Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Ronnie awakes
Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: December 7, 2009 16:27

One the one hand, I hope she keeps her pride and doesn't take him a back. On the other hand, I'm seriously concerned that Ronnie will just suicide if she doesn't...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 7, 2009 17:27

Roll73
The other reason I'm sure they would not 'sack' Ronnie is that they do actually need him.

From the gigs and footage I saw from the last tour (inc Shine a light) Ronnie was covering Keith's arse all over the place. I don't believe there is another guitarist alive who could do the job of covering Keith as well as Ronnie.
you my friend are someone who has been paying attention .i can not get over how much ronnie bashing that goes on around here .ronnie can play circles around more mortal guitar players in his sleep .the rub is the stones (mick and keith ) tell him when he can turn it loose .which is a shame in my mind.if the glimmers would revert back to the taylor formula where ronnie plays LEAD and keith plays rythum i think a lot of people would be blown away .ronnie can play with the BEST OF THEM.i for one dont read into to much if ronnie has been PARTYING .heck these are the rolling stones not the mormon tabernackle choir .

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: December 7, 2009 17:34

I kinda agree. May here just wanna hear solo after solo. RW plays an important part. Listen to SAL closely and once you get past KR you can here RW playing extremely well.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 7, 2009 17:39

while i am on it .there are a lot of people in this neck of the woods (ha ha)that think they know what's good for ronnie .we as fans know one side of the story .ronnie public persona and image .i for one have no false illusions about the stones going thru 12 step recovery and being clean and sober .as the saying goes the stripes on the tiger (dont like him woods that is)do not change .these guys are in there sixties .it's a little late now for pc behavior from the bad boys of rock and roll.i would bet money that when and if the stones roll out on the road ronnie will be on stage with his trusted two tone sunburst fender strat smiling and playing some real tastey licks on his strat ,and just hopefully this will be all forgoten about .remember on lead banana rocking ronnie wood !!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: December 7, 2009 17:45

Ronnie did a fine job on the last tour, especially after Keith's coconut incident.Of course, I'd love to see Mick Taylor rejoin the band but I think that they should keep Ronnie in the band regardless of Taylor coming back or not.The main concern here is whether Ronnie will be ready to tour next year given his current state.

Posted by: Jos ()
Date: December 7, 2009 18:33

I would wish to see the Stones in smaller venues next time around, and I can see them play with additional guitars by Mick Taylor and Dick Taylor (who plays a mean R&B guitar), Ronnie to prop up Keith and do his thing, and Leon Russell to add some real spark and swing .. dream on, but still smiling smiley

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: December 7, 2009 18:50

what a knucklehead

Posted by: Jos ()
Date: December 7, 2009 18:55

who, ronnie?

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: December 7, 2009 19:24

yep

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: December 7, 2009 19:55

The Greek
Roll73
The other reason I'm sure they would not 'sack' Ronnie is that they do actually need him.

From the gigs and footage I saw from the last tour (inc Shine a light) Ronnie was covering Keith's arse all over the place. I don't believe there is another guitarist alive who could do the job of covering Keith as well as Ronnie.
you my friend are someone who has been paying attention .i can not get over how much ronnie bashing that goes on around here .ronnie can play circles around more mortal guitar players in his sleep .the rub is the stones (mick and keith ) tell him when he can turn it loose .which is a shame in my mind.if the glimmers would revert back to the taylor formula where ronnie plays LEAD and keith plays rythum i think a lot of people would be blown away .ronnie can play with the BEST OF THEM.i for one dont read into to much if ronnie has been PARTYING .heck these are the rolling stones not the mormon tabernackle choir .

Glad someone else is in agreement. And you're right, this isn't some Xfactor boy band who would crumble under controversy - it's the F@*kin' Rolling Stones.

I saw Ronnie just a few weeks ago at the Faces 're-union' - admittedly not the gig it could have been, but he was great and you could see how easily he could step up to being a far more instrumental (sorry!) part of any band. He's a legend and so called fans should be glad that he's still here and still rocking.

Mick Taylor, fabulous though he is/ was, will never ever ever be in the Stones again. He's on a completely different frequency and in a different world now.

As far as the Stones go musically, sad though it is, Keith is the one that needs to get it together.

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: December 7, 2009 23:28

Kind've sad to see true love fall apart like this.

