Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Have the Stones ever done this?
Posted by: thunderball ()
Date: November 8, 2009 14:29

[www.nme.com]

Morrissey abandonded last nights concert in Liverpool midway through the second song after being struck by a 'missile', thrown from the audience. It got me thinking if any similar has happened to our boys. I know of the time when Keith battered the stage invader with his guitar but can't remember them ever walking off stage over a similar incident. There are some very knowledgeable people here so I hope someone can tell me if, when and where.

Thanks

thumbs up

Re: Have the Stones ever done this?
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: November 8, 2009 16:02

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 8, 2009 16:33

Did Morrissey cry?

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 8, 2009 19:04

they had to stop the show when Keith got electrocuted at Sacramento in december 65 -
but the power went out and they had no choice, so that probably doesn't count. :E

Mick needed stitches after he got hit with a flying piece of chair at Marseilles in march 66 -
i never read about them stopping the show on account of it, but i don't know if he just kept singing with the blood dripping eye popping smiley
maybe he did - they were accustomed to carrying on regardless of various bandmembers getting tackled, dragged off the stage, etc -
they are the Rolling Stones

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-08 19:11 by with sssoul.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: November 8, 2009 19:16

the stones are professionals , they know fans paid good money to see and hear them perform. they stood tall at altamont when most bands would of coward in fear

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 8, 2009 19:20

Lou Reed left stage in Aarhus, Denmark, after a stupid person had thrown a beer on stage after Lou.
It was March 1977. Lou had played some 55 minutes - then he said: "Nobody throws Beer at me" and left stage.
Shortly after the stage and consert place, Vejlby-Risskov Hallen, had turned into a big mess. Things were destroyed - both music- and hall equipment.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: November 8, 2009 19:29

Led Zep had to leave early in Italy July 71 after the police tear gassed the crowd. The Who had to leave early in 68 at the Fillmore East when the building caught on fire. Townshend notoriously hit the police man on stage thinking he was a lunitic fan.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 8, 2009 19:35

well if shows being stopped by authorities count, the early Stones had miles of those.
the Kurhaus gig comes to mind - august 8th 1964

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: November 8, 2009 19:39

The Stones stopped a show in 2005 due to a bomb alert. But they came back and finished the show.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: November 8, 2009 19:41

axl rose walks off stage anytime a fan looks at him wrong

Date: November 8, 2009 19:55

sure: 08-08-1964 Kurhaus - Scheveningen - Holland. Show stoped after 3 songs.
Chairs came tumbling down on the stage! Check you-tube, it's there!

Date: November 8, 2009 20:02

See it happen here yawning smiley))

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: November 8, 2009 20:40

I think that on Colson's 72 Tour site there is an account of Mick having a whiskey bottle thrown at him and thereafter him addressing the audience by telling them not to throw bottles at him. Also, there is the famous boot story in Anaheim at the close of the 78 US tour where there was one really cool boot thrown on stage, and both Ronnie & Mick expressed later that they wished that the guy had thrown the 2nd boot up, because it was a cool pair.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 8, 2009 20:57

with sssoul
well if shows being stopped by authorities count, the early Stones had miles of those.
the Kurhaus gig comes to mind - august 8th 1964

A chaotic couple of weeks that must have been, hot on the heels of the riots in Blackpool and Belfast in late July which saw those shows abandoned. The Belfast show lasted something like 8 minutes.

Date: November 8, 2009 21:00

Bands should have used "The Faces solution" - having their own bar on stage. Then it wouldn't have been necessary throwing beers on stage.
I didn't know about it before Rod Stewart mentioned it in an interview.
A very cool thing having a bar / bartender on stage serving drinks etc. yawning smiley)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-08 21:23 by mtaylor.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 8, 2009 21:22

It's a shame that one idiot ruins it for everyone.

I don't blame him for leaving. He's a musician, not a stuntman.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: November 8, 2009 21:51

Didn't Keith kick someone in the face when the Scots came to town on their summer holiday? This was in the early to mid-sixties.
The crowd went even more wild and the band had to leave the stage in a hurry!

