill - this one and the carole king/james taylor troubadours tour will definitely be fun in the new year....

Date: December 21, 2009 18:52

tatters
keefriffhard4life
skipstone
HA HA!

The only reason the two songs you mentioned are any good at all is JOE WALSH. If you like JOE, as I do, you're much better off listening to his work with the James Gang or even his early, pre-Eagles, solo albums. His decision to join the Eagles is one of the most perplexing career moves in rock history.

yeah i love joe walsh but does he ever even tour as a solo artists anymore? i don't find the eagles music passionless though. i like there stuff and they obviously enjoy what they do.

Date: December 21, 2009 18:56

The Eagles have done some very crafty studio work and are excellent musicians. But for me it's all rather a snooze. And yes, Joe Walsh is a tremendous guitar player. Don Henley is just, I dunno, not really sure. Boring. Boys Of Summer and all that. I've heard people refer to The Eagles as soft-cock music.

I remember one night I actually went to one of those blues jams clubs will have. I wound up playing Keith's part (yeah I even did it in open G) and singing Honky Tonk Women for the one song I did (I didn't know that that was what we were going to do, I thought we'd do something along the lines of Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters or Elmore James actually). So that was hilarious.

So then I sat in on drums at the end of the night playing some blues tune. Then the dude in charge did the last song. He mumbled something to me and away he went, really fast. I had the hardest time keeping up mainly because I couldn't hear very well, it was very fast and I had no idea what song it was.

It was Get Over It by The Eagles. I was pissed. That's not blues, it's garbage. When I figured out what it was finally I totally ruined it. I was astounded. That's not BLUES. How could any Eagles song be played in a club for blues night?

Fleetwood Mac, on the other hand, seems to be way more interesting.

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: December 21, 2009 19:13

I already saw this tour back in 1973. Tickets were $6.

Otherwise a great concept, 2 or 3 great classic rock acts, abbreviated sets with nice long beer and pee breaks in between, starts at 8:00 ends at 10:00 and all the old-timers get to be in bed by 11:00

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: December 21, 2009 19:28

The Eagles aren't bad. I would rather see the first incarnation of Fleetwood Mac again, with Peter Green and Jeremy Spencer. They knew how to play the blues and they rocked. I wonder if Stevie Nicks will still be twirling around onstage like a 3-year old in a fairy costume.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: December 21, 2009 20:20

Say what you will about The Eagles and Stevie Nicks, But Lindsey Buckingham is worth the price of admission! If the Eagles open, I will arrive late!

Ross

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: December 21, 2009 22:10

I said it recently after witnessing Fleetwood Mac in Glasgow - Lyndsey Buckingham is probably the greatest live guitarist I have ever seen. If you have seen him and didn't like it , then fair enough, its your choice. If you are posting here deriding Fleetwood Mac and have never seen them (this version) then I would ask you kindly to p**s off.

As for The Eagles. I've seen them too a couple of time. I dislike a lot of what they stand for. And yet, when you hear Henley sing Desperado, it is something to behold. It is also the song that Lemmy says best describes him!

It would be fair to say that the two bands have more functioning guitarists than The Stones these days

Date: December 22, 2009 02:38

keefriffhard4life
tatters
keefriffhard4life
skipstone
HA HA!

yeah i love joe walsh but does he ever even tour as a solo artists anymore? i don't find the eagles music passionless though. i like there stuff and they obviously enjoy what they do.

Yes, he still does solo tours when the dreaded Eagles aren't monopolizing all of his time. He also took part in a James Gang reunion tour a couple years ago.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2243
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home