Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: I met Keith Richards last week...
Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: November 19, 2009 13:21

misterfrias
That's so awesome. I would love to meet Keith, just to shake his hand.

i once had the chance to do that at a meet and greet in zurich, switzerland. the funny thing was, that he first missed my hand and just went on to the next guy..hahaa i really had to grab it again. 2nd try worked. wouldn't that have been stupid to have a meet and greet with keith without greeting him properly?...;-)

if its true, really cool story carl!

***** i'm a cold italian pizza *****

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: November 19, 2009 14:07

Superb story, I'd be as nervous as hell! Shame one poster has to try and spoil it.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: November 19, 2009 14:54

ablett
Superb story, I'd be as nervous as hell! Shame one poster has to try and spoil it.

The "said poster" has already apologized smiling smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: November 19, 2009 15:34

On the subject of being nervous/ tongue-tied when meeting your heroes, I totally understand.

I met Bill at Sticky Fingers in the early 90's. He was eating there in a corner booth and a friend set it up so that I could slide in next to him for a photo. That was all fine and we had a pleasant exchange - "How you doing?/ nice to meet you etc."

It was when I realised that none other than Mick Taylor was sitting opposite me that I lost it. I think I just blurted out something like "Oh my god, it's you!" What a dickhead! (me that is, not MT) He was just grinning at me - I probably looked like I'd seen a ghost or something. So God knows what I'd have done had it been Keith.

Posted by: yorkey ()
Date: November 19, 2009 15:55

I wonder how many times the Stones have had to greet people like that who come up them... Must be brazillions of times. grinning smiley

Ah I would give an arm and a leg to speak to Keith or MJ and Mick T. One can dream eh smoking smiley

You got the Sun, You got the Moon,
and you've got
The Rolling Stones

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 19, 2009 16:44

Hey everyone we're all human beings such as any "Rock Star". Absolutely no reason to show fear to anyone. Because you're not a "Rock Star" - your not on their level? I disagree. Everyone should be treated with respect. In actuality no one is any better than anyone else. You never know ...

Carl (MSG69) might have made Keith's night.

I know L.O. will receive negative feedback stating that is impossible.

Posted by: RockinBud ()
Date: November 19, 2009 17:21

Chris Fountain
Hey everyone we're all human beings such as any "Rock Star". Absolutely no reason to show fear to anyone. Because you're not a "Rock Star" - your not on their level? I disagree. Everyone should be treated with respect. In actuality no one is any better than anyone else. You never know ...

Agreed, I met Ronnie Wood at POP Gallery NYC several times, I told him that I bought one of his prints and he asked me,"do you like the red one or the blue Stray Cat Blues?"..I was touched by his inquiry because he genuinely sought my opinion...I then introduced him to my then 20 myr old daughter and he greeted her with a kiss on the cheek,, very sweet.
I have met several people who had met Keith and I felt I was always one person removed from meeting the man..in my heart of hearts I felt that would always happen and it did...Congrats to Carl

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: November 19, 2009 17:52

No reason to be afraid if you should bump into Keith.
He really is the friendliest, warmest real gentleman you could meet.
But you might not want to stick your cell phone camera in his face, and you really shouldn't scream "Hey Keith".... etc. Just treat him with respect and the right moment will occur. Just don't come rushing towards him like a threatening madman - I've seen people doing just that, unfortunately - and it's intimidating.

The first time I met him, I was very nervous before someone from his crew came to take me to the Camp X-Ray. But once inside his quarters, everything was so relaxed and friendly - no trace of nervousity. He started the conversation and it was just a very nice, realxed atmosphere. My friends, whom I'd been allowed to bring to the Rattlesnake inn, however, were very nervous and almost wet their pants. (Hi Karen from Texas and Max from Stockholm! Sorry, couldn't resist telling this, because your faces were beyond description when I got back.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-20 13:34 by Addicted.

Posted by: TE ()
Date: November 19, 2009 18:17

OK, me 2 cents worth as well.
Haven't been reading for a few days and loved this thread.

Great example when it comes to Keith...
The Toronto/Sars one (Justin K) is a good one. When he probably thinks "He*s a decent guy", after all. One more bottle and...