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: November 9, 2009 02:09

What a absolute wimp. Is this rock n roll or broadway???? Getting hit by a open water bottle? C'mon and then leaving, what a conceited, arrogant nerd.

mtaylor

THIS IS HOW TO HANDLE STUFF THROWN AT YOU . . .

or like this . . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-12 05:17 by NorthShoreBlues2.

Date: November 9, 2009 12:22

STONES - 1964 - KURHAUS

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 9, 2009 12:44

Harlem Shuffler
Didn't Keith kick someone in the face when the Scots came to town on their summer holiday? This was in the early to mid-sixties.
The crowd went even more wild and the band had to leave the stage in a hurry!

I think the gig you're referring to is Blackpool 64. The British journalist Roy Carr was in the audience and wrote about it in the foreword to his excellent 70s coffee table book The Rolling Stones: An Illustrated Record.

Here is some excellent footage of the Stones retreating from the stage after fans rioted at the Kurhaus in Holland 64.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 9, 2009 16:00

Remember Toronto 2003 with a bottled guest...
Keith doin´the stage police around 4:55...

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: November 9, 2009 16:10

mtaylor
Lou Reed left stage in Aarhus, Denmark, after a stupid person had thrown a beer on stage after Lou.
It was March 1977. Lou had played some 55 minutes - then he said: "Nobody throws Beer at me" and left stage.
Shortly after the stage and consert place, Vejlby-Risskov Hallen, had turned into a big mess. Things were destroyed - both music- and hall equipment.

Lou Reed left on that tour after 20 Minutes in Mannheim. Then somebody came out and said he was annoyed by a person and the person should leave the theatre. Very strange. Anyway he came back and left after 10 Minutes again with the words that he's fed up.
I do not think that Lou Reed would do it today, but there are still some artists who just overdid it.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: November 11, 2009 12:24

I think in one of the Dallas 89 shows shows Mick addresses the audience after having a bottle thrown at him, tapes circulate of this.

At Wembley 82 I remember an apple thrown at Mick, he caught it (behind his back) and threw it back.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: November 11, 2009 12:50

loog droog

Why not just get the culprit ejected and continue the concert?
Why punish an entire audience for one persons stupidity?
They've paid good money and done nothing wrong. If he'd been badly injured I could understand it and I suspect the audience would too, but there is no reason to end the show like that.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 11, 2009 13:31

mtaylor

i wonder if the Morrissey fans in the first 10 rows pummeled the beer-thrower?!?!?
This is why the Stones hire models for the front rows. winking smiley

it is strange that someone that presuambly payedid a pretty penny for that ticket
would throw a tasty 32 ouncer at him. But (as a beer-lover myself) drinking beer
out of a plastic cup sucks.

it seemed to bounce off without doing much damage.
maybe when Morrissey felt the wetness on his head he thought is was blood. (??)

the show must go on. this will only encourage others to embarrass him.

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-11 13:34 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 11, 2009 16:42

vudicus
loog droog

Why not just get the culprit ejected and continue the concert?
Why punish an entire audience for one persons stupidity?
They've paid good money and done nothing wrong. If he'd been badly injured I could understand it and I suspect the audience would too, but there is no reason to end the show like that.

It goes without saying that the guy who threw the bottle should be ejected, and given a little rough justice on top of that.

Morrissey's reaction was extreme, but remember it is Morrissey, Mr. Super-Sensitive. Yes, it looks like he wasn't physically hurt, but he's probably still crying over being treated like a carnival milk bottle.

I'm sure his fans will now be extra-aware of stopping anyone looking like they are about to throw anything on his stage. Which is good. Why wait until the guy is "badly injured?"

A lot of people were disappointed, and that's a shame. But maybe after this, people will thing twice about throwing stuff at musicians. It's a line that shouldn't be crossed.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: November 11, 2009 20:15

Happened to Johnny Winter in Roskilde.
100% right to abandon the stage.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: November 11, 2009 23:28

Posted by: thunderball ()
Date: November 22, 2009 14:45

He's at it again!

[www.nme.com]

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: November 22, 2009 15:00

Angus Young

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1941
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home