Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Ian Anderson's comments on 'The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus'
Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 24, 2015 21:27

Seems a bit odd that Zep would be considered as they had only been playing under that name for a month or two and their debut LP would not be released in the UK until March 69...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-24 21:27 by scottkeef.

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: January 24, 2015 23:18

scottkeef
Seems a bit odd that Zep would be considered as they had only been playing under that name for a month or two and their debut LP would not be released in the UK until March 69...

I don't think it was odd at all, if true. Jimmy's relationship with the London rock royalty was pretty solid during that time. Everyone like Jimmy Page. It wouldn't be long before the London Rock stars would go their seperate ways. In December 1968, many of rock royalty still called London home.

I understand what your saying though. Perhaps that LZ hadn't released anything, but you could say the same for Dirty Mac . . . it semmed like a very loose setting. Ahhh the good old days.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: January 25, 2015 11:03

Don't forget John Paul Jones had played w/them the prior year on TSMR.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 25, 2015 11:30

Jethro Tull Singer Calls Rolling Stones Circus Gig 'Boring'

HAHAHAHAAAARKAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOARKARKHARK...Wait till I tell Jethro tull Singer what I call their @#$%& albums...it won't be enough with just boring I can tell...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 25, 2015 12:50

If memory serves it was Bill Wyman who had suggested Led Zeppelin. Or that's what I recall him claiming in STONE ALONE. He was very fond of the band at the time.

By the way, Johnny Cash was also invited, but he declined.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-25 12:53 by Doxa.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 25, 2015 13:53

Cash would have been incredible. He does a great version of No Expectations.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: January 25, 2015 15:44

Can't see why people slams Anderson here.
The headline is obviously taken out of context.
He says that the whole waiting between the performances is boring, not the performances itself. Have you read the interview at all, before you start bashing?

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 25, 2015 22:51

The film was worth releasing because:
1. It was the last time Brian appeard and performed with the group (in public)
2. Yer Blues
3. Mick and Lennons pisstake of Allen Klein.

Date: January 26, 2015 01:19

I think it is boring and the stones performances seem a little off.....so I do agree with the Jethro Bodine guy.....

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 26, 2015 01:44

Making a movie is boring for everybody.........you wait more then you actually work..........and you must see R&RC in the time they filmed it............for me I like it allot,waited for years and years this one was released after seeing dozens of pictures.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 26, 2015 02:31

No one mentions the Dirty Mac performance of Yer Blues. Worth it for that alone. And yes, the Stones were burnt out by the time to film their performance. And yes, Brian is hardly there and would have raised questions. No one had ever seen him that shockingly out of it, his last public appearance being their triumph at NEMS in May.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 26, 2015 03:39

jlowe
The film was worth releasing because:
1. It was the last time Brian appeard and performed with the group (in public)
2. Yer Blues
3. Mick and Lennons pisstake of Allen Klein.

Yes, especially 1 and more so 2, imo.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: January 26, 2015 04:56

Think about it. At that point in time no one had ever seen somewhat fall apart right in front of you in showbiz. It was obvious that there was something wrong with Brian. I don't know what the plan was for the concert. Wasn't it supposed to be a Christmas special in Britain only? And who can blame Mick? The Stones' performance was the weakest of the bunch, or at least not up to the energy level people expected from them. And this was when they were trying to relaunch themselves with Beggars Banquet.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 26, 2015 05:52

24FPS
At that point in time no one had ever seen someone fall apart right in front of you in showbiz.

Syd Barrett comes to mind. Elvis Presley a few years later, Billy Holiday a couple decades before...the list is longer than you might think.

peace

Date: January 26, 2015 11:26

Naturalust
24FPS
At that point in time no one had ever seen someone fall apart right in front of you in showbiz.

Syd Barrett comes to mind. Elvis Presley a few years later, Billy Holiday a couple decades before...the list is longer than you might think.

peace

Hank Williams
Johnny Ace
Ace Kefford
Brian Wilson
Skip Spence
Jet Harris
Peter Green...the list is endless.

And thats before you move onto actors/actresses.
And writers, of course.

Thats why Micks quote that "if it had been in the 1990s, Brian would have got more help" is somewhat shallow. There were plenty of services around in the late 60s.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 26, 2015 17:56

jlowe
Naturalust
24FPS

peace

Hank Williams
Johnny Ace
Ace Kefford
Brian Wilson
Skip Spence
Jet Harris

And writers, of course.

Thats why Micks quote that "if it had been in the 1990s, Brian would have got more help" is somewhat shallow. There were plenty of services around in the late 60s.

Really? Care to list this plethora of services?

Date: January 26, 2015 18:00

24FPS
Think about it. At that point in time no one had ever seen somewhat fall apart right in front of you in showbiz. It was obvious that there was something wrong with Brian. I don't know what the plan was for the concert. Wasn't it supposed to be a Christmas special in Britain only? And who can blame Mick? The Stones' performance was the weakest of the bunch, or at least not up to the energy level people expected from them. And this was when they were trying to relaunch themselves with Beggars Banquet.

Why? I thought it was great. Best ever JJF, a fantastic Parachute Woman, a great debut of YCAGWYW and a beautiful No Expectations.

How can that be weak?

Date: January 26, 2015 22:30

treaclefingers
jlowe
Naturalust
24FPS

peace

Hank Williams
Johnny Ace
Ace Kefford
Brian Wilson
Skip Spence
Jet Harris

And writers, of course.