TE
Oslo

Posted by: oldfan ()
Date: November 19, 2009 18:19

I too had a chance meeting with Keith and was very impressed by his friendliness, and patience. We were at the airport in St. Thomas,U.S.V.I. waiting for a plane on the way home from a family vacation.My wife noticed that Keith was at the very small bar in the airport. I greeted him with a "pleased to meet you" and as we shook hands he replied, "hope you guess my name". I told him how much the Stones music had meant to me over the years. He said he was on holiday and mentioned the BTB tour that had ended a number of months before. I told him that I had really enjoyed the BTB shows that I attended. I asked him about a photo and he very graciously posed with us (wife and two kids,all fans).As the photo was snapped he remarked,'Just like with me and my mates!"

Posted by: loveyoulive75 ()
Date: November 19, 2009 18:20

Chris Fountain
League Office has apologized more than enough and will not stand for anymore bashing for minor incident. If you have a problem e-mail address is available by simply clicking on name.

Chris, what in the name of sweet chocolate christ is this League Office you're always blathering on about? It's getting old...

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 19, 2009 18:35

Loveyoulive75

Another attack. If you have an issue my e-mail address is available and I will provide phone number.

My post only averagesto one a day over the course of my 5 year membership. If humour is used it makes for a better forum. I do not use my alliance with the L.O. on every post. Again e-mail and we will talk. I notice your e-mail isn't available. You can dish it out but can't take it.

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-19 18:38 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: November 19, 2009 18:54

Cool story.

Love to have the chance to meet up with any of them, be nervous but it would be a life time experience as well.thumbs up

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 19, 2009 20:41

His answer 'it is what it is', to me sounds almost like he doesn't really care about the re-release.

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: November 19, 2009 20:45

he looks better in person....btw He does like to hit a certain steak house in midtown......nyc.....but i wont devulge...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 19, 2009 21:18

a little bit of advice when you happen upon one of the stones or any other major rock stars .talk to them about everyday stuff like the weather or normal stuff .once you start with you did this album or what does this lyric mean they will tune you out and walk away or you will have to leave .like when someone that DOES not work with me says WHY did you do that or WHERE did you go and stuff like that im like what's it to you buddy.

Posted by: tomstones ()
Date: November 19, 2009 21:37

Steaks... That´s the reason why his fingers look like they do. Too much meat.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: November 20, 2009 01:20

MissNBrian
The Worst.
Chris Fountain
No offense -

Story seems vague in nature and bogus to me. What was the name of the restaurant? "It is what it is?" sounds strange. Keith Richards is English and would automatically sign the name with a "C". Also "nervously approached Keith" is theatrics. If you're a true fan why be scared?

I can't see any reason what so ever not to belive him.
Wouldn't you too have been a bit nervous approaching
Keith in a situation like that?

A 'bit' nervous??? I think if I'd ever bump into Keith (or any of the others) I'd hope to have a '2nd pair of pants' around (joking) grinning smiley Seriously, I'm sure I'd be just about dyin', but would hope I could pull it together enough to say something (and hopefully not look too much like an idiot in the process) grinning smiley

Most awesome story btw!! thanx for sharing!!

Yeah, well I know I would have been very nervous. For the simple reason, that Keith probably had the biggest influence on my life. Definitely he is my biggest hero. The point is, you know “everything” about this person. You’ve read anything and everything about him – you feel like you almost know him as a personal friend. So, I guess, when you meet your idol for the first time it is indeed a bit weird – because for him, I am just a regular guy. That’s why I always had a fear to be disappointed. Just like Mick said he was disappointed when he met Chuck Berry. Of course I do not compare Berry with Richards – two totally different personalities.

I always wondered how I would react the first time I met a stone. I got the answer this summer, when Ron Wood visited my hometown Kristiansand, Norway. He played with Slash at the Quart festival in June. A friend of mine is an employee at SAS (Scandinavian Airlins System). She told me the time Ronnie’s airplane would leave the airport the day after the show. I went out to the airport and the adrenalin was pumping after I got thru the security check and searched for Ronnie. I know he loves bananas, so to break the ice I brought a present with me: 3 bananas beautifully wrapped. I just told him I brought some snack for the trip. His reaction was a relief; “Oh GREAT!” he said loud followed by laughs. Then we talked for a bit, he signed my “Love You Live” vinyl and I wished him a safe trip home. It was a great moment, and he was very friendly. Meeting Keith, tough, would be a very nervous moment I guess.

