Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

40 years ago: 2 shows at MSG
Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: November 28, 2009 14:50

But I found this article about Baltimore 1969, posted some hours ago:

[weblogs.baltimoresun.com]

Rolling Stones in Baltimore -- 40 years later
This week in 1969, the Rolling Stones performed a sold-out show at the Baltimore Civic Center (now called the 1st Mariner Arena).

Now, 40 years later, here is The Baltimore Sun's recount of the show. There were fistfights and at least one karate chop to the throat, but somehow, no one was arrested. Oh, and the Stones played.

Rolling Stones Rock Civic Center
The shrieks of thousands of young females filled the Civic Center last night as the Rolling Stones, the English rock group, brought their brand of the electric apocalypse to Baltimore.

Mick Jagger, the head Rolling Stone, pranced out on the stage dressed in a red scarf, silver collar and a black costume amid the hysterical roar of the 13,000 persons who filled the Center to capacity ...

Crowd Mostly Orderly

Thousands more had been turned away in what was the Stones' first appearance in Baltimore in two years.

The crowd of youngsters was, for the most part, orderly, although one teen-aged miss leaped into the orchestra pit and nearly climbed up onto the stage before two burly guards carried her bodily to the sidelines.

Meanwhile, Jagger gyrated and leapt across the stage as he sang in an electric atmosphere of light and sound.

His four companions with electric guitars and a set of drums stood expressionless -- or benumbed -- by the giant sound which issued from a series of 9-foot-high speakers.

Swayed With Music

And in the final moments of a thunderous encore, several hundred kids climbed on their seats and began to sway in time with the music.

The Stones' act was preceded by B.B. King, who led a well-received funky blues group, and Terry Reid, who performed with another English group which was also well received.

During the B.B. King recital, a wild fistfight broke out between Civic Center guards and four youths whom they attempted to question in the mezzanine.

At one point, a youth who attempted to interfere was held over a ramp railing by a guard who karate-chopped him in the throat.

Councilman Robert C. Marshall (D., 4th) whose detective service works at the Civic Center, said that there were no arrests, but could not explain the incident.

No Arrests Made

About 30 youths had gathered around the struggling guard, screaming "Pig, pig, oink oink." One of the four youths, who had been sprayed with mace and clubbed over the head, managed to escape briefly, but was brought back into custody bleeding profusely from the mouth.

Captain Anton Glover of the Eastern district police said he thought the youths had been disorderly. He said no arrests were made, however.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-28 14:51 by straycat58.

Re: 40 years ago: 2 shows at MSG
Date: November 28, 2009 14:52

Rolling Stones in Baltimore, part 2

With the help of archivist Paul McCardell, here is one more clip about the Rolling Stones' 1969 appearance at the Baltimore Civic Center. This article, published on November 28, 1969, focuses more on the music and less on the violence:

Crowd Devastated by Rolling Stones
Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones devastated a sellout crowd at the Civic Center Wednesday night with basic, unsophisticated, harder-than-steel rock.

The show started an hour late, and was not helped appreciably by the appearance of Terry Reid, a British singer who looked and sounded like the Artful Dodger of "Oliver Twist."

But the pace quickened with B.B. King and his band, who showed a together audience where Mick and the Stones got some of their roots ...

Rubber-bodied and plastic-faced, Mick Jagger opened the Stones act with "Jumpin' Jack Flash," and "an old, old one," "Carol," an early Chuck Berry thing.
'Everybody Dance'

I've never been run over by a locomotive, but I know now what it sounds like -- "Midnight Rambler," which with its clean breaks made Terry Reid's blues piece sound like kindergarten singing.

Toward the end, Jagger said he was tired of dancing alone and asked the audience to shake theirs a little too.

"Everybody dance, everybody -- policemen too," Jagger said. He asked the police and audience to respect each other.

The audience rose and the Stones tore into "Queenie," another Berry tune, "Satisfaction" and "Honky Tonk Women."

Earlier, King, the blues king, had asked people to get together. By the end, they were.

Each of the Stones was superb. Mick Taylor, who replaced the late Brian Jones, drove good rhythm and lead guitar. Charlie Watts, on drums, Bill Wyman, on bass, and Keith Richards, on guitar, played their usual thing -- great.

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: November 28, 2009 15:33

Deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-16 03:55 by misterfrias.

Date: November 28, 2009 15:52

I suggest you to find the last SOME SATANIC TOUR which is a much better source respect to Devils Disciple and includes the Sam Cutler intro and Street fighting man. Only Little queenie is still missing, although we have no evidence it was played.
I would say that three sources with Little Queenie missing drive me to suspect it was included in the Baltimore setlist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-28 15:55 by straycat58.

Date: November 28, 2009 15:59

Deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-16 03:55 by misterfrias.

Date: November 28, 2009 16:08

this one:

[www.tapecity.org]

it includes both Baltimore and Boston in a double CD. Try it and I'm sure you'll be sexually satisfied, economically unsatisfied, philosophically...

Date: November 28, 2009 16:20

Deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-16 03:56 by misterfrias.

Date: November 28, 2009 16:25

sorry, I forgot it's also here:

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 28, 2009 16:43

Not really OT : a 1st gen of the 2nd Boston 69 show has been posted at Dime smileys with beer
(it's the DAC-015 tape but without DAC's "cool cool hand" grinning smiley

Date: November 28, 2009 17:38

dcba, what's the Dime link, please?

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: November 28, 2009 20:29

and I was there

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: November 29, 2009 05:43

Best show I ever saw. This is Baltimore 2006 February, and I had the gall to wear white trousers to this one but ended up fantastic>

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 29, 2009 11:40

The Menace of Mayfair
dcba, what's the Dime link, please?

[www.dimeadozen.org]

Sorry I didn't notice your req...

Posted by: peter ()
Date: November 30, 2009 05:33

I was also at this Baltimore gig in 69...took some pix but nothing worth posting..will post much better stuff from 72,75,75,81,89 on my website once the tour is announced...this Baltimore show was stunning btw...andI'm pretty sure 1 or 2 tunes were used on GYYYO...thanks for the newspaper reviews..will add to my collection...peter peterstupar.com

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: November 30, 2009 07:27

peter - please post your Baltimore pics...dont care how insignificant they are..

Thanks,
ER

Date: November 30, 2009 12:44

Deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-16 03:56 by misterfrias.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: December 2, 2009 11:58

I've never been run over by a locomotive, but I know now what it sounds like -- "Midnight Rambler," which with its clean breaks made Terry Reid's blues piece sound like kindergarten singing

That fire my imagination ? I think it's well written & put ,isn't it ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 992
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home