Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Are the Stones worried about.....?
Posted by: Harm ()
Date: November 23, 2009 20:31

...the next tour? Worried about poor ticket sales? Bad reviews?
Do you think, or at least Mick Jagger, the Stones talk about it? Nowadays there is only one band that can fill stadiums I think, U2.

Re: Are the Stones worried about.....?
Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: November 23, 2009 20:34

No.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: November 23, 2009 20:55

Wrongo

Posted by: njlstones815 ()
Date: November 23, 2009 21:10

U2 did'nt sell out any shows here in the US this past October.You could buy tickets outside any stadium for as low as $10.00!!!

Date: November 23, 2009 21:25

njlstones815
U2 did'nt sell out any shows here in the US this past October.You could buy tickets outside any stadium for as low as $10.00!!!
Ok, sorry, let's not talk about U2.... but do they think about it? I'm sure concert promoters think twice nowadays before booking them.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: November 23, 2009 21:27

I think they need to go with arenas and be careful with the pricing. I am not sure I even want to pay $450 to see them again.

I think if they go stadiums they will be in trouble the way the were in the Fall of 2006 when they came back to North America.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: November 23, 2009 21:35

Only depends on the prices next year.

under the boardwalk---down by the sea

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 23, 2009 21:38

Worried is a big word

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: November 23, 2009 22:00

Financially it would be Kohl who would have to worry. The band is guaranteed, true?

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: November 23, 2009 22:04

I don't think so, but it depends on how they are going to perform the tour, stadiums or arenas, number of venues...

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: November 23, 2009 22:09

I think it is possible to make almost the same money at an arena as at a stadium.
The cost of renting the venue and security,clean up, and a higher scale of ticket pricing can go a long ways to closing the gap.

Date: November 23, 2009 22:27

Well, I got an answer from a concert promotor and he told me they would support them (of course) and that the Stones themselves still decide. So, no worries there!

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: November 23, 2009 22:27

You better believe Jagger is worried. He does not want to be involved in a weak tour, especially considering the mammoth success their previous tours have enjoyed. They CAN succeed, but it will take a tremendous effort from all of the band members. A focused approach - Steel Wheels Tour - will be required. The Stones have always been at their best when the hour seemed darkest.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 23, 2009 22:45

Why should the Stones have any worries about poor ticket sales? They sold pretty well on the last tour and tickets prices were sky high. If they're bright and want to ensure high ticket sales then lower the prices. Easy as that. It's not about money anymore but prestige so it doesn't take a mathematical genius to work out what to do.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: November 23, 2009 23:04

Harm
njlstones815

that doesnt mean the shows didnt sell out that just means scalpers had tix for sale what are u talking about, u2 sold out every US date

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: November 23, 2009 23:06

if they try to match U2 they are toast.

the stones should start off with a mixed tour like in 78.they did very small theaters in some major markets i.e the only new york gig was the palladium and in detroit it was the 3000 seat masonic temple.this created huge demand for the 81 tour three years later.in 81 they played 2 nights in detroit to about 160,000.

they should do a 2010 tour the same way and lead into a 50 year anniv tour.

BUT,they need a good record and to stop jerking the fans around on the tickets.for myself,for the first time after 35 years of seeing the stones live i can imagine myself just saying screw it.[brown sugar and jumping jack flash again,with 2 songs off of a lame new album,really?-no thanks.]

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: November 23, 2009 23:13

If the Stones singing some of their most famous songs - Warhorses - bores you, then that in and of itself is a sign they might have trouble selling tickets. If the public can no longer get excited about J.J. Flash, HTW, BS, - then maybe the demand for the STones will be small. Indian Girl won't bring the crowds.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: November 23, 2009 23:24

lem motlow
if they try to match U2 they are toast.

BUT,they need a good record and to stop jerking the fans around on the tickets.for myself,for the first time after 35 years of seeing the stones live i can imagine myself just saying screw it.[brown sugar and jumping jack flash again,with 2 songs off of a lame new album,really?-no thanks.]

I hear ya man, and iam starting to feel the same way

Date: November 23, 2009 23:56

Shawn20
If the Stones singing some of their most famous songs - Warhorses - bores you, then that in and of itself is a sign they might have trouble selling tickets. If the public can no longer get excited about J.J. Flash, HTW, BS, - then maybe the demand for the STones will be small. Indian Girl won't bring the crowds.
its not that seeing the guys do the old songs bores me,its the constant jump through hoops/hose job/hype job crap that they do to their fans.