Posted by: dougie ()
Date: December 8, 2009 01:18

Two bottles of vodka? Wow, and he is a little guy. That is the stones main problem. Everything else is a secondary.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: December 8, 2009 01:38

The Greek
while i am on it .there are a lot of people in this neck of the woods (ha ha)that think they know what's good for ronnie .we as fans know one side of the story .ronnie public persona and image .i for one have no false illusions about the stones going thru 12 step recovery and being clean and sober .as the saying goes the stripes on the tiger (dont like him woods that is)do not change .these guys are in there sixties .it's a little late now for pc behavior from the bad boys of rock and roll.i would bet money that when and if the stones roll out on the road ronnie will be on stage with his trusted two tone sunburst fender strat smiling and playing some real tastey licks on his strat ,and just hopefully this will be all forgoten about .remember on lead banana rocking ronnie wood !!!!!!!!!!!!
my thoughts exactly,when did all this pc crap come about.i feel like i'm on the jonas brothers website."oh,my god he was DRINKING and fighting with a girlfriend.and he left his adoring little wife,please-mick and keith are probably laughing about this.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 8, 2009 02:41

what does "political correctness" have to do with alcoholism and domestic violence?

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: December 8, 2009 07:30

i missed this one:

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: December 8, 2009 13:57

Worrying... flat out on the floor. This time I'm not convinced he's able to get his act together in order to pass the medical tests before they can get an insureance for the tour. In that case, he's actually ruined his chances of getting back on his feet financially and healthwise.
His health worries me the most. The Stones can always call Nils Lofgren, and he'll come running, and do a fab job. Originally I was thinking of Jeff Beck, too, but he seems to be busy around the rehearsal and tour start.

Date: December 8, 2009 14:12

Ronnie will be back. Please don't take tabloids too seriously.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 8, 2009 14:32

Addicted
Worrying... flat out on the floor. This time I'm not convinced he's able to get his act together in order to pass the medical tests before they can get an insureance for the tour. In that case, he's actually ruined his chances of getting back on his feet financially and healthwise.
His health worries me the most. The Stones can always call Nils Lofgren, and he'll come running, and do a fab job. Originally I was thinking of Jeff Beck, too, but he seems to be busy around the rehearsal and tour start.

As a fan of both the Stones and the other band Lofgren plays in, I'd rather he stayed where he was - for the simple reason that I'd like to believe he'd be in a position where he's required for THAT band again before the next Stones tour is finished.

Agree with your opinions on Ronnie, though. Whilst obviously I don't know his medical details, I think people are just oversimplifying things by assuming he can just go into rehab for a quick fix (no pun intended) and then just show up for rehearsals as he's done so many times. This is big business and a lot of investment is needed on the part of some companies - especially during a recession. Medical clearance is certainly going to be trickier to come by for a man in his 60s, with his track record and who appears to be a downward spiral into oblivion.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: December 8, 2009 14:50

Tobacco will eventually become an issue with Ronnie.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: December 8, 2009 15:47

Gazza
Addicted

As a fan of both the Stones and the other band Lofgren plays in, I'd rather he stayed where he was - for the simple reason that I'd like to believe he'd be in a position where he's required for THAT band again before the next Stones tour is finished.

Agree with your opinions on Ronnie, though. Whilst obviously I don't know his medical details, I think people are just oversimplifying things by assuming he can just go into rehab for a quick fix (no pun intended) and then just show up for rehearsals as he's done so many times. This is big business and a lot of investment is needed on the part of some companies - especially during a recession. Medical clearance is certainly going to be trickier to come by for a man in his 60s, with his track record and who appears to be a downward spiral into oblivion.
About Ronnie - he's been diagnosed with emphysema - which indicates it's way over due to quit smoking. Does he? On the contrary - he's like a walking chimney.
He's been diagnosed with an enlarged liver, which could quickly turn into a fatty liver, and be of absolutely no use to him. Yes, it's a terrible condition, and most sane people would do anything in their power to stop drinking and pro-long their life. But Ronnie seems headed towards self destrution - and it's so damned sad to watch. I know what a great potential he has within him, but now there's nobody there to be strick and angry and get him back on track. Just people who hope to benefit financially from him. He needs someone firm and strong, and financially independent of him, to hold him down when his deamons kick in, and keep him out of trouble. Or else, I'm afraid we're gonna loose him, and that would be such a waste of talent, and he's actually a very sweet guy. When he's sober.

