Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Victor Bokris' Keith book & best/favorite Stones books?
Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: November 21, 2009 00:02

"A life on the road" is a beautiful book!

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 21, 2009 01:02

Rockman
The Bockris classic performance is the frantic - rappin'- rave at the tail end of Let It Bleed ....

Sorry about it being out of sync!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 21, 2009 05:03

Bliss wrote >>Stanley, on the other hand, has trouble with his role of biographer. He clearly sees himself as a fellow artist, a musicologist with authentic credentials of a first-hand connection to the Southern blues music that the Stones could only appropriate second-hand.<<

He didn't have trouble with his role at all. they wanted him there. He did write a book, and its not reportage, it's a book. Of course he put himself in it. Somehow I don't think he elevated himself to as important as his subject in doing so; also I don't think anyone in the band became as self -important as you say.

Truman Capote got bored with the Stones in '72. Stanley Booth in 1969 clearly was not a bit bored.

Posted by: gypsy18 ()
Date: November 21, 2009 05:43

duke richardson
Stanley Booth is a fine writer, his Stones book "The True Adventures..', and his book 'Keith' are really good. Also check out his 'Rhythm Oil' and if you can find it, a hilarious Playboy interview with Keith, from 1988..

why he's been so inactive recently, I'd like to know..

Agree. I love "Rhythm Oil." He does kiss Keith's ass though. I know he wanted to do a Gram Parsons bio, but there have been two released over the past couple of years by other authors. One very good one by David Meyer that I highly recommend. Once you read Meyer's, it's apparent that there is no need for another Gram bio. I'm sure Booth realized that too.

Posted by: RWFish ()
Date: November 21, 2009 06:54

Robert Greenfield's 'STP -A Journey through America with the Rolling Stones' really captures both the '72 tour and Socio-political times in the United States. It remains the best book I've read on the Stones and one of their tours.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1564
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home