10 stones tickets@ $120 =$1200 or 10 stones tickets=4 sold to a diehard who HAS to see the show @ $450 + 6 given away to some corporate sponsor=$1800.

thats stones math,the band get the big box office gross/ego stroke, the corporate guys get to hand out tickets to their friends and clients with $450 written on them and you get to pay up.and to that inevitable person who says "why don't you just stay home then" ..leaning that way pal.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: November 23, 2009 23:57

This is the usual scenario: Michael Cohl approaches the Stones, says, "You´ll get this much money for a tour consisting of x number of shows". So he is the one who worries if shows are not sold out, cause he is the one who "bought" the tour.
Adding extra shows is icing on the cake. So the last tour when at some venues free/reduced priced tix were given out, it did not concern the Stones financially, as they already got their guarantee, but it looked better if a venue was not half filled. With todays enormous productions, I read somewhere that it takes about half a tour before the books are in the black.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: November 24, 2009 02:16

mickijaggeroo
This is the usual scenario: Michael Cohl approaches the Stones, says, "You´ll get this much money for a tour consisting of x number of shows". So he is the one who worries if shows are not sold out, cause he is the one who "bought" the tour.
Adding extra shows is icing on the cake. So the last tour when at some venues free/reduced priced tix were given out, it did not concern the Stones financially, as they already got their guarantee, but it looked better if a venue was not half filled. With todays enormous productions, I read somewhere that it takes about half a tour before the books are in the black.
exactly,but in years past it was a slam dunk,now not so much.the bands last record barely went gold,they,ve angered their fans by robbing them since about 99,and havent had a hit in years.they also lost alot of their luster by getting torched by ac/dc in a one on one setting.time has just caught up to the old champs and i really dont want to see them embarrassed.if they hold the big ROLLING STONES TOUR press conference and book a bunch of stadiums 2010 i feel a collective yawn coming on.have you ever seen those old video clips of the usfl football league,all those empty seats.i hope it doesnt end that way.

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: November 24, 2009 02:22

Not worried.

Maybe about a new setlist? winking smiley LOL

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 24, 2009 04:07

For the Voodoo tour they didn't break even until show #42 or something whack like that. I'm sure it was close to the same for Bridges as far as fronting the money (which the Stones do - not ALL of it but a decent portion of it).

They do indeed need to pay attention to U2's tour - all of it. Europe and NA. Not to get even financially but just to make it work financially. I'm sure there are things people don't know about that they wouldn't even think of that the Stones people think of that makes differences in how they will do a tour compared to Steel Wheels vs Voodoo, Voodoo vs Bridges, Bridges vs Licks, Licks vs Bang, etc... they get to hone it, cut the dead weight so to speak. Fine tune it. They've gotten very very good at cutting down on losing money (costs) for shit they didn't know about (1981-82 and 89-90 tours). They've learned AND invented/refined the big tour. Why do you think U2 uses the same people?

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: November 24, 2009 06:58

If they go out again next year, there is no doubt that people will come. The only drawback is that the economic situation in the US is difficult, BUT the E Street Band will be on hiatus and U2's tour should be coming to a close. Therefore, the Stones will be in good position to take up the slack. With that, the cycle of praise & slagging from the usual suspects will begin anew. In other words, it will be business as usual. So, the cheerleaders and the naysayers should start gearing up for it. Get your scorecards ready, folks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-24 07:01 by bassplayer617.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: November 24, 2009 07:17

i haven't done concerts in 15yrs because i can't handle crowds i miss it but i get panic attacks but if the stones tour again i would defo give it my best to handle it because who knows if i'd ever get the chance again

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: November 24, 2009 07:22

ghostryder13
i haven't done concerts in 15yrs because i can't handle crowds i miss it but i get panic attacks but if the stones tour again i would defo give it my best to handle it because who knows if i'd ever get the chance again

well you have some time to do some strategic planning, must be all kinds of things you can do to help make it work. Good luck.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: November 24, 2009 07:55

Singing the same old crap ain't gonna fill a phone booth. They might get away with charging somewhwat ridiculous prices for an arena. But even the tarps aon't gonna show up for a greatest hits tour....Unless,it's BV and all his friends. Then they can sell a milion tickets.thumbs down

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: boogie1969 ()
Date: November 24, 2009 10:09

They aren't worried about anything. All they care about is money at this point, and I doubt they are worried about whether they will make boatloads if they tour again.

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: November 24, 2009 10:49

The Stones did the MCG here for Voodoo Lounge, but the 15,000 seat Rod Laver Arena since then. I say do more shows in arena's, and a theatre show in each major market for IORR forum members.

Date: November 24, 2009 11:01

<For the Voodoo tour they didn't break even until show #42 or something>

You mean Cohl didn't break even before that.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2046
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home