Posted by: DaisyGrace ()
Date: November 20, 2009 05:41

oldfan
I too had a chance meeting with Keith and was very impressed by his friendliness, and patience. We were at the airport in St. Thomas,U.S.V.I. waiting for a plane on the way home from a family vacation.My wife noticed that Keith was at the very small bar in the airport. I greeted him with a "pleased to meet you" and as we shook hands he replied, "hope you guess my name". I told him how much the Stones music had meant to me over the years. He said he was on holiday and mentioned the BTB tour that had ended a number of months before. I told him that I had really enjoyed the BTB shows that I attended. I asked him about a photo and he very graciously posed with us (wife and two kids,all fans).As the photo was snapped he remarked,'Just like with me and my mates!"

Nice! Love it. It's great that he acknowledges not only who he is but his place in rock and roll. He doesn't sound like he comes across as "above it all" or whatever.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: November 20, 2009 07:19

Chris Fountain
Hey everyone we're all human beings such as any "Rock Star". Absolutely no reason to show fear to anyone. Because you're not a "Rock Star" - your not on their level? I disagree. Everyone should be treated with respect. In actuality no one is any better than anyone else.

EXACTAMUNDO !!!

Posted by: yorkey ()
Date: November 20, 2009 11:09

The Greek
a little bit of advice when you happen upon one of the stones or any other major rock stars .talk to them about everyday stuff like the weather or normal stuff .once you start with you did this album or what does this lyric mean they will tune you out and walk away or you will have to leave .like when someone that DOES not work with me says WHY did you do that or WHERE did you go and stuff like that im like what's it to you buddy.

I'll still ask him what the rmk means in Child Of The Moon though.

You got the Sun, You got the Moon,
and you've got
The Rolling Stones

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: November 20, 2009 11:14

I've enjoyed reading these stories !
I am sure i wil be a bit nervous if I had to meet Keith or Mick ,even if I'd try to hyde it.
Of course they are human beings just like you and me but they are also kinds of idols,so...

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: November 20, 2009 13:39

The Worst!
Lost your number. (New stupid phone... and a manual that's 1100 pages of shite) Please text me. S

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: November 21, 2009 02:10

It was THEN that it turned UGLY, Lol

Date: November 21, 2009 02:17

I have mixed views on this type of thing.
I agree with what one poster wrote above. In general use your instincts
to see if they are interested in chatting or not. Just say something witty/
pleasant and keep moving if they seem uncomf. Probably in the company of
females, child, parent, (or female alone) would be a different dynamic.
That's just my two cents. He made the remark that it looked like Patti
was coming to "rescue him". Were your friends chatting with him at that point?
The last thing any of us want is for Keef to be thinking is this my M. Chapman
moment? I don't want to rain on anyone's parade though - so good for you
-you finally ran into him near where you reside and got your item signed.

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: November 21, 2009 05:42

lol...

Posted by: squando ()
Date: November 21, 2009 06:53

Really great read. Both your first and second posts. Hahaha.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: November 21, 2009 13:39

Top stuff MSG69 i must say i an envious of you- congratulations.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 21, 2009 15:55

yorkey
Ah I would give an arm and a leg to speak to Keith or MJ and Mick T. One can dream eh

Hi yorkey,I made a couple of hours a sarcastic remark concerning your dream.
No way it was meant offensive towards anyone here or elsewhere.
Obviously and surprisingly it was deleted by Bjornulf.

Although he explains detailed why and how threads ( and posts ) get closed/deleted,
( mainly caused by those with the nervous finger on the "report trigger" ) it´s to say it
mildly ridicoulus to delete my post whereas for a quite long run T&A´s style ( not the member,of course )
could be posted without problems and/or questionable statements
concerning child abuse could be posted without delete...

Well,as Bjornulf said in the troll thread,it´s not always fair...

Dream on,yorkey....but please take care of your body parts...smiling smiley

Date: November 22, 2009 08:00

I saw Mick Taylor in concert, after the show he walked off stage and I came up to him - he said"let me take a piss and then I'll sign your stuff". True story

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 964
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home