About Nils: Yes - I know he's an E-streeter. I love them too! But I think it still might work, because the Stones will break down the tour in 2-4 month long sessions (legs), and then take as much time off before they kick off on the next leg. He could perhaps get both gigs... ?
He really impressed me this time around with Bruce. Both musically and imagewise. A really cool cat that would blend in very well with the Stones. He litterally looks like a Stone already. And we all know that he loves them.
Anyway - let's just hope and pray (and I'm not even religious!) that Ronnie can make it to his gig. That he can get his act together - perhaps with the help of some of the Stones staff who has the b*lls to take the fight when he refuses to listen to reason.

Posted by: Filip020169 ()
Date: December 8, 2009 16:57

Greek, Roll73, lem motlow: I am mostly a 'reader' on this forum, but after reading yóur comments I'm happy to break that habbit: for what it's worth, I'm 100% behind your points of view ànd arguments. Can't tell you how happy I am to finally read something that goes beyond the naiveté that has silently grown to become the standard on most of the talks here at IORR. No 'Stone-throwing' at anyone, for everybody's entitled to their opinion (& their own mysterious ways to get one) in my book... But you, People, are a breath of fresh air.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 8, 2009 17:04

How does Keith keep his drinking problems out of the press?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 8, 2009 17:08

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-08 18:56 by Munichhilton.

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: December 8, 2009 17:25

Don't you think that Keith's drinking problems are possibly are part of his public "face"? Keith seems to be a pretty happy family man these days. One also hears from people who have seen him that he is an articulate, well spoken and well read gent - and then when he gets into public view he sways and slurs drunkenly.

I don't know the truth of this, maybe a handful of people on this board might have more idea than just speculation, but it makes sense to keep the legend going in public and have a very different private life...

Wood vs Woods
Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: December 8, 2009 18:28

Who would have ever thought that Tiger Woods would be more F'ed up that Ronnie Wood?

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: December 8, 2009 18:30

Who would have thought that TIGER WOODS would be more messed up in his personal life than RONNIE WOOD.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: December 8, 2009 18:55

reminds me of that great Jay Leno line from 10 years ago...

the worlds gone insane, the greatest rapper is a white guy and the greatest golfer is a black guy smiling smiley

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 8, 2009 18:57

Addicted
About Ronnie - he's been diagnosed with emphysema - which indicates it's way over due to quit smoking. Does he? On the contrary - he's like a walking chimney.
He's been diagnosed with an enlarged liver, which could quickly turn into a fatty liver, and be of absolutely no use to him. Yes, it's a terrible condition, and most sane people would do anything in their power to stop drinking and pro-long their life. But Ronnie seems headed towards self destrution - and it's so damned sad to watch. I know what a great potential he has within him, but now there's nobody there to be strick and angry and get him back on track. Just people who hope to benefit financially from him. He needs someone firm and strong, and financially independent of him, to hold him down when his deamons kick in, and keep him out of trouble. Or else, I'm afraid we're gonna loose him, and that would be such a waste of talent, and he's actually a very sweet guy. When he's sober.

About Nils: Yes - I know he's an E-streeter. I love them too! But I think it still might work, because the Stones will break down the tour in 2-4 month long sessions (legs), and then take as much time off before they kick off on the next leg. He could perhaps get both gigs... ?
He really impressed me this time around with Bruce. Both musically and imagewise. A really cool cat that would blend in very well with the Stones. He litterally looks like a Stone already. And we all know that he loves them.
Anyway - let's just hope and pray (and I'm not even religious!) that Ronnie can make it to his gig. That he can get his act together - perhaps with the help of some of the Stones staff who has the b*lls to take the fight when he refuses to listen to reason.

Every word you say about Ronnie is correct. The emphysema diagnosis, as I recall, was as long ago as about 2001. He was told at the time that if he didnt give up, he had about a year left! He's already on borrowed time as far as that goes, without taking into account his other habits.

Hard to stop a man from himself when he does it so often.

Posted by: turd ()
Date: December 8, 2009 19:56

"and most sane people would do anything in their power to stop drinking and pro-long their life. But Ronnie seems headed towards self destrution - and it's so damned sad to watch......"

Agreed - no one wants to die of alcoholism - but they do. Remember George Best ?

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: December 8, 2009 20:14

The man's an alcoholic. He's not the only one in the band nor in music generally. It's nothing new. The mind boggles how they ever get insurance but, again, nothing new. And it's never stopped them touring before now.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2123
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home