SERVICES AVAILABLE.
Allthough the Stones individually and collectively had looming tax problems by the end of the 60s, they were hardly broke in the true sense. Brian had purchased Cotchford Farm for around 35,000 pounds sterling, a fortune in 1968.
He could have purchased the sort of treatment which only tired and emotional rich kids can receive. We know he stayed at The Priory in 1967 and of course psychiatric evaluations were undertaken in connection with his two court cases.
Of course the individual has to have the desire to be helped (witness Elvis and Jacko who wouldnt listen to advice and look what happened to them).
We can only speculate, but my feeling is that Brians problems were very complex and intensive therapy might have helped. Offloading medication to the patient, legally prescribed has its limitations.
I'm not laying any blame on anyone by the way. Brian was a Co Director of
Rolling Stones Ltd, so you might expect his business partners to offer some support, which no doubt did happen, to what extent noone outside their circle can know, for certain.
Equally family and friends. In the case of the former, relationships were clearly strained, in the latter Brians lifestyle would hardly have received a very judgemental response, many of his cohorts were taking far heavier drugs than Brian.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 26, 2015 22:51

Come On
Ha Ha, Jethro Tull is one of the most boring band I know of.

I used to not be able to stand them, always turned the channel when they came on the radio.

Then I saw them live as an opening act (which I was dreading) for someone else and became an instant fan, they were so good live.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 26, 2015 22:54

NICOS
Making a movie is boring for everybody.........you wait more then you actually work..........and you must see R&RC in the time they filmed it............for me I like it allot,waited for years and years this one was released after seeing dozens of pictures.

I went to the Chuck Berry Hail Hail Rock and Roll shows, and it does get boring, a lot of sitting around waiting for film to change, etc. They'd play 20 minutes, then a long pause of a bunch of folks standing around.

At least that's how the first show went.

Second show was a different story, they started having some fun and entertaining the crowd playing some old blues standards and such, many of which were better than what appeared in the film!

Either way an interesting experience. But not really like a concert...

Date: January 27, 2015 03:39

Naturalust
24FPS

peace

Maybe I'm looking at it from an American's standpoint. Brian Jones had a lot higher profile in the States than Syd Barett. Pink Floyd really didn't break here until Dark Side. We never SAW Billie Holiday fall apart on TV. She was out of the public eye. And we didn't see Elvis fat and sweaty footage until long after he was dead. The only person that was a little shocking to see was Judy Garland on TV. In fact her and Brian left this earth about the same time.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 27, 2015 04:12

jlowe
treaclefingers
jlowe
Naturalust
24FPS

peace

Hank Williams
Johnny Ace
Ace Kefford
Brian Wilson
Skip Spence
Jet Harris

And writers, of course.

SERVICES AVAILABLE.
Allthough the Stones individually and collectively had looming tax problems by the end of the 60s, they were hardly broke in the true sense. Brian had purchased Cotchford Farm for around 35,000 pounds sterling, a fortune in 1968.
He could have purchased the sort of treatment which only tired and emotional rich kids can receive. We know he stayed at The Priory in 1967 and of course psychiatric evaluations were undertaken in connection with his two court cases.
Of course the individual has to have the desire to be helped (witness Elvis and Jacko who wouldnt listen to advice and look what happened to them).
We can only speculate, but my feeling is that Brians problems were very complex and intensive therapy might have helped. Offloading medication to the patient, legally prescribed has its limitations.
I'm not laying any blame on anyone by the way. Brian was a Co Director of
Rolling Stones Ltd, so you might expect his business partners to offer some support, which no doubt did happen, to what extent noone outside their circle can know, for certain.
Equally family and friends. In the case of the former, relationships were clearly strained, in the latter Brians lifestyle would hardly have received a very judgemental response, many of his cohorts were taking far heavier drugs than Brian.

You answered the question and didn't actually answer the question!

You have a career in politics looming! smileys with beer

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: January 27, 2015 06:01

Naturalust
Too bad they didn't get a mime for Yoko's vocals.

The music jam is pretty damn rockin' if ya can get past Yoko's contribution. I'm pretty sure the applause at the end is because the tune is over. grinning smiley

peace

Right on there Naturalist.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 27, 2015 08:51

DandelionPowderman
24FPS

Why? I thought it was great. Best ever JJF, a fantastic Parachute Woman, a great debut of YCAGWYW and a beautiful No Expectations.

How can that be weak?

The time has been kind to their performance, and there are actual moments of brilliance, but the band is not not working all cylinders on, and sounds lacking some energy (the last probably doing with teh fact that they were atually tired by then). Keith does alright, but the band supposed to be a two guitar band, so there is a certain lack in their total sound (and to my eyes, even Keith is a bit lost sometimes, not quite home with the new spot he has - he needs support). Even Charlie, Bill and Keith don't 'click' as well as they could, probably due to not having much live experience. With the slow numbers - "No Expectations", and parts of "Can't Always Get What You Want" - there are no problem though. Mick "Turner" Jagger, however, sings and performs damn strongly throughout the show, and saves a lot.

But still they are awesome. With that fresh material and charisma and youthful determination back then they simply couldn't do much wrong.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-27 08:53 by Doxa.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: January 27, 2015 18:03

Spot on, Doxa. My thoughts exactly.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 27, 2015 20:35

I hate Tull because of the song with the "snot" line in it. And the rest of their boring songs.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1